RATE THE REF - League Table Update - A very congested mid-table!

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4843 times
Has Liked: 947 times

RATE THE REF - League Table Update - A very congested mid-table!

Post by jdrobbo » Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:34 pm

Hi everyone,

Please find attached, the latest RTR League Table Update. Interestingly, the middle of the table caught my eye and just 4.59 points separate Bobby Madley (9th place) and Thomas Brammall (17th place).

As always, thanks to all those of you who submit ratings after attending games. It's appreciated.

All the best!

J
RTR.jpg
RTR.jpg (1.18 MiB) Viewed 149 times

Falcon
Been Liked: 894 times
Has Liked: 1172 times

Re: RATE THE REF - League Table Update - A very congested mid-table!

Post by Falcon » Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:25 pm

Out of interest, what sort of sample size (as in number of matches a ref has reffed us in) would we say is the minimum to 'establish' the score as accurate.

Whilst Gillett has had some absolute shockers for us, he is presumably highly thought of in refereeing circles, so have we just caught him on a couple of bad days? Similarly, the top 4 of the table have all had 1-4 games with us so could just have had an excellent one-off performance...

jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4843 times
Has Liked: 947 times

Re: RATE THE REF - League Table Update - A very congested mid-table!

Post by jdrobbo » Tue Apr 09, 2024 12:35 pm

It’s a really good question and I have often wondered the same… I always use Lee Mason as a casing point: his first burnley game in rate the ref was the Preston home game, where we lost 3–2.

If you recall, there was an incident in the first couple of minutes where Matt Hill clearly deliberately handled the ball on the goal line, denying a clear goalscoring opportunity.

A penalty should’ve been awarded to Burnley and the Preston defender should’ve been sent off.

Mason had another poor game early on, but then a couple of decent games. After four or five games, his average was in the high 50s. He went on to officiate us many more times in the Premier League, but his score was always in the high 50s or low 60s.

To answer your question, I think a fair assessment can be made after four or five games.
This user liked this post: Falcon