Gordon Cowans

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11061 times
Has Liked: 5667 times

Gordon Cowans

Post by Vegas Claret » Sat Mar 30, 2024 4:31 am

Apologies if this has been posted (search didn't show anything). Sad news about Gordon

Posted by Collymore on twitter

"To say it's upsetting to find out Gordon Cowans, our "Sid" at Villa, is now in a nursing home as his dementia takes hold, is an understatement and I'm sure upsetting to everyone in the Villa family.

As a footballer, he was one of my true heroes, a majestic ball playing midfielder who was criminally underused for England but who drove us to become Champions of England and Europe. Quiet, no fuss, just oozing class and composure always.

As a coach at Villa, he was the only one on the coaching staff who didn't judge my mental health issues at a time when others, who should have known better, did. A quiet word here, a chat there, a "well done big man" when I was at my loneliest and weakest showed me the man he is.

I saw Sid a few weeks ago at Villa Park, and although it was obvious dementia was taking an ever increasing hold, he still chatted, still instinctively knew his role amongst supporters as an icon, signing autographs and having photos, a lesson to every pro footballer today. If he can, you can.

Sid, you're my hero, yesterday, today, tomorrow and for as long as I have breath in my body. You are the very best of the sport we love, the club you represented and still represent with so much grace, and the family and friends who will be by your side.

From me and mine, thank you for everything you gave a wide eyed 11 year old, thank you for the words as I lived a nightmare wrapped in a dream come true, and how you epitomise why Aston Villa Football Club is the special place that it is.

To Sid's family, sending you much love and wish you the greatest strength at this difficult time.

We're Aston Villa, a glorious name, a magnificent history and a bright future ahead. All made possible by men like Gordon Sidney Cowans.

"All of my heroes are Villans". Keep fighting, Sid.

#UTV 💜💙"

https://x.com/StanCollymore/status/1773 ... 07822?s=20
This user liked this post: elwaclaret

Quicknick
Been Liked: 1218 times
Has Liked: 7207 times

Re: Gordon Cowans

Post by Quicknick » Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:03 am

Rumours he is in a hospice are wrong according to this article.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/ ... t-28910371

beeholeclaret
Been Liked: 306 times
Has Liked: 449 times

Post by beeholeclaret » Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:03 am

Can’t argue with that from SC.

Sad to hear.

Selby Claret
Been Liked: 402 times
Has Liked: 81 times

Post by Selby Claret » Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:26 am

Quicknick wrote:
Sat Mar 30, 2024 6:03 am
Rumours he is in a hospice are wrong according to this article.

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/sport/ ... t-28910371
So he's in a care facility not a hospice - that's cleared that up then
Good luck to him whatever treatment he's receiving - hope it brings him some support and comfort

JimmyRobbo
Been Liked: 509 times
Has Liked: 886 times

Post by JimmyRobbo » Sat Mar 30, 2024 1:00 pm

Such awful news for anyone. A dreadful, destructive disease.

I've watched it destroy great people.