Sean Dyche- History Man.

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Dike Muff
Been Liked: 99 times
Has Liked: 55 times

Sean Dyche- History Man.

Post by Dike Muff » Sun May 05, 2019 9:38 am

Two Automatic Promotions from the Championship, both with our record points total(under 3 pts for a win), one as Champions.
23 games undefeated(a post war record).
First win over Rovers in over three decades.
First double over them in as long.
Undefeated against them, too.
Highest League position attained in 4 decades.
European qualification for first time in 50 years.
First League win against Liverpool in 40 years, along with goals at Anfield for three consecutive seasons.
Three draws at Old Trafford on the spin.
Four consecutive top flight seasons since 1971.
First double over Leeds in my lifetime.
Same with Ipswich.
Two strikers with double figure goal tallies in top flight, for two years consecutively for first time in decades.

I’m sure that some will come on and idly point out some of Sean’s shortcomings in his time here, but that can’t really sully the amazing things he’s done in his time here. I’m just hoping he can finally add a League win against Arsenal to his resume, next week.
These 6 users liked this post: Bosscat Tricky Trevor thomaspaine turfytopper simonclaret Stalbansclaret

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6361 times
Has Liked: 8704 times

Re: Sean Dyche- History Man.

Post by IanMcL » Sun May 05, 2019 9:43 am

Which he will bar referee interference.

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 701 times

Post by mdd2 » Sun May 05, 2019 9:47 am

And a training ground dragged back from the 60/70's to a modern state of the art training complex with money in the bank and we are now Owner/occupiers
This user liked this post: Bosscat

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6477 times
Has Liked: 2908 times

Post by Steve1956 » Sun May 05, 2019 9:50 am

Dike Muff wrote:Two Automatic Promotions from the Championship, both with our record points total(under 3 pts for a win), one as Champions.
First League win against Liverpool in 40 years, along with goals at Anfield for three consecutive seasons.
Same with Ipswich.
Two strikers with double figure goal tallies in top flight, for two years consecutively for first time in decades.

I’m sure that some will come on and idly point out some of Sean’s shortcomings in his time here, but that can’t really sully the amazing things he’s done in his time here. I’m just hoping he can finally add a League win against Arsenal to his resume, next week.
And some of our support still want him sacked :lol:
These 2 users liked this post: evensteadiereddie LeadBelly

Lowbankclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 56 times

Post by Lowbankclaret » Sun May 05, 2019 9:50 am

Dike Muff wrote:Two Automatic Promotions from the Championship, both with our record points total(under 3 pts for a win), one as Champions.
Same with Ipswich.

Some people only see the negatives.

Personally I look at the parallels between Curbishley and Charlton and want him to stay. Great manager for Burnley, yes we are Burnley a small town club, punching way above our weight. Read about Curbs below and checkout what happened when he left.

Edit
When Lennie Lawrence left in July 1991, Curbishley became joint manager of the club with Steve Gritt, taking sole command from June 1995 and masterminding the revival of the club's fortunes with two promotions and consolidation into the Premier League.[10]

Under Alan Curbishley Charlton won promotion, via the play-offs in 1997–98 after a thrilling play-off final against Sunderland at Wembley. The match ended in a 4–4 draw with Charlton winning 7–6 on penalty kicks, to take their place in the Premiership for 1998–99. Charlton had a good first month of the season with a 5–0 home win over Southampton and credible 0–0 draws away to Newcastle United and Arsenal respectively, which saw Curbishley win Manager of the Month for August. However, after victory over Nottingham Forest, in the first game of October, Charlton won just one more game (against West Ham 4–2), before a dreadful run that yielded only three points from 13 games, including eight consecutive defeats, by February 1999. Charlton then won three in a row against Wimbledon, Liverpool and Derby, and Curbishley was again Manager of the Month, but the damage was already done. Charlton won just two more games before the end of the season. The double was completed over the Hammers and Aston Villa were beaten 4–3, leaving the Addicks needing a last-day victory over Sheffield Wednesday while hoping that Southampton failed against Everton. Charlton lost and Southampton won so the Addicks were relegated back to Division One.

The club resisted the knee-jerk reaction to relegation of sacking their manager, and keeping that continuity proved an investment that paid dividends. With the prolific Andy Hunt netting 24 league goals, aided by Clive Mendonca on 9, John Robinson and Graham Stuart on 7 and Richard Rufus on 6, Charlton stormed to the First Division championship winning 27 of their 46 league games to take the title with 91 points, two points ahead of Manchester City. Then, as if quashing any doubts about their title-winning form, Charlton thumped City 4–0 on the opening day of the Premiership.

Charlton didn't have a prolific scorer in 2000–01 and again the goals were more widespread among the team. Jonatan Johansson finished top scorer with 11 league goals, and Shaun Bartlett, Claus Jensen, Graham Stuart and Mathias Svensson all hit five each. A couple of useful unbeaten runs kept Charlton around mid-table position, although they were fifth in September after beating Newcastle. The best sequence nine games unbeaten, came between the last game of 2000, when the league double was completed over Manchester City, 4–1, and a goalless draw with Middlesbrough that left the Addicks in eighth place. Eventually Charlton finished the campaign in a convincing ninth place – some highlights included a 3–3 draw at home to Manchester United and wins at home against Chelsea and Arsenal.

The following season started similarly in that the team reached as high as eighth at the turn of the year, but no wins in the final eight games brought them perilously close to the drop. In the end, though, three draws from the last four games ensured safety in 14th place. Ably assisted by Keith Peacock and Mervyn Day, Alan Curbishley built a sound squad capable of holding its own in the elite league with a good balance of experience and youth, with Chris Bart-Williams, Chris Powell and Graham Stuart alongside up and coming youngsters Scott Parker and Luke Young. It looked as if the team might make a real impact and five successive wins in early 2003 elevated the side to sixth, although defeat by Arsenal started a run of eight defeats in the last 10 games for a 12th-place finish.

Charlton did so well in 2003–04 that they even threatened to claim a Champions League slot for a large part of the campaign; this eventually resulted in a 7th-place finish by the end of the season. Curbishley continued to mastermind their consolidation over the next two seasons with 11th- and 13th-place finishes. During the 2005–06 season, he also celebrated his 600th game in charge of the team with a 1–0 victory at one of his old clubs, Birmingham, in September 2005.[11] Darren Bent scored the goal.

Throughout his time at Charlton, Curbishley was frequently linked with higher-profile managerial positions. In 2004, he was one of the main candidates to become manager of Liverpool;[12] reportedly being the favoured choice of club captain Steven Gerrard, amongst others.[13] Two years later, he was one of several candidates interviewed by the Football Association for the vacant position of England manager.[10] Former England manager Sir Bobby Robson described Curbishley as being "the best equipped [candidate] to deal with the pressures of running a top international side."[14] The post, however, eventually went to Steve McClaren.[15]

After declining to extend his contract with Charlton, Curbishley agreed to leave the club at the end of the 2005–06 season.[10] He received a standing ovation from the Charlton supporters in his final home match in charge against Blackburn Rovers. Curbishley managed his final game as manager of Charlton away to Manchester United on 7 May 2006, which Charlton lost 4–0. Overall, he managed 729 games for the Addicks, just one fewer than the record held by Jimmy Seed.

Dike Muff
Been Liked: 99 times
Has Liked: 55 times

Post by Dike Muff » Sun May 05, 2019 10:23 am

Steve1956 wrote:And some of our support still want him sacked :lol:
I’d not have a go at anyone who was calling for his head at Xmas. We were in the tank at the time. Those who did should learn something from it, and the subsequent half season afterwards. We’ve got something special here.

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3148 times
Has Liked: 10236 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Sun May 05, 2019 10:41 am

He pulled it round as those of us who know anything about the game suggested he would - or at least suggested he should be given the chance to succeed.
We owed him that.
Mind - blowing that some of the loons were wanting the likes of the guy canned by Fulham to come in.

Steve1956

Post by Steve1956 » Sun May 05, 2019 10:41 am

Dike Muff wrote:I’d not have a go at anyone who was calling for his head at Xmas. We were in the tank at the time. Those who did should learn something from it, and the subsequent half season afterwards. We’ve got something special here.
So that's another one to add to his list of achievements...doomed at xmas but turned it round and survived easily much to the dismay of his distractors :D

Lord Beamish
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Sun May 05, 2019 10:44 am

Steve1956 wrote:So that's another one to add to his list of achievements...doomed at xmas but turned it round and survived easily much to the dismay of his distractors :D
Do you really think that any Burnley fan was hoping that Burnley would crash and burn just so that they could say, “I told you so”?
Last edited by Lord Beamish on Sun May 05, 2019 11:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Steve1956

Post by Steve1956 » Sun May 05, 2019 11:04 am

Lord Beamish wrote:Do you really think that any Burnley fan was hopping that Burnley would crash and burn just so that they could say, “I told you so”?
One or Two....definitely!!!!

Lord Beamish
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Sun May 05, 2019 11:07 am

Steve1956 wrote:One or Two....definitely!!!!
That sounds a bit fishy, to me. And a bit paranoid.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3077 times
Has Liked: 5042 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sun May 05, 2019 11:32 am

Same with Ipswich.
Yes, but apart from that, what has Sean Dyche ever done for us?

Steve1956

Post by Steve1956 » Sun May 05, 2019 11:42 am

Lord Beamish wrote:That sounds a bit fishy, to me. And a bit paranoid.
Ok ... :roll:

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8485 times
Has Liked: 18201 times

Post by Bosscat » Sun May 05, 2019 12:23 pm

Lord Beamish wrote:Do you really think that any Burnley fan was hoping that Burnley would crash and burn just so that they could say, “I told you so”?
Yes I reckon there were/are one or two... I agree with Steve

moaninclaret
Been Liked: 170 times
Has Liked: 277 times

Post by moaninclaret » Sun May 05, 2019 4:09 pm

The man walks on water, what he has achieved for The Clarets is nothing short of a miracle, lets hope he gets a few quid to spend wisely to boost our squad and give us hope again for the next campaign.
This user liked this post: turfytopper