The Burnley documentaries-who gets paid?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3875 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

The Burnley documentaries-who gets paid?

Post by Quickenthetempo » Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:21 pm

Just reading on Twitter about Wrexhams losses in their accounts. 6m for the season and over 8m owed to the owners.
In one of the replies they stated Ryan Reynolds company gets paid for the documentary, not Wrexham football club.

Has it been revealed who got paid for our documentary? I just presumed it was extra money for the club.

NewClaret
Been Liked: 3115 times
Has Liked: 3836 times

Re: The Burnley documentaries-who gets paid?

Post by NewClaret » Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:30 pm

No idea but can’t imagine it’s much either way.

ecc
Been Liked: 1442 times
Has Liked: 1289 times

Post by ecc » Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:42 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:21 pm
Just reading on Twitter about Wrexhams losses in their accounts. 6m for the season and over 8m owed to the owners.
In one of the replies they stated Ryan Reynolds company gets paid for the documentary, not Wrexham football club.

Has it been revealed who got paid for our documentary? I just presumed it was extra money for the club.
Hope it ends in tears at Wrexham.

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1772 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:50 pm

It depends on who paid for it I suppose

Fretters
Been Liked: 1051 times
Has Liked: 554 times

Post by Fretters » Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:55 pm

ecc wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:42 pm
Why? They're decent blokes who are fully immersing themselves in the club and community. Far better than lots of other owners. Good luck to them.
These 4 users liked this post: Burnley1989 bfcjg Juan Tanamera ArmchairDetective

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1820 times
Has Liked: 1800 times

Post by dougcollins » Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:42 pm

ecc wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:42 pm
That's the spirit.

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3165 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:00 pm

Fretters wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:55 pm
Why? They're decent blokes who are fully immersing themselves in the club and community. Far better than lots of other owners. Good luck to them.
Paid League 1 wages in the National League - causing severe financial repercussions for other clubs as a result
This user liked this post: mybloodisclaret

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2108 times
Has Liked: 337 times

Post by jrgbfc » Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:43 pm

I haven't got anything against the Wrexham owners, just a bit fed up with the media love in. The manager Parkinson has always come across as a bit of an unpleasant character as well.

mybloodisclaret
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 4036 times

Post by mybloodisclaret » Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:11 am

jrgbfc wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:43 pm
I haven't got anything against the Wrexham owners, just a bit fed up with the media love in. The manager Parkinson has always come across as a bit of an unpleasant character as well.
I agree with the media love in comment, odious and nauseous, they do it all the time. Normally Leeds though Luton this season seem to be their favourites (with many a good reason to be fair).
Always liked Parkinson in honesty, lower league winner in my view, perhaps like Jimmy Mullen was for us.

Hipper
Been Liked: 1179 times
Has Liked: 922 times

Post by Hipper » Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:44 am

Chester Perry wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:00 pm
Paid League 1 wages in the National League - causing severe financial repercussions for other clubs as a result
Only if they decide to do the same.
This user liked this post: Juan Tanamera

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:00 am

Hipper wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:44 am
Only if they decide to do the same.
It is never as simple as that - expectations of players and agents also change, then there is the competitive fairness i it all - of course the National League does not have any form of FFP, but the spending that has gone on there for at least a decade has had significant repercussions for League 2 in particular

Consider how the spending of clubs like Manchester City, Chelsea and PSG had repercussions across Europe, with the very significant numbers of clubs entering into financial difficulty. Even, consider how the spending of Leicester, QPR, Bournemouth, Middlesbrough and Derby affected the Championship or how Aston Villa single-handedly destroyed the Burnley acquisition model under Sean Dyche, with a vast elevation in prices and wages for star Championship players

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:16 am

I think Bradford City have lost out to the likes of Wrexham and Stockport throwing money around.

According to their owners statement, they thought they had a sustainable model with a top 7 budget in league 2.
They have been blown out the water on budgets.

Crazy that a club that can get over 20k on in the bottom tier and not compete.

Quickenthetempo

Post by Quickenthetempo » Fri Mar 29, 2024 8:47 am

Apparently Wrexham pay Ryan Reynolds company 8k a week in interest on the loans. Which will only get bigger.

Football is crazy these days.

It needs to stop owners plowing clubs with lots of debt in the way of loans.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32546 times
Has Liked: 5279 times

Post by ClaretTony » Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:16 am

In terms of throwing money around, I was at a meeting last summer when the former CEO of Salford, a Mr Gary Neville was speaking. We all know they've thrown money at it but he said for the 2023/24 season they would have the fifth biggest budget in League Two. They would be smaller than both Bradford City and Notts County and significantly smaller than both Stockport and Wrexham.

I know someone involved at Wrexham - he doesn't have anything good to say about these owners but doesn't commit any further information.

Cooclaret
Been Liked: 186 times
Has Liked: 393 times

Post by Cooclaret » Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:22 am

Fretters wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:55 pm
Fully agree,l with you, but you’ve forgotten to factor in the unconscious bias some of this board have to those from across the Atlantic.

aggi
Been Liked: 2123 times

Post by aggi » Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:40 am

I've been involved in TV residuals over the years and it's a real minefield. Payments generally come out of profits and a lot of effort is made to keep those paper profits low.

Wrexham probably receive some share (whether flat fee or percentage) as there is a fair bit of filming at the ground/with their employees (and more savvy, higher profile ones like Parkinson and Mullin may get a small share too) but I can't see it being a club changing amount. Wrexham do get the associated benefit of some very hefty sponsorship deals due to the increased profile though.

The majority of the money will be going to the multiple production companies involved (after any debt is cleared), partly Reynolds and McElhenney but various others too. They're taking the risk and carrying out the majority of the work.

I can't remember what the set up for the Burnley one was. I think Ad-Hoc films were the main production company. Burnley, Pace, etc won't have made huge amounts (unless Pace, etc got involved in the production or financing).

Chester Perry

Post by Chester Perry » Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:36 am

aggi wrote:
Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:40 am
I've been involved in TV residuals over the years and it's a real minefield. Payments generally come out of profits and a lot of effort is made to keep those paper profits low.

Wrexham probably receive some share (whether flat fee or percentage) as there is a fair bit of filming at the ground/with their employees (and more savvy, higher profile ones like Parkinson and Mullin may get a small share too) but I can't see it being a club changing amount. Wrexham do get the associated benefit of some very hefty sponsorship deals due to the increased profile though.

The majority of the money will be going to the multiple production companies involved (after any debt is cleared), partly Reynolds and McElhenney but various others too. They're taking the risk and carrying out the majority of the work.

I can't remember what the set up for the Burnley one was. I think Ad-Hoc films were the main production company. Burnley, Pace, etc won't have made huge amounts (unless Pace, etc got involved in the production or financing).
I am sure I saw that it was Pace and Co who were behind the the thing coming into being and if you read the admission statement for the Asset Match share auction one of the main thrusts of growth is to come from media content product - incidentally that sale has been extended a week without any announcement, presumably because of the Bank Holiday today though that initial closing date isn't the only thing about this auction that was done without checking the data - there are some quite serious issues in there.