Frustrating...

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2264 times
Has Liked: 2175 times

Frustrating...

Post by CoolClaret » Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:41 pm

It was a good performance by the lads - no doubt and I believe we deserved more from the game.

The team is back and they're playing how we know that they can play and no doubt could've performed all season.

Just two points for me tonight.

Firstly - Kompany's in game decision making and tweaks left a lot to be desired once again; we had acres of space to attack down the left with the centre of the park being really congested, especially late on in the game - and they managed to counter by picking the ball up where a single pivot/defensive midfielder would normally be positioned quite nicely.

Surely the change was to go to a proper 4-3-3 later on, with Odobert out on the left, Benson / another on the right?
When Benson finally gets on in the 86th minute he nearly wins it for us!!!

Secondly and it's something that I've gone on about before but it still frustrates the life out of me- just where could we have been this season if we didn't start dreaming about potential £££££/$$$$$ returns and just bloody went and signed Tella and played Muric!

The fact that our four premium signings aren't playing and we look better than we have done all year is a ginormous indictment for me. Of course, there's room for some to grow and improve but we literally have north of 65 million not getting on the pitch now and when they did earlier in the year we looked significantly worse as a result of it.

It's a slim chance now but stranger things have happened in football, beat Everton and I'll still believe.

UTC.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11061 times
Has Liked: 5667 times

Re: Frustrating...

Post by Vegas Claret » Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:43 pm

it was a decent performance against a team with quite a few of their better players missing. We should have won but ultimately we didn't, good but not quite good enough.

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3342 times
Has Liked: 1964 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:46 pm

Taylor is fine defensively but we again saw why he wasn’t deemed good enough to play left back in this set up last season.
Slow and ponderous in possession and his crossing more often than not is awful.

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2476 times
Has Liked: 2014 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:47 pm

They had better footballers all over the field but as a Burnley fan you get used to that.
We put in another good team performance but just don’t score enough to win games.
Yet again points dropped to a dreadful referee decision. They should be ashamed of how often they have robbed us this season but they’ll just go home and wait for the cheque to arrive. The worst referees in the 5 major European leagues.
This user liked this post: MT03ALG

Boss Hogg
Been Liked: 863 times
Has Liked: 1097 times

Post by Boss Hogg » Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:49 pm

Bordeauxclaret wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:46 pm
Taylor is fine defensively but we again saw why he wasn’t deemed good enough to play left back in this set up last season.
Slow and ponderous in possession and his crossing more often than not is awful.
Agree with this. It has been noticeable in a few games and often results in good moves breaking down or slowing down.

NL Claret
Been Liked: 524 times
Has Liked: 213 times

Post by NL Claret » Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:52 pm

Watched on TV, there were some signs of improvement but overall a disappointing performance.

Vitinho gets into good positions but no end product. Taylor was/is awful. What is Berge’s best starting position?

Fofana could have been hooked at HT

alboclaret
Been Liked: 143 times
Has Liked: 103 times

Post by alboclaret » Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:54 pm

Good performance in most departments without much quality.
I really felt the "team" was back on Saturday and again tonight. Happy about that.
We needed to win tonight. The lads new that at the end. Dissapointed but there is a fight in them now.

criminalclaret
Been Liked: 180 times
Has Liked: 72 times

Post by criminalclaret » Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:29 pm

It was a really decent battling game with a great atmosphere, I'm disappointed we didn't get the win but it's another improved performance.

Berge was outstanding but playing very deep, put it some defensive shift yet again even though it's a waste of his true potentia. Vitty absolute warrior but as said, final touch let's him down. He knows he has his limits and I think he plays to his best every game.

Final third we just try and to walk it into the net and always run into traffic, and we lack that cutting edge decision making as we hold the ball so much it just allows opposition to get numbers back. Throw in's have been bizzare all season, basically playing statues.

Biggest thing for me corner set piece defending / attacking is pretty atrocious and has cost us far more points dropped this season that dodgy ref and VAR decisions. One thing we can't blame the officiating for

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5564 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:34 pm

Agree with the comments about Taylor. Really frustrating not to have a proper winger having all that ball out there.

Foster was wasted on the wing too, especially with Fofana having a mare.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3877 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:16 am

When teams sit back it just shows our lack of quality unfortunately.

Taylor passes inside to Berge who takes a touch and gives it him back, who in turn doesn't want to cross, so gives it him back.
Rinse and repeat.

criminalclaret
Been Liked: 180 times
Has Liked: 72 times

Post by criminalclaret » Wed Apr 03, 2024 12:27 am

Yeah the amount of sideways passing we do on the edge of the final 3rd after a counter is baffling.

We go from a 3-3 counter with momentum and then just stop, go sideways allowing them to get 6 or 7 back

We had the FK in first half edge of their box and took it all back to Muric and we ended up playing out from the back and nearly losing it. Wolves couldn't believe their luck how an attacking set piece was back at our goalkeeper from no effort on their part