Two types of people ....

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2341 times
Has Liked: 1041 times

Two types of people ....

Post by Clarets4me » Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:12 am

This has appeared today on the " Burnley Express " website ...

https://www.burnleyexpress.net/news/peo ... wn-4594047

Tom Porter used to post on here, using the handle " Iluvmywife " ... he was a good friend to several who post on here, and I'm just lost for words that someone could do this ...

As a counterpoint, I was doing my 87 year old Mother's shopping in Tescos, Clitheroe last week when a women interrupted the cashier as she was about to start scanning my purchases. She seemed to be thanking the young lass on the till profusely, and thrust a £5 note into her hand, before leaving in tears ...

It transpired that the woman's son ( aged 8/9 ) had taken £10 of his saved pocket money, to buy flowers to put on his recently deceased Great-Grandmother's grave. He'd picked up some Red Roses, not realising they were from the " Finest " range and were £15. The young girl on the till, had asked him who they were for, and on hearing his answer, had opened her purse and paid the extra with her own money ! The boy had obviously told Mum the tale, and Mum had come back, moved by the young cashier's kindness, to pay back the £5 to ensure the cashier was not out of pocket ...

Mrs " Clarets4me " was almost in tears as well, so having determined the cashier's name, we re-entered the store and purchased a bottle of " Finest " Prosecco which was left behind the Customer Service desk for her at the end of her shift ... " One good turn deserves another " etc .. ;)
These 16 users liked this post: Bosscat Middle-agedClaret Circa86 Buxtonclaret Croydon Claret BleedingClaret bfcjg djt2006 Poulton-le-Claret theonlywayisup Claret Toni DCWat Colburn_Claret mybloodisclaret Tribesmen IanMcL

Smidge
Been Liked: 4 times

Re: Two types of people ....

Post by Smidge » Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:21 am

Tom was a good friend of mine and work colleague for many years I just can't believe anyone would want to do this.
It's funny because I looked at his tree a couple of weeks ago and wondered where the time went
The worst thing is it looks like it was a deliberate act

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2341 times
Has Liked: 1041 times

Post by Clarets4me » Thu Apr 18, 2024 1:38 pm

Smidge wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2024 10:21 am
Tom was a good friend of mine and work colleague for many years I just can't believe anyone would want to do this.
It's funny because I looked at his tree a couple of weeks ago and wondered where the time went
The worst thing is it looks like it was a deliberate act /quote]

I have an update, the Burnley Express got the story wrong, this tree is in Calder Park where there is a memorial bench to Tom. Tom's memorial tree is in Ightenhill Park, and is fine. Unfortunately, both his widow and his 3 daughters were understandably very upset for a time, as were his many friends ..

I don't think the damaged tree was a " dedication " planting, although it's destruction is still the act of a moron ... :roll:

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1820 times
Has Liked: 1803 times

Post by dougcollins » Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:01 pm

There are actually 10 types of people- those that understand binary, and those that don't.
These 3 users liked this post: fidelcastro Clarets4me IanMcL