Ten years ago today

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32237 times
Has Liked: 5253 times

Ten years ago today

Post by ClaretTony » Sun May 12, 2019 12:01 am

I went to Reading for the second leg of the play-off semi-final.

I still, in so many ways, remember this game more and enjoyed it more than the final.
These 9 users liked this post: Rowls Yorkiclaret martin_p evensteadiereddie Roosterbooster longsidepies alboclaret SussexDon1inIreland Dark Cloud

Cheshireclaret
Been Liked: 338 times
Has Liked: 20 times

Re: Ten years ago today

Post by Cheshireclaret » Sun May 12, 2019 12:07 am

ClaretTony wrote:I went to Reading for the second leg of the play-off semi-final.

I still, in so many ways, remember this game more and enjoyed it more than the final.
Agreed with that latter sentiment CT. My favourite ever away night in all honesty and I definitely preferred it to Wembley. It was amazing being part of that away end that night. It was my turn to be sober chauffeur that day / night and we got back about 3.30am but I just couldn't sleep - so was in the office for 6.30am!!!! I was absolutely buzzing.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun May 12, 2019 12:10 am

Cheshireclaret wrote:Agreed with that latter sentiment CT. My favourite ever away night in all honesty and I definitely preferred it to Wembley. It was amazing being part of that away end that night. It was my turn to be sober chauffeur that day / night and we got back about 3.30am but I just couldn't sleep - so was in the office for 6.30am!!!! I was absolutely buzzing.
My mate Alan drove that night and he was in Scotland the following day. Long after the game had finished, the Burnley fans were singing: "We're not going home, we're not going home .....," to which he replied: "Oh yes we are, I've a ******* meeting in Glasgow and 9 o'clock."
This user liked this post: Jellybean

Cheshireclaret

Post by Cheshireclaret » Sun May 12, 2019 12:15 am

ClaretTony wrote:My mate Alan drove that night and he was in Scotland the following day. Long after the game had finished, the Burnley fans were singing: "We're not going home, we're not going home .....," to which he replied: "Oh yes we are, I've a ******* meeting in Glasgow and 9 o'clock."
Brilliant :lol: I remember us chanting at Blackwell about how he was a poorer version of Colin, as he sat in the commentary box, conveniently situated above the away end. Sitting duck, springs to mind.................

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun May 12, 2019 12:21 am

Cheshireclaret wrote:Brilliant :lol: I remember us chanting at Blackwell about how he was a poorer version of Colin, as he sat in the commentary box, conveniently situated above the away end. Sitting duck, springs to mind.................
The box was just to my right. Who was it that was in with him? There was another manager. But it was Blackwell getting all the stick.

Cheshireclaret

Post by Cheshireclaret » Sun May 12, 2019 12:41 am

Oooo, good question. I really can't think. Must have been someone like Pardew I suspect i.e. someone with Reading links?

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sun May 12, 2019 1:31 am

What was even better than any game that season was after we beat bristol city 4-0 at the turf. Thats when we KNEW promotion was happening. Went in town that night. And was in a bar by Walkabout. And saw the street slowly filling. Wondered what the hell was happening. It was purely spontaneous. But more and more fans started filling the street. Climbing lamposts. Singing we are going up. Everyone cluld feel it. And we had just scraped into the play offs! Was totally surreal. Will never experience that again.

Just before social media and video phones really took off. So theres very little footage about. But this is one clip of it.

https://youtu.be/DcGs5RHhyCo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4044 times
Has Liked: 1846 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Sun May 12, 2019 5:08 am

I remember thinking, why's Pato shooting from there? :D

Oh my word (or similar) it's gone in! :o :shock: :lol: :lol: :lol:
One of the all time great Clarets goals.

Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2619 times
Has Liked: 6416 times

Post by Rick_Muller » Sun May 12, 2019 7:55 am

It was a fantastic evening. I travelled down with Accy Clarets and my old mate ALP - I remember getting my shirt off and waving it above my head after we scored the second - what an atmosphere that was.

I followed the path of Pato’s Shot as I was right in line with it - it was only the last 5 yards that it turned in the air and went in

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 700 times

Post by mdd2 » Sun May 12, 2019 7:59 am

As is my way I was bricking it at home not wanting to know anything about the game until it was over and then in those days I would look at the final score on Ceefax. However I had a phone call from my son to tell me we were 2-0 up-just couldn't believe it-and then was on cloud 9 untilJanuary 2010 when OC walked out on us

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3170 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Sun May 12, 2019 8:22 am

Dad had gone away on holiday the day after the first leg, but had already left his ticket money for the final should we get there.

I was unable to go to the game but had a few round at my house to watch it.

There was only 4 of us in the living room but Mrs W said the house shook as we celebrated both the goals then the final whistle - which also involved dad as he’d rung me as it approached whilst watching in a bar.

The next step was working out who was going to get the tickets for us all :lol:

4:20
Been Liked: 1061 times
Has Liked: 1177 times

Post by 4:20 » Sun May 12, 2019 8:32 am

I was sat on the balcony outside my dorm in the working hostel I was living at in Australia, absolutely hammered with a couple of equally hammered Irish lads who'd decided to stay up and listen to the match with me over an internet radio stream. It was the dead of night and all the hostel was asleep, most of them having to get up a few hours later for another day toiling in some vegetable field. I managed to cover the screams that were coming out of my mouth for Patos goal, but when Thompson took a swing, I went absolutely mental. I couldn't help it, I sounded like 2 cats in a fight, the Irish lads were jumping up and down with me, what a moment. Anyway, full time and I went to bed for a couple of hours and got on the bus for work bleary eyed and absolutely buzzing.
"I hear that Burnley won" said one of my German mates
"Yeah! Unbelievable! I'm over the moon it's incredible, did you listen to it too?!"
"We all heard you cheering, you woke the entire hostel up ha ha"
"Oh effing hell I'm sorry", I turned to the Japanese and Korean lot "sorry, sorry, I couldn't help it"...
"No problem Dan, it was only that one time when it sounded like someone was being murdered on the balcony"..

I apologised to every single person in the hostel that evening after work, so many different nationalities, people who couldn't have given a stuff about football and Burnley cept' for my persistent obsession over the weeks previous and nobody was ****** off.
This user liked this post: mdd2

Working_Class_Zero
Been Liked: 177 times
Has Liked: 51 times

Post by Working_Class_Zero » Sun May 12, 2019 10:05 am

ClaretTony wrote:The box was just to my right. Who was it that was in with him? There was another manager. But it was Blackwell getting all the stick.
Was Aidy Boothroyd.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ead5iycJ2bY

wooooosh
Been Liked: 16 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by wooooosh » Sun May 12, 2019 10:58 am

I was behind enemy lines (and also directly behind the line of Patto's goal). Very difficult to control myself when both goals went in. The Claret support was incredible that night. I was so proud of the club. Couldn't resist singing '"You'll always be a Claret" along with the away end when super Glen did a farewell lap of honour with the Reading team afterwards.

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1868 times
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sun May 12, 2019 11:07 am

Watched it in the Red Lion in Withington, Manchester-with around another 100 clarets. Pub landlord ‘where the f@ck have you lot come from!’. Superb night!

Rowls
Been Liked: 5065 times
Has Liked: 5124 times

Post by Rowls » Sun May 12, 2019 11:57 am

There is something so magical about Pato's shot that it must have aligned with everyone in the ground so that we were all "in line" with it.

I was in line with it too.

Can remember shouting "Don't shoot! Pass it to Blake! Don't shoot! Don't...."

What an atmosphere and what an amazing night to be a Claret.

edison
Been Liked: 345 times

Post by edison » Sun May 12, 2019 12:37 pm

ClaretTony wrote:I went to Reading for the second leg of the play-off semi-final.

Still my favourite `I was there' away experience, although there first 50 mins my nerves were shredded.

mikeS
Been Liked: 650 times
Has Liked: 25 times

Post by mikeS » Sun May 12, 2019 12:46 pm

It was a cracking night remember getting back to burnley about 3:00am and kipped on the settee as I was off the work at 6:00. That performance and our previous semi away to Plymouth with SHF equally memorable.

Rowls

Post by Rowls » Sun May 12, 2019 12:49 pm

edison wrote:Still my favourite `I was there' away experience, although there first 50 mins my nerves were shredded.
They actually battered us first half and were -truth be told- a much better side.

Then we stuffed 'em with two pieces of magic!

edison

Post by edison » Sun May 12, 2019 12:57 pm

I just kept thinking to myself, even at 2-0 up on the night, `away goals don't count' and refused to join in any `going to Wembley' songs until it was almost over

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun May 12, 2019 1:07 pm

edison wrote:Still my favourite `I was there' away experience, although there first 50 mins my nerves were shredded.
Don’t I know it :D

edison

Post by edison » Sun May 12, 2019 1:09 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Don’t I know it :D
Think that was the first away match both me and MDWat attended together, which obviously was better than the result itself

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun May 12, 2019 1:11 pm

edison wrote:Think that was the first away match both me and MDWat attended together, which obviously was better than the result itself
Ha ha

Stalbansclaret
Been Liked: 1658 times
Has Liked: 2963 times

Post by Stalbansclaret » Sun May 12, 2019 1:25 pm

I'm another one who was , most definitely, bang in line with Pato's screamer. I was about 7 or 8 rows up from the front just to one side of the goalpost it curled inside and I can't ever remember celebrating a goal more...unless it was Thommo's a short while afterwards. There was total euphoria in the air that night and probably my favourite away game, or even favourite game home or away, ever attended as a Claret. A magical night.
This user liked this post: Sarum

Rowls

Post by Rowls » Sun May 12, 2019 1:33 pm

Stalbansclaret wrote:I'm another one who was , most definitely, bang in line with Pato's screamer.
I have a theory that the shot actually bent spacetime (or something) so that we were all simultaneously "bang in line" with it as the ball flew into the back of the net from infinitely finite angles. This is probably because he shot with his left foot (which he normally only used for standing) and consequently broke the spacetime continuum.

Somewhere, in an infinite number of parallel universes, Pato's shot is *still* flying into the back of that net.

Like I say, it's only a theory, but I'm yet to hear any better explanations.

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Sun May 12, 2019 1:54 pm

When you watch the crowd for Pato's goal you can see people celebrate in a wave as it's going in. It starts with those behind the goal and spreads outwards as people realise it's curling in.

(I wasn't in line with it, clearly I was sat by myself.)

Sarum
Been Liked: 123 times
Has Liked: 323 times

Post by Sarum » Sun May 12, 2019 1:58 pm

My sight line was from very low down and just to the right of the gk's right hand post. As it left Pato's boot it seemed to be whistling straight for my head. And then it changed course very fractionally. Time stood still. Then absolute bedlam. Wow, what a strike! What a goal!

Certainly the best second half and post match-celebration that I've experienced. Pato's goal is probably my joint favourite ever.
This user liked this post: Stalbansclaret

Ilkley claret
Been Liked: 94 times
Has Liked: 32 times

Post by Ilkley claret » Sun May 12, 2019 1:59 pm

I was right behind Pato's shot and thought it wa going wide!
Reading was a great night but Plymouth away was better as we were massive under dogs and were expected to get thrashed. Well worth the very long drive home afterwards!

ALP
Been Liked: 1464 times
Has Liked: 387 times

Post by ALP » Sun May 12, 2019 2:03 pm

That was one of, if not the very best away days ever; I wasn't going at first and then an opportunity came up with my good friend Rick_Muller who's Father couldn't make it. We had Weatherpoons stop on the way with Accy Clarets, had a few beers and a curry, then that match was awesome. I like others saw from the moment that Pato hit that ball that it was on it's way in, it seemed to be slow motion.

Still no time for old horserace, but he gave us some magic that night and also at Chelski, so thanks for them Coyle, both of which I'll never forget.

martin_p
Been Liked: 3764 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Sun May 12, 2019 2:40 pm

A lot of my memories of goals have been clouded by repeated viewing on tv, the tv version taking over the real memory in my mind. But I remember that Pato goal like it was yesterday. I was in line, but near the back of the stand. First was the disappointment of Pato shooting when other options looked better, then the thought that it had a chance quickly followed by the realisation that it was going in. Pandemonium then ensued.

Best away day ever for me.

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3146 times
Has Liked: 10202 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:06 pm

edison wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 12:37 pm
Still my favourite `I was there' away experience, although there first 50 mins my nerves were shredded.
And mine.
I'd talked to a family of Reading fans a d they were convinced they'd blown it after playing well in the first leg.
I agreed.
That first goal. :o

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2588 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:21 pm

martin_p wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 2:40 pm
First was the disappointment of Pato shooting when other options looked better, then the thought that it had a chance quickly followed by the realisation that it was going in.
Happened twice that season, although not quite as memorable a game, but when we beat PNE 3-1 I think half the ground groaned when Gudjonsson decided to shoot from about 35 yards.

TsarBomba
Been Liked: 1138 times
Has Liked: 288 times

Post by TsarBomba » Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:21 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 12:01 am
I went to Reading for the second leg of the play-off semi-final.

Wholeheartedly agree with this, CT.

Reading away was fabulous, but the PO final I was a nervous wreck for most of it.

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2439 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:23 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 12:21 am
The box was just to my right. Who was it that was in with him? There was another manager. But it was Blackwell getting all the stick.
Watching on tv that night. Blackwell was a broken man. He gave off a feeling of “we can’t beat these”.

Tribesmen
Been Liked: 1176 times
Has Liked: 635 times

Post by Tribesmen » Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:24 pm

Can't recall where i was but at the end i wondered how the hell were we going to get tickets to the final and i am indebted to a person who no longer posts on here .

Thanks R

Enola Gay
Been Liked: 503 times
Has Liked: 583 times

Post by Enola Gay » Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:28 pm

NottsClaret wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:21 pm
Happened twice that season, although not quite as memorable a game, but when we beat PNE 3-1 I think half the ground groaned when Gudjonsson decided to shoot from about 35 yards.
And the half that didn't groan included the PNE fans whose jeers and mocking outstretched arms were silenced and lowered when what looked like a desperately poor shot dipped like it had hit something and went right through a flailing (no, really) Lonergan...

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:31 pm

TsarBomba wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:21 pm
Wholeheartedly agree with this, CT.

Reading away was fabulous, but the PO final I was a nervous wreck for most of it.
Weird

Everyone we spoke to before the game was as confident as I've ever seen anyone at a Burnley match

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Post by IanMcL » Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:34 pm

Oh what a night!

AGENT_CLARET
Been Liked: 1130 times
Has Liked: 1001 times

Post by AGENT_CLARET » Wed Mar 15, 2023 2:54 pm

Here is the full game https://youtu.be/WyZ83cyXkt4 the commentary for both goals still to this day gives me goosebumps

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3580 times
Has Liked: 1023 times

Post by jedi_master » Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:06 pm

I didn't go sadly (never been to Reading, something I will be fixing in a few weeks all being well).

I remember I had just moved into an apartment in Leeds that very morning, on my own. I watched that match going absolutely mental. Not sure what my neighbours thought had moved in next door.

Play Off Final I was a nervous wreck before and during. My Dad was unusually confident the entire day - he had no doubts we were going to win.

Longs1de
Has Liked: 2 times

Post by Longs1de » Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:15 pm

Best away game I’ve ever been to the atmosphere was fantastic,2 brilliant strikes settled it. Went with Kevin Hodkinson who is sadly no longer with us, top night

Winstonswhite
Been Liked: 605 times
Has Liked: 309 times

Post by Winstonswhite » Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:30 pm

It was 13 years and 10 months ago- Any idea why this was bumped?!!

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1754 times
Has Liked: 469 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:54 pm

ClaretTony wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 12:10 am
My mate Alan drove that night and he was in Scotland the following day. Long after the game had finished, the Burnley fans were singing: "We're not going home, we're not going home .....," to which he replied: "Oh yes we are, I've a ******* meeting in Glasgow and 9 o'clock."
Was that Beeky you were with Tony? I can very much hear him coming out with that sort of comment. When he was in the last stages of his illness, a doctor informed him that when he reached the point where he could no longer swallow food, they would insert a feeding pipe. No you f****ng won't was his reply. Both just the sort of thing I would expect from him.

MDWat
Been Liked: 871 times
Has Liked: 269 times

Post by MDWat » Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:09 pm

edison wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 1:09 pm
Think that was the first away match both me and MDWat attended together, which obviously was better than the result itself
My guy 8-)

Easily my favourite away game!

Fretters
Been Liked: 1034 times
Has Liked: 543 times

Post by Fretters » Wed Mar 15, 2023 4:11 pm

My 25th birthday, what a night out that was!

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:02 pm

Winstonswhite wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 3:30 pm
It was 13 years and 10 months ago- Any idea why this was bumped?!!
Nope! but it's a good read.

Veals
Been Liked: 14 times

Post by Veals » Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:02 pm

I was in Hospitality seats with my dad and some friends for the Reading game. We were talking to some Reading supporters at half time and all agreed that the next goal would either give Reading the momentum to win the tie, or it would kill them off if we scored. When the goal went in, watching that away end absolutely bouncing is something I’ll never forget and I’ve spent many an idle moment wishing I’d been amongst it that night.

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 1981 times
Has Liked: 3299 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:09 pm

Steve Copell was a very good manager and actually always seemed a very decent guy, but I don't THINK he ever managed anyone after that evening. Maybe wrong, but my feeling is he resigned and walked away.

Croydon Claret
Been Liked: 1138 times
Has Liked: 756 times

Post by Croydon Claret » Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:14 pm

After Reading's defeat some supporters were giving it large about their having attained 106 points. In some way this allowed them to retain the higher ground despite crashing out of the play offs.

I remember thinking that whilst we had a trophy room full of shiny silverware, they had a printout...

distortiondave
Been Liked: 400 times
Has Liked: 69 times

Post by distortiondave » Wed Mar 15, 2023 6:14 pm

Was Coppell the manager who wanted a million quid for keeping us up after Coyle jumped ship?