CT sums up our season in the " Grauniad " ...

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2307 times
Has Liked: 1033 times

CT sums up our season in the " Grauniad " ...

Post by Clarets4me » Sun May 12, 2019 10:32 am

A - Z summary of each Premier League Club in the Guardian, by the fans ....... A familiar name provides his assessment of the " mighty Clarets " ....

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... ddersfield

UTC ....

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3170 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Re: CT sums up our season in the " Grauniad " ...

Post by wilks_bfc » Sun May 12, 2019 10:37 am

A - Z summary
Should that be A - W summary? :D

bobinho
Been Liked: 4070 times
Has Liked: 6538 times

Post by bobinho » Sun May 12, 2019 10:40 am

Barring the Hart hatchet job, I’d say that’s pretty much spot on.

Hart being blamed for our poor start is akin to Brian Laws being blamed for Burnley’s poor attitude and effort after sheepsteeth left. #Scapegoat.
This user liked this post: Test User

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3580 times
Has Liked: 1023 times

Post by jedi_master » Sun May 12, 2019 10:47 am

Wouldn’t say that’s a Hart hatchet job - it says exactly what happened.

We dropped him then became top 6 form for the remainder of the season. I’m sure it’s just coincidence of course...

Hart wasn’t the only change but he was the biggest, it seemed significant and it was.
These 2 users liked this post: Bosscat mybloodisclaret

mybloodisclaret
Been Liked: 686 times
Has Liked: 3950 times

Post by mybloodisclaret » Sun May 12, 2019 11:18 am

Hart made some amazing stops for us and had some great performances IMO. However you can't get away from the fact it just wasn't working. The return of Tom seemed to breathe new life into the team and we have been a different animal since he returned.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32238 times
Has Liked: 5255 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sun May 12, 2019 11:22 am

mybloodisclaret wrote:Hart made some amazing stops for us and had some great performances IMO. However you can't get away from the fact it just wasn't working. The return of Tom seemed to breathe new life into the team and we have been a different animal since he returned.
Couldn’t agree more. It wasn’t working and we saw the difference when Tom came back in and got everything organised.

Someone above referred to a hatchet job but it was not meant to be that and shouldn’t have come across like that. It’s fact that we were poor, results wise, when he was in the team and we’ve been a lot better since.
This user liked this post: mybloodisclaret

Ric_C
Been Liked: 742 times
Has Liked: 122 times

Post by Ric_C » Sun May 12, 2019 11:25 am

Good shot stopper, but total refusal to come off his line plus being poor at shots from distance is a bad combo for a keeper in a side such as ours

bobinho

Post by bobinho » Sun May 12, 2019 11:30 am

Hart played excellently. Gave everything and proper helped us out of a hole. The fact that those in front of him were sulking about something had nowt to do with Hart, and EVERYTHING to do with them.

Hatchet job may well be a little harsh, so apologies to CT for that, but to call Hart a flop is poor form imho. Taken the easy way out perhaps? Might as well cop out and give to a player who’s leaving as opposed to one who’s staying. I think it should’ve gone to JC, who last season was my top man, but this year has been weak and ineffective ALL season.

Of course, it’s entirely possible our poor start wasn’t down to just one thing, more a combination of reasons.

I agree we have been better with Tom, but Hart not coming off his line can’t explain our start. Other players didn’t show.
These 2 users liked this post: claretfern AndrewJB

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5521 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Sun May 12, 2019 11:35 am

Did the Brighton fan really call Dunk and Duffy the best central defence in the league?

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Sun May 12, 2019 12:00 pm

You can't just blame Hart for our pre Xmas run of poor form it was a multitude of things. The main turning point was the introduction of Mcneil and Heaton. Bardsley at full back and Westwood finally funding some form. Not to forget Charlie Taylor who has been excellent after Dyche finally gave him permission to enter the oppositions half.
Aberdeens support was amazing best ever on the Turf
This user liked this post: claretfern

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun May 12, 2019 12:02 pm

bobinho wrote:Hart played excellently. Gave everything and proper helped us out of a hole. The fact that those in front of him were sulking about something had nowt to do with Hart, and EVERYTHING to do with them.
Sulking or was it a lack of organisation that they had with both Heaton & Cork? The return of Heaton showed clearly to me what was missing and as such the finger has to be pointed in that respect towards Hart. I don’t think anyone will dispute he gave everything but I’m not sure what hole he dug is out of given Tom was fit for opening day of the season.

To be honest, in any case, I think you’ve just made too much of what’s been said. I didn’t think I’d any option given the way the question was asked. In tomorrow’s Mail I’ve given a similar accolade to Defour, basically because he’s not been fit.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun May 12, 2019 12:03 pm

Top Claret wrote:You can't just blame Hart for our pre Xmas run of poor form
No one has

Rowls
Been Liked: 5065 times
Has Liked: 5124 times

Post by Rowls » Sun May 12, 2019 12:05 pm

"So what you're saying is..."

Please guys.

Read it properly.
This user liked this post: ClaretTony

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8429 times
Has Liked: 18098 times

Post by Bosscat » Sun May 12, 2019 12:10 pm

ClaretTony wrote: Someone above referred to a hatchet job but it was not meant to be that and shouldn’t have come across like that.
It didn't Tony :)

box_of_frogs
Been Liked: 1087 times
Has Liked: 996 times

Post by box_of_frogs » Sun May 12, 2019 2:56 pm

City fan nailed it on the head for the clarets - our songs are as dull as our football.

Discuss!

bobinho

Post by bobinho » Sun May 12, 2019 8:08 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Sulking or was it a lack of organisation that they had with both Heaton & Cork? The return of Heaton showed clearly to me what was missing and as such the finger has to be pointed in that respect towards Hart. I don’t think anyone will dispute he gave everything but I’m not sure what hole he dug is out of given Tom was fit for opening day of the season.

To be honest, in any case, I think you’ve just made too much of what’s been said. I didn’t think I’d any option given the way the question was asked. In tomorrow’s Mail I’ve given a similar accolade to Defour, basically because he’s not been fit.
Lack of organisation I’d lay at the captains door. Who was captain when we were so very very poor?

Hart? Scapegoat.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3842 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Sun May 12, 2019 8:40 pm

box_of_frogs wrote:City fan nailed it on the head for the clarets - our songs are as dull as our football.

Discuss!
Tell that City fan he's a dick

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun May 12, 2019 10:13 pm

bobinho wrote:Lack of organisation I’d lay at the captains door. Who was captain when we were so very very poor?

Hart? Scapegoat.
Let me get this straight for you - I wrote the article and there was no intention to label Hart a scapegoat. You have clearly interpreted it incorrectly to be making the repeated comment you are making. I know what I meant, you didn't, end of story.

Burnleyareback2
Been Liked: 772 times
Has Liked: 1426 times

Post by Burnleyareback2 » Sun May 12, 2019 11:17 pm

I said it at the time, Hart made the saves a keeper should.

Heaton makes the saves that a keeper shouldn’t

Sausage
Been Liked: 637 times
Has Liked: 441 times

Post by Sausage » Mon May 13, 2019 2:00 pm

box_of_frogs wrote:City fan nailed it on the head for the clarets - our songs are as dull as our football.

Discuss!
I don't mind our style of football. Our songs, on the other hand, are awful. It can't be coincidence that clubs with great atmosphere have a repertoire of songs that don't involve swearing. Not that I'm a prude, but I really don't feel comfortable singing about B@stard Rovers with my eight year old lad sat next to me.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon May 13, 2019 2:03 pm

Sausage wrote:I really don't feel comfortable singing about B@stard Rovers with my eight year old lad sat next to me.
I get brassed off with it to be honest and also the constant booing of a player who has previously played for them.

simonclaret
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 3596 times

Post by simonclaret » Mon May 13, 2019 2:57 pm

ClaretTony wrote:I get brassed off with it to be honest and also the constant booing of a player who has previously played for them.
It did seem to affect Hoilett recently but it's hard to say whether he'd have been just as bad if his presence hadn't been noted.

Test User
Been Liked: 89 times
Has Liked: 34 times

Post by Test User » Mon May 13, 2019 2:59 pm

bobinho wrote:... Brian Laws being blamed for Burnley’s poor attitude and effort after sheepsteeth left. #Scapegoat.
That was ******* ridiculous. There have been many times in the last 20-odd years that I've been proud to be a Burnley fan, but the treatment of Brian Laws by other fans is the only time I've been ashamed to call myself one.
This user liked this post: bobinho