Potential minimum wage increase to be world's highest

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Potential minimum wage increase to be world's highest

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun May 05, 2019 5:49 pm

https://www.theguardian.com/society/201 ... ge-low-pay" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Re: Potential minimum wage increase to be world's highest

Post by IanMcL » Sun May 05, 2019 5:55 pm

Except he'll be out of his job any time now, so irrelevant.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun May 05, 2019 6:11 pm

So his successor wouldn't carry it on then in your opinion?

AndyClaret
Been Liked: 217 times
Has Liked: 543 times

Post by AndyClaret » Sun May 05, 2019 6:12 pm

yeah, but food banks, austerity or something.
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5521 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Sun May 05, 2019 7:28 pm

If he writes it on a bus the Tories are guaranteed to win the next GE.

Spiral
Been Liked: 2518 times
Has Liked: 333 times

Post by Spiral » Sun May 05, 2019 7:35 pm

AndyClaret wrote:yeah, but food banks, austerity or something.
Food bank usage is typically a consequence of a combination of underemployment and high basic living costs. Even an absolute $hithole of a flat or house is expensive to rent. Austerity manifests, basically, as a (noticeable) reduction in public services, and on a macro level suppresses the economy. Increasing the min wage can be a good idea in theory (according to some theories) because real wages have fallen behind inflation for a while now, but raising MW closer to living wage levels doesn't disprove the two things you mention, which was, I think, what you were trying to do in a glib fashion. I know you already know all this. Everyone knows it. But still, people peddle this $hit as though rising hunger and homelessness isn't a stain on a country like ours. As though we shouldn't expect better. As though we don't have the capacity for better.
These 2 users liked this post: Flat Stanley Greenmile

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3060 times
Has Liked: 5023 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sun May 05, 2019 7:47 pm

Nobody working a 40 hour week should receive benefits, that's the only realistic level for a minimum wage. Why pay people to work out benefits, in order to subsidise poor employees. It's just a waste of tax payers money.
That level of MW would have to be set for a single, childless 21 year old, but it's a starting point.
That could also mean an increase in cost of some products or services, but surely that's a price worth paying , to achieve such a goal.

No matter what you pay as a minimum wage, some people will always claim dependence on food banks.

Spiral
Been Liked: 2518 times
Has Liked: 333 times

Post by Spiral » Sun May 05, 2019 7:51 pm

Did you mean employers, or employees, there, Colburn?
This user liked this post: Colburn_Claret

Jel
Been Liked: 261 times
Has Liked: 1169 times

Post by Jel » Sun May 05, 2019 8:57 pm

As good as this is for unskilled/semi skilled workers, I find is unfair on people who have worked hard and studied to get a trade. As a maintenance engineer I find that an average hourly rate to be around £11 to £13.
This is obviously higher than the proposed minimum wage however when you take into account annual pay rises (if you're lucky to get one), and the rate that the minimum wage is increasing, it becomes ridiculous.
It's going to get to a point when industry will struggle to get skilled workers simply because school leavers won't have the incentive to study and may as well work in a job straight from school. It may be also tempting to existing skilled people to get a job such as shelf filling, where work pressures would be considerably less.
This user liked this post: CoolClaret

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3060 times
Has Liked: 5023 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sun May 05, 2019 9:38 pm

Spiral wrote:Did you mean employers, or employees, there, Colburn?
Employers

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2159 times
Has Liked: 2046 times

Post by CoolClaret » Sun May 05, 2019 9:49 pm

Jel wrote:As good as this is for unskilled/semi skilled workers, I find is unfair on people who have worked hard and studied to get a trade. As a maintenance engineer I find that an average hourly rate to be around £11 to £13.
This is obviously higher than the proposed minimum wage however when you take into account annual pay rises (if you're lucky to get one), and the rate that the minimum wage is increasing, it becomes ridiculous.
It's going to get to a point when industry will struggle to get skilled workers simply because school leavers won't have the incentive to study and may as well work in a job straight from school. It may be also tempting to existing skilled people to get a job such as shelf filling, where work pressures would be considerably less.
Spot on. My exact sentiments...

Damo
Been Liked: 1777 times
Has Liked: 2761 times

Post by Damo » Sun May 05, 2019 10:20 pm

The kind of policy that makes Corbyn unelectable

dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Mon May 06, 2019 3:56 am

Spiral wrote:Food bank usage is typically a consequence of a combination of underemployment and high basic living costs. Even an absolute $hithole of a flat or house is expensive to rent. Austerity manifests, basically, as a (noticeable) reduction in public services, and on a macro level suppresses the economy. Increasing the min wage can be a good idea in theory (according to some theories) because real wages have fallen behind inflation for a while now, but raising MW closer to living wage levels doesn't disprove the two things you mention, which was, I think, what you were trying to do in a glib fashion. I know you already know all this. Everyone knows it. But still, people peddle this $hit as though rising hunger and homelessness isn't a stain on a country like ours. As though we shouldn't expect better. As though we don't have the capacity for better.
Food bank usage is a function of two other things. One, their availability. Two, lack of social stigma to using them.

Why are we using more food banks than ever before? Not because we're poorer than ever before. Even now, you can go into Farmfoods with one hour's worth of minimum wage and buy two large loaves of bread, seven pints of milk, eight pounds of vegetables, and a dozen apples. Add another hour, you get two big boxes of cereal, half a dozen tins of beans, and a chicken. Has food ever been so cheap?

Food bank use is increasing because it's there. What did people do when they lost their jobs before food banks? They gave up something else to buy food. Now, they don't have to.
These 5 users liked this post: AndyClaret Top Claret PaintYorkClaretnBlue GodIsADeeJay81 Colburn_Claret

IanMcL

Post by IanMcL » Mon May 06, 2019 10:22 am

Jel wrote:As good as this is for unskilled/semi skilled workers, I find is unfair on people who have worked hard and studied to get a trade. As a maintenance engineer I find that an average hourly rate to be around £11 to £13.
So keeping folk short is a good thing? Food banks acceptable? Slavery by another name.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Mon May 06, 2019 10:25 am

£10 an hour would be reasonably for a minimum hourly wage. To be honest, I thought it already was about that.

taio
Been Liked: 3220 times
Has Liked: 340 times

Post by taio » Mon May 06, 2019 10:27 am

I hope they do this. It would another good example of supporting the less well off.

If it be your will
Been Liked: 500 times
Has Liked: 509 times

Post by If it be your will » Mon May 06, 2019 6:57 pm

Last edited by If it be your will on Sat Aug 03, 2019 12:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

AndrewJB
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by AndrewJB » Mon May 06, 2019 7:13 pm

If minimum wage had kept pace with the rises in top salaries, what would it be now?

Rowls
Been Liked: 5065 times
Has Liked: 5124 times

Post by Rowls » Mon May 06, 2019 7:20 pm

IanMcL wrote:So keeping folk short is a good thing? Food banks acceptable? Slavery by another name.
That's not at all what the poster said IanMcL.

I didn't agree with everything he said but it's no excuse misrepresenting him like that.
This user liked this post: Jel

taio
Been Liked: 3220 times
Has Liked: 340 times

Post by taio » Mon May 06, 2019 7:28 pm

AndrewJB wrote:If minimum wage had kept pace with the rises in top salaries, what would it be now?
It has typically risen by 4% - 5% a year so higher than inflation.

IanMcL

Post by IanMcL » Tue May 07, 2019 12:01 am

Rowls wrote:That's not at all what the poster said IanMcL.

I didn't agree with everything he said but it's no excuse misrepresenting him like that.
It is the action and consequences ce of the statement.

The positive outcome should be that you work a week at are able to not require benefits or support to eat and live.

The skilled members of society then get more, as reward for their skills achievement and so live better.

AndrewJB
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by AndrewJB » Tue May 07, 2019 11:15 am

taio wrote:It has typically risen by 4% - 5% a year so higher than inflation.
I reckon that if the minimum wage had been linked to CEO pay since it was introduced, then it should be about £14 or £15 per hour now.

https://www.epi.org/publication/ceo-pay ... ince-1978/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;