Tarks out of England Squad

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
JTClaret
Been Liked: 181 times
Has Liked: 119 times

Re: Tarks out of England Squad

Post by JTClaret » Fri May 17, 2019 9:18 am

I can't say I'm surprised, not sure Tarks has been good enough for an England call.

I quite like what Southgate is doing though. He appears to be picking HIS England team every time unless there's good reason to change it. Gomez was injured and Tarks wasn't on top of his game therefore when Gomez is now fit, he's back in. I think doing it the way he is will help create a reasonable club squad mentality, as much as that's possible at international level.

scouseclaret
Been Liked: 857 times
Has Liked: 264 times

Post by scouseclaret » Fri May 17, 2019 9:31 am

COBBLE wrote:Might help keep him at BFC for a bit longer.
Not sure that’s true. He might conclude that if he wants an England career, he will have to move to a “big”
Club.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Fri May 17, 2019 9:31 am

Why Butland?

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5202 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Fri May 17, 2019 9:35 am

Long Time Lurker wrote:From a Burnley point of view I'm happy to hear this, selfish I know.

Taking into account his playing time with us Tarks has been on the go for a long time. He played the majority of last season ( including the Europa ), before that he was involved in the England set up and had an operation, prior to that he played another full season.

The lad could do with a rest to recharge his batteries and enjoy his life outside of football in the company of his family and friends. We will benefit from that next season.

I would have liked Mee to get a look in though. After a slow start he has been excellent for us, especially in the last few games. His distribution is also showing improvement.
I don't think it is only Mee's distribution that holds him back from being international class. Mee is a great defender in compact areas so looks brilliant in the way Dyche sets up. At Burnley the four defenders normally just cover the width of the penalty area with 4 midfielders playning just in front of them

At international level defenders have to manage a large space as our full backs and midfielders will all push on with teams hitting us on the counter. Mee just isn't mobile and quick enough in these situations and would get completely exposed.

Likewise if Mee played for a better more attacking Premier League team he would equally struggle. We saw keane struggle to adapt at first when he left Burnley as he was suddenly left much more exposed but Keane had the quality and attributes to adapt and be more then competent is that style.

The good news about this is that Burnley have as good a defender as we could ever want for the style we play whilst at the same time we are unikely to lose him to a better team

Goobs
Been Liked: 1459 times
Has Liked: 992 times

Post by Goobs » Fri May 17, 2019 9:47 am

Spijed wrote:Why Butland?
Pope not playing, Hart not playing, Foster retire Forster not playing, Betinelli (sp?) not good enough.

Could make an argument for McCarthy or Gunn maybe. Other than that not sure who is playing at a level equal to or above Butland that would be worthy of a call.

GS and his team know Butland and obviously rate him so may as well stick with him as 2nd / 3rd choice as they are unlikely to play anyway barring suspension or injury to Pickford

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3784 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Fri May 17, 2019 10:46 am

jojomk1 wrote:Not been as consistent this season and his distribution has been off especially those 40yd crossfield balls that usually ended up in the stands
Southgate has been watching him enough this season to make a reasoned decision.
Gomez was of course attacked whilst on the pitch by Mee :D, so can understand Southgate wanting to see more of him this summer
Delph and Dier are way off the standard required
Delph way off the standard? not sure how you come to that conclusion, I actually think he's one of the better defensive minded midfielders England have (the weakest area of the England side imo). Pep even uses him at left back, you don't get into Pep sides if you can't play abit. I'd love Delph at Burnley, of course, will never happen.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3784 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Fri May 17, 2019 10:50 am

I don't know why people are surprised, it's clear Southgate likes to pick players he's worked with in the U21's, to bring through and continue their progress. I'm sure he's in a better position to pick HIS squad over biased Burnley fans crying because Tarkowski hasn't been picked. I like Tark but he's not ready for England.

alwaysaclaret
Been Liked: 234 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Post by alwaysaclaret » Fri May 17, 2019 12:51 pm

Braindead wrote:I might be in the minority here but i don't think Tarks is anywhere near England class.
He needs to realise he can't dally and attempt to turn in the middle of nowhere and expect to keep coming out with the ball, it's happened on numerous occasions this and he's lost the ball and put us under pressure, not sure on stats whether any of these occasions have ultimately led to a goal but I'd take a guess and say yes, he's technically good and if he could tidy this side of he's game up he has potential to be world class, there's also the point that he needs to curb he's temper on odd occasion, which sometimes comes out with aforementioned instance if he's lost the ball.