Stupid question time!

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Terrier
Been Liked: 234 times
Has Liked: 124 times

Stupid question time!

Post by Terrier » Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:48 am

Came home last night just in time to watch our game on Motd and the thoughts of an ex pro footballer on the penalty decision, now I was a bit tipsy but he explained why it was not a penalty.
My question is do any ex professional footballers sit on var because a common criticism thrown at refs is that they have never played the game to such high standards and speed and get a lot wrong.
Also I hope we appeal against this poor decision.

bumba
Been Liked: 691 times
Has Liked: 201 times

Re: Stupid question time!

Post by bumba » Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:52 am

None of them sit on VAR but I'm sure Howard Webb said they bring ex pros in during the week to discuss decisions with referees but that they'd not got many wrong, sounds like bull to me they get loads wrong.
It was never a penalty yesterday let alone a second yellow he couldn't wait to give the penalty and red but don't know why.
The premier league is so top club bias and corrupt now it's embarrassing, it's losing what made the premier league so watchable and that was how competitive it were, it'll soon fizzle out like Serie A did if they keep going in this direction.
This user liked this post: elwaclaret

Goliath
Been Liked: 238 times
Has Liked: 106 times

Post by Goliath » Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:53 am

They know its not a penalty but give it anyway. Its hard to argue against some form of corruption now VAR is involved.
This user liked this post: PaintYorkClaretnBlue

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 2005 times
Has Liked: 1151 times

Post by FCBurnley » Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:58 am

bumba wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:52 am
None of them sit on VAR but I'm sure Howard Webb said they bring ex pros in during the week to discuss decisions with referees but that they'd not got many wrong, sounds like bull to me they get loads wrong.
It was never a penalty yesterday let alone a second yellow he couldn't wait to give the penalty and red but don't know why.
The premier league is so top club bias and corrupt now it's embarrassing, it's losing what made the premier league so watchable and that was how competitive it were, it'll soon fizzle out like Serie A did if they keep going in this direction.
Money money money

Don’t forget how much betting takes place world wide on PL games One decision can win or lose millions and the big bookies ( Vegas ) will want to influence any result they can.

taio
Been Liked: 3249 times
Has Liked: 346 times

Post by taio » Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:04 pm

FCBurnley wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:58 am
Money money money

Don’t forget how much betting takes place world wide on PL games One decision can win or lose millions and the big bookies ( Vegas ) will want to influence any result they can.
How do you feel bookies may be influencing onfield decisions?

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5564 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:17 pm

FCBurnley wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:58 am
Money money money

Why would bookies want the most likely (and therefore most backed) outcome?
This user liked this post: Middle-agedClaret

taio

Post by taio » Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:36 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:17 pm
Why would bookies want the most likely (and therefore most backed) outcome?
You won't get a credible answer or an answer at all. Crazy insinuation that won't be explained or backed up.

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2476 times
Has Liked: 2014 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:39 pm

Terrier wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 11:48 am
It was two yellows. No appeal.
It was a terrible decision. Mudryks poor first touch made Assignon nearer the ball and in turning Mudryks went down.

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1774 times
Has Liked: 361 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:06 pm

Ex-pros being on VAR would be stupid idea. Any former pro who has had any links to the any of the club or playing for their rivals would just cause more problems.

VAR is supposed to assist officials in not making poor decisions, instead they're just backing their poor decisions up.

Instead of changing the decision because ‘Mudrik made a meal out of it’ they went with ‘I can sorta see why the ref gave it - protect him’

PGMOL are stripping the game down piece by piece and making it all about themselves. Fans don't want VAR, players don't want VAR - I hate the fact that referees don't justify decisions after the game but managers and players are asked to comment which sometimes ends in disaplinarry action.

It stinks, they are a corrupt organisation with no-one to answer to.

lovebeingaclaret
Been Liked: 120 times
Has Liked: 355 times

Post by lovebeingaclaret » Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:34 pm

Tricky Trevor wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:39 pm
It was a terrible decision. Mudryks poor first touch made Assignon nearer the ball and in turning Mudryks went down.
I think you will find that the second caution can be appealed as it led directly to the sending off and I would think that they would win the appeal.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5564 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:36 pm

claptrappers_union wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:06 pm
Ex-pros being on VAR would be stupid idea. Any former pro who has had any links to the any of the club or playing for their rivals would just cause more problems.

VAR is supposed to assist officials in not making poor decisions, instead they're just backing their poor decisions up.

Instead of changing the decision because ‘Mudrik made a meal out of it’ they went with ‘I can sorta see why the ref gave it - protect him’

PGMOL are stripping the game down piece by piece and making it all about themselves. Fans don't want VAR, players don't want VAR - I hate the fact that referees don't justify decisions after the game but managers and players are asked to comment which sometimes ends in disaplinarry action.

It stinks, they are a corrupt organisation with no-one to answer to.
The problems all boil down to the idiots making the decisions.

Some people are in favour of a DRS type challenge system. If that was the case then yesterday we would have challenged the decision but the VAR decision would have been the same.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3087 times
Has Liked: 5071 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:42 pm

Terrier wrote:
Came home last night just in time to watch our game on Motd and the thoughts of an ex pro footballer on the penalty decision, now I was a bit tipsy but he explained why it was not a penalty.
My question is do any ex professional footballers sit on var because a common criticism thrown at refs is that they have never played the game to such high standards and speed and get a lot wrong.
Me thinks referees want to get it wrong.
He clearly played it too heavy, onto the wrong side of Assignon, he had to cut across him to try and retrieve it, what's Assignon supposed to do, get out of his way. All he did was stay strong and shield the ball.
Even on Chelsea forum they said it was never a penalty or a red card, but Referees are just crap. No other explanation covers it, just clueless, OR corrupt.

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1774 times
Has Liked: 361 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:43 pm

It just needs scrapping. I can live with refs making crap decisions, but can't stand them being backed up after the fact.

I can't stand them finding any small reason to have goals being ruled out too.
This user liked this post: Dark Cloud

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1161 times
Has Liked: 182 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:59 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:42 pm
Me thinks referees want to get it wrong.
He clearly played it too heavy, onto the wrong side of Assignon, he had to cut across him to try and retrieve it, what's Assignon supposed to do, get out of his way. All he did was stay strong and shield the ball.
Even on Chelsea forum they said it was never a penalty or a red card, but Referees are just crap. No other explanation covers it, just clueless, OR corrupt.
Assignon was never anywhere near the ball nor did he make any attempt to do anything but cut across the player and raise his arm and hand in his face . True, if in midfield it would have probs just been a foul .
People spouting bs like “ Referees are crap “ really are the utterly clueless ones , you’d have been howling for a pen if it had been at their end . Ref’s are as good as they’ll ever be in all main euro leagues . I think there’s about a 12% human error possibility in any given game .

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5092 times
Has Liked: 6916 times

Post by bfcjg » Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:13 pm

Can you do a bet regarding how many penalties and sending offs are in a game ?

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 2018 times
Has Liked: 2914 times

Post by elwaclaret » Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:24 pm

AlargeClaret wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:59 pm
Assignon was never anywhere near the ball nor did he make any attempt to do anything but cut across the player and raise his arm and hand in his face . True, if in midfield it would have probs just been a foul .
People spouting bs like “ Referees are crap “ really are the utterly clueless ones , you’d have been howling for a pen if it had been at their end . Ref’s are as good as they’ll ever be in all main euro leagues . I think there’s about a 12% human error possibility in any given game .
You suggest Assignon should have just vanished when the attacker cut across his path; the only option given the momentum he was travelling at. For me the hand looping over his shoulder was the only questionable part of the whole thing… it is clear there was no pull by the movement of the players… of course it was a dive when he realised he had lost control of the ball, and should have been a booking for the attacker for simulation.
These 2 users liked this post: Wo Didi Wo Didi

AlargeClaret

Post by AlargeClaret » Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:37 pm

elwaclaret wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:24 pm
You suggest Assignon should have just vanished when the attacker cut across his path; the only option given the momentum he was travelling at. For me the hand looping over his shoulder was the only questionable part of the whole thing… it is clear there was no pull by the movement of the players… of course it was a dive when he realised he had lost control of the ball, and should have been a booking for the attacker for simulation.
Of course the player dived , they’re ( mainly ) cheats by default . It’s not about what Assignon “ should have done “ it’s what he did do , which, at pace looked to cut across, impede and foul Mudryk in the penalty area . It was a fairly soft pen but I’ve seen far worse given and can understand why both ref and VAR gave it . However I think the red was harsh as there was nothing malicious at all and even Mudryk was a little sheepish .

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 2018 times
Has Liked: 2914 times

Post by elwaclaret » Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:55 pm

AlargeClaret wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:37 pm
Of course the player dived , they’re ( mainly ) cheats by default . It’s not about what Assignon “ should have done “ it’s what he did do , which, at pace looked to cut across, impede and foul Mudryk in the penalty area . It was a fairly soft pen but I’ve seen far worse given and can understand why both ref and VAR gave it . However I think the red was harsh as there was nothing malicious at all and even Mudryk was a little sheepish .
I only reached town team level as a player, but I was a defender predominantly… cutting out the attackers space and shielding the ball once it is no longer under the attackers close control is one of the oldest arts of defending and is taught from a very early age. It was good defending. I can also understand the officials giving it… they have theoretical but not the practical experience of playing the game.

Much has been made of simulation over recent years… that for me was a classic example of where punishing the attacker would send out a message to stop cheating. Sadly in the Premier league such initiatives are implemented with tongues firmly in cheeks.

THEWELLERNUT70
Been Liked: 1040 times
Has Liked: 2041 times

Post by THEWELLERNUT70 » Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:01 pm

AlargeClaret wrote:
And here's the only person on god's green earth that I've seen or heard that has offered an opinion on the incident that thinks it was a penalty. A classic response for this board and should be noted moving forward 😉🤣
This user liked this post: Juan Tanamera

Tricky Trevor

Post by Tricky Trevor » Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:16 pm

AlargeClaret wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 2:37 pm
Absolute b0ll0x. The first touch from Mudryks knee goes to Assignons’ right. Mudryks is to his left and legally Assignon holds his ground. Players do that all the time with impunity.

Colburn_Claret

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:02 pm

AlargeClaret wrote:
If it's bullshit, why do 90% of Chelsea fans think it was a wrong call.
I try not to get embroiled in differing opinions on here, but you have to be on a wind up if you think that was a foul.

Hipper
Been Liked: 1179 times
Has Liked: 922 times

Post by Hipper » Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:40 pm

I only saw it on MotD but thought it was a pen. Assignon put his hand on Mudryk's shoulder then gave him a nudge. Sure Mudryk made a meal of it - what player wouldn't these days - but Assignon messed up. If he doesn't want to risk giving away a penalty (and a second yellow) don't put your hand on his shoulder and certainly do not push him.

We were also lucky not to concede a penalty as Amdouni held Disaly for their disallowed goal.

I also thought the early Gordon penalty in the Newcastle - West Ham game was wrong. If anything it was a foul by Gordon.

And to answer the OP, ex professional footballers are the ones that perpetrate all these scams we see. Do you expect them to stop current pros doing the same?

Poulton-le-Claret
Been Liked: 98 times
Has Liked: 203 times

Post by Poulton-le-Claret » Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:03 pm

THEWELLERNUT70 wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:01 pm
And here's the only person on god's green earth that I've seen or heard that has offered an opinion on the incident that thinks it was a penalty. A classic response for this board and should be noted moving forward 😉🤣
It's honestly up there with the most absymal opinions I've heard in a while on here and that's saying something :lol:

Colburn_Claret

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:07 pm

Son has just shown me a clip posted on FB of Agbonlahor having a right melt down at that decision on TalkSport.
Good on him.

karatekid
Been Liked: 1113 times
Has Liked: 318 times

Post by karatekid » Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:17 pm

This user liked this post: Colburn_Claret

Carlos the Great
Been Liked: 150 times
Has Liked: 377 times

Post by Carlos the Great » Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:27 pm

Thought this thread might be about 1% on Saturday night ,,,
This user liked this post: Bosscat

Tricky Trevor

Post by Tricky Trevor » Sun Mar 31, 2024 5:38 pm

I like to break all decisions down to the fundamentals.
A) the ball coming off Mudryks’ knee and him losing control.
IMG_4016.jpeg
IMG_4016.jpeg (825.11 KiB) Viewed 1949 times
B) the ball going behind Assignon.
IMG_4017.jpeg
IMG_4017.jpeg (867.53 KiB) Viewed 1949 times
C) Assignon turning to get to the ball with Mudryks the wrong side of him.
IMG_4018.jpeg
IMG_4018.jpeg (812.19 KiB) Viewed 1949 times
It is Mudryks lack of control that caused the whole situation. He slipped in turning because of his pace, not because of anything Assignon has done.
These 3 users liked this post: Bosscat Carlos the Great THEWELLERNUT70

AlargeClaret

Post by AlargeClaret » Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:06 pm

Tricky Trevor wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 3:16 pm
Absolute b0ll0x. The first touch from Mudryks knee goes to Assignons’ right. Mudryks is to his left and legally Assignon holds his ground. Players do that all the time with impunity.
If you really can’t see why , both in real time and VAR why it was given by the ref and VAR , it’s more about claret tinted denial than real time decision making . If you seriously think Assignon didn’t commit a foul , albeit a relatively soft tuone , there’s no point whatsoever in even trying to reason .
Better to just say all refs are corrupt /crap / hate us/ conspiracy/we’re so unlucky etc etc ad infinitum.

AlargeClaret

Post by AlargeClaret » Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:16 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 4:02 pm
If it's bullshit, why do 90% of Chelsea fans think it was a wrong call.
I try not to get embroiled in differing opinions on here, but you have to be on a wind up if you think that was a foul.
I didn’t realise you had access to “ 90% of Chelsea fans “ ? Though I stand corrected.
It was a fairly soft pen and the red very harsh indeed , however to make out that Assignon was totally innocent in the incident is bizarre. You cut across a player at speed in the box ,raise an arm across his body and then a hand in the players face, you’re almost immediately in a “ 50/50” pen shout , add in Mudryks dramatic collapse and you have the pen . Naivety on Assig side ? Possibly , but my point is WHY it was given by both parties rather than the basic foul it was.

taio

Post by taio » Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:19 pm

AlargeClaret wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:16 pm
I didn’t realise you had access to “ 90% of Chelsea fans “ ? Though I stand corrected.
It was a fairly soft pen and the red very harsh indeed , however to make out that Assignon was totally innocent in the incident is bizarre. You cut across a player at speed in the box ,raise an arm across his body and then a hand in the players face, you’re almost immediately in a “ 50/50” pen shout , add in Mudryks dramatic collapse and you have the pen . Naivety on Assig side ? Possibly , but my point is WHY it was given by both parties rather than the basic foul it was.
All the neutrals and former professional footballers I've seen giving an.opion have criticised the referee

criminalclaret
Been Liked: 180 times
Has Liked: 72 times

Post by criminalclaret » Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:53 pm

AlargeClaret wrote:
I'll agree totally with all of that and said the same in real time.

No hand on shoulder gives Murdryk no reason to go down. He'd done it previously, ref was aware and so was every Chelsea player. Soft as ever, but he didn't have to grab after commiting exact same foul previously.

Boy who cries wolf comes to mind.

Colburn_Claret

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:58 pm

AlargeClaret wrote:
Check the Shed End

Check MOTD

Check Agbonlahor

Check the pundits.

Apart from those 10% of Chelsea fans, the only person who thinks it is a penalty, is you.........

criminalclaret

Post by criminalclaret » Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:00 pm

Or....hear me out here.....

Don't put your hand on the shoulder of an attacker in the penalty box when you've just been booked for it 20 mins previously.

Assignon had no need to add a smoking gun when there wasn't a bullet being fired. His cards were marked though from no adapting his defending after being booked for it

Colburn_Claret

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:02 pm

criminalclaret wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:00 pm
Or....hear me out here.....

Don't put your hand on the shoulder of an attacker in the penalty box when you've just been booked for it 20 mins previously.

Assignon had no need to add a smoking gun when there wasn't a bullet being fired. His cards were marked though from no adapting his defending after being booked for it
I came, I heard, I laughed 😅

criminalclaret

Post by criminalclaret » Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:08 pm

So Assignon had every right to do that in penalty areas and could expect no repercussions?

In a game where you can concede a pen from being booted by a ball 30 odd yards out unable to move your arms out of the way, are you actually surprised that putting your arms on an attacking player and bringing them down wouldn't result in a pen?

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6395 times
Has Liked: 8754 times

Post by IanMcL » Sun Mar 31, 2024 8:15 pm

Tricky Trevor wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 12:39 pm
It was more a case of Mudryk being so far from the ball that "He felt the arm and had a right to go down, so the ref has to make a decision".

All b ollocks as we know, however, some inane pundits say that. This ref appeared to be on a mission.

THEWELLERNUT70

Post by THEWELLERNUT70 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 9:27 am

AlargeClaret wrote:
Fair play for defending your opinion, it's wrong, but fair play 🤣

THEWELLERNUT70

Post by THEWELLERNUT70 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:29 am

THEWELLERNUT70

Post by THEWELLERNUT70 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:32 am

dsr
Been Liked: 4579 times
Has Liked: 2271 times

Post by dsr » Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:49 am

AlargeClaret wrote:
Sun Mar 31, 2024 7:06 pm
If you really can’t see why , both in real time and VAR why it was given by the ref and VAR , it’s more about claret tinted denial than real time decision making . If you seriously think Assignon didn’t commit a foul , albeit a relatively soft tuone , there’s no point whatsoever in even trying to reason .
Better to just say all refs are corrupt /crap / hate us/ conspiracy/we’re so unlucky etc etc ad infinitum.
Obviously the defender made contact with the forward, and by defiition all contact can be defined as a push, so it's fair enough to say it should be a foul. But in that case what about all the other fouls? The ref must have missed at least 20 other equivalent fouls in the box, by players from both sides - why didn't we have 20 more penalties and 20 more yellow cards?

The problem is that refs are quite happy to say that the teeniest tiniest contact is a foul, but IF AND ONLY IF the forward dives. This is one of the other big problems in refereeing, as well as VAR. The referees, by their interpretation of the rules, are actively encouraging diving. If that was a folu, the Odobert should certainly have had a penalty early on - but he didn't fall over, which (in referees' minds) means that it can't have been a foul. For Newcastle, Gordon clearly fouled a defender in the box, but because he fell over in a spectacular manner, the ref (after video review) gave him the penalty. Fouls nowadays are little to do with the defender committing the foul and more to do with the acting skills of the forward.
This user liked this post: THEWELLERNUT70

dsr

Post by dsr » Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:53 am

Terrier wrote:
I wouldn't bother with the ex=pros. Many of them have far less understanding of the game than the refs. There was a live game a week or two back when the forward hit the ball over the crossbar, and the referee and linesman signalled goal kick. The commentator and his oppo couldn't understand what had been given - they thought at first he had given offside, before realising that he was on by about 10 yards, and then thought it must have been handball or a foul, not knowing that the foul signal by a linesman is totally different from the goal kick signal.

TopCat
Been Liked: 172 times
Has Liked: 46 times

Post by TopCat » Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:53 am

Don't agree it was a penalty, but worse still a yellow card.
If that was a booking then there should have been at least another dozen.
Pathetic.

dsr

Post by dsr » Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:01 am

TopCat wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 10:53 am
Don't agree it was a penalty, but worse still a yellow card.
If that was a booking then there should have been at least another dozen.
Pathetic.
We would have only had 3 more. 7 fouls by Burnley, 4 yellow cards.

Chelsea, on the other hand, would have had another 9 or so. They would have been getting men sent off all round.

sjb
Been Liked: 263 times
Has Liked: 395 times

Post by sjb » Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:24 am

AlargeClaret wrote:
Let it go Darren.

THEWELLERNUT70

Post by THEWELLERNUT70 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:30 am

Ref watch up next..........

THEWELLERNUT70

Post by THEWELLERNUT70 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:45 am

Dermot Gallagher " I'm sorry but it's 100% not a penalty"

No appeal for the second Assignon yellow card either

THEWELLERNUT70

Post by THEWELLERNUT70 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:48 am

"England gives the penalty, which is wrong and then gives a yellow card which is also wrong"

As I called it exactly at halftime on the match thread, and to think some people contort to try to see things differently
This user liked this post: Colburn_Claret

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3168 times
Has Liked: 6770 times

Post by boatshed bill » Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:05 pm

If you don't want to give away a penalty don't raise your arm.
Soft pen, but no surprise in today's football.

Colburn_Claret

Post by Colburn_Claret » Mon Apr 01, 2024 12:28 pm

THEWELLERNUT70 wrote:
Mon Apr 01, 2024 11:48 am
"England gives the penalty, which is wrong and then gives a yellow card which is also wrong"

As I called it exactly at halftime on the match thread, and to think some people contort to try to see things differently
ALC has to be fishing

THEWELLERNUT70

Post by THEWELLERNUT70 » Mon Apr 01, 2024 1:11 pm

It just makes it easier to sift through and not bother reading certain posts imo 😉