Josh murphy

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Reecey1987
Been Liked: 217 times
Has Liked: 97 times

Josh murphy

Post by Reecey1987 » Thu May 02, 2019 8:43 pm

https://readcardiff.com/2019/05/02/murp ... f-go-down/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; linked with josh murphy not a bad little player

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Re: Josh murphy

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu May 02, 2019 8:45 pm

Not for me

Pearcey
Been Liked: 1140 times
Has Liked: 1439 times

Post by Pearcey » Thu May 02, 2019 8:58 pm

The last time I saw him play was for Norwich alongside his brother Jacob. Jacob looked the better of the 2. I’d be happy with either though. Good players and appear to be good lads as well.

Tribesmen
Been Liked: 1176 times
Has Liked: 635 times

Post by Tribesmen » Thu May 02, 2019 8:59 pm

You have to have at least one Murphy in any side , hummmmm just an idea .
These 2 users liked this post: ClaretTony Tricky Trevor

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8426 times
Has Liked: 18093 times

Post by Bosscat » Thu May 02, 2019 9:04 pm

Have been saying all season Murphy would be a good target...

ArmchairDetective
Been Liked: 397 times
Has Liked: 367 times

Post by ArmchairDetective » Thu May 02, 2019 9:33 pm

Said a couple of months ago that he would be a good signing. Opinion hasn't changed.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

fatboy47
Been Liked: 2307 times
Has Liked: 2691 times

Post by fatboy47 » Thu May 02, 2019 10:15 pm

Does he track back?

rob63
Been Liked: 186 times
Has Liked: 586 times

Post by rob63 » Thu May 02, 2019 11:20 pm

Reecey1987 wrote:https://readcardiff.com/2019/05/02/murp ... f-go-down/ linked with josh murphy not a bad little player
Hmmm, I thought the club were going for a more statistic-based model......... 3 goals & 1 assist doesn't really cut it on that basis! If they're looking at the rmf/wing position a better option would be Vormer at Club Brugge (too expensive?), Portillo at Getafe (ditto?), Duncan at Sassuolo, Sliti at Dijon, Mollet at Montpellier, or if they want a younger option, Diarra at Lens or Niane at Metz. Also today they've been linked with Roofe at Leeds(will they let us have another player?), who I liked at Oxford & is entering the last year of his contract in the summer, but it'd depend if Leeds get promoted I'd imagine.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

Long Time Lurker
Been Liked: 603 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Post by Long Time Lurker » Thu May 02, 2019 11:59 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Not for me
Agreed.

Not a bad player, his brother is better. I think he has struggled a bit in the Premiership this season, especially on the right wing.

Besides, what do we need another winger for?

On the right we have JBG, Hendrick, Lennon and Brady can also play there.

On the left we have McNeil, Brady and JBG, Lennon and Taylor can also play there.

I've heard the argument that we need a quick right winger to replicate what Dwight gives us on the right, but I can't see it myself. If we brought in a speed merchant (who offered nothing defensively) we would gain a little up front, but lose out on midfield and defensive strength.

Hendrick playing a double shift and cutting in from the right has provided Dwight and Westwood with the freedom to get forward. JBG and Lennon also put in a defensive shift. Adding in a lightweight runner to partner Dwight would lead to us being over-run in midfield, not unlike we were in the second half against Palace.

If we bring in a new striker with a bit of pace then the chances are that he will be right footed and he could well be able to do a job on the right wing, giving us even more options in that area.

At the start of last season, and in the Winter window (as a consequence of injuries) I could certainly see the case for us needing a new winger. However, we found an excellent one with the addition of Dwight. Unless somebody is leaving we don't need to spend £10m+ on another winger in pursuit of the sexy attractive football dream that has worked against so many clubs.

Would Murphy walk into a first team slot?

Nope, he would be on the bench, or fighting for a place on the bench. In that respect I don't think he wouldn't offer us anymore than the players we already have.

£10m+ is a lot of money for a solid bench warmer with a smattering of future potential. We aren't going to be awash with cash to spend in the next window, so I would prefer our funds to go on more urgent needs like a new striker and a new central midfielder. If Ward decides to leave we would also require a new first team left back.

Chasing after Murphy, and Kemar Roofe ( the other speculative rumour of the day ), wouldn't strike me as making a big forward move in respect to recruitment. Casting vulture eyes over the players in the recently relegated teams, and the top scorers from the Championship, would seem to be business as usual for us.

agreenwood
Been Liked: 1712 times
Has Liked: 269 times

Post by agreenwood » Fri May 03, 2019 8:04 am

Clickbait as a source?

Must be true.
This user liked this post: ClaretTony

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4159 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Fri May 03, 2019 8:14 am

What are the odds on any 1 rumour even a bad one like this managing to make say 10 replies before a negative response throughout the whole summer.

I am hoping we move for Charlie Adam now he is on a free, could finish some of our whoppers off

claretdj
Been Liked: 283 times
Has Liked: 173 times

Post by claretdj » Fri May 03, 2019 8:19 am

Please NO more stoke players.. :lol:

claretspice
Been Liked: 2801 times
Has Liked: 138 times

Post by claretspice » Fri May 03, 2019 8:23 am

Long Time Lurker wrote:Agreed.

Not a bad player, his brother is better. I think he has struggled a bit in the Premiership this season, especially on the right wing.

Besides, what do we need another winger for?

On the right we have JBG, Hendrick, Lennon and Brady can also play there.

On the left we have McNeil, Brady and JBG, Lennon and Taylor can also play there.

I've heard the argument that we need a quick right winger to replicate what Dwight gives us on the right, but I can't see it myself. If we brought in a speed merchant (who offered nothing defensively) we would gain a little up front, but lose out on midfield and defensive strength.

Hendrick playing a double shift and cutting in from the right has provided Dwight and Westwood with the freedom to get forward. JBG and Lennon also put in a defensive shift. Adding in a lightweight runner to partner Dwight would lead to us being over-run in midfield, not unlike we were in the second half against Palace.

If we bring in a new striker with a bit of pace then the chances are that he will be right footed and he could well be able to do a job on the right wing, giving us even more options in that area.

At the start of last season, and in the Winter window (as a consequence of injuries) I could certainly see the case for us needing a new winger. However, we found an excellent one with the addition of Dwight. Unless somebody is leaving we don't need to spend £10m+ on another winger in pursuit of the sexy attractive football dream that has worked against so many clubs.

Would Murphy walk into a first team slot?

Nope, he would be on the bench, or fighting for a place on the bench. In that respect I don't think he wouldn't offer us anymore than the players we already have.

£10m+ is a lot of money for a solid bench warmer with a smattering of future potential. We aren't going to be awash with cash to spend in the next window, so I would prefer our funds to go on more urgent needs like a new striker and a new central midfielder. If Ward decides to leave we would also require a new first team left back.

Chasing after Murphy, and Kemar Roofe ( the other speculative rumour of the day ), wouldn't strike me as making a big forward move in respect to recruitment. Casting vulture eyes over the players in the recently relegated teams, and the top scorers from the Championship, would seem to be business as usual for us.
Whilst I agree that a wide player probably isn't top of the priority list this summer, I'd have thought that a pacey, direct young player who can be developed and improved - but form part of the first squad immediately - would be on the "nice to have list" this summer. Apart from anything else, to give us an extra option if we want to go to a 4-5-1 shape.

Whether we're looking at Murphy (or Roofe) for that position, I've no idea, but the basic thinking of both doesn't seem unreasonable (and in fairness, both have enhanced their reputations this season). Personally I'd tend to the view that the ideal signing would be equally comfortable wide or up front, but at this stage we'll have a shortlist of several options who we might target. No-one is saying that these two are top of the list.

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1468 times
Has Liked: 1839 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Fri May 03, 2019 8:26 am

A decent addition

Firthy
Been Liked: 1607 times
Has Liked: 275 times

Post by Firthy » Fri May 03, 2019 8:27 am

claretspice wrote: Whether we're looking at Murphy (or Roofe) for that position, I've no idea, but the basic thinking of both doesn't seem unreasonable (and in fairness, both have enhanced their reputations this season). Personally I'd tend to the view that the ideal signing would be equally comfortable wide or up front, but at this stage we'll have a shortlist of several options who we might target. No-one is saying that these two are top of the list.
I'd think Murphy AND Roofe, that's the wide man and pacey striker sorted. Just need a creative midfielder then :) If we keep Tarkowski, Bardsley and Ward then we won't be signing any defenders.

claretspice
Been Liked: 2801 times
Has Liked: 138 times

Post by claretspice » Fri May 03, 2019 8:32 am

Firthy wrote:I'd think Murphy AND Roofe, that's the wide man and pacey striker sorted. Just need a creative midfielder then :) If we keep Tarkowski, Bardsley and Ward then we won't be signing any defenders.
Not sure we need both though, certainly unless Vydra leaves. We don't want to end up with too big a squad, hence my point that I suspect the ideal signing I suspect would be capable of playing across the front line.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32237 times
Has Liked: 5253 times

Post by ClaretTony » Fri May 03, 2019 8:36 am

There was a time when links to players offered by genuine local newspapers could be relied on as having some substance but even they are now reporting click bait links. Not saying there isn't anything in Murphy, or Roofe for that matter, but there is just so much rubbish now it's hard to know where to start with it.

MDWat
Been Liked: 871 times
Has Liked: 269 times

Post by MDWat » Fri May 03, 2019 8:46 am

One of the articles I’ve read refers back to Warnock bollocking him for not performing appropriately in training.

Sounds right up Dyche’s street. Not.

rob63

Post by rob63 » Thu May 09, 2019 4:25 pm

claretspice wrote:Not sure we need both though, certainly unless Vydra leaves. We don't want to end up with too big a squad, hence my point that I suspect the ideal signing I suspect would be capable of playing across the front line.
Agreed, just because he's a young, quick player doesn't mean he should have to be stuck on the wing in our rigid 4-4-2, he can be quick up the inside-right/left positions. Even better if he's tricky too ( I know I'm asking a lot!)- if he heads for the box then penalties come......look at Zaha-that's what he does all day. Sean bemoans our lack of penalties but truth is we don't run into the opposition box, with the ball, often enough to get one.

rob63

Post by rob63 » Thu May 09, 2019 4:26 pm

claretspice wrote:Not sure we need both though, certainly unless Vydra leaves. We don't want to end up with too big a squad, hence my point that I suspect the ideal signing I suspect would be capable of playing across the front line.
Agreed, just because he's a young, quick player doesn't mean he should have to be stuck on the wing in our rigid 4-4-2, he can be quick up the inside-right/left positions. Even better if he's tricky too ( I know I'm asking a lot!)- if he heads for the box then penalties come......look at Zaha-that's what he does all day. Sean bemoans our lack of penalties but truth is we don't run into the opposition box, with the ball, often enough to get one.

SGr
Been Liked: 1022 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by SGr » Thu May 09, 2019 6:12 pm

If we’re in the market for that profile, then Dan James is your man.