New home kit

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Re: New home kit

Post by MACCA » Fri May 17, 2019 3:11 pm

Sausage wrote:Agree 100%. If the club offered an option to buy a shirt with a sponsor on for £40 or a shirt without a sponsor for £50, I'd choose the £50 version. All kits look crap with sponsors logos.
This

The reason I dont bother any more.
I prefer the training wear if anything, but even those had a sponsor on a year or 2 back.

You just need to get to know someone down gawthorpe to get you a youth team/reserves jersy if you want a shirt without a sponsor.
Sadly I'm in the bracket of that if any players shirt fits me, they're in major trouble.

martin_p
Been Liked: 3764 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Fri May 17, 2019 3:33 pm

MACCA wrote:This

The reason I dont bother any more.
I prefer the training wear if anything, but even those had a sponsor on a year or 2 back.

You just need to get to know someone down gawthorpe to get you a youth team/reserves jersy if you want a shirt without a sponsor.
Or travel back to the 1970s! Sponsors on shirts are hardly new things.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Fri May 17, 2019 3:40 pm

martin_p wrote:Or travel back to the 1970s! Sponsors on shirts are hardly new things.
I'm not sure what you mean there...

Also I've not managed to save up for a time travelling machine yet either

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5202 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Fri May 17, 2019 3:52 pm

Grown men and football tops......reminds be of a similar topic recently discussed on here

http://www.uptheclarets.com/messageboar ... t=leggings

4:20
Been Liked: 1061 times
Has Liked: 1177 times

Post by 4:20 » Fri May 17, 2019 3:58 pm

I love seeing grown men in football tops
orient-1.jpg
orient-1.jpg (262.33 KiB) Viewed 4285 times

bfcwest
Been Liked: 69 times
Has Liked: 85 times

Post by bfcwest » Fri May 17, 2019 4:33 pm

Sausage wrote:Agree 100%. If the club offered an option to buy a shirt with a sponsor on for £40 or a shirt without a sponsor for £50, I'd choose the £50 version. All kits look crap with sponsors logos.
Me too. Last season I did ask the club shop if I could buy one without the sponsor but they wouldn't help.

I wonder how many sales they are missing out on by having such an awful looking shirt (due to the sponsor?). Surely they would sell many more if it had a bit more class?

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3327 times
Has Liked: 1942 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Fri May 17, 2019 4:40 pm

Probably a lot of sales but nowhere near enough to make a dent in the amount they get from these firms.

They’d want to pay less if that was an option.

Murger
Been Liked: 1235 times
Has Liked: 844 times

Post by Murger » Fri May 17, 2019 4:49 pm

The price of these shirts seems to be slowly creeping up. I wonder how much the new ones will go for?

bfcwest

Post by bfcwest » Fri May 17, 2019 4:54 pm

Bordeauxclaret wrote:Probably a lot of sales but nowhere near enough to make a dent in the amount they get from these firms.

They’d want to pay less if that was an option.

It's not just the extra sales. Having a classy top that is more appealing to a wider audience can be a factor in widening our fanbase. Having 'Love Bet' emblazoned on the front really limits the top to 'uber fans' who don't care what they look like! (most of us would only wear it on matchday when at least you are in a crowd!)

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4161 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Fri May 17, 2019 4:59 pm

I remember the crowds almost doubled when we had Hollands Pies on the front and trebled when we stuck vodka on it
This user liked this post: Bosscat

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Fri May 17, 2019 5:11 pm

bfcwest wrote:It's not just the extra sales. Having a classy top that is more appealing to a wider audience can be a factor in widening our fanbase. Having 'Love Bet' emblazoned on the front really limits the top to 'uber fans' who don't care what they look like! (most of us would only wear it on matchday when at least you are in a crowd!)
If they wanted to appeal to a wider audience the first step would probably to sell the shirt somewhere other than the club shop (although plenty of the smaller clubs do the same as us, the conclusion must be that the extra profit generated outweighs the lost sales).

bfcwest

Post by bfcwest » Fri May 17, 2019 5:13 pm

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:I remember the crowds almost doubled when we had Hollands Pies on the front and trebled when we stuck vodka on it
Maybe you drank too much of the stuff and just thought you were seeing more than were there?

bfcwest

Post by bfcwest » Fri May 17, 2019 5:17 pm

aggi wrote:If they wanted to appeal to a wider audience the first step would probably to sell the shirt somewhere other than the club shop (although plenty of the smaller clubs do the same as us, the conclusion must be that the extra profit generated outweighs the lost sales).

If you are not one of the really big clubs then you just won't get a shirt into mass market retail with "Love Bet" on it! That is my point. If we built the Burnley brand in conjunction with some more appealing sponsors that have recognition in the UK, then we might be able to sell shirts outside of Burnley.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32242 times
Has Liked: 5255 times

Post by ClaretTony » Fri May 17, 2019 5:18 pm

Murger wrote:The price of these shirts seems to be slowly creeping up. I wonder how much the new ones will go for?
They haven't actually crept up. They went up in one step last summer from £40 to I think £45.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri May 17, 2019 5:20 pm

bfcwest wrote:If you are not one of the really big clubs then you just won't get a shirt into mass market retail with "Love Bet" on it! That is my point. If we built the Burnley brand in conjunction with some more appealing sponsors that have recognition in the UK, then we might be able to sell shirts outside of Burnley.
Problem is, if you don't stick a far east betting company logo on the front then you are losing a hell of a lot of money. Personally, I hate seeing our shirt used like that, but there is no way the club will turn that sort of money down.

jollyjack
Been Liked: 107 times
Has Liked: 20 times

Post by jollyjack » Fri May 17, 2019 5:35 pm

Can you actually pay extra to get one without the sponsors logo? If so they're not as bad as some over the last decade. Over a certain age, collecting programmes and shirts becomes less attractive. Still have my 59/60 replica and the v-neck one with the Borough crest, all I need...

Sausage
Been Liked: 637 times
Has Liked: 441 times

Post by Sausage » Fri May 17, 2019 5:46 pm

There are some YouTube hacks for removing sponsor's logos from football shirts. Bit of a leap of faith to try it on a brand new shirt though. Might want to practice on a couple of old shirts first.

Local cricketer
Been Liked: 412 times
Has Liked: 87 times

Post by Local cricketer » Fri May 17, 2019 5:48 pm

Wonder if the people complaining about the sponsors would whinge if we was a million short for our main summer target

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Fri May 17, 2019 5:48 pm

I prefer the older retro looking shirts anyway. Not a chance I'd pay 50 quid for one of the modern shirts.

bfcwest

Post by bfcwest » Fri May 17, 2019 6:07 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Problem is, if you don't stick a far east betting company logo on the front then you are losing a hell of a lot of money. Personally, I hate seeing our shirt used like that, but there is no way the club will turn that sort of money down.
I understand why you and the club think that Tony. Taking the highest bidder, the biggest cheque, it seems obvious. It is also the easiest option as it requires very little ongoing effort from the commercial or marketing team. But I honestly believe that this approach will be to the detriment of the club in the long run. I feel the club are limiting Burnley FC by thinking so 'lowbrow' all the time. We are just restricting Burnley to only ever being a small town club who's local fan base is all it really appeals to. We need to breakout of that and sow the seeds for the next 50 years.

Burnley is a great story. Smallest place with a top flight team. English owned, English Manager, British players, great team ethic. Bulldog spirit. Something completely unique in the top flight. Add to this it is one of the original 12. It has great History. It is a lovely looking place (the setting, the hills). It is within an hour of over 5 million people. We should be associating with brands that strategically fit the Club’s core values and promote them by association whilst raising the credibility of BFC throughout the UK and beyond.

In so many ways Burnley is so marketable, and I don't think the Club are doing anywhere near enough to utilise and develop this.

A few million extra today is nothing when compared to what could be achieved in the long run by really investing in the clubs identity and reputation, and by working with some truly credible brands and not just fly by night on line gambling companies from China!
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Fri May 17, 2019 6:12 pm

bfcwest wrote:by working with some truly credible brands and not just fly by night on line gambling companies from China!
Examples?

bfcwest

Post by bfcwest » Fri May 17, 2019 6:33 pm

Spijed wrote:Examples?
It depends upon the approach the club wants to take. I think they would need an agency to come up with the strategy and then a list of targets that tick the objective box. But, assuming it is about promoting Burnley as being a historic and dependable British brand and us wanting to see association opportunities all around the world, then brands like:
Rolls-Royce (they are local too!!)
British Airways
Barclays
Land Rover
Barbour

But then maybe we should go for the Eco approach. Lead the way as the first top flight club to declare its commitment to helping to save the planet. Allow a big eco brand on the shirt for free. That would raise the profile and credibility of the club no end.
This user liked this post: WazzaClaret

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri May 17, 2019 6:36 pm

bfcwest wrote:I understand why you and the club think that Tony.
Me and the club don’t think anything. I was just saying that the shirt sponsorship money is considerable from these betting companies than you could dream of getting elsewhere.

Duffer_
Been Liked: 792 times
Has Liked: 1353 times

Post by Duffer_ » Fri May 17, 2019 6:50 pm

If we were to give the shirt sponsorship away for free then Prostate Cancer UK would be a good shout.

UTC!

bfcwest

Post by bfcwest » Fri May 17, 2019 6:56 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Me and the club don’t think anything. I was just saying that the shirt sponsorship money is considerable from these betting companies than you could dream of getting elsewhere.
Sorry Tony, I wasn't suggesting you and the club are 'as one', I was just saying that they clearly think that it is just 'all about the money' and I understood if you felt that was the obvious choice too. I personally think it would be better to receive less money from a sponsor if it meant we could help build the clubs reputation so we can broaden our appeal to fans and new players alike.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri May 17, 2019 7:45 pm

bfcwest wrote:Sorry Tony, I wasn't suggesting you and the club are 'as one', I was just saying that they clearly think that it is just 'all about the money' and I understood if you felt that was the obvious choice too. I personally think it would be better to receive less money from a sponsor if it meant we could help build the clubs reputation so we can broaden our appeal to fans and new players alike.
I don’t see how having a non betting sponsor would build a reputation or appeal to fans or players to be honest. Like it or not, and I don’t, it’s a business and one where the club will bring in what they can financially while they can.

The big clubs in this division don’t need betting sponsors but just look how many do.
This user liked this post: Tricky Trevor

bfccrazy
Been Liked: 2103 times
Has Liked: 416 times

Post by bfccrazy » Fri May 17, 2019 9:19 pm

ClaretTony wrote:I don’t see how having a non betting sponsor would build a reputation or appeal to fans or players to be honest. Like it or not, and I don’t, it’s a business and one where the club will bring in what they can financially while they can.

The big clubs in this division don’t need betting sponsors but just look how many do.
Unique shirts are big business now - If we had shirts that were really different and didn’t have that sort of logo on then I’m almost positive there would be a big demand for them from people outside of Burnley.

So many people are buying up old quirky shirts and only looking at the leaked shirts for next season with all the odd prints all over them show that some clubs are going for the “different” look already with different manufacturers having the same wackier styles.

ClaretAL
Been Liked: 1044 times
Has Liked: 815 times

Post by ClaretAL » Fri May 17, 2019 9:27 pm

I think a lot has to be said about the loop hole regarding our club not selling our shirt through your usual high street shops because that would mean they could only change the shirt every 2 years. Lets be honest our customer base is not the biggest globally so although i hate the logos in the last 2 years, if the club gain a massive dividend from the deal over what the shirt sales could/would be then why wouldn't they go for the best financial outcome.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri May 17, 2019 9:29 pm

ClaretAL wrote:I think a lot has to be said about the loop hole regarding our club not selling our shirt through your usual high street shops because that would mean they could only change the shirt every 2 years.
Is that really the case? Are the other Premier League clubs only changing every other year? I’d be amazed if they were.

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1780 times
Has Liked: 1777 times

Post by dougcollins » Fri May 17, 2019 9:33 pm

That's another shirt I wont be buying.

ClaretAL
Been Liked: 1044 times
Has Liked: 815 times

Post by ClaretAL » Fri May 17, 2019 9:48 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Is that really the case? Are the other Premier League clubs only changing every other year? I’d be amazed if they were.
From what i can see they alternate between home and away unless they get a sponsor change in which a complete rehash of all strips are delivered. But i do get your point as most clubs do a annual change. So hands up I may have it wrong but could have put my house on the fact about no selling outside club shop means they could change every year.

burnmark
Been Liked: 592 times
Has Liked: 469 times

Post by burnmark » Fri May 17, 2019 9:52 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Is that really the case? Are the other Premier League clubs only changing every other year? I’d be amazed if they were.
Every top club release three new kits per season and have done for some time. I was amazed that Andy Holt came out on Twitter this week to say that Accy were keeping their home kit for the third successive season. Understandably, many fans applauded him but commercially it doesn’t make sense. My kids have grown out of their Burnley kits by April and I wouldn’t fancy buying the same kit for another £40+. Also, with such a limited support they aren’t going to make much through retail without something new to buy each season.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri May 17, 2019 10:02 pm

burnmark wrote:Every top club release three new kits per season and have done for some time. I was amazed that Andy Holt came out on Twitter this week to say that Accy were keeping their home kit for the third successive season. Understandably, many fans applauded him but commercially it doesn’t make sense. My kids have grown out of their Burnley kits by April and I wouldn’t fancy buying the same kit for another £40+. Also, with such a limited support they aren’t going to make much through retail without something new to buy each season.
We’ve jumped onto this three kit bandwagon now. Had three in the season just finished and there are three next season.

Funkydrummer
Been Liked: 2949 times
Has Liked: 2063 times

Post by Funkydrummer » Fri May 17, 2019 10:16 pm

Stick "Bene" on the front and have done with it.

Maybe have "'n hot" on the back as an optional extra

:lol: :lol: :lol:

burnmark
Been Liked: 592 times
Has Liked: 469 times

Post by burnmark » Fri May 17, 2019 10:19 pm

ClaretTony wrote:We’ve jumped onto this three kit bandwagon now. Had three in the season just finished and there are three next season.
Not a new fad for us though - we had three kits most seasons in late 80s and 90s with Spall, Ellgren and Ribero albeit each having a two year cycle apart from the Ribero aways.

I honestly don’t mind the yearly change- my kids get the home kit when released for their birthdays then away when it gets reduced to half price or less.

Giftonsnoidea
Been Liked: 225 times
Has Liked: 248 times

Post by Giftonsnoidea » Fri May 17, 2019 10:31 pm

Adidas make the best kits, I wonder if we’ll ever have them again in future

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Fri May 17, 2019 10:32 pm

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:I remember the crowds almost doubled when we had Hollands Pies on the front and trebled when we stuck vodka on it
There wouldn't be a peep if we had Benedictine on the Front of our Shirts. :roll:

Corky
Been Liked: 535 times
Has Liked: 414 times

Post by Corky » Fri May 17, 2019 11:05 pm

Just get a marker pen and put Lynch under Love Bet and you're sorted.
These 2 users liked this post: Duffer_ longsidepies

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Fri May 17, 2019 11:07 pm

Giftonsnoidea wrote:Adidas make the best kits, I wonder if we’ll ever have them again in future
The Adidas kits we had in the 90s were poor quality

Burnleyareback2
Been Liked: 772 times
Has Liked: 1426 times

Post by Burnleyareback2 » Fri May 17, 2019 11:16 pm

History would tell us that once the annual shirt moaning season begins we are less than 7 days away from the season of the 50000 plastic seated stadium thread.

This being the season 8 days ahead of the where is the first signing season and very close to the signing players from abroad season.

We all know that takes us to the signing players we can’t afford season.

The last 3 seasons being covered by mass hysteria wondering why we aren't blowing cash all over the place and agreeing to fantasy player valuations.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

HunterST_BFC
Been Liked: 1402 times
Has Liked: 2687 times

Post by HunterST_BFC » Sat May 18, 2019 1:32 am

It's Umbro.
I kind of hope there will be some classic Retro Umbro merch' ...
Logo free.

That said... it won't happen... it takes sales from the betting branded plastic shirts.

I'd buy non logo older classics.

ArmchairDetective
Been Liked: 397 times
Has Liked: 367 times

Post by ArmchairDetective » Sat May 18, 2019 9:37 am

Sponsor aside I think it looks like a decent shirt.

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2439 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Sat May 18, 2019 3:17 pm

As long as it has the club crest on the left tit it is a Burnley shirt.
I understand the upset caused by betting/drinks companies sponsoring but be honest how many shirt sponsors can you name?
I would like the club to tell us how much they receive per season but as it’s business it won’t happen.
At least England hasn’t gone down the French route. They have so much sponsorship on their kit they look like cyclists.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sat May 18, 2019 3:27 pm

bfccrazy wrote:If we had shirts that were really different and didn’t have that sort of logo on then I’m almost positive there would be a big demand for them from people outside of Burnley.
What do you mean by 'Big' demand?

I simply can't imagine we could ever become a global brand.
This user liked this post: Bosscat

bfccrazy
Been Liked: 2103 times
Has Liked: 416 times

Post by bfccrazy » Sat May 18, 2019 3:47 pm

Spijed wrote:What do you mean by 'Big' demand?

I simply can't imagine we could ever become a global brand.
The same way that there are football tourists. There is a whole new subculture around buying unique shirts.

With the ease of being able to follow a team from half way around the world as easy as your local side nowadays - I think less people have the “I support this one club and nobody else” mentality .... there are far more just “I support football” types who will be on the look out for unique shirts whether they be ours or a funky looking Barney shirt.

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8429 times
Has Liked: 18098 times

Post by Bosscat » Sat May 18, 2019 5:27 pm

At the start of 2018/19 season there was over 50% of the teams sponsored by gambling firms....

Teams sponsored by gambling firms 2018 season

9 x Premier League clubs = 45%

Bournemouth – Mansion 88

Burnley – LaBa 360

Crystal Palace – ManBetX

Everton – SportPesa

Fulham – Dafabet

Huddersfield – OPE

Newcastle United – Fun88

West Ham – Betway

Wolves – W88

14 x Championship clubs = 58%

Aston Villa – 32Red

Blackburn – 10Bet

Birmingham City – 888sport

Brentford – LeoVegas

Bristol City – Dunder

Bolton – Betfred

Derby County – 32Red

Ipswich – Magical Vegas

Hull City – SportPesa

Leeds United – 32Red

Middlesbrough – 32Red

Norwich – LeoVegas

Nottingham Forest – BetBright

Preston – 32Red

QPR – Royal Panda

Stoke City – bet365

Swansea – BETUK.com

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Sat May 18, 2019 5:48 pm

Not massively a fan of betting companies but it’s where the money is. Some more thought over the design would be better. Perhaps if the Chinese betting companies are so keen they could help with shirt distribution in the Far East. As said above just selling them just via the club shop is a bit small time. Build the brand whilst we can.

andyh
Been Liked: 483 times
Has Liked: 102 times

Post by andyh » Sat May 18, 2019 5:50 pm

I would love us to take an alternative approach. Look at the club as a global brand. Look at what would make us stand out. We are very distinctive in how we play. Look at the image of the blue collar teams across the globe. I thought the black away kit was good. We are not like the fake glitz of the top 6. Our branding should scream authentic. Our sponsor should match. Not yet another betting company. So what we don’t need the short term money. If we could find the right brand we should go with that regardless. Look at how people make money... it is not by following the crowd. Build our brand and there will be loads of commercial opportunities.

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1747 times
Has Liked: 345 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Sat May 18, 2019 6:32 pm

Goes to show where the money is, remember when most Premier League clubs where sponsors by computer and tech companies

Sharp, Candy, HP, JVC, AST, Compaq, Commadore and TDK

Then it was Breweries and Holiday Companies and now its Betting Companies.

While typing this I found this article

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/20 ... ial-world/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Barry_Chuckle
Been Liked: 586 times
Has Liked: 203 times

Post by Barry_Chuckle » Sat May 18, 2019 6:59 pm

bfccrazy wrote: I’m almost positive there would be a big demand for them from people outside of Burnley.
No chance, we are that tinpot with our retail mentality, that you can't even buy one from anywhere outside the town. Crazy business model for a Premier League club with a global audience.