Not Flagging Offsides

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1774 times
Has Liked: 361 times

Not Flagging Offsides

Post by claptrappers_union » Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:48 pm

These stupid rules need scrapping.

I'm tired of watching players knowing it's blatantly offside but still having to play to the whistle and risking injury. And when your chasing the game and you win the ball back from the attacker only for the flag to then go up… it's killing the momentum of the game.
This user liked this post: sjb

THEWELLERNUT70
Been Liked: 1040 times
Has Liked: 2041 times

Re: Not Flagging Offsides

Post by THEWELLERNUT70 » Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:49 pm

It very nearly led to Vitinho getting injured second half
These 4 users liked this post: JohnDearyMe gawthorpe_view Dark Cloud Juan Tanamera

Stayingup
Been Liked: 924 times
Has Liked: 2757 times

Post by Stayingup » Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:52 pm

It's like many things. STUPID.

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1820 times
Has Liked: 1802 times

Post by dougcollins » Tue Apr 02, 2024 11:08 pm

They got a corner because of a blatant offside that inept lino didn't flag for at all, never mind late.
These 4 users liked this post: Juan Tanamera spt_claret THEWELLERNUT70 Bosscat

quoonbeatz
Been Liked: 2603 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by quoonbeatz » Wed Apr 03, 2024 8:42 am

Daft as it is, this is one of the very very few things they've got right with var because evening it looks obvious, what if the liner gets it wrong? There's loads of examples of players being onside but given off - the Liverpool goal at spurs is the prime example.

Liners are redundant now in the PL, there is no need for them whatsoever. They don't give fouls, they aren't required for offsides and they never give ins and outs without checking with the ref first. Wastemen.

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3168 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:14 am

What no one talks about is the time lost by the delay - we are told that the game is hot on the issue of time wasting but this can contribute as much time wasted as keepers splatting themselves on the ground with no one near them

the issue of injuries arising is probably a more serious one
This user liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46

dsr
Been Liked: 4579 times
Has Liked: 2271 times

Post by dsr » Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:48 am

It's a necessary addition to the change in the offside law for VAR matches. (Or, for the pernickety, the change in the application of the law.)

When you could be in front, behind, or level, the linesman had a decent chance of being right, so let him make the decision. Now that you can only be in front or behind, to the extent that a man with a computer and still photos and lines drawn across the screen can take more than 5 minutes to work it out, the linesman obviously can only guess - so they have to let play go on and then see if he has guessed right.

(Some of them are more reluctant than others to stop play, even for offsides that they should be able to judge.)

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6970 times
Has Liked: 1484 times

Post by Rileybobs » Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:28 pm

It goes hand in hand with VAR. How can we have VAR if assistant referees flag for offside and play is brought to a stop?

claptrappers_union

Post by claptrappers_union » Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:46 pm

My issue is that when we win the ball back from an attack, the linesman waves the delayed flag, and then the referee stops play, which kills the advantage after we win back possession. It kills the momentum, the opposition has regrouped, and I'm not sure if the time is added on for the free kick to be taken.

I hate it.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6970 times
Has Liked: 1484 times

Post by Rileybobs » Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:56 pm

claptrappers_union wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 1:46 pm
My issue is that when we win the ball back from an attack, the linesman waves the delayed flag, and then the referee stops play, which kills the advantage after we win back possession. It kills the momentum, the opposition has regrouped, and I'm not sure if the time is added on for the free kick to be taken.

I hate it.
It's just another example of compromising on the quality and enjoyment of the match in order to accommodate VAR. Basically we should scrap VAR, and most people know that, but unfortunately it isn't happening.
This user liked this post: dsr

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8539 times
Has Liked: 18288 times

Post by Bosscat » Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:22 pm

THEWELLERNUT70 wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2024 10:49 pm
It very nearly led to Vitinho getting injured second half
Have said it all along this will result in injury to someone ...

Its fair enough if its a tight call ... but at least 3 times yesterday it was obvious the player was off side, yet the numpty Lino kept his flag down, and only raised it after the ball went out of play. One of these was our lad flattened into the video board ...
This user liked this post: Juan Tanamera

Goody1975
Been Liked: 996 times
Has Liked: 265 times

Post by Goody1975 » Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:35 pm

Chester Perry wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:14 am
What no one talks about is the time lost by the delay - we are told that the game is hot on the issue of time wasting but this can contribute as much time wasted as keepers splatting themselves on the ground with no one near them

the issue of injuries arising is probably a more serious one
No, what has been seen (as usual) is a fanfare about something, that is dulled down or abandoned as soon as it is implemented.

In this instance it's adding on time lost, remember after the World Cup how we regularly saw additional time of 10+ minutes? That was in the Championship without VAR!!!

They got bored with that and binned it, the only real time they add on now is for stoppages due to VAR, other than that we are back to the usual three and four minutes, that can be the case when both sides have changed half their team.

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 2007 times
Has Liked: 3354 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:50 pm

It was utterly ridiculous last night and tbf I don't think I blame the liner because he's only following orders from above. As mentioned there was one occasion when play was allowed to go on when the guy had clearly been caught offside and Vitihno ended up prostrate on the touchline after challenging him, only for the flag to then go up. This surely can't be right!! Also, Wolves played a ball over and their striker was clearly and obviously offside, but Esteve knew he was there and couldn't take any chances and cleared the ball for a corner. In those circumstances the flag doesn't go up and we have to defend a corner which seems wrong to me. I do agree with the general principle of "not interfering with play", but in both those scenarios the offside player definitely IS interfering with play. It needs sorting out.

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1259 times
Has Liked: 1368 times

Post by Elizabeth » Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:43 pm

Dark Cloud wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 2:50 pm
It was utterly ridiculous last night and tbf I don't think I blame the liner because he's only following orders from above. As mentioned there was one occasion when play was allowed to go on when the guy had clearly been caught offside and Vitihno ended up prostrate on the touchline after challenging him, only for the flag to then go up. This surely can't be right!! Also, Wolves played a ball over and their striker was clearly and obviously offside, but Esteve knew he was there and couldn't take any chances and cleared the ball for a corner. In those circumstances the flag doesn't go up and we have to defend a corner which seems wrong to me. I do agree with the general principle of "not interfering with play", but in both those scenarios the offside player definitely IS interfering with play. It needs sorting out.
This is another by product of VAR and causing a lot of unrest. Should we go back to the liner flagging straight away for offside and if a goal scoring opportunity is denied and the linesman is wrong we just shrug it off.
For me there is too much pressure being put on the liner and they are not consistent in their decisions of when to raise the flag.
Basically they are fearful of putting the flag up straight away and being proven wrong.

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3195 times
Has Liked: 1875 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:46 pm

I can agree with the decision not to flag when it’s close and unsure, but when it’s blatantly obvious and they let play continue is where the issues are.

Dark Cloud

Post by Dark Cloud » Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:52 pm

Elizabeth wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:43 pm
This is another by product of VAR and causing a lot of unrest. Should we go back to the liner flagging straight away for offside and if a goal scoring opportunity is denied and the linesman is wrong we just shrug it off.
For me there is too much pressure being put on the liner and they are not consistent in their decisions of when to raise the flag.
Basically they are fearful of putting the flag up straight away and being proven wrong.
This is true, Elizabeth and is definitely the heart of the problem and I kind of get the thinking behind it tbf and it's good intentions. Let a goal be scored and let VAR chalk it off rather a liner prevent it being scored with a hasty and erroneous flag. BUT, surely when a ball is played over towards a pretty clearly offside player and a Burnley player intercepts it and it goes for a corner, so no immediate goal is scored, the flag should go up and the offside be given because the defender only conceded the corner because he was conscious of the offside player. That's the sort of situation where it's being used wrongly imo (plus the example where Vitihno ended up in the advertising boards when it was absolutely obvious no goal was being scored).

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1259 times
Has Liked: 1368 times

Post by Elizabeth » Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:28 pm

Dark Cloud wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:52 pm
This is true, Elizabeth and is definitely the heart of the problem and I kind of get the thinking behind it tbf and it's good intentions. Let a goal be scored and let VAR chalk it off rather a liner prevent it being scored with a hasty and erroneous flag. BUT, surely when a ball is played over towards a pretty clearly offside player and a Burnley player intercepts it and it goes for a corner, so no immediate goal is scored, the flag should go up and the offside be given because the defender only conceded the corner because he was conscious of the offside player. That's the sort of situation where it's being used wrongly imo (plus the example where Vitihno ended up in the advertising boards when it was absolutely obvious no goal was being scored).
The principle of VAR received so much support from fans who thought it was going to make the game truer but it's achieved the total opposite when put into practice.
Its implementation has been nothing short of a failure

claptrappers_union

Post by claptrappers_union » Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:49 pm

There was a game, I think, last season or so, when a defender scored in their own goal. He intercepted a pass to a player in an offside position, but the ball went past this keeper instead. The goal was given from memory, but the argument was that he wouldn't have attempted to control the ball if the player wasn't in that position.

I can't remember all the details. I might've even been at a Burnley game when we got relegated?

Dark Cloud

Post by Dark Cloud » Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:18 pm

Elizabeth wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 6:28 pm
The principle of VAR received so much support from fans who thought it was going to make the game truer but it's achieved the total opposite when put into practice.
Its implementation has been nothing short of a failure
Exactly. I'm fairly certain there's not a genuine football fan (as in paying at the turnstiles) anywhere in the country of any team, that actually rates it. Every single fan I ever speak to despises it. In theory it looked like the answer to refereeing blunders and mistakes. It's been anything but. It's awful.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5564 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Wed Apr 03, 2024 9:57 pm

Dark Cloud wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2024 7:18 pm
Exactly. I'm fairly certain there's not a genuine football fan (as in paying at the turnstiles) anywhere in the country of any team, that actually rates it. Every single fan I ever speak to despises it. In theory it looked like the answer to refereeing blunders and mistakes. It's been anything but. It's awful.
There's definitely a place for VAR because nobody wants to see games decided by shite decisions. The problem with VAR in its current state is that games are being decided by even shiter decisions.
This user liked this post: Dark Cloud

Goliath
Been Liked: 238 times
Has Liked: 106 times

Post by Goliath » Wed Apr 03, 2024 10:02 pm

The injury thing is sort of nonsense really. Of course there's a slightly bigger chance of injury, but they are playing 90 minutes of football of which there is similar risk. I'm not sure it's a valid complaint really.
It offers the chance of an advantage being given and means its less likely for a goal to be wrongly chalked off for offside.

It's frustrating to watch but I think the argument for it just about stacks up more than the argument against it