I’m so sick of Kompany

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1259 times
Has Liked: 1368 times

Re: I’m so sick of Kompany

Post by Elizabeth » Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:32 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:47 pm
there is a reason there are levels in football, one of the key factors is concentration - the TOP players have it and rarely make mistakes but many gain it through experience - we have neither, it's amazing how surprised some are by a lot of things we have seen this season.
All very true but I'm genuinely surprised at how Kompany has been unable to instil more discipline in the players as the season has progressed. The persistent poor timings of the goals and the very high constant number of red cards is evidence of a manager unable to be firm enough.

123EasyasBFC
Been Liked: 624 times
Has Liked: 184 times

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:33 pm

warksclaret wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:29 pm
Vegas -have been to Leicester games about 8 times this season. Lots of similarities with us last season. They will have major challenges if they go up. From what I have learned with ourselves they will be well short next year. Hermansen their GK is an exceptional young keeper and could thrive in the PL, Dewsbury Hall is a very good midfielder, Vardy is still their best striker but showing his years, and they have two very good young widemen-Fatima and Madividi but in the PL they are going to spend a lot of time tracking back. The rest of the squad needs an overhaul and strengthening. There lies the problem. They have just posted two consecutive set of accounts showing circa £90m losses in both years
Watched a lot of Southampton this season to and they would struggle massively in the premier league to

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 11061 times
Has Liked: 5667 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:35 pm

Elizabeth wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:32 pm
All very true but I'm genuinely surprised at how Kompany has been unable to instil more discipline in the players as the season has progressed. The persistent poor timings of the goals and the very high constant number of red cards is evidence of a manager unable to be firm enough.
tbh I'd say at least 3 reds have been ridiculous BUT we absolutely have to do better. Out of interest does anyone remember how many reds we got last season ?

Timings of goals are neither here nor there, teams at this level punish you at the slightest mistake.

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1658 times
Has Liked: 404 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:45 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:35 pm
tbh I'd say at least 3 reds have been ridiculous BUT we absolutely have to do better. Out of interest does anyone remember how many reds we got last season ?

Timings of goals are neither here nor there, teams at this level punish you at the slightest mistake.
Certainly I disagreed with the two Oliver reds - when VAR against Zaroury vs City (which was ankle / calf height) and yesterday.
I also disagreed with Berge at Villa - incorrect application of the rules booking a player after advantage and a shot.
The Foster one was frustration after a refereeing error that got apologised for.
Assignon at Chelsea was a dive by Mudryk after initiating contact.

So it is only the ones at Brentford and Palace I can’t complain about. Combine that with the lack of penalties for vs against, and the other reffing decisions for goals for vs against, and we’ve been very hard done by. I thus don’t really think it's fair to target VK and his squad discipline. How the heck do they avoid this stuff happening if refs are so harsh on us?
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:47 pm

CrosspoolClarets wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:45 pm
Certainly I disagreed with the two Oliver reds - when VAR against Zaroury vs City (which was ankle / calf height) and yesterday.
I also disagreed with Berge at Villa - incorrect application of the rules booking a player after advantage and a shot.
The Foster one was frustration after a refereeing error that got apologised for.
Assignon at Chelsea was a dive by Mudryk after initiating contact.

So it is only the ones at Brentford and Palace I can’t complain about. Combine that with the lack of penalties for vs against, and the other reffing decisions for goals for vs against, and we’ve been very hard done by. I thus don’t really think it's fair to target VK and his squad discipline. How the heck do they avoid this stuff happening if refs are so harsh on us?
yep, that's pretty much where I sit with it too.

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:16 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:35 pm

We will have to disagree about how significant the timing of goals are when looking at a team's discipline
This user liked this post: nil_desperandum

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:40 pm

Elizabeth wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:16 pm
We will have to disagree about how significant the timing of goals are when looking at a team's discipline
if a 70 million pound footballer sticks a 30 yarder into the top corner in the 44th minute (as a random example) what has that got to do with discipline ?
This user liked this post: boatshed bill

123EasyasBFC

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:49 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:40 pm
if a 70 million pound footballer sticks a 30 yarder into the top corner in the 44th minute (as a random example) what has that got to do with discipline ?
Nothing you can do about situations like that but I would say majority of goals we have conceded just before or just after half time have been from our own mistakes

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:25 pm

123EasyasBFC wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:49 pm
Nothing you can do about situations like that but I would say majority of goals we have conceded just before or just after half time have been from our own mistakes
same for loads of teams that concede at the end of both halves, Man Utd being the prime example recently. Ten Hags fault a player dives in and gives away a pen or that players don't close down ? Find me a single manager or coach in the history of the game that doesn't say "once they cross the white line........"

It's down to players.

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:42 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:40 pm
I don't think we are on the same page here. You don't think the high number of goals we have conceded at the end of both halves has been been a recurrent problem of lack of discipline . I wish it was the odd worldy we were talking about and suspect maybe you haven't played sport much. Apologies if you have

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:56 pm

Elizabeth wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:42 pm
I don't think we are on the same page here. You don't think the high number of goals we have conceded at the end of both halves has been been a recurrent problem of lack of discipline . I wish it was the odd worldy we were talking about and suspect maybe you haven't played sport much. Apologies if you have
You are very very wrong, I've played LOADS of football, witnessed loads of team talks with direct instructions to players and the players haven't carried out the managers tactics. That's down to players and it happens in all but the VERY best teams

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:06 am

Vegas Claret wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:56 pm
You are very very wrong, I've played LOADS of football, witnessed loads of team talks with direct instructions to players and the players haven't carried out the managers tactics. That's down to players and it happens in all but the VERY best teams
Ok Vegas, I hope I didn't insult you. Sounds like you weren't used to playing in many winning teams in your playing days 😊.
My experience of sport is the complete opposite and I had a lot of success as a team player , captain and manager. Maybe that's why we see things different.
A team can be guilty of not following the manager's instructions at times but be assured a good manager will not let them make the same mistakes over and over again. I'm sure Kompany's squad of players greatly outnumbered ours.
This user liked this post: Clive 1960

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:21 am

Elizabeth wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:06 am
Ok Vegas, I hope I didn't insult you. Sounds like you weren't used to playing in many winning teams in your playing days 😊.
My experience of sport is the complete opposite and I had a lot of success as a team player , captain and manager. Maybe that's why we see things different.
A team can be guilty of not following the manager's instructions at times but be assured a good manager will not let them make the same mistakes over and over again. I'm sure Kompany's squad of players greatly outnumbered ours.

Way more experienced managers than we have now such as Ten Hag (great at Ajax), Tuchel (serial winner), Pochetino (got Spurs to a CL final, Spurs !!!) can't get a consistent tune out of their players and teams and it's taken Arteta 4 years at Arsenal and hundreds of millions spent on players to do so because he decided to replace all the crap players. Surely all these top managers should have found it easy or are you accusing them all of not being good managers ?

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:37 am

Vegas Claret wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:21 am
Way more experienced managers than we have now such as Ten Hag (great at Ajax), Tuchel (serial winner), Pochetino (got Spurs to a CL final, Spurs !!!) can't get a consistent tune out of their players and teams and it's taken Arteta 4 years at Arsenal and hundreds of millions spent on players to do so because he decided to replace all the crap players. Surely all these top managers should have found it easy or are you accusing them all of not being good managers ?
Bedtime here so I'll be quick. I know you are not trying to put words in my mouth ,and maybe Kompany will learn over time , but on this season's evidence he will be nowhere near as good as those you mention. I believe he's been found out at the highest level unlike those on your list and I do not expect his time at the top level to be anything other than short.
You probably think I'm being premature and I know you disagree with my opinion that he doesn't have the qualities to instil the required discipline in teams playing against the best. I feel I'm being harsh but can't help that, it's certainly nothing personal against him because what he did last season was exceptional.
This user liked this post: Vegas Claret

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:54 am

Elizabeth wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:37 am
Bedtime here so I'll be quick. I know you are not trying to put words in my mouth ,and maybe Kompany will learn over time , but on this season's evidence he will be nowhere near as good as those you mention. I believe he's been found out at the highest level unlike those on your list and I do not expect his time at the top level to be anything other than short.
You probably think I'm being premature and I know you disagree with my opinion that he doesn't have the qualities to instil the required discipline in teams playing against the best. I feel I'm being harsh but can't help that, it's certainly nothing personal against him because what he did last season was exceptional.
no mate, you are 100% entitled to your thoughts, just having a conversation from a different perspective and giving examples of why it's not as easy as you are seemingly trying to suggest (especially for VK given the career stage for too many of the current batch of players). You may well be correct about VK in the long run, time will tell but as you say it's way too early to fairly judge. I hope you are wrong for our sake of course !

Clive 1960
Been Liked: 152 times
Has Liked: 200 times

Post by Clive 1960 » Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:50 am

Vegas Claret wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:56 pm
when i played everyone who was playing and had a job to do what the manager told us to do
we did it , defender's defend and attacker's attacked wasn't rocket science and sometimes i got a bollocking for being to greedy even when i scored just to keep you on your toes...

Clive 1960

Post by Clive 1960 » Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:56 am

Elizabeth wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:37 am
when i played the game once you waited for your chance it was up to you to keep the shirt, i personality think Vincent hasn't been loyal to a lot of the team that got us promoted and what they must have felt when they so the first game of the season and then on match day saw a bunch of kids in the team while they were sat on the bench...

Quicknick
Been Liked: 1218 times
Has Liked: 7206 times

Post by Quicknick » Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:17 pm

Clive 1960 wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:56 am
when i played the game once you waited for your chance it was up to you to keep the shirt, i personality think Vincent hasn't been loyal to a lot of the team that got us promoted and what they must have felt when they so the first game of the season and then on match day saw a bunch of kids in the team while they were sat on the bench...
Who did you play for, Clive?

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2352 times
Has Liked: 3183 times

Post by Paul Waine » Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:39 pm

Elizabeth wrote:
Tiredness can be reason things don't go well immediately before half-time, even more so immediately before full time. Youngsters are more likely to get tired in those last few minutes, because they haven't built up the strength and stamina to keep going to the very end. Add in a team that has less experience, so is working harder to counter the teams with more experience and you can see the challenge.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3168 times
Has Liked: 6770 times

Post by boatshed bill » Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:49 pm

A lot of things can be coached, I don't think concentration on the football pitch is one.
This user liked this post: Vegas Claret

Clive 1960

Post by Clive 1960 » Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:15 am

Quicknick wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:17 pm
Who did you play for, Clive?
just local team..
This user liked this post: Quicknick

CharlieinNewMexico
Been Liked: 838 times
Has Liked: 544 times

Post by CharlieinNewMexico » Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:49 am

Elizabeth wrote:
and suspect maybe you haven't played sport much. Apologies if you have
This is the kind of cretinous comment that gives a person’s multiple accounts away. Along with “obviously you’ve never played the game”.

I know who you are now.
These 2 users liked this post: Cooclaret Bosscat

Quicknick
Been Liked: 1218 times
Has Liked: 7206 times

Post by Quicknick » Tue Apr 09, 2024 3:08 am

Clive 1960 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:15 am
just local team..
Same here.

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2263 times
Has Liked: 2175 times

Post by CoolClaret » Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:02 am

Vegas Claret wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:25 pm
same for loads of teams that concede at the end of both halves, Man Utd being the prime example recently. Ten Hags fault a player dives in and gives away a pen or that players don't close down ? Find me a single manager or coach in the history of the game that doesn't say "once they cross the white line........"

It's down to players.
Massively disagree.

The disciplinary record and number of late goals conceded in each half is a huge indictment - it's down to the manager to sort that out and yeah United fans say the same about Ten Hag.

One offs are one thing - but when it's a repeat occurrence like it has been for us then imo suggests that it isn't mere coincidence.
This user liked this post: longsidepies

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:31 am

CoolClaret wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:02 am
Massively disagree.

The disciplinary record and number of late goals conceded in each half is a huge indictment - it's down to the manager to sort that out and yeah United fans say the same about Ten Hag.

One offs are one thing - but when it's a repeat occurrence like it has been for us then imo suggests that it isn't mere coincidence.
nope, the second the game starts it's on the players. How many goals did we concede last season in those circumstances when we had players who were better than most of the other teams ? I think maybe 2 or 3 right at the beginning of the season whilst the players where figuring it out and that included what I would class as the bedding in period for the inexperienced players. This season we've had players who have struggled to get to this level and are massively inexperienced. Not rocket science and plenty of us saw it coming a mile off.

Is it the managers fault that VAR has dicked us out of so many points and not corrected at least 3 farcical red cards ? I assume it must be as it's happened more than once

fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2220 times
Has Liked: 2211 times

Post by fidelcastro » Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:02 pm

I wonder who signed these players that throw away leads and concede at crucial times???

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:19 pm

fidelcastro wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:02 pm
I wonder who signed these players that throw away leads and concede at crucial times???
signed 16 last season and it didn't happen. Bucket loads you can throw at VK (like playing Foster on the wing wtf) but player concentration is farcical

ClaretPete001
Been Liked: 337 times
Has Liked: 163 times

Post by ClaretPete001 » Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:55 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:19 pm
signed 16 last season and it didn't happen. Bucket loads you can throw at VK (like playing Foster on the wing wtf) but player concentration is farcical
I don't agree. If you play a possession game with players not up to it then they will lose possession, give away silly penalties and start to flounder late on in each half.

It's just basic common sense. Everton had 38 per cent possession they don't lose it at the back because it's never at the back. They don't lose concentration at the end of the half because they haven't been on the ball for 63 per cent of it.

No one can justify what Muric did that was plain idiocy but a lot of it is the way we play. Otherwise you are in the game of waiting for players to mature in the hope the mistakes go away and that could take a lot longer than anyone has....!

No one would ask Nick Pope to play a passing game other than Southgate and we saw what happened there. If the likes of Trafford can't play out with his feet don't ask him to do it.

It's just plain common sense.
These 2 users liked this post: fidelcastro CoolClaret

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1705 times
Has Liked: 791 times

Post by warksclaret » Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:05 pm

If you watch O Shea and Muric's errors on Saturday you need to ask are these guys arsed about us playing in the PL. O Shea has had some very good games but seems to have a screw loose, like when within 5 minutes of a game start recently, he was running back on the pitch and headed the ball out of the throwers hands. He got a yellow then played the other 85 minutes on egg shells. Would they have done this under Dyche-no way. Its Vinny's lack of management of players that is hurting us every week. The game management ability (how many goals have we conceded between the 43-45 minute) is non existent. When he joined I thought he was one of the brightest young managers in this country-now I am in disbelief

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3150 times
Has Liked: 10260 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:08 pm

Ah well, you'll be reet.

fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2220 times
Has Liked: 2211 times

Post by fidelcastro » Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:56 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:19 pm
It didn't happen because they were largely different players playing against lesser opposition, so it's a silly defence of Kompany.

I don't what it is you see in him that the more discerning of us can't.

Cooclaret
Been Liked: 186 times
Has Liked: 395 times

Post by Cooclaret » Tue Apr 09, 2024 2:12 pm

CharlieinNewMexico wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 1:49 am
This is the kind of cretinous comment that gives a person’s multiple accounts away. Along with “obviously you’ve never played the game”.

I know who you are now.
For a long time I’ve thought this was a Troll account. Very quick to cry wolf!

123EasyasBFC

Post by 123EasyasBFC » Tue Apr 09, 2024 4:27 pm

I understand that concentration isn’t necessarily the managers fault but managing the game better is. Take muric error for example, the team is probably that heavily coached that they think they have to try that through ball everytime when common sense would say 30 seconds before half time kicking it long would be the best option.

For me it’s on kompany to relay the message that a minute before half time 0-0 or 1-0 up to just get the ball as far away from our box as possible

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6395 times
Has Liked: 8754 times

Post by IanMcL » Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:47 pm

All this passing about without ever even thinking about an end product, is the worst.

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:37 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:31 am
nope, the second the game starts it's on the players. How many goals did we concede last season in those circumstances when we had players who were better than most of the other teams ? I think maybe 2 or 3 right at the beginning of the season whilst the players where figuring it out and that included what I would class as the bedding in period for the inexperienced players. This season we've had players who have struggled to get to this level and are massively inexperienced. Not rocket science and plenty of us saw it coming a mile off.

Is it the managers fault that VAR has dicked us out of so many points and not corrected at least 3 farcical red cards ? I assume it must be as it's happened more than once
I agree with some of what you're saying Vegas but I do think you're oversimplifying it here and downplaying how a proper squad/team with better cohesion & understanding will perform vs one that doesn't.

A lot of the players are inexperienced yes but even still they were selected by VK - he didn't have to sign the players he did and he's been relatively well backed. Even the more experienced players he has signed, Sander Berge has had a few daft yellows and a red at Villa and is constantly fouling players (and getting booked) to stop teams breaking on us, which is definitely an instruction from VK.

Yes of course the players have to perform, no doubt - but if it was that simple you'd barely need a manager. The managers' philosophy, coaching style etc is on display as soon as the players cross the white line and when teams start to exhibit certain behaviours/trends and repeat them then yes it does come down to the management/coaching staff and their methods.

Have to remember tat VK still doesn't know his best 11 (exemplified more than ever by the necessary tinkers against Wolves/Everton) and the season is nearly over, you're gonna get more random incidents in teams that lack cohesion; from knowing each others' games inside out etc so that aspect is also on the manager.

Last season we still took a lot of yellows still and that is again on VK - lots of 'tactical' fouls. Jack Cork became a walking yellow card.

We literally had seasons upon seasons under Dyche with an exemplary disciplinary record and now have one of the worst/the worst in the league. Yes we have many new players but such a stark difference surely highlights that it isn't just by chance?

Ultimately the manager should be judged by how the team performs and the results it gets.
Any silly arse can try and attempt to get a team to play in whatever style is deemed 'the most pleasing' or whatever and then when it doesn't work, sort of shirk responsibility almost with excuses that the players aren't up to it.... but that's not what a manger is meant to do. A manager is meant to create a style/system to maximise the players' ability that they have at their disposal into creating a team that gets results.

When they don't and when the team is leading in some undesired metrics then questions are rightly asked of the manager.

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:08 pm

CoolClaret wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:37 pm
I agree with some of what you're saying Vegas but I do think you're oversimplifying it here and downplaying how a proper squad/team with better cohesion & understanding will perform vs one that doesn't.

A lot of the players are inexperienced yes but even still they were selected by VK - he didn't have to sign the players he did and he's been relatively well backed. Even the more experienced players he has signed, Sander Berge has had a few daft yellows and a red at Villa and is constantly fouling players (and getting booked) to stop teams breaking on us, which is definitely an instruction from VK.

Yes of course the players have to perform, no doubt - but if it was that simple you'd barely need a manager. The managers' philosophy, coaching style etc is on display as soon as the players cross the white line and when teams start to exhibit certain behaviours/trends and repeat them then yes it does come down to the management/coaching staff and their methods.

Have to remember tat VK still doesn't know his best 11 (exemplified more than ever by the necessary tinkers against Wolves/Everton) and the season is nearly over, you're gonna get more random incidents in teams that lack cohesion; from knowing each others' games inside out etc so that aspect is also on the manager.

Last season we still took a lot of yellows still and that is again on VK - lots of 'tactical' fouls. Jack Cork became a walking yellow card.

We literally had seasons upon seasons under Dyche with an exemplary disciplinary record and now have one of the worst/the worst in the league. Yes we have many new players but such a stark difference surely highlights that it isn't just by chance?

Ultimately the manager should be judged by how the team performs and the results it gets.
Any silly arse can try and attempt to get a team to play in whatever style is deemed 'the most pleasing' or whatever and then when it doesn't work, sort of shirk responsibility almost with excuses that the players aren't up to it.... but that's not what a manger is meant to do. A manager is meant to create a style/system to maximise the players' ability that they have at their disposal into creating a team that gets results.

When they don't and when the team is leading in some undesired metrics then questions are rightly asked of the manager.
It's very difficult to compare eras in terms of discipline, one of the refs we've recently had has dished out over 120 yellow cards in 24 games - what do you do with that ? It's nuts

I'm also not convinced we got VK's first choices in signings
This user liked this post: boatshed bill

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:19 pm

i'll reply to the rest at some point, I've been in hospital today again so I'm floating at the moment

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:21 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:08 pm
It's very difficult to compare eras in terms of discipline, one of the refs we've recently had has dished out over 120 yellow cards in 24 games - what do you do with that ? It's nuts

I'm also not convinced we got VK's first choices in signings
Seem to be a lot of excuses being made for VK (not just by you btw, across many platforms) which I somehow don't think would happen for other managers that haven't had the same sort of adulation.

I'm not trying to really compare eras like that.. I'm saying when we've had 7 reds and multiple goals towards the end of both halves, leading in both categories then it suggests that something isn't quite right there and is a bit more than coincidental.

As for first choice in signings? Pretty much zero managers get their first choice.. or if they did they went for more 'realistic' signings.

Pep obviously does, at least for the most part but even big managers/teams don't always sign who they want to.

Maatsen and Bart Verbruggen he obviously wanted, but there's also been tidbits about VK/team being delighted/surprised that they managed to sign players like Amdouni, Esteve and others...

CrosspoolClarets
Been Liked: 1658 times
Has Liked: 404 times

Post by CrosspoolClarets » Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:27 pm

Just had a look at those minutes conceded.

We are not outliers from minutes 30-45. We have 8 scored and 12 conceded. Similar to several. Don’t know about just the last few minutes of the half.

However where we ARE outliers (with Sheffield) is minutes 76-90. We have 6 scored and 18 conceded. But our worst time is minutes 15-29. We have only scored 1 goal and conceded 12. So it in those minutes when many games get away from us.

So it just feels like we aren’t good enough. Nothing to do with what we do at certain points in the game.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6970 times
Has Liked: 1485 times

Post by Rileybobs » Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:42 pm

CrosspoolClarets wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:27 pm

We are not outliers from minutes 30-45. We have 8 scored and 12 conceded. Similar to several. Don’t know about just the last few minutes of the half.

However where we ARE outliers (with Sheffield) is minutes 76-90. We have 6 scored and 18 conceded. But our worst time is minutes 15-29. We have only scored 1 goal and conceded 12. So it in those minutes when many games get away from us.

So it just feels like we aren’t good enough. Nothing to do with what we do at certain points in the game.
But there are certain periods in games which can be managed in such a way that it is almost impossible to concede a goal. Our last two goals conceded being prime examples, where the opposition just shouldn’t have had chance to score on the brink of half time, resulting in the momentum of each game completely changing.

ClaretPete001

Post by ClaretPete001 » Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:35 pm

CrosspoolClarets wrote:

Depending on which stats you are looking at, in terms of goals conceded in the last 15, Chelsea are similar to us as are Man Utd and West Ham United.

I can see stats from 16mins to 30mins and although we are second worst (to Sheff Utd) we are similar to Man Utd, Newcastle and Brighton.

We concede 12 goals in the periods 16-30, 31-45 and 61-75. We conceded most of our goals 76-90.

In other words, we conceded a lot of goals throughout the game but the second quarter is no different to other quarters but our worst period is the last 15 minutes.

I think you would have to add in some kind of qualitative judgment assessing how the goals were conceded to really conclude anything.

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:52 pm

CrosspoolClarets wrote:

That's it in a nutshell.

ClaretPete001

Post by ClaretPete001 » Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:00 pm

I mean stats can be difficult to prove anything one way or another but my feeling is that if Dyche had asked Pope to play out with his feet Popey would have conceded at lot of stupid goals and would probably be playing for Rotherham Utd now not Newcastle United. It wrecked his England career in 90 minutes.

I mean it is somewhat obtuse logic to assert that the players aren't good enough in order to exonerate a manager who insists on making players who aren't good enough pass the ball around at the back.

California Colner
Been Liked: 172 times
Has Liked: 115 times

Post by California Colner » Wed Apr 10, 2024 1:28 am

I’m so sick of so called fans starting threads like this one
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

CoolClaret

Post by CoolClaret » Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:38 am

CrosspoolClarets wrote:

Once again Crosspool, you're misappropriating data points.

We are referring specifically to the end of the half, not mute 30-45... including an extra 10 minutes of play is an extra 11% (minimum, plus the injury time) of a match massively skews the data.

Regularly conceding just before the half / full time does indicate an issue with the teams' concentration, tactics/tactical discipline or even fitness.
This user liked this post: Bordeauxclaret

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:03 am

ClaretPete001 wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2024 11:00 pm
I mean stats can be difficult to prove anything one way or another but my feeling is that if Dyche had asked Pope to play out with his feet Popey would have conceded at lot of stupid goals and would probably be playing for Rotherham Utd now not Newcastle United. It wrecked his England career in 90 minutes.

I mean it is somewhat obtuse logic to assert that the players aren't good enough in order to exonerate a manager who insists on making players who aren't good enough pass the ball around at the back.
How many of these late in the half goals have been conceded through playing out from the back?

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8539 times
Has Liked: 18288 times

Post by Bosscat » Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:06 am

Its VK's Birthday today ... Happy Birthday Vincent
Screenshot_20240410_090544_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20240410_090544_Chrome.jpg (139.9 KiB) Viewed 832 times

ClaretPete001

Post by ClaretPete001 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:18 am

boatshed bill wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:03 am
How many of these late in the half goals have been conceded through playing out from the back?
I don't know. As I said, you'd have to have a second criterion with some kind of judgement on how many goals were caused by the style of football.

I would say that anecdotally, almost every pundit I've listened to including the commentators on Saturday make the point that we create our own problems by playing out from the back.

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:39 am

ClaretPete001 wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:18 am
I don't know. As I said, you'd have to have a second criterion with some kind of judgement on how many goals were caused by the style of football.

I would say that anecdotally, almost every pundit I've listened to including the commentators on Saturday make the point that we create our own problems by playing out from the back.

Fair enough, we have created problems for ourselves but I don't think they are necessarily caused through this tactic alone.
Concentration, poor marking and decision making are the biggest problems.

ClaretPete001

Post by ClaretPete001 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 10:47 am

boatshed bill wrote:
Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:39 am
Fair enough, we have created problems for ourselves but I don't think they are necessarily caused through this tactic alone.
Concentration, poor marking and decision making are the biggest problems.
Yes but it's very poor management when you are exacerbating the problems that exist by insisting that a goal keeper that can't play out with his feet does so and inexperienced young players are comfortable on the ball for 90 minutes.

I mean Everton was a classic of one team trying to play and being ineffective and the other just harrying and pressing for 90 minutes and being very effective.

63 per cent possession with one shot on goal speaks volumes. Dyche played the percentages and won.

We were the better side: quicker, better passing and more skillful until Muric's error. They haven't won in 13 and lost Gueye and Onana the day before the game.

We just walked right into it, and most Clarets predicted it would happen on the pre-match discussion.

What is to argue about?