Rottweilers

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
JimMcDonald
Been Liked: 64 times
Has Liked: 23 times

Rottweilers

Post by JimMcDonald » Tue May 21, 2019 9:13 am

Anybody got one ? Thinking of getting one and would like some advice. They are beautiful dogs that seem to have a bad name. What are they like for walks as I know they grow very big. Also I presume they eat a mammoth amount of food ?

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Re: Rottweilers

Post by FactualFrank » Tue May 21, 2019 9:16 am

One of my friends had one and she was a big softy. A shame they don't live very long - I think she died of 'old age' and was only 9.

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Tue May 21, 2019 9:27 am

Is it your favourite type of dog and why ?

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5202 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Tue May 21, 2019 9:49 am

My aunty who i used to live with has just got her 5th one spanning last 35 years so has 2 at moment.

All of them have been brilliant dogs very soft and freindly but protective at same time.

Some grew up with her kids from babies and were very safe and gentle

I used to walk the one she had when i lived with her and it was easy to train to follow orders but in a park you could give them a real good run out

If i got a dog it would be a rotty so as long as youre gonna bring it up right which im sure you are id say go for it

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8429 times
Has Liked: 18098 times

Post by Bosscat » Tue May 21, 2019 10:19 am

Rotties like Dobermans get a very bad press...
We had Dobermans back in the day and they were all softies my brother has had a couple of Rotties and likewise.... yes they are a short lived breed at around 9+ years but if brought up right they are very faithful loving pets....
We used to have a frosted glass front door and if anyone knocked the Dobie used to bark and growl like a guard dog and when the door was opened she welcomed them in like an old friend .... but the sight of a black and tan dog face growling and barking onthe otherside of the door would discourage unwanted visitors...

Tbh there are no bad dogs..... JUST badly brought up dogs and BAD OWNERS

A lot of dogs can be greedy ... but if you feed them right and give them plenty of exercise they will be fit as the proverbial and not get fat.
Last edited by Bosscat on Tue May 21, 2019 10:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

Dyched
Been Liked: 1921 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Tue May 21, 2019 10:20 am

Grizzly bears are safer imo

bobinho
Been Liked: 4070 times
Has Liked: 6538 times

Post by bobinho » Tue May 21, 2019 10:42 am

Dyched wrote:Grizzly bears are safer imo
Your opinion is quite wrong. Find another one after you have done some research and can speak with some degree of knowledge and expertise... grizzly bears are LETHAL. Rottweilers CAN be without doubt, but grizzly bears are an apex predator and cannot be tamed/trained like a dog.
Last edited by bobinho on Tue May 21, 2019 1:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4161 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Tue May 21, 2019 10:46 am

We have 2 and they are brilliant, although it would be nice if one of the boys wasn't scared of squirrels and would brave the garden on sunny days
This user liked this post: lesxdp

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Tue May 21, 2019 10:49 am

Don't worry about a breed's reputation. Any dog is only as good or as bad as it's owner. We have a Staffy, who many people claim are dangerous. Yes they are powerful dogs with very strong jaws and heads like stone, with an ability to jump very high, but Charlie is just a huge softie who loves playing with the grandkids and they ride on his back and wrestle with him. He loves all the attention and loves human company. I have never seen him fight another dog (although they are brave and will stand their ground if attacked). The nearest I have ever seen to violence from him is if someone starts play-fighting he will gently grab the attackers arm and pull it away without biting or hurting. Just a totally gentle soul. The kennel club apparently have them as one of only two breeds they would totally trust with kids.

I am told that Rottweilers are similar and are only violent if trained to be (like any dog really).

PS: I think poodles are nasty, viscious little bar stewards (but I'm probably totally wrong). ;)

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8429 times
Has Liked: 18098 times

Post by Bosscat » Tue May 21, 2019 11:13 am

Next door has 2 absolutely evil little Yorkies.... noisy little yappy buggers

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1148 times
Has Liked: 180 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Tue May 21, 2019 11:14 am

Be prepared to pick up a LOT of sh1t
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Tue May 21, 2019 11:30 am

AlargeClaret wrote:Be prepared to pick up a LOT of sh1t
My mate decided it was better to get the lawnmower out and mow his lawn instead - sh1t used to fly bloody everywhere!

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Tue May 21, 2019 12:48 pm

How come we never hear about Retrievers or West Highland Terriers attacking people and children ? If it’s about the owners are they a better breed of owner ? Some breeds of dog are clearly more likely to attack but I appreciate it doesn’t help when chavs don’t look after them properly.

whiffa
Been Liked: 504 times
Has Liked: 2561 times

Post by whiffa » Tue May 21, 2019 12:54 pm

Blackrod wrote:How come we never hear about Retrievers or West Highland Terriers attacking people and children ? If it’s about the owners are they a better breed of owner ? Some breeds of dog are clearly more likely to attack but I appreciate it doesn’t help when chavs don’t look after them properly.
I've been nipped and nibbled by as many Terriers and Retrievers as I have Rots/Dobermans - possibly because the bite hurts a little more it's reported more?

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1754 times
Has Liked: 469 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Tue May 21, 2019 1:18 pm

houseboy wrote:Don't worry about a breed's reputation. Any dog is only as good or as bad as it's owner. We have a Staffy, who many people claim are dangerous. Yes they are powerful dogs with very strong jaws and heads like stone, with an ability to jump very high, but Charlie is just a huge softie who loves playing with the grandkids and they ride on his back and wrestle with him. He loves all the attention and loves human company. I have never seen him fight another dog (although they are brave and will stand their ground if attacked). The nearest I have ever seen to violence from him is if someone starts play-fighting he will gently grab the attackers arm and pull it away without biting or hurting. Just a totally gentle soul. The kennel club apparently have them as one of only two breeds they would totally trust with kids.

I am told that Rottweilers are similar and are only violent if trained to be (like any dog really).

PS: I think poodles are nasty, viscious little bar stewards (but I'm probably totally wrong). ;)
We have a Staffy, had him for 9 years, more or less from birth. I have 2 children who were 4 and 6 when we got him. Never for one minute have I had any concerns having him around the kids or any of their friends. The only thing he wants is for someone to throw his tennis ball so he can fetch it. Relentlessly. For hours on end.

As people have said, it is bad owners who give dogs a reputation - Staffies came about because the ban on Pit Bulls, and as they have a similar look you got certain types who would have one as a status. You look at nearly all the dog attacks that take place and it will invariably involve a dog that was bought as a status dog, and then left alone with young kids. Mine used to bounce on the trampoline with our kids and their friends and as I said chase his ball etc. He is terrified of the neighbour's cat who sometimes comes into our garden - I try and hose it to stop it using my garden as a litter tray, the dog is so soft, he steers clear of it.

On the original topic, I know a few people who have had Rottys and they have all been big soft lumps. I would guess they would take some feeding, some cleaning up after and as said, they have a relatively short life span.

Lord Beamish
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Tue May 21, 2019 1:36 pm

Having kids in the house, there’s no way I’d have a Staffy, or a Rotty as a pet. The same for Mastiff type breeds, too. Their owners all say just how gentle they are, but I wouldn’t want to have to pull one of the buggers of my child if it ever turned.
I’ve no problem with anyone else having them. They are beautiful animal and people should be allowed to assess their own risks.

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2887 times
Has Liked: 1760 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Tue May 21, 2019 1:53 pm

that's a fair point beamish, my mate has a rotty and whilst its fine seemingly around everyone and placid, you cant underestimate the risk.
I have a doberman, and again it is a great friendly dog, but I never drop my guard if we have youngsters round from the family.
Even though there may be some truth in how well they behave if they have looked after properly, they are unpredictable potentially, and not animals you can just swat aside with a rolled up newspaper.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Tue May 21, 2019 3:06 pm

Lord Beamish wrote:Having kids in the house, there’s no way I’d have a Staffy, or a Rotty as a pet. The same for Mastiff type breeds, too. Their owners all say just how gentle they are, but I wouldn’t want to have to pull one of the buggers of my child if it ever turned.
I’ve no problem with anyone else having them. They are beautiful animal and people should be allowed to assess their own risks.
That's a sensible attitude mate WITH ALL DOGS. I trust ours absolutely but never would be daft enough to leave him alone with kids because, as I said, if attacked they will fight back and you never know what a young child would do. Having said that my youngest grandaughter, who is a bit of a beasty at times, has been known to bite his ear and he has just yelped and ran off. They also make rubbish guard dogs. I realise the power in him though and I have often thought, when play fighting with him, which he loves, that if he ever got 'serious' there would only be one winner.

The thing is though he has never been subject to violence or violent actions, he has been brought up with cats (who always win an argument) and he is as gentle a beast as you could imagine. He is also a handsome fellow who attracts a lot of attention when we are out. I'm amazed at how people who have owned or do own Staffys can't help but make a fuss of him, I think once you have had one they are kind of addictive.

Simple rule with all dogs - don't train them to be violent and keep an eye out around children and you won't go far wrong.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Tue May 21, 2019 3:29 pm

Blackrod wrote:How come we never hear about Retrievers or West Highland Terriers attacking people and children ? If it’s about the owners are they a better breed of owner ? Some breeds of dog are clearly more likely to attack but I appreciate it doesn’t help when chavs don’t look after them properly.
I think you might find that labrador retreivers cause more injury to humans than any other dog. Not particularly because of violence but because they are very active and clumsy (and big). At least last I checked that was the case. A fairly recent survey in America in fact showed that labrador retrievers where responsible for more attacks on humans than any other breed (over 13% as opposed to, for instance, pit bulls at just over 8%. Of course that has to be viewed in the perspective of numbers owned but it definitely rules out the idea that they are in some way harmless. As for the 'violent' dogs again you are talking about people wanting them to be and training them accordingly. Labradors and retrievers don't look violent and carry no 'kudos' among the d!ckhead fraternity and so are not bought for that reason. If someone trained a lab to be violent I wouldn't want to be on the wrong side of it.
Just for info the list of top 5 human attacking dogs in the US is:

Labrador retrievers: 13.3%
Pit Bulls: 8.4%
German Shepherds: 7.8%
Rottweilers: 3.9%
Chows: 3.5%

By the way, West Highland terriers are particularly bad tempered but lack the power and size to be very harmful, as is the same with Jack Russels (we had one and she was pretty good - she was a half breed and bigger than most JRs). JRs are one of the most violent dogs around but cannot really harm humans because of their size. They are natural killers as hunting dogs and have to be well looked after but won't be violent if trained.