Vilnius, Lithuania

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
IndigoLake
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 826 times

Vilnius, Lithuania

Post by IndigoLake » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:55 am

Perhaps a long shot but anyone been? :) Going for 3 or 4 days early December. I'm aware it's going to be pretty cold but would appreciate tips on things to see and do - perhaps even a worthwhile daytrip. Got tickets booked to see Lietuvos Rytas which is the local basketball team. Thanks in advance, I'm counting on you uptheclarets :D

ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2145 times
Has Liked: 3063 times

Re: Vilnius, Lithuania

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:00 am

Expect around zero as far as temperatures go. Worth checking if they have an ice hockey team too if you can get away with 2 sporting activities ;)

CleggHall
Been Liked: 838 times
Has Liked: 1044 times

Post by CleggHall » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:03 am

A beautiful old city (World heritage site?), was there 20 years ago and all I can remember is some very good steaks, red wine and nice beers. Architecture and cobbled streets also a feature. The citizens/natives did not like Russians.
Enjoy yourself.

IndigoLake

Post by IndigoLake » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:44 am

ZizkovClaret wrote:Expect around zero as far as temperatures go. Worth checking if they have an ice hockey team too if you can get away with 2 sporting activities ;)
We went to Chicago last new year so we'll be prepared :D Good idea. Had a quick look on my mobile and not much in the way of ice hockey there - would be very low level stuff if there's anything on. Thanks :)

CarlesTheClaretPuyol
Been Liked: 30 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by CarlesTheClaretPuyol » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:44 am

Fantastic place - we took a punt on going in February this year as we love winter city breaks, particularly in Eastern Europe. Flights were cheap from Liverpool and accomodation very reasonable - think flights and accom for both us came to less than £200. Temperature wise we were surprised - the week before we went it was -22. When we were there it ranged between -3 to 5.

As for the city it's stunning. Beautiful architecture, cobbled streets, alleyways and courtyards and underground bars and restaurants. Plenty of places to eat and drink and reasonable prices too, although the Euro rate was a little better in February than now.

If you're into ales then Bambalyne is a must - it's essentially a sit in underground bottle shop. A mind boggling amount of Lithuanian beers and mostly unheard of beers from around the world, all in fridges - grab a bottle and glass and off you go - we found it on the first night and went back every night.

Food wise, all Lithuanian style restaurants were good - all serving hearty, winter style food. If you fancy a break from that, Bistro 18 (contemporary French style but not expensive) and the Meat Lover's Pub (great name - book your table in the day as they queue outside at night to get in) were good - I can recommend the horse burger at the latter!

Any other info just ask - we absolutely loved it and will be going back again.
Last edited by CarlesTheClaretPuyol on Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
This user liked this post: IndigoLake

IndigoLake

Post by IndigoLake » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:46 am

CleggHall wrote:A beautiful old city (World heritage site?), was there 20 years ago and all I can remember is some very good steaks, red wine and nice beers. Architecture and cobbled streets also a feature. The citizens/natives did not like Russians.
Enjoy yourself.
Well that sounds good since I love steak and beer :) Does look like a nice city though may be a bit prettier to visit in summer when it's not as cloudy. We just wanted something cheap though so this will do the job :D Thanks!

IndigoLake

Post by IndigoLake » Mon Oct 31, 2016 10:55 am

CarlesTheClaretPuyol wrote:Fantastic place - we took a punt on going in February this year as we love winter city breaks, particularly in Eastern Europe. Flights were cheap from Liverpool and accomodation very reasonable - think flights and accom for both us came to less than £200. Temperature wise we were surprised - the week before we went it was -22. When we were there it ranged between -3 to 5.

As for the city it's stunning. Beautiful architecture, cobbled streets, alleyways and courtyards and underground bars and restaurants. Plenty of places to eat and drink and reasonable prices too, although the Euro rate was a little better in February than now.

If you're into ales then Bambalyne is a must - it's essentially a sit in underground bottle shop. A mind boggling amount of Lithuanian beers and mostly unheard of beers from around the world, all in fridges - grab a bottle and glass and off you go - we found it on the first night and went back every night.

Food wise, all Lithuanian style restaurants were good - all serving hearty, winter style food. If you fancy a break from that, Bistro 18 (contemporary French style but not expensive) and the Meat Lover's Pub (great name - book your table in the day as they queue outside at night to get in) were good - I can recommend the horse burger at the latter!

Fantastic info, thank you! I'm out and on my mobile so I'll respond fully when I'm home later :)

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:27 am

CarlesTheClaretPuyol wrote:Fantastic place - we took a punt on going in February this year as we love winter city breaks, particularly in Eastern Europe. Flights were cheap from Liverpool and accomodation very reasonable - think flights and accom for both us came to less than £200. Temperature wise we were surprised - the week before we went it was -22. When we were there it ranged between -3 to 5.

Brilliant! Sold!

Done most of eastern europe but not done lithuania. Tallinn was nice if a little quiter than expected if youve been there how does it compare?

PWBFC
Been Liked: 139 times
Has Liked: 59 times

Post by PWBFC » Mon Oct 31, 2016 12:29 pm

Check out the KGB museum. It's an ex-prison and fairly central. Very informative and (as you'd expect), very haunting.

CarlesTheClaretPuyol

Post by CarlesTheClaretPuyol » Mon Oct 31, 2016 2:41 pm

I'll second that - the KGB museum is a must to understand where Lithuania was and is now. Informative and brutal in equal measure. The Palace of the Grand Dukes and Gediminas Tower are also worth a look - fantastic view of the Old Town from up there.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:46 pm

Anyone been to Minsk from Vilnius?

In two minds on my northern lights trip now!!!

Elder statesman
Been Liked: 60 times
Has Liked: 23 times

Post by Elder statesman » Mon Oct 31, 2016 3:57 pm

Fabulous country. Agree about the KGB museum. The Hill of Crosses is pretty impressive too. There's a castle not too far from Vilnius too. We flew to Kaunus, drove round Lithuania, drove up to Riga, then bus to Estonia and flew home from Tallin. Very easy to do and lots to see.

ontario claret
Been Liked: 697 times
Has Liked: 1725 times

Post by ontario claret » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:23 pm

The centre for the Toronto Raptors is from Lithuania. Seems like a very decent bloke, despite being arrested for DUI a couple of years ago. Latvia is the best Baltic country for hockey, although they do play in Lithuania.

IndigoLake

Post by IndigoLake » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:42 pm

We've not had many breaks in Europe over winter before - we've had a couple in Spain which are local for us. However we have been to Budapest and Vienna in the summer in recent years. We've also found flights and accommodation to be very cheap and even the basketball (front row, right in the centre) was also 20 euros each.

Many thanks for the recommendation of Bambalyne. Just had a quick look on Google and it looks great - definitely visiting! Food sounds good as well. We do love to try local foods and we'll certainly be doing so. However I've found a burger place online that looks fantastic as well and I feel it's my destiny for us to visit that as well :D

Did you visit anywhere outside of Vilnius? If not, can you recommend any good indoor places to visit in the city to get out of the cold? I know that the KGB museum has been recommended so will certainly take a look at that. Thanks again!

IndigoLake

Post by IndigoLake » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:42 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Brilliant! Sold!

Done most of eastern europe but not done lithuania. Tallinn was nice if a little quiter than expected if youve been there how does it compare?
We want to go to Tallinn at some point but the flights just happened to be a little bit more expensive on the dates we could manage. Maybe next time!

IndigoLake

Post by IndigoLake » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:43 pm

PWBFC wrote:Check out the KGB museum. It's an ex-prison and fairly central. Very informative and (as you'd expect), very haunting.
Great, thanks for that. Definitely something I'm interested in!

IndigoLake

Post by IndigoLake » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:45 pm

Elder statesman wrote:Fabulous country. Agree about the KGB museum. The Hill of Crosses is pretty impressive too. There's a castle not too far from Vilnius too. We flew to Kaunus, drove round Lithuania, drove up to Riga, then bus to Estonia and flew home from Tallin. Very easy to do and lots to see.
Sounds great! Ideally we would like to do the same but we only have a few days and we'd like to spend them in the one place and just take our time - particularly if it's cold and we have to spend lots of time in museums, haha.

IndigoLake

Post by IndigoLake » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:46 pm

ontario claret wrote:The centre for the Toronto Raptors is from Lithuania. Seems like a very decent bloke, despite being arrested for DUI a couple of years ago. Latvia is the best Baltic country for hockey, although they do play in Lithuania.
Yes, basketball is pretty big in Lithuania!

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:12 pm

IndigoLake wrote:We want to go to Tallinn at some point but the flights just happened to be a little bit more expensive on the dates we could manage. Maybe next time!
When I went it was dirt cheap to fly there. Still is from London.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:13 pm

IndigoLake wrote:Perhaps a long shot but anyone been? :) Going for 3 or 4 days early December. I'm aware it's going to be pretty cold but would appreciate tips on things to see and do - perhaps even a worthwhile daytrip. Got tickets booked to see Lietuvos Rytas which is the local basketball team. Thanks in advance, I'm counting on you uptheclarets :D
Thanks for starting this thread. Its been on the list a while. Youve convinced me to go. Booked it, packed it. Happy days. Make sure you share some tips!

IndigoLake

Post by IndigoLake » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:13 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:When I went it was dirt cheap to fly there. Still is from London.
It wasn't expensive, just not as cheap as Vilnius on the dates we can go...we're looking for a cheap break as we're getting married next year and need to save really :)

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:52 pm

Keep me posted on this thread re vilnius going to get the train to minsk and do a few days there too

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Tue Nov 01, 2016 12:15 am

TomBenderson wrote:I'm sure you're on to this but don't forget you'll needa visa for Minsk.
Yeah figured that thanks as I looked at going before but went to Estonia instead.

More pressing I will probably need a Russian hat and a sheepskin in winter :|

CharlieinNewMexico
Been Liked: 815 times
Has Liked: 527 times

Post by CharlieinNewMexico » Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:03 am

I remember there's a Lithuanian Burnley fan in Vilnius called Justas. @ClaretLTU on Twitter.
Might be worth a message. Seems like a nice bloke.

PWBFC
Been Liked: 139 times
Has Liked: 59 times

Post by PWBFC » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:42 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Anyone been to Minsk from Vilnius?

In two minds on my northern lights trip now!!!
Yes, I have. Not a whole lot to see except some Soviet moniliths. I didn't spend very long there, was in town to see England play.

IndigoLake

Post by IndigoLake » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:19 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Thanks for starting this thread. Its been on the list a while. Youve convinced me to go. Booked it, packed it. Happy days. Make sure you share some tips!
Well played! :) Yes, I've used this forum and our previous forum for holiday help in the past and it has always been excellent :) Which month have you booked for? Will certainly update after we've been!

IndigoLake

Post by IndigoLake » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:20 am

CharlieinNewMexico wrote:I remember there's a Lithuanian Burnley fan in Vilnius called Justas. @ClaretLTU on Twitter.
Good shout, thanks! I'll perhaps give him a message as it's not often I get to meet fellow Burnley fans these days.

CarlesTheClaretPuyol

Post by CarlesTheClaretPuyol » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:48 am

Re Tallinn - I'd love to go but the lack of direct flights from the north always puts me off, always a bit of a faff getting down to London for a flight in my view.

Minsk - heard mixed reports. I believe most of it was flattened in various conflicts and what's replaced it is fairly dull 60's concrete or modern architecture - happy to be corrected on that however.

Vilnius - when we were there we stayed in the old town. More than enough to do for 3 days and I find if you venture out too far you lose the feeling of being immersed in such an old city. The Grand Palace has a museum which is worth a visit, the university and presidential palace are worth a look, plenty of shops if you're into that, and of course pubs, bars and restaurants a plenty. I find as long as you wrap up and wear thermals and a good hat, the weather is bearable and if anything adds to the experience, particularly if it's snowing. Worth checking if there's any markets or festivals on as they bring plenty of locals out.

Glad I've convinced someone else to go - you should have seen the looks I got at work when I told them I was going to Lithuania for a weekend!

If you want some more tips on pubs and beers, give me a shout - Svyturys is the main brand, but I liked Raudonu Plytu - more like a craft ale and slightly more modern. All the wheat beers were excellent too, and I don't usually go for those.

As a side note, if you like the food then Baltic Homeland restaurant in Burnley is worth a look - very authentic Lithuanian food and beer.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:55 am

PWBFC wrote:Yes, I have. Not a whole lot to see except some Soviet moniliths. I didn't spend very long there, was in town to see England play.
Sounds like burnley in the trafalgar flats days

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:56 am

IndigoLake wrote:Well played! :) Yes, I've used this forum and our previous forum for holiday help in the past and it has always been excellent :) Which month have you booked for? Will certainly update after we've been!
Going in March hopefully will be snowing coldest ive ever experienced was tallinn in March

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:02 am

CarlesTheClaretPuyol wrote:Re Tallinn - I'd love to go but the lack of direct flights from the north always puts me off, always a bit of a faff getting down to London for a flight in my view.

Minsk - heard mixed reports. I believe most of it was flattened in various conflicts and what's replaced it is fairly dull 60's concrete or modern architecture - happy to be corrected on that however.

Vilnius - when we were there we stayed in the old town. More than enough to do for 3 days and I find if you venture out too far you lose the feeling of being immersed in such an old city. The Grand Palace has a museum which is worth a visit, the university and presidential palace are worth a look, plenty of shops if you're into that, and of course pubs, bars and restaurants a plenty. I find as long as you wrap up and wear thermals and a good hat, the weather is bearable and if anything adds to the experience, particularly if it's snowing. Worth checking if there's any markets or festivals on as they bring plenty of locals out.

Glad I've convinced someone else to go - you should have seen the looks I got at work when I told them I was going to Lithuania for a weekend!

If you want some more tips on pubs and beers, give me a shout - Svyturys is the main brand, but I liked Raudonu Plytu - more like a craft ale and slightly more modern. All the wheat beers were excellent too, and I don't usually go for those.

As a side note, if you like the food then Baltic Homeland restaurant in Burnley is worth a look - very authentic Lithuanian food and beer.
Great thanks. Yes i will get some funny looks but often do with the places i go. On minsk ive heard mixed reports but i expect there will be some hidden gems including the opera / ballet theatre :oops:

The food in tallinn wss outstanding. They had a traditional medievil restaurant which was great and what i can only describe as a medievil oddies that did amazing pasties. Id recommend Tallinn althpugh it does feel a little touristy. Especially compared to some places ive been in eastern europe.

Ive flown from london a fair bit and it can be worth ot if youre going somewhere a bit different. Luton and stanstead are easy enough but Heathrow and Gatwick a bit of a ballache and probably a better exlerience doing the travelling over there if theres somewhere you really want to see.

IndigoLake

Post by IndigoLake » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:12 pm

CarlesTheClaretPuyol wrote:Re Tallinn - I'd love to go but the lack of direct flights from the north always puts me off, always a bit of a faff getting down to London for a flight in my view.

Thanks for this additional info - can't wait to go now! We'll be staying just north of the river but only a few minutes walk into the old town. We're actually hoping for some snow when we're there and we think there may be a Christmas market on so that should add to the Christmassy feel.

Yes, most of my mates don't really venture very far for their holidays - each to their own. To be honest, I've never understood why a person wouldn't want to go to such places - they're very interesting and they tend to be excellent value to visit.

IndigoLake

Post by IndigoLake » Tue Nov 01, 2016 1:15 pm

Just to add to this thread, we were (for several weeks) between Vilnius and Skopje, Macedonia before we decided on the former. There was an earthquake in the 60s (I think) that destroyed much of Skopje and they've been doing a rebuilding project for a good while now. It looks a very interesting and rather strange city but we've decided to wait a little longer on that one.

IndigoLake

Post by IndigoLake » Tue Nov 01, 2016 4:51 pm

TomBenderson wrote:I visited Skopje in January. They have embarked on project of filling the city with monumental statues and as a result it's rather unlike anywhere else. There are old bits still to see as well and the city overall is definitely worth a visit.
How many days would you say is enough for visiting Skopje? I get the impression that it's a good city to visit over a weekend. Certainly looked like an interesting mix of styles when I was researching it!

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:06 pm

IndigoLake wrote:Just to add to this thread, we were (for several weeks) between Vilnius and Skopje, Macedonia before we decided on the former. There was an earthquake in the 60s (I think) that destroyed much of Skopje and they've been doing a rebuilding project for a good while now. It looks a very interesting and rather strange city but we've decided to wait a little longer on that one.
Ive done skopje. One of the best cities ive visited. Went during vino skop which is a wine festival. Very interesting place with some great architecture, alexander the great tributes and mother theresas home. Highly reccomend it

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Tue Nov 01, 2016 6:07 pm

Beyond skopje you can visit lake ohrid.

Balkans are easily my favourite part of the world.

IndigoLake

Post by IndigoLake » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:58 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Ive done skopje. One of the best cities ive visited. Went during vino skop which is a wine festival. Very interesting place with some great architecture, alexander the great tributes and mother theresas home. Highly reccomend it
We'll certainly keep it in mind then! Did you get a chance to sample much of the local cuisine? Some of it looks fantastic.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Tue Nov 01, 2016 9:56 pm

IndigoLake wrote:We'll certainly keep it in mind then! Did you get a chance to sample much of the local cuisine? Some of it looks fantastic.

Oh yeah was fantastic. Lots of meat and bread but great quality.

Serbia is fantastic for food. The bureks are unbelievable.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Tue Nov 01, 2016 10:06 pm

Some pictures from Skopje when I went. This was five years ago so expect it's changed somewhat. It was undergoing significant improvement / renovation and was a real unique blend of old and new, west and east, and a truly eclectic combination ofYugoslav, Greek and Albanian. Image

IndigoLake

Post by IndigoLake » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:25 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Some pictures from Skopje when I went. This was five years ago so expect it's changed somewhat. It was undergoing significant improvement / renovation and was a real unique blend of old and new, west and east, and a truly eclectic combination ofYugoslav, Greek and Albanian.
Great photos, thanks for those! I believe the last one is some sort of museum. I believe it is almost completed though not sure if all of the building is accessible yet. It's certainly an unusual mix because so many historical buildings were wiped out by the earthquake. Plenty of statues around it seems!

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed Nov 02, 2016 10:28 am

yeah its a great place. a mate of mine went and hated it. probably not western enough. its hard to put a finger on the culture but out of all of them id say it feels mostly albanian.

IndigoLake

Post by IndigoLake » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:47 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:yeah its a great place. a mate of mine went and hated it. probably not western enough. its hard to put a finger on the culture but out of all of them id say it feels mostly albanian.
Yeah, I can understand that people would love it or hate it. It's definitely on the list!

IndigoLake

Post by IndigoLake » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:47 pm

CharlieinNewMexico wrote:I remember there's a Lithuanian Burnley fan in Vilnius called Justas. @ClaretLTU on Twitter.
Just wanted to say thanks again for this. I messaged him and we'll be meeting up :)

SussexDon1inIreland
Been Liked: 1277 times
Has Liked: 8528 times

Post by SussexDon1inIreland » Wed Nov 02, 2016 7:44 pm

Been to all the places mentioned but all on biz trips. Minsk is not worth a visit as the Visa is about £340 and although its nice and clean no one seems happy and the people seem scared to talk to anyone. Kiev is an amazing city but again not very friendly. Vilnius is definitely worth a long weekend

UTC

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Wed Nov 02, 2016 8:54 pm

SussexDon1inIreland wrote:Been to all the places mentioned but all on biz trips. Minsk is not worth a visit as the Visa is about £340 and although its nice and clean no one seems happy and the people seem scared to talk to anyone. Kiev is an amazing city but again not very friendly. Vilnius is definitely worth a long weekend

UTC
£340!? I didnt read the small print FFS!

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:42 am

TomBenderson wrote:The Belarus visa is only about £100
Yes found that thankfully.

I thought kiev was brilliant.

IndigoLake

Post by IndigoLake » Sun Dec 04, 2016 6:56 pm

Well, it's bloody cold here!
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Dec 04, 2016 7:51 pm

Any tips so far other than dress accordingly?

IndigoLake

Post by IndigoLake » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:05 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Any tips so far other than dress accordingly?
Haha, we've only had an afternoon/evening here so far but will definitely provide a full update after the trip :)

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun Dec 04, 2016 10:21 pm

Great thanks