REPORT: Clarets suffer a damaging defeat at Everton

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32572 times
Has Liked: 5285 times

REPORT: Clarets suffer a damaging defeat at Everton

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:20 pm

These 3 users liked this post: Quicknick longsidepies KateR

CnBtruntru
Been Liked: 698 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Re: REPORT: Clarets suffer a damaging defeat at Everton

Post by CnBtruntru » Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:32 pm

Good read Tony and we are definitely gone now, like **** down the River.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:45 pm

CnBtruntru wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 2:32 pm
Good read Tony and we are definitely gone now, like **** down the River.
We were awful and I almost predicted what would happen against a team that was almost as bad as us but were organised with some good defenders. I'd allowed myself to get a bit carried away with not losing in four games. I really should know better.
This user liked this post: CnBtruntru

longsidepies
Been Liked: 110 times
Has Liked: 8811 times

Post by longsidepies » Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:29 pm

I've said this too many times this season but here goes again....I don't mind getting relegated. Goodness knows we've had enough pratice over the years. But if we go down, can we at least go down fighting? That performance yesterday was insipid, inept and downright unacceptable.

I'm still annoyed, can you tell?
These 3 users liked this post: bfcjg CnBtruntru cockneyclaret

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:49 pm

longsidepies wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:29 pm
I've said this too many times this season but here goes again....I don't mind getting relegated. Goodness knows we've had enough pratice over the years. But if we go down, can we at least go down fighting? That performance yesterday was insipid, inept and downright unacceptable.

I'm still annoyed, can you tell?
Absolutely spot on but there have been so many performances like that this season.
These 2 users liked this post: longsidepies onewillieirvine

Royboyclaret
Been Liked: 1284 times
Has Liked: 683 times

Post by Royboyclaret » Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:19 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 3:49 pm
Absolutely spot on but there have been so many performances like that this season.
At least the memory is still there of that final Jimmy Mac goal for us in 1962.

Jamesy
Been Liked: 806 times
Has Liked: 531 times

Post by Jamesy » Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:23 pm

Good report Tony. Yes the clanger from Muric seconds before half time had me and most of the clarets around us stunned into silence. The ball seemed to go into the net in slow motion.
Second half we were abysmal. What a contrast it was walking away from Goodison yesterday to a week earlier walking to Earls Court from Stamford Bridge feeling elated.
I was talking to a few Everton fans after the match at Kirkdale Merseyrail station and we collectively agreed that this was one of the worst matches we had watched in a long while. Sean Dyche did a lot of good in his tenure at Burnley. Yesterday reminded us how he is able to stink the place out with his attritional football to get a result. It also served to remind us how Kompany has made a real mess of putting a squad of players together to be competitive, week in week out. He has failed miserably.
These 2 users liked this post: bfcjg Quicknick

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2573 times
Has Liked: 771 times

Post by ksrclaret » Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:31 pm

Just how many reports have had to be written this season detailing yet another half-arsed and incompetent showing.

Whatever style of football this manager is trying to implement, it’s as plain as day that we’re not capable of it.
These 3 users liked this post: longsidepies warksclaret Quicknick

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:51 pm

I questioned myself on what I’d seen when I saw this quote from our manager on the way home.

“I don't think you need to overanalyse [the mistakes]," Kompany told BBC Match of the Day when asked about Muric's error and O'Shea's red card. "The main thing for us is that I think we played really well again. It's unfortunate.”
These 5 users liked this post: longsidepies warksclaret fidelcastro simonclaret Quicknick

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 2005 times
Has Liked: 1151 times

Post by FCBurnley » Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:57 pm

I can only assume you have not seen the slo mo replay of Tarks deliberately ( and very late) take out of Estève prior to being booked for holding back Odobert
In retrospect it was a huge moment in the game. Even Tarks was waiting for a yellow being shown. A very un Tarks cynical tackle

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2573 times
Has Liked: 771 times

Post by ksrclaret » Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:00 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:51 pm
I questioned myself on what I’d seen when I saw this quote from our manager on the way home.

“I don't think you need to overanalyse [the mistakes]," Kompany told BBC Match of the Day when asked about Muric's error and O'Shea's red card. "The main thing for us is that I think we played really well again. It's unfortunate.”
I do think the manager views having possession as playing well. Whereas we know the opposing manager yesterday couldn’t give a stuff about possession as long as both boxes are taken good care of.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5092 times
Has Liked: 6916 times

Post by bfcjg » Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:05 pm

It's depressing just how little effort the majority of this shower put into yesterday's performance.
This lot won't get us back up unless there's a drastic change in attitude.
These 2 users liked this post: longsidepies Quicknick

helmclaret
Been Liked: 325 times
Has Liked: 189 times

Post by helmclaret » Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:07 pm

FCBurnley wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:57 pm
I can only assume you have not seen the slo mo replay of Tarks deliberately ( and very late) take out of Estève prior to being booked for holding back Odobert
In retrospect it was a huge moment in the game. Even Tarks was waiting for a yellow being shown. A very un Tarks cynical tackle
I would have stuck Odobert a bit further forward after those challenges and got him to have another run at Tarky. We never seem to cotton on to these things.
These 2 users liked this post: FCBurnley longsidepies

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1705 times
Has Liked: 791 times

Post by warksclaret » Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:17 pm

bfcjg wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:05 pm
It's depressing just how little effort the majority of this shower put into yesterday's performance.
This lot won't get us back up unless there's a drastic change in attitude.
We need to hire a coach (transport that is) to take the first team squad, VK, Bellamy and Jackson to watch a Luton game. Might learn more from this than that multitude of laptops clicking away in the dug-out. Oh and take the analytic gurus too with their spreadsheets

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3877 times
Has Liked: 2073 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:50 pm

Jamesy wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 4:23 pm
Good report Tony. Yes the clanger from Muric seconds before half time had me and most of the clarets around us stunned into silence. The ball seemed to go into the net in slow motion.
Second half we were abysmal. What a contrast it was walking away from Goodison yesterday to a week earlier walking to Earls Court from Stamford Bridge feeling elated.
I was talking to a few Everton fans after the match at Kirkdale Merseyrail station and we collectively agreed that this was one of the worst matches we had watched in a long while. Sean Dyche did a lot of good in his tenure at Burnley. Yesterday reminded us how he is able to stink the place out with his attritional football to get a result. It also served to remind us how Kompany has made a real mess of putting a squad of players together to be competitive, week in week out. He has failed miserably.
It was dire but know where near as bad the 1-0 loss in the Ancellotti Vs Dyche game. Kevin Long up front for the last 20.

A taxi driver was telling me, that word has got round that Dyche and his staff go to the same curry house every Thursday and the taxi drivers keep going past giving them stick.

I don't think he will be there next season regardless if they stay up.
This user liked this post: cockneyclaret

helmclaret

Post by helmclaret » Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:51 pm

I think we were all feeling totally deflated at half time.

We don’t have the quality or game plan to unlock a defence, so I think we all wondered how we would get back in the game.

helmclaret

Post by helmclaret » Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:53 pm

warksclaret wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:17 pm
We need to hire a coach (transport that is) to take the first team squad, VK, Bellamy and Jackson to watch a Luton game. Might learn more from this than that multitude of laptops clicking away in the dug-out. Oh and take the analytic gurus too with their spreadsheets
Luton are one place above us. Not sure they age the example we should be following.

Goliath
Been Liked: 238 times
Has Liked: 106 times

Post by Goliath » Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:58 pm

Absolute bedwetters. We were solid but needed to do more to break them down. We know this can be difficult against a Dyche team once they go ahead. I heard a stat that was something along the lines of their last 9 home wins have been to 0.
Unfortunately mistakes cost us. It was vital that we didnt concede first.
This user liked this post: boatshed bill

ClaretPete001
Been Liked: 337 times
Has Liked: 163 times

Post by ClaretPete001 » Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:09 pm

To be fair, I thought we played well first half yesterday. Admittedly I was watching it on TV but the Goodison crowd was getting frustrated and we were knocking it about quite nicely. The Muric goal just seemed to knock the stuffing out of us.

I don't think the Everton fans will come away from that game thinking they were the better side. Same with the Wolves game most neutral observers would say we played quite well.

Muric aside we don't go down because we come away from Goodison with a point and a 0-0 draw.

It was much better than the previous Goodison game and the one at Turf where Onana walked all over us.

The issue for us is that four of that side is on-loan and I think we have a manager that isn't helping that much....!

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1705 times
Has Liked: 791 times

Post by warksclaret » Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:46 pm

helmclaret wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:53 pm
Luton are one place above us. Not sure they age the example we should be following.
It is when you consider they spent less than the sum of Amdouini and Tresor. It was for the fight they are showing that the players and coaches need to g there. Edwards has got a tune out of all lower league players in the first team. They have no right to be 17th, and I am certain the players will never give up until the last game

claretspice
Been Liked: 2833 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by claretspice » Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:53 pm

Sounds to have been a hugely disappointing performance yesterday, but I always think you should search for mitigations, and I do think there's one yesterday that has been under-explored.

We quite regularly struggled under Dyche with the third Premier League game of a 3 game week and Dyche would make no bones about that being because it was tough on a squad that had to out more in, physically and mentally, than their opponents. That remains true for us and in that sense this was always a badly timed match in which the first goal was likely to be disproportionately significant. That issue was exacerbated for us by the legacy of last Saturday's red card. There were evident tired legs during the latter part of what was a good performance on Tuesday night, and many of those same players went again yesterday with relatively limited recovery time.

Having been by common consensus - including the 5 live commentary I listened to - the better side in the first half and achieved the first objective of quietening the crowd, that ridiculous goal on half time was a hammer blow and it looks as though the team struggled to mount a response. It may well be that the fatigue accumulated over the last week played a part in that.

karatekid
Been Liked: 1113 times
Has Liked: 318 times

Post by karatekid » Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:15 pm

The worst thing about that report was reminding me that it is Twenty years since Arthur Gnohere played for us. Where did that time go and how did it pass so quickly . Scary.

JimmyRobbo
Been Liked: 509 times
Has Liked: 886 times

Post by JimmyRobbo » Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:14 pm

I thought it was a fair, if harsh, report.

That ridiculous goal changes your set-up for the next 45. It gives a Dyche side, which was already hard to break down, something to hold on to. The Dara red really ended it for us. The 2nd half was poor.

As I've said a number of times this season: good teams find ways of winning and poor teams find ways of losing. We've certainly mastered the latter.
This user liked this post: boatshed bill

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Apr 07, 2024 9:43 pm

karatekid wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 7:15 pm
The worst thing about that report was reminding me that it is Twenty years since Arthur Gnohere played for us. Where did that time go and how did it pass so quickly . Scary.
No, the worst part was reminding myself that it is over 61 years since I first went to Goodison.

Doesn't seem that long ago with Gnohere but come next month it will be twenty years since Stan left.

Wokingclaret
Been Liked: 298 times
Has Liked: 781 times

Post by Wokingclaret » Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:13 pm

Wow and the tears

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3168 times
Has Liked: 6770 times

Post by boatshed bill » Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:19 pm

warksclaret wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 5:17 pm
Let's hope you go with them.
You've done nothing but criticise VK and the team this season.
I guess you are absolutely creaming it after yesterday.

Clive 1960
Been Liked: 152 times
Has Liked: 200 times

Post by Clive 1960 » Mon Apr 08, 2024 7:18 am

Good report Tony , my take again on the game from overseas is Vincent's substitutions for the Everton game we are 1 down to a team set up by Dyche to defend what they have and he takes Forfana off to be replaced by Vitinho who swaps with Foster in a game we had to win , why not stick Jay on up top with Foster and bring Benson on and just go for it we had nothing to lose ..

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1240 times
Has Liked: 491 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:04 am

We were nowhere near as bad as people are making out. Spice sums it up pretty well in terms of the mental and physical fatigue of a 3 game week. The game was decided on one mistake when we were clearly the better of the teams. We then can’t reply with ten on the pitch after a second mistake.

The main takeaway is that Foster is not a winger and you play your best eleven for the formation you want to play. It’s a bit harsh making out we are so bad when we are clearly a young side that is improving and making mistakes along the way whilst having a run of very poor decisions from officials in most games.

I think most Burnley fans thought it was time for Dyche to go (but I certainly wasn’t one of those). I wouldn’t have him back now to watch that style of football having seen a team get 100 points in the championship and attempt to play football with more risk in the bigger league. You have to take the rough with the smooth but if you can’t see that we are improving and there are mitigating factors that’s a shame.

agreenwood
Been Liked: 1773 times
Has Liked: 273 times

Post by agreenwood » Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:42 am

claretspice wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2024 6:53 pm
Sounds to have been a hugely disappointing performance yesterday, but I always think you should search for mitigations, and I do think there's one yesterday that has been under-explored.

We quite regularly struggled under Dyche with the third Premier League game of a 3 game week and Dyche would make no bones about that being because it was tough on a squad that had to out more in, physically and mentally, than their opponents. That remains true for us and in that sense this was always a badly timed match in which the first goal was likely to be disproportionately significant. That issue was exacerbated for us by the legacy of last Saturday's red card. There were evident tired legs during the latter part of what was a good performance on Tuesday night, and many of those same players went again yesterday with relatively limited recovery time.

Having been by common consensus - including the 5 live commentary I listened to - the better side in the first half and achieved the first objective of quietening the crowd, that ridiculous goal on half time was a hammer blow and it looks as though the team struggled to mount a response. It may well be that the fatigue accumulated over the last week played a part in that.
That was my take on the game. We were the better side first half and had built into the game. The error crushed us and then any hope of recovering was extinguished by another mistake for the sending off.

We’ve played far worse this season, but it doesn’t really matter I suppose. All that matters is the points we do or don’t pick up.

Jimmymaccer
Been Liked: 600 times
Has Liked: 196 times

Post by Jimmymaccer » Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:03 am

We were never in trouble in that first half, but two really poor teams on show. Thankfully, we had that “large net” right by us segregating the fans which made it almost impossible to see the goal at our end so the “error” was simply a blur from our seats!!!!

Onwards and onwards…………….seagull shooting next up.