Weghorst

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Fretters
Been Liked: 1051 times
Has Liked: 554 times

Re: Weghorst

Post by Fretters » Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:43 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:41 pm
Means more winning headers for knock downs and being used as a head on a stick/target man - which incidentally (though far past his best) Crouchy showed that he couldn't do whilst he was here... was very annoying seeing Dyche launch the ball into the box for the 10 mins or so he was on the pitch whilst Vydra was twiddling his thumbs on the bench, though I'll digress.
Agreed, Vydra was criminally underused IMO. But Crouch did win us our first penalty of the season by being a 'head on a stick'!

Goliath
Been Liked: 238 times
Has Liked: 106 times

Post by Goliath » Sat Mar 23, 2024 6:31 pm

bfcjg wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:19 pm
Ross Wallace made goal for Danny Ings winner at bstards when we finally put them in their place.
True but he was still frustratingly crap and petulant.

taio
Been Liked: 3244 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:00 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 5:19 pm
Well to say he went on record speaking about his time at westerlo & the struggles he encountered & how he received help from them I'd expect the club to know nothing :roll:
He said it last July. I thought you'd given up arguing the toss.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1185 times
Has Liked: 779 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:15 pm

taio wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2024 8:00 pm
He said it last July. I thought you'd given up arguing the toss.
I said all day we've actually moved into the evening now ;) if you seriously believe the club (any club) are going to fork out £12m without carrying out any sort of preliminary health checks safeguarding their investment you'll be defending from a really weaker position than the weak position you are already in. I said before the club don't do enough research but I don't believe they are that bad.

Quicknick
Been Liked: 1217 times
Has Liked: 7199 times

Post by Quicknick » Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:10 am

I'd like Weghorst back in the squad.

Peter Loo
Been Liked: 135 times
Has Liked: 97 times

Post by Peter Loo » Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:40 am

Quicknick wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:10 am
I'd like Weghorst back in the squad.
What do you like about him?

Quicknick

Post by Quicknick » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:30 am

Peter Loo wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:40 am
What do you like about him?
He holds the ball up well and is skillful. He looks good when playing for Holland. I think a lot of Burnley fans dislike him because they think he has an attitude. How does any fan know? Anyway, the Dutch tend to say exactly what they think.
This user liked this post: KateR

GetIntoEm
Been Liked: 153 times
Has Liked: 49 times

Post by GetIntoEm » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:39 am

i'd have him back in a flash tbh

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:40 am

Quicknick wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:30 am
He holds the ball up well and is skillful. He looks good when playing for Holland. I think a lot of Burnley fans dislike him because they think he has an attitude. How does any fan know? Anyway, the Dutch tend to say exactly what they think.
Fair enough point QN but I wonder if Company values him though.

jlup1980
Been Liked: 858 times
Has Liked: 531 times

Post by jlup1980 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:02 pm

We went into a PL season with Foster as our main striker and Jay Rod as back up. Surely Wout would have been a better option?

Unfortunately, I think he burnt a few bridges when he packed up and left after relegation. The Roberts incident in the Holland vs Wales match proved as much. As has already been said though, he didn't really do anything wrong. The club knew he wouldn't drop to the Championship when they signed him. He needed top flight European football to get the opportunity to play in the World Cup.

Some will say he's a deadweight, but since heading off on various loans he's done well at Besiktas (9 goals in 18 appearances), made his mark at the World Cup (almost dragged Holland through vs Argentina) and then spent a significant time on loan at Man Utd, including playing a part in winning the League Cup (scored in the semi final, got an assist in the final). I suspect he'll say his decision to not drop down to the Championship was justified.
This user liked this post: Paul Waine

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32546 times
Has Liked: 5279 times

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:12 pm

jlup1980 wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:02 pm
We went into a PL season with Foster as our main striker and Jay Rod as back up. Surely Wout would have been a better option?

Unfortunately, I think he burnt a few bridges when he packed up and left after relegation. The Roberts incident in the Holland vs Wales match proved as much. As has already been said though, he didn't really do anything wrong. The club knew he wouldn't drop to the Championship when they signed him. He needed top flight European football to get the opportunity to play in the World Cup.

Some will say he's a deadweight, but since heading off on various loans he's done well at Besiktas (9 goals in 18 appearances), made his mark at the World Cup (almost dragged Holland through vs Argentina) and then spent a significant time on loan at Man Utd, including playing a part in winning the League Cup (scored in the semi final, got an assist in the final). I suspect he'll say his decision to not drop down to the Championship was justified.
Don’t think Dyche ever wanted him, Jackson dropped him and Kompany didn’t want him.

Quicknick

Post by Quicknick » Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:13 pm

jlup1980 wrote:

I agree with all that. Good player. Easily good enough for us.

Quicknick

Post by Quicknick » Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:14 pm

South West Claret. wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:40 am
Fair enough point QN but I wonder if Company values him though.
Probably not, SWC.

Stalbansclaret
Been Liked: 1666 times
Has Liked: 2984 times

Post by Stalbansclaret » Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:28 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 1:12 pm
Don’t think Dyche ever wanted him, Jackson dropped him and Kompany didn’t want him.
I remember listening to the Monday Night Club football discussion programme on Radio 5 a few weeks after we signed Weghorst and when Dyche was a studio guest, He (Dyche) praised Weghorst to the skies for his attitude and professionalism and definitely sounded like a fan at that stage at least.
This user liked this post: Quicknick

Darthlaw
Has Liked: 418 times

Post by Darthlaw » Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:05 pm

jlup1980 wrote:
Some will say he's a deadweight, but since heading off on various loans he's done well at Besiktas (9 goals in 18 appearances), made his mark at the World Cup (almost dragged Holland through vs Argentina) and then spent a significant time on loan at Man Utd, including playing a part in winning the League Cup (scored in the semi final, got an assist in the final).
Gotta say this is spin of Alastair Campbell levels.

His goals at Besiktas were reaching Brereton Diaz levels of simplicity in a poor league and it showed with Man U, inspired by two goals in ET at the World Cup (and not much else), he returned to the PL and again couldn't score in a brothel. I had the displeasure of attending a few games in corporate at Man U last season, for a previous employer, and from a high vantage point saw that Weghorst just wasnt making the runs to get into the position of scoring.

He might do something at Championship level but I don't think he's cut out for the PL.

Poulton-le-Claret
Been Liked: 95 times
Has Liked: 197 times

Post by Poulton-le-Claret » Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:21 pm

The guy will be 32 and have 1 year left on his deal by the time next season starts. He won't play for Burnley again.

Quicknick

Post by Quicknick » Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:34 pm

Poulton-le-Claret wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:21 pm
The guy will be 32 and have 1 year left on his deal by the time next season starts. He won't play for Burnley again.
We need to sell him, then. If not, play him for a year. He'll be good in the Championship.
This user liked this post: Poulton-le-Claret

South West Claret.

Post by South West Claret. » Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:48 pm

Quicknick wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:34 pm
We need to sell him, then. If not, play him for a year. He'll be good in the Championship.
Thought he didn’t want to play in the championship.

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:51 pm

Quicknick wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:34 pm
He refuses to play in the championship it'll be another loan anything to just drag it out until his time contracted expires.

Burnley Ace
Been Liked: 656 times
Has Liked: 2899 times

Post by Burnley Ace » Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:53 pm

Rather have Wout than Roberts.
This user liked this post: Paul Waine

Boss Hogg
Been Liked: 863 times
Has Liked: 1097 times

Post by Boss Hogg » Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:20 pm

Wout isn’t cut out for PL football. Simple as that. He could perform miracles in other/ lesser leagues. It makes no difference.

South West Claret.

Post by South West Claret. » Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:28 pm

Burnley Ace wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 3:53 pm
Rather have Wout than Roberts.
Did someone mention Roberts.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/68645985

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2352 times
Has Liked: 3182 times

Post by Paul Waine » Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:35 pm

South West Claret. wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:48 pm
Thought he didn’t want to play in the championship.
Jakubclaret wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:51 pm

He refuses to play in the championship it'll be another loan anything to just drag it out until his time contracted expires.
Wout Weghorst was signed in January when Burnley were in relegation place. The World Cup in Qatar would be in November/December that year. The Netherlands manager had said that he would only pick players who were playing in the top division, whichever league they were playing in. So, to sign Weghorst that agreement was made that if Burnley were relegated the club would support him going out on loan to help him get into the Netherlands world cup squad.

As there's no world cup, or Euros next season there's no reason why Wout Weghorst won't want to play for Burnley if the club is relegated at the end of next season.

Connor Roberts was "upset" at Wout Weghorst scoring for Netherlands against Wales. I'd rather the club had let Connor Roberts go if there was any friction between the two players and Roberts wouldn't make things right with Wout Weghorst.

UTC

Jakubclaret

Post by Jakubclaret » Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:51 pm

Paul Waine wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 5:35 pm
Wout Weghorst was signed in January when Burnley were in relegation place. The World Cup in Qatar would be in November/December that year. The Netherlands manager had said that he would only pick players who were playing in the top division, whichever league they were playing in. So, to sign Weghorst that agreement was made that if Burnley were relegated the club would support him going out on loan to help him get into the Netherlands world cup squad.

As there's no world cup, or Euros next season there's no reason why Wout Weghorst won't want to play for Burnley if the club is relegated at the end of next season.

Connor Roberts was "upset" at Wout Weghorst scoring for Netherlands against Wales. I'd rather the club had let Connor Roberts go if there was any friction between the two players and Roberts wouldn't make things right with Wout Weghorst.

UTC
It's all old hat discussed at length before we'll see in time no doubt. if he does play for us again in the championship it will only be because we are his best offer & we can't get shut of him elsewhere.

JR1882
Been Liked: 171 times

Post by JR1882 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 6:43 pm

There may be a compromise to be had. Obviously he wanted to play in the World Cup so absolutely accept he wouldn’t want to be in the champ last season. However next tournament after the summer is WC 2026 by which time he will be 34 and most probably out of the reckoning.

jlup1980

Post by jlup1980 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:05 pm

Darthlaw wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 2:05 pm
Gotta say this is spin of Alastair Campbell levels.

His goals at Besiktas were reaching Brereton Diaz levels of simplicity in a poor league and it showed with Man U, inspired by two goals in ET at the World Cup (and not much else), he returned to the PL and again couldn't score in a brothel. I had the displeasure of attending a few games in corporate at Man U last season, for a previous employer, and from a high vantage point saw that Weghorst just wasnt making the runs to get into the position of scoring.

He might do something at Championship level but I don't think he's cut out for the PL.
I don't say anywhere that he's a top class Premier League striker so I'm not spinning anything. I personally believe, if his attitude was right (and this is the big question), he would have been a better option than Jay this season.

Some fans don't like him because he wouldn't drop to the Championship. That's all it is. He started well for us and was MoM against Man Utd at the Turf. Unfortunately Dyche saw him as a head on a stick (like he did with Crouch) and didn't play to his strengths. He has more to offer VK than he did SD in my opinion but I suspect VK was swayed a little by the fans booing him in pre-season and took the easy option. Whether that was the best decision is debatable.

Poor league or not, he did well enough at Besiktas to get called up for the World Cup (his main aim you would assume).
Your comment of "and not much else" is ridiculous. It's "what did the Romans ever do for us?" territory. He came off the bench in a WC QF, scored twice to take the game into extra time, and scored his penalty in the eventual shoot-out... yeah but what else did he do!? I dare say more than the rest of his team that day!
He won a trophy and played 31 times for United.

I don't want the guy back now. That ship has sailed. However, none of the above is spin, it's facts.

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 2002 times
Has Liked: 1148 times

Post by FCBurnley » Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:09 pm

Desperate times need desperate measures

Quicknick

Post by Quicknick » Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:10 pm

jlup1980 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:05 pm
I don't say anywhere that he's a top class Premier League striker so I'm not spinning anything. I personally believe, if his attitude was right (and this is the big question), he would have been a better option than Jay this season.

Some fans don't like him because he wouldn't drop to the Championship. That's all it is. He started well for us and was MoM against Man Utd at the Turf. Unfortunately Dyche saw him as a head on a stick (like he did with Crouch) and didn't play to his strengths. He has more to offer VK than he did SD in my opinion but I suspect VK was swayed a little by the fans booing him in pre-season and took the easy option. Whether that was the best decision is debatable.

Poor league or not, he did well enough at Besiktas to get called up for the World Cup (his main aim you would assume).
Your comment of "and not much else" is ridiculous. It's "what did the Romans ever do for us?" territory. He came off the bench in a WC QF, scored twice to take the game into extra time, and scored his penalty in the eventual shoot-out... yeah but what else did he do!? I dare say more than the rest of his team that day!
He won a trophy and played 31 times for United.

I don't want the guy back now. That ship has sailed. However, none of the above is spin, it's facts.
Agree with all that apart from the last paragraph. I'd have him if he's prepared to play in the Championship. He might be now.

Darthlaw
Has Liked: 418 times

Post by Darthlaw » Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:03 pm

jlup1980 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:05 pm

Fair enough, I read certain elements of your post suggesting Weghorst was anything other than garbage for Man U.

It's a fact he did score 9 for Besiktas even though a good chunk were harder to miss.

Its a fact he did 'make his mark' at the world cup - In the semi's, scoring his only to goals of the tournament. Prior to this he amassed 20 minutes in three games and didnt score.

It is also a fact he appeared 31 times for Man U (most often the only fit centre forward for the club) amassing 2 assists and scoring one each in the Europa league and league cup. He 'played his part' I suppose by being on the pitch and chipping in one of the 5 goals Man U scored in 2 legs against Forest along the way. He was also dropped towards the end of his time there as often Man U scored goals once he was off the pitch.

I have no axe to grind with Wout because I don't think he refused to play in the Championship or for us. Van Gaal told him he had to leave to play in the WC so he did and I can respect his decision, even if it did earn him a total of 50 minutes football for the Dutch.

Would I have him back in the championship? In a heartbeat but in the PL? Not a chance. Interestingly, for comparison, Zeki Amdouni has scored 4 goals / 4 assists in 27 PL games, to Wout's 2 goals / 1 assist in 37.
This user liked this post: jlup1980

jlup1980

Post by jlup1980 » Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:51 am

Quicknick wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 1:10 pm
Agree with all that apart from the last paragraph. I'd have him if he's prepared to play in the Championship. He might be now.
I don't imagine he'll drop down. He'll see himself as above that level and will want to pick up as many Netherlands caps as possible. Incredibly he's already amassed 30 caps. I'm not sure he would have got many in previous eras. He's not quite van Persie, Bergkamp, Kluivert or van Nistelrooy levels is he!!