REPORT: Home draw takes unbeaten run to four

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32572 times
Has Liked: 5285 times

REPORT: Home draw takes unbeaten run to four

Post by ClaretTony » Thu Apr 04, 2024 11:52 am

These 4 users liked this post: longsidepies gawthorpe_view KateR elwaclaret

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8539 times
Has Liked: 18289 times

Re: REPORT: Home draw takes unbeaten run to four

Post by Bosscat » Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:26 pm

We were chatting about points lost from winning positions on the drive home... we thought about 14 (ish) but 22 is staggering :o

Nonayforever
Been Liked: 702 times
Has Liked: 174 times

Post by Nonayforever » Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:53 pm

Good report.
I couldn't understand the different formation when we have perfectly good players to fullfil all the roles , however we played well and won a point so VK can possibly say it was justified.

Wokingclaret
Been Liked: 298 times
Has Liked: 781 times

Post by Wokingclaret » Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:31 pm

"If anyone was excited at the prospect of Fofana partnering Lyle Foster up front they were in for a big disappointment with Foster, bizarrely, employed on the right flank."

This was me....disappointed

Goliath
Been Liked: 238 times
Has Liked: 106 times

Post by Goliath » Thu Apr 04, 2024 1:56 pm

Nonayforever wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 12:53 pm
Good report.
I couldn't understand the different formation when we have perfectly good players to fullfil all the roles , however we played well and won a point so VK can possibly say it was justified.
It was clearly designed to exploit the shape of the opposition.
It worked quite well at times but we lacked the individual quality to really take advantage.
This user liked this post: Stayingup

beddie
Been Liked: 1408 times
Has Liked: 524 times

Post by beddie » Thu Apr 04, 2024 3:32 pm

I thought both Fofana and Foster looked a mile off it. Why VK didn’t bring Jay on much earlier taking Fofana off is another mystery.
This user liked this post: k90bfc

Cirrus_Minor
Been Liked: 1165 times
Has Liked: 1303 times

Post by Cirrus_Minor » Thu Apr 04, 2024 5:34 pm

Good report. I was another one confused by how Fofana and Foster were played. I think they were too as well as Odebert who I'm sure would have been happier on the wing instead of Foster. Also right about the awful defending from the free kick that should not have been.

alboclaret
Been Liked: 143 times
Has Liked: 103 times

Post by alboclaret » Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:10 pm

4 is a run. Just about a run but the way we have been shaping ist a good run.

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1658 times
Has Liked: 404 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Thu Apr 04, 2024 7:17 pm

Foster beat more men with “take ons” than all our team put together.

I too thought he was a bit off it, but he did do some things well,

claretspice
Been Liked: 2833 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:26 pm

Whilst I understand the view that the formation looked a bit over thought, I thought it actually worked pretty well. We scored a goal that was straight off the training ground and was exactly what we were trying to achieve - we overloaded down the right with Vitinho, Foster and Odobert, plus Fofana drawing defenders that way, and opened up the acres of space at the backpost that Brunn Larsen was in. The basic principle of matching them up all over the park also meant we dominated possession to an impressive extent and did not struggle defensively as we did the last time we played a team using that 3-4-2-1 set up (Luton). We were able to dominate the centre of the pitch and use the space down the sides of their back 3.

Overall I thought it was a very good display and arguably as good a home performance as we've produced all season - which was some feat coming on the back of an hour plus with 10 men at Chelsea.

Goliath

Post by Goliath » Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:34 pm

claretspice wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:26 pm
Whilst I understand the view that the formation looked a bit over thought, I thought it actually worked pretty well. We scored a goal that was straight off the training ground and was exactly what we were trying to achieve - we overloaded down the right with Vitinho, Foster and Odobert, plus Fofana drawing defenders that way, and opened up the acres of space at the backpost that Brunn Larsen was in. The basic principle of matching them up all over the park also meant we dominated possession to an impressive extent and did not struggle defensively as we did the last time we played a team using that 3-4-2-1 set up (Luton). We were able to dominate the centre of the pitch and use the space down the sides of their back 3.

Overall I thought it was a very good display and arguably as good a home performance as we've produced all season - which was some feat coming on the back of an hour plus with 10 men at Chelsea.
The stat I saw had us with 51 percent possession. It surprised me to be honest thought we'd had more than that. But also I think most prem teams absolutely slice us apart on the break after watching us play like that. Wolves got to grips with it by the end and the strikers were just knocking the ball off and running whilst our centre backs came flying in..it was really on the edge by the end defensively.i thought we became a bit of a mess structurally.
Ten more minutes and we lose that game.

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:45 am

Goliath wrote:
Thu Apr 04, 2024 8:34 pm

The stat I saw had us with 51 percent possession. It surprised me to be honest thought we'd had more than that. But also I think most prem teams absolutely slice us apart on the break after watching us play like that. Wolves got to grips with it by the end and the strikers were just knocking the ball off and running whilst our centre backs came flying in..it was really on the edge by the end defensively.i thought we became a bit of a mess structurally.
Ten more minutes and we lose that game.
Each to their own but I don't think that analysis is correct really and it doesn't align with the independent match reports I've read. As the second half wore on I think generally, we were the team in the ascendancy and I can only recall the one chance for Wolves (Lemina's header) after the 55th minute or thereabouts. To thr extent we didn't really push on in the final 10-15 minutes ourselves I think that is squarely due to the lack of recovery time from the Chelsea game, which is easy to underestimate from the sidelines - and if we looked a mess it was because in spite of that problem we rightly made changes (not necessarily the ones id have made) to try and win the game. That defensive system will look a but Harum scarum at times and certainly OShea and Esteve over committed at times but on balance it worked - whatever the possession stats the game was overwhelmingly played in Wolves' half because we squeezed the game so effectively.

Goliath

Post by Goliath » Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:01 am

claretspice wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 8:45 am
Each to their own but I don't think that analysis is correct really and it doesn't align with the independent match reports I've read. As the second half wore on I think generally, we were the team in the ascendancy and I can only recall the one chance for Wolves (Lemina's header) after the 55th minute or thereabouts. To thr extent we didn't really push on in the final 10-15 minutes ourselves I think that is squarely due to the lack of recovery time from the Chelsea game, which is easy to underestimate from the sidelines - and if we looked a mess it was because in spite of that problem we rightly made changes (not necessarily the ones id have made) to try and win the game. That defensive system will look a but Harum scarum at times and certainly OShea and Esteve over committed at times but on balance it worked - whatever the possession stats the game was overwhelmingly played in Wolves' half because we squeezed the game so effectively.
Wolves didn't try to press high though, they were happy sitting deeper and the longer it went on the more of a threat they looked on the break. I think they were a bit surprised by how aggressive our press was but they were getting to grips with it by the end, it basically needed one classy touch from their front man to unlock us.
We had Vitinho and Odobert putting in last ditch tackles towards the end, if we are relying on that then something isn't quite right.

I'm not criticising it completely I just think we played in a naive manner, if we want to press like that there has to be an element of control to it and by the end there wasn't.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3087 times
Has Liked: 5071 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:12 am

It's the performances that are pleasing.
We haven't been anywhere near perfect, but so far ahead of where we were 2 months ago. Too little too late maybe, but I'd rather go down fighting, than with our tails between our legs.

The thing that will hurt most is the missed opportunities, the dropped points, the var decisions, the denial of Muric. Dyche always said it's the fine margins, and we've been the wrong side of those margins all season long. Still the future's looking brighter than it did.

UTC

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:34 am

Goliath wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:01 am
Wolves didn't try to press high though, they were happy sitting deeper and the longer it went on the more of a threat they looked on the break. I think they were a bit surprised by how aggressive our press was but they were getting to grips with it by the end, it basically needed one classy touch from their front man to unlock us.
We had Vitinho and Odobert putting in last ditch tackles towards the end, if we are relying on that then something isn't quite right.

I'm not criticising it completely I just think we played in a naive manner, if we want to press like that there has to be an element of control to it and by the end there wasn't.
We were desperately chasing a much needed win with a tired team. I wouldn't overthink it.

claretspice

Post by claretspice » Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:34 am

Goliath wrote:
Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:01 am

We were desperately chasing a much needed win with a tired team. I wouldn't overthink it.

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3342 times
Has Liked: 1964 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Fri Apr 05, 2024 9:43 am

Both sides seemed to have spells in both halves where they seemed to dominate possession for a good while.

Frustrating one really. Unfortunately goals are hard to come by for this team.