Crouch could well stay

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Darthlaw
Been Liked: 1177 times
Has Liked: 414 times

Re: Crouch could well stay

Post by Darthlaw » Sat May 11, 2019 8:20 pm

Roosterbooster wrote:There's an overwhelming amount of evidence to suggest that Dyche does know what he's doing... unless it's signing strikers
Aye, Gray was gash.
This user liked this post: Oshkoshclaret

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1825 times
Has Liked: 929 times

Post by CombatClaret » Sat May 11, 2019 8:24 pm

jojomk1 wrote:a big fight to stay above the bottom 3
That's just the reality of Burnley in the Premier League.

Goody1975
Been Liked: 978 times
Has Liked: 264 times

Post by Goody1975 » Sat May 11, 2019 9:42 pm

jojomk1 wrote:"A couple squad additions and maybe one 'big' signing (a Che Adams type) is what I see as realistic.
Sorry, but for me that scenario will see us in a big fight to stay above the bottom 3 next season

Apart from youth with good potential, the only position for which we need a "squad" player is LB

I would also hope that, given SD's comments re needing money to be made available this summer, he is looking for more - we ended up spending around £30m last summer and only ended up with "squad" players[/quote]

...and like was said above i fully expect a replacement for Ward (squad player, hopefully with potential) and the main focus being on central midfield and the forward line, two players in the £20 Million range will see us just about spent up with little left to replace other elements of the team that so many have issues with, that's unless we let players like Tarkowski and Pope leave for decent fees.

This year will not be about squad filling.
This user liked this post: Wokingclaret

Giftonsnoidea
Been Liked: 225 times
Has Liked: 248 times

Post by Giftonsnoidea » Sat May 11, 2019 11:39 pm

Paul Waine wrote:Hi Gifton, I'll grant you "tall" wages - but doubt a 38/39 year old footballer will be on "big" wages. ;)
If he’s on 30k a week I hope he doesn’t get renewed, incredibly limited for a bench warmer even if he is Dyche’s mate

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2344 times
Has Liked: 3164 times

Post by Paul Waine » Sun May 12, 2019 11:22 am

Giftonsnoidea wrote:If he’s on 30k a week I hope he doesn’t get renewed, incredibly limited for a bench warmer even if he is Dyche’s mate
I'd agree with that, though I've no experience on how the negotiating strength of a 38 year old footballer, whether he's seeking to play for a Premier League club, or continuing to kick a ball in the lower divisions.

UTC

agreenwood
Been Liked: 1712 times
Has Liked: 269 times

Post by agreenwood » Sun May 12, 2019 6:01 pm

Please no. He may be a “proper bloke”, but he’s also proper ****.

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1868 times
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sun May 12, 2019 6:03 pm

After today’s cameo I think we can do better!! We went from some decent passing to aimlessly trying to lump it to his head. Vydra must have been fuming he was put on instead of him.
These 2 users liked this post: bfcjg cricketfieldclarets

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sun May 12, 2019 6:07 pm

Looking forward to us announcing Crouchie's new 1 year deal sometime this week.

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1823 times
Has Liked: 3948 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Sun May 12, 2019 6:25 pm

Steve-Harpers-perm wrote:After today’s cameo I think we can do better!! We went from some decent passing to aimlessly trying to lump it to his head. Vydra must have been fuming he was put on instead of him.
Why not bring on both? Crouch provided lots of scraps that Vydra, with his pace, could have fed from. (Not a long term solution but could have worked today).

summitclaret
Been Liked: 826 times
Has Liked: 1307 times

Post by summitclaret » Sun May 12, 2019 6:27 pm

jrgbfc wrote:Looking forward to us announcing Crouchie's new 1 year deal sometime this week.
Well hopefully that dire performance puts paid to the stupid idea of him staying. Could not out jump people 6 inch smaller.
This user liked this post: longsidepies

KlyBfc
Been Liked: 211 times
Has Liked: 126 times

Post by KlyBfc » Sun May 12, 2019 6:33 pm

Please please god no. I’m more than happy with our directness and body on the line defending. However our play each time Crouch comes on is horrendous to watch. The floaty balls up for his dire efforts to head it make watching us when he comes nothing short of painful, not sure how much of that I can genuinely put up with.

jojomk1
Been Liked: 836 times
Has Liked: 574 times

Post by jojomk1 » Sun May 12, 2019 6:45 pm

Steve-Harpers-perm wrote:After today’s cameo I think we can do better!! We went from some decent passing to aimlessly trying to lump it to his head. Vydra must have been fuming he was put on instead of him.
He is our Plan B

Will be like a new signing when the new contract is announced :o

Giftonsnoidea

Post by Giftonsnoidea » Sun May 12, 2019 6:47 pm

Dyche should save his wages and put himself on up front , he’d be just as effective

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Sun May 12, 2019 6:47 pm

The issue with Crouch is that even if he does well we don't have the team to exploit him.

Teams push up a really high line (it's nothing new, we did the same when he came off the bench against us) and we don't have the pace to make them worry that we might break past them so the tactic just becomes lob it up and hope for the best.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5002 times
Has Liked: 6715 times

Post by bfcjg » Sun May 12, 2019 6:51 pm

He is past it.

beddie
Been Liked: 1380 times
Has Liked: 511 times

Post by beddie » Sun May 12, 2019 7:35 pm

I'm sure he's a great lad but it confirmed it for me this afternoon that we should let him go and free up his wages towards a much better striker. He looks immobile at times. It's going to be another tough season. We can't afford to keep players that are unable to compete for 90 mins.

Giftonsnoidea

Post by Giftonsnoidea » Sun May 12, 2019 7:37 pm

I heard the wicker man is on a free, sign him up!

Long Time Lurker
Been Liked: 603 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Post by Long Time Lurker » Sun May 12, 2019 7:47 pm

bfcmik wrote:To be fair, we have only seen of him what SD has allowed him to show. A few minutes here and there when desperation sets in doesn't really give him the opportunity to show what contributions he could make. Same as Vydra really, to a degree.

SD and his team see all the players for many hours during training sessions so have a much better understanding of the physicality and skills that Crouch still has to offer. If they, and the stats they are addicted to, believe that Crouch is still capable, value for money (it is a squad game we play now and not everyone will get a chance out on the pitch to prove their worth to the team) and is still mentally prepared then I am happy to trust them.

After all our season after Crouch was signed wasn't that bad, was it?
Sorry to be the bringer of dark statistics, but that isn't true.

Crouch played his first game on the 2nd of February against Southampton and we drew 1-1 in the final moments thanks to a hand ball penalty that he was involved in. That game came in the midst of our most productive run, which started with the match against West Ham on the 30th of December. During that run we notched up 5 wins and 3 draws.

Following his initial appearance he sat on the bench for two matches. Then returned for another 4 matches and we lost all of them. His final match was today and we lost.

To summarise, we lost five of the six matches that he played in. Obviously, that isn't all down to him. However, we did devote all of our tacical substitutions in those games towards playing a style that suited him. The most graphic example of the impact that had was the Crystal Palace match. In the first half we had them under our thumb, the changes were made, we lost the middle ground and they tore us apart.

It is stretching credibility, but I think Peters appendix saved our season. Had we persisted with tailoring our usual game to meet his specific needs I think there is a good chance we would have been relegated.

I don't think it is simply a matter of his age. As Dyche pointed out his game has never been reliant on pace, so putting a few years on the clock hasn't hampered him as much as it would a speedster who is reliant on pace. However, the game hasn't been cocooned in a temporal bubble for the last ten years. The speed of play in the Premier League has increased dramatically.

I think a 28 year old Crouch would be less effective today than he was in the past. The game has moved on and while he might be a "weapon" without pace and physicality he is the equivalent of a long pike when the conflict has moved on to favour long bows shooting rapid arrows that cover ground quickly.

His height causes confusion, although most of the teams he has faced have coped with it fairly well. They have been more troubled by the volume of balls being launched into their box. I think a rapid player, like Vydra, would cause the same degree of confusion. Teams know what they are facing with our two wrecking balls and they prepare for them as best they can. So when we throw something new into the mix, whether it is height or pace, it will unbalance them to the same degree.

Having found his podcast, because of his arrival here, I have listened to a lot of the episodes. Crouch really does comes across as a supremely likable bloke. Whether he stays or goes I will tune in to listen to it and I would encourage anyone who hasn't to give it a listen. Unfortunately teams don't let you score because you are a good bloke.

My main concern is his inability to play 90 minutes week in and week out. That to me is a big risk and a burden that we can't afford to carry. It's okay to say that he is a third or fourth option, but a couple of injuries and he is suddenly our only option. Football is a results business and a lot of people associated with the club depend on winning results to safeguard their livliehoods. For that reason we can't afford to carry any passengers.

Secondly, spaces in our squad are limited in terms of the 25 player restriction and our wage bill. A player who needs the team to play to their strengths prevents us from playing to other strengths. More importantly a player that offers a one dimensional tactic, that is already becoming predictable, limits us. Peters spot on the bench could be filled by another player who can play in more than one position ( attacking mid / striker or winger / striker ) which would provide us with more tactical options. Not only in terms of games, but provisions for covering injuries and employing new formations.

Thirdly, whenever he plays another player doesn't. Or to put it simply another player misses out on valuable game time that could benefit their development. To put on my financial hat for a moment, that development is also key to raising the value of players through visibility.

Lastly, he may not be on 60K a week, but if he signs a new contract then I expect he will be on more than we would pay for a younger player starting out in the game. Filling a breakthrough slot in our roster as Rigg would say. A few minutes here and there could be of enormous benefit to some of the younger players, giving them something to aim for. At the moment he represents a stop gap that is denying Vydra game time, let along a younger player who could fill the spot on the bench for far less money. A player at the start of their career who is just as hungry as he is.

Putting Daniel Agyei on the bench, within touching distance of first team game time, would have done our cause a world of good if we are have it in mind to offer him a new contract.

Taking everything into account, and as much as I've grown to like the bloke through his podcast, I simply feel that he is a niche market luxury that we can't afford to keep and our loss could be a Championship teams gain.
These 2 users liked this post: claretfern The Enclosure

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1778 times
Has Liked: 1773 times

Post by dougcollins » Sun May 12, 2019 7:48 pm

Should never have come and shouldn't be anywhere near next season.
This user liked this post: Vino blanco

scouseclaret
Been Liked: 857 times
Has Liked: 264 times

Post by scouseclaret » Sun May 12, 2019 7:50 pm

Can’t see any sense at all in keeping him on. Other than winning a dubious penalty against Southampton, he’s contributed absolutely nothing. I’m still convinced the only reason we brought him in the first place was to deflect attention away from selling Vokes when we were deep in the mire.

CHEWBACCA
Been Liked: 106 times
Has Liked: 263 times

Post by CHEWBACCA » Sun May 12, 2019 7:55 pm

I bet Northcote Manor will be rubbing their hands together as hes been living there since he signed!
Last edited by CHEWBACCA on Tue May 14, 2019 7:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

dermotdermot
Been Liked: 660 times
Has Liked: 205 times

Post by dermotdermot » Sun May 12, 2019 8:31 pm

Hopefully it was just a ‘farewell’ appearance.

warksclaret
Been Liked: 1676 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by warksclaret » Sun May 12, 2019 8:33 pm

This is where our Chairman steps in and says "NO WAY SEAN", its my money.

Rather sign Jay Rod-now that it seems unlikely WBA will go up-on a two year deal. Still a great player-voted the Players Player Of The Year by WBA. Use Crouch's wages on him, on a 2 year deal. Can play wide and target man
This user liked this post: Vino blanco

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Sun May 12, 2019 8:57 pm

His wages need to go towards a player we actually need. His wages could make up part of the wages of the quality replacements we need for Cork and Hendrick in midfield. He would be nowhere near any other PL club bench. Next stop League 1 or retirement.
These 2 users liked this post: boatshed bill jojomk1

Vino blanco
Been Liked: 1898 times
Has Liked: 1965 times

Post by Vino blanco » Sun May 12, 2019 9:00 pm

Just get rid, I said he was an embarrassing signing, when we signed him and my opinion hasn't changed.

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 1967 times
Has Liked: 1132 times

Post by FCBurnley » Sun May 12, 2019 9:07 pm

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo thank you. Bye

Il Duce
Been Liked: 71 times
Has Liked: 7 times

Post by Il Duce » Sun May 12, 2019 9:16 pm

Feel that we haven’t utilised Crouch effectively at all - whenever he is on the field we resort to lumping aimless balls in his direction hoping that there will be a positive outcome. Predictable and boring.

MDWat
Been Liked: 871 times
Has Liked: 269 times

Post by MDWat » Sun May 12, 2019 9:18 pm

Completely ineffective again today.

Needs to go.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3137 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Post by boatshed bill » Sun May 12, 2019 9:23 pm

Il Duce wrote:Feel that we haven’t utilised Crouch effectively at all - whenever he is on the field we resort to lumping aimless balls in his direction hoping that there will be a positive outcome. Predictable and boring.
That's why we signed him. apparently "he's a weapon" :D

burnleymik
Been Liked: 1162 times
Has Liked: 2899 times

Post by burnleymik » Sun May 12, 2019 9:43 pm

Crouch isn't for me. Seems like a top bloke and great to have around the place, but just isn't upto the standard required in the Prem.

Most of Dyche's recent signings haven't got past the bench, despite them looking like they have potential, i.e. Gibson and Vydra. Are the board going to be factoring that in before they let him loose with the chequebook?

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1825 times
Has Liked: 929 times

Post by CombatClaret » Sun May 12, 2019 9:49 pm

burnleymik wrote:Most of Dyche's recent signings haven't got past the bench, despite them looking like they have potential, i.e. Gibson and Vydra. Are the board going to be factoring that in before they let him loose with the chequebook?
Dyche might argue his singings haven't gotten past the bench because the chequebook was the factor.

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 1981 times
Has Liked: 3299 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Sun May 12, 2019 9:52 pm

Crumbs, on that cameo??? I bloody hope not. He was garbage and yet still had a gilt edged chance to score and blew it. Christ, let Vydra have a bloody go and let Crouch retire FFS!! Vydra must be blazing!!!

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3580 times
Has Liked: 1023 times

Post by jedi_master » Sun May 12, 2019 10:07 pm

I genuinely don’t understand the physics of someone that tall not beating a comparative midget like Koscielny in the air (repeatedly).

Crouch was a disgusting signing and it’s gone exactly as 99% of us predicted it would. Please end this experiment and let this ‘great lad’ top up his pension at a more suitable level (I.e, League One).

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1868 times
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sun May 12, 2019 10:14 pm

Dark Cloud wrote:Crumbs, on that cameo??? I bloody hope not. He was garbage and yet still had a gilt edged chance to score and blew it. Christ, let Vydra have a bloody go and let Crouch retire FFS!! Vydra must be blazing!!!
Hardly blew it it was blocked by his own teammate!

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 1981 times
Has Liked: 3299 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Sun May 12, 2019 10:32 pm

Steve-Harpers-perm wrote:Hardly blew it it was blocked by his own teammate!
He mis hit it. He was only 6 yards out for goodness sake. A good hit and it's a goal, but Crouchy messed it up!! Bloody lanky clown!!!

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1503 times
Has Liked: 578 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Sun May 12, 2019 11:38 pm

So far away from the required standard it’s unreal. Don’t want to see him back next season. Vydra must be absolutely baffled.

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3327 times
Has Liked: 1939 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Mon May 13, 2019 12:01 am

Don’t mind him staying but we need to make sure he’s not third choice. We need better than that.

Right_winger
Been Liked: 492 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by Right_winger » Mon May 13, 2019 12:33 am

It’s bad enough that crouch was seen as an emergency back up this season never mind signing on for us next season

fatboy47
Been Liked: 2311 times
Has Liked: 2692 times

Post by fatboy47 » Mon May 13, 2019 6:42 am

I'd like to see him get a few starts next season.

That's when we'll see the best of him. With 30 plus starts I'm confident he will be around the 15 to 20 goal mark.

I'd be over the moon if we gave him a 2 year deal. People forget how Matthews was stil a potent threat at this level right into his late 40's.
This user liked this post: randomclaret2

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Mon May 13, 2019 7:05 am

fatboy47 wrote:I'd like to see him get a few starts next season.

That's when we'll see the best of him. With 30 plus starts I'm confident he will be around the 15 to 20 goal mark.

I'd be over the moon if we gave him a 2 year deal. People forget how Matthews was stil a potent threat at this level right into his late 40's.

Put the rod away, you're less subtle than me, and I'm poor.

Reecey1987
Been Liked: 217 times
Has Liked: 97 times

Post by Reecey1987 » Mon May 13, 2019 7:39 am

https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/s ... deal-ends/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon May 13, 2019 7:45 am

If he stays, then he's a fourth choice option, which means we are staying with our current four or Vydra is leaving.

I don't mind him as a 4th option, but I'm not keen on it!

Dodobdobodobo
Been Liked: 117 times
Has Liked: 303 times

Post by Dodobdobodobo » Mon May 13, 2019 8:06 am

He never won an header yesterday and he’s a foot taller than anyone else, his mobility is nill but he’s good around the dressing room :D
Get rid now!!!!!!!
These 2 users liked this post: DomBFC1882 Dark Cloud

Cubanclaret
Been Liked: 286 times
Has Liked: 139 times

Post by Cubanclaret » Mon May 13, 2019 9:34 am

The cameo on his debut was 8/10 - he definitely turned the game from a defeat to a draw.
Since then, its not really worked and our tendency to just lump up those floaty balls is predictable and easy to read for the vast majority of centre halves at this level.

It sounds like Southampton are in the hun for Mitrovic at £30M - I'd like to see us go back for Adams at Birmingham and/or Rodriguez, who is a classy footballer. Hard to see Vydra staying, he's have surely figured yesterday if he was going to be part of the future.

JTClaret
Been Liked: 181 times
Has Liked: 119 times

Post by JTClaret » Mon May 13, 2019 1:17 pm

Crouch causes absolute bedlam in the box as there are so many defenders who don't know what to do against him.
He's never going to be a starter, and he's never going to try and argue that he should be - The club will keep him until we sign another striker

Spike
Been Liked: 594 times
Has Liked: 1225 times

Post by Spike » Mon May 13, 2019 1:27 pm

Either he jumps at the chance or why are we bothering .Not even if he is cheap -we want someone totally committed.

Needs to spend more minutes on the pitch than blogging

jojomk1
Been Liked: 836 times
Has Liked: 574 times

Post by jojomk1 » Mon May 13, 2019 2:58 pm

[quote="warksclaret"]This is where our Chairman steps in and says "NO WAY SEAN", its my money.

Whilst it's not his personal money I do get the gist of this comment
SD was saying last summer that he expected us to break our transfer record (presume in relation to Jay)
That didn't happen but we did spend around £30m on players who were not being given much of a chance
So signings during this season have not really improved the starting eleven at all
Go back to the previous season and only Charlie Taylor seems to be really looking good for the future - Wood and Cork also came in but two years on, a fair number of supporters would probably be happy if they could be replaced this summer
Again, over £30m was spent although we did recoup this and more from the sale of Gray and Keane
The role of Rigg will be interesting this summer
As Technical Director I presume he has a strong say on all football matters which would include player retentions as well as incomings
I presume also that he will be reporting directly to the Chairman whilst maintaining a strong relationship with SD
SD hints (if news reports are to be believed) that he sees a valued role for Crouch
Interesting to see if the Chairman and/or Rigg agree with him

fatboy47
Been Liked: 2311 times
Has Liked: 2692 times

Post by fatboy47 » Mon May 13, 2019 3:34 pm

MACCA wrote:Put the rod away, you're less subtle than me, and I'm poor.

So....anyone who disagrees with you, about a full England international mind....thought of by our manager as a genuine weapon, and model professional.....is merely fishing.

I'm with Dyche on this one....a genuine upgrade on Vokes, captured without a big fee and match ready.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Mon May 13, 2019 3:55 pm

jojomk1 wrote:
Wood replaced? Blimey

ashtonlongsider
Been Liked: 493 times
Has Liked: 162 times

Post by ashtonlongsider » Mon May 13, 2019 5:47 pm

I couldn't believe it when Crouchy came on when we were in dire need of trying something different. Just wonder what Vydra must be thinking. Much as I like Crouch we need to be looking at other options given the wages he'd no doubt command.