Marseille airport car hire

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
hetheclaret
Been Liked: 52 times
Has Liked: 6 times

Marseille airport car hire

Post by hetheclaret » Thu Apr 11, 2024 12:59 pm

Hi - has anyone rented a car recently from Marseille airport, and if so, have they any recommended companies/ones to avoid? Nothing fancy needed, just a car to drive around the countryside in the week for 2x people.

Rowls
Been Liked: 5102 times
Has Liked: 5178 times

Re: Marseille airport car hire

Post by Rowls » Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:17 pm

Can't recommend any specific companies unfortunately but I can recommend at least attempting French when you get to the desk.

If you don't make an effort to memorize something like, "Hello, I've rented a car but don't speak French, do you speak English?" then you'll get a much curter response than if you make the effort.

Also worth pointing out that they consider it rude if you don't begin with "Bonjour" or "Bonsoir" when you meet somebody. You're also expected to say this whenever you walk into a cafe / shop restaurant.

I also wholeheartedly recommend getting away from Marseille ASAFP.

Marseille aside, the south of France is spectacular. You're not asking for general advice so I'll leave that for you to decide. Enjoy yourself!

Stanbill05
Been Liked: 140 times
Has Liked: 54 times

Post by Stanbill05 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:34 pm

Was there a couple of months ago. All the standard firms are within 2 minute stroll from Arrivals in the nearest car park - couldnt be easier. I speak French but didn't bother because the receptionist wasn't French. Still got a car efficiently and was on the road in less than 5 minutes. Airport was quite efficient and welcoming compared to some post Brexit.

GetIntoEm
Been Liked: 153 times
Has Liked: 49 times

Post by GetIntoEm » Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:42 pm

I spend a lot of time in France, the perception that the French are not responsive to non french speakers isn't true.

I usually use Sixt or Hertz as they are the most user friendly and well staffed without finding a sign on a window asking to call.

Process will be smooth enough tho, especially if arriving during normal working hours.

AfloatinClaret
Been Liked: 562 times
Has Liked: 1412 times

Post by AfloatinClaret » Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:59 pm

Rowls wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 1:17 pm
...I also wholeheartedly recommend getting away from Marseille ASAFP.
I once spent ten days in Marseille's Vieux Port waiting for some boat parts and absolutely loved it... Sort of Liverpool but with sunshine, a great city, just watch your pockets/back. ;)

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5092 times
Has Liked: 6915 times

Post by bfcjg » Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:05 pm

Take lots of photos of the car when you pick it up, a friend of ours who visits an ex pat community over there does this always now after 1 difficult experience.

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2341 times
Has Liked: 1041 times

Post by Clarets4me » Thu Apr 11, 2024 4:58 pm

Most firms now offer the facility to pre " check in " so to speak, by uploading your driving license and passport details before arriving. I did this the last time before picking up our hire car at Bergerac-Perigord airport. From saying thank you to the cabin crew at the top of the plane steps, to driving away took 28 minutes, which was brilliant ...

Another tip is whoever is the hirer, just go straight through customs with your Cabin baggage and get in the queue for the Rental desk. You may look ungallant leaving your wife and or children to lug the cases, but you'll reduce the chance of getting struck behind two renters who haven't prebooked, and an elderly British couple who can't find the husband's license ! I tried " Rowls' " gambit, of attempting some French one year, and the clerk replied in word perfect English, " I appreciate the effort, Sir, but I think this transaction would be conducted quicker in English ! " Turns out he was a French-Canadian working a Summer job ... :roll:

dibraidio
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 143 times

Post by dibraidio » Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:10 pm

If you book from the UK you may get unlimited mileage, more often than not in France you'll get 200km per day. It's often cheaper to rent from a railway station than from an airport because they charge a premium. I've often booked through Holiday Autos they seem to get some good deals for a comparison site. Be careful with the opening times for pick up and drop off as they're not always open all hours or even every day.

There are a few buses that link the airport to local towns and train stations https://store.marseille.aeroport.fr/fr_ ... ettes-bus/

I always go for the cheapest car and you often get upgraded because they don't have them available when you arrive. They're always big enough for two and luggage and will be easier to park on the wrong side :D

SydneyClaret
Been Liked: 47 times
Has Liked: 6 times

Post by SydneyClaret » Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:36 pm

GetIntoEm wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 2:42 pm
I spend a lot of time in France, the perception that the French are not responsive to non french speakers isn't true.
Depends where you are. Are there any French speakers left in Marseille?

I’ve never had any issues in France. Always used the little bit I learned at school and found the French polite and friendly. Might help having an Aussie passport though :D

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1820 times
Has Liked: 1802 times

Post by dougcollins » Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:42 pm

AfloatinClaret wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2024 3:59 pm
I once spent ten days in Marseille's Vieux Port waiting for some boat parts and absolutely loved it... Sort of Liverpool but with sunshine, a great city, just watch your pockets/back. ;)
Marseille and Naples are two of my favourite places in Europe - don't always go by the guide books.
This user liked this post: AfloatinClaret

ecc
Been Liked: 1443 times
Has Liked: 1290 times

Post by ecc » Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:27 pm

I would add this:

Bonjour Monsieur/Bonjour Madame

Always you "s'il vous plaît" and "merci".

Being polite never a negative attitude.

As for people speaking French in Marseille, yes, they do. Despite the colour of their skin.

However, the accent can be impenetrable.