Nelson

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
karatekid
Been Liked: 1103 times
Has Liked: 316 times

Nelson

Post by karatekid » Tue May 28, 2019 11:13 am

Warning. Positive thread. ;)

Drove through Nelson this morning and noticed that the bridge connecting the multi storey to the arndale has been taken down. Lots of heavy demolition machinery around the old bus station in preparation for bringing down the car park.
Building a McDonald's drive thru in its place apparently.

Nelson has been through a very tough time over the last few decades as have many other small northern towns due to lack of investment. Let's hope it will start to turn the corner with this new development and start to attract some new businesses to the town and surrounding area.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5516 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Re: Nelson

Post by TheFamilyCat » Tue May 28, 2019 11:19 am

Sorry to bring negativity to your positive thread but I suspect the only impact a drive through McD’s will have is an increase of littering.

That multi-storey has been an eyesore for many a year though.
These 3 users liked this post: Bosscat Jel sanderson370

Hendrickxz
Been Liked: 200 times
Has Liked: 44 times

Post by Hendrickxz » Tue May 28, 2019 11:34 am

Also the scene of several tragic suicides and suicide attempts. Good riddance to the monstrosity, but I can't help thinking ANOTHER McDonald's isn't much of a step forward. I am sick of seeing carriers and cartons from McD's just chucked in the road and verges after the purchasers have scoffed down their dubious contents. They leap on every new "eco" and diet fad saying they are doing their bit for the environment and healthier eating, but it doesn't stop our towns and contryside being littered with their crap packaging. Grrrr
These 3 users liked this post: Bosscat The Enclosure Jel

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1745 times
Has Liked: 344 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Tue May 28, 2019 11:34 am

TheFamilyCat wrote:Sorry to bring negativity to your positive thread but I suspect the only impact a drive through McD’s will have is an increase of littering.
People said the same about the new McDonalds in Rawtenstall. Littering isn't really a problem, in fact is common to see McDonalds staff picking litter up away from the restaurant, in town. The biggest issue is that on a couple of occasions, youths have been scrapping.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Tue May 28, 2019 11:34 am

A maccies drive through is seen as a positive?

I don't go to Nelson unless its absolutely necessary, and I'm sure there's nice parts, but the town centre and many of the surrounding areas looks an absolute dump when I drive through.

Shame really.

karatekid

Post by karatekid » Tue May 28, 2019 11:36 am

Quite a lot of the units in the arndale centre (pendle rise) are empty and this should be addressed by the owners. Not sure what the problem is but I suspect it is linked to the rates being charged for them. Costa coffee have recently opened up in there so it can attract bigger names. They need to continue this trend to pull Nelson town centre out of the mire.

turfytopper
Been Liked: 408 times
Has Liked: 3421 times

Post by turfytopper » Tue May 28, 2019 11:38 am

Nelson needs a drive through McDonald's ?

Sad (depressing) that the town has sunk so low it can't attract the investment that would make it more of an attraction for further investment (if you get my drift?)

I was born there... Left in 1981. Will always be home.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

karatekid

Post by karatekid » Tue May 28, 2019 11:40 am

MACCA wrote:A maccies drive through is seen as a positive?

I don't go to Nelson unless its absolutely necessary, and I'm sure there's nice parts, but the town centre and many of the surrounding areas looks an absolute dump when I drive through.

Shame really.
The drive thru has to seen as a positive. What is the alternative? Pull down the car park and put another poundshop there. Nelson has many problems but lets not start knocking them down when they are trying to get up back on there feet again.
Parts of the town are a dump, just the same as any other northern town. Austerity and years of under funding are to blame. Nelson is not alone in this.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Tue May 28, 2019 11:44 am

karatekid wrote:The drive thru has to seen as a positive. What is the alternative? Pull down the car park and put another poundshop there. Nelson has many problems but lets not start knocking them down when they are trying to get up back on there feet again.
Parts of the town are a dump, just the same as any other northern town. Austerity and years of under funding are to blame. Nelson is not alone in this.

Not been there in a while, but suppose it might have fallen on even more harder times if maccies is being touted as the start of the rise.

I hope all local towns do well, but with even Burnley struggling it's going to be even worse for the smaller towns around it.

Who knows what the answer is.

But Burnley would take a further step back should the football team ever drop a division or 2.
Its imperative the club stays in the premier league, for the town as a whole.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Tue May 28, 2019 11:52 am

When this Brexit shitshow is over (for better or for worse), the government needs to have an urgent look at regeneration in towns, and especially the ones in areas where the lack of investment has been criminal for decades.

It won't like, but its the sort of thing that would stop the hassles we are having at the moment.
This user liked this post: Hendrickxz

theroyaldyche
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 245 times

Post by theroyaldyche » Tue May 28, 2019 11:57 am

Nelson is a **** hole

When maccys is built itl still be a **** hole

Damo
Been Liked: 1777 times
Has Liked: 2761 times

Post by Damo » Tue May 28, 2019 12:20 pm

It's easy to slate McDonalds, but they create good employment for students, people with disabilities etc.
The food is shyte but you are welcome to do what I do and not eat it..its definitely a Much needed boost in my opinion

Loyalclaret
Been Liked: 426 times
Has Liked: 364 times

Post by Loyalclaret » Tue May 28, 2019 12:36 pm

A building that should have been demolished a long time ago is finally going - good. Not clear who is paying for it but if the new McDonalds help then great. They employ many people from different social groups, as mentioned from students to management.

This is investment in a town that needs it, probably would have been more welcomed if it was Booths by some who will not recognise the positive side of this story. I doubt I will use it regularly but happy it is happening.

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1754 times
Has Liked: 468 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Tue May 28, 2019 12:36 pm

Another takeaway for Nelson then. Though I would suspect the turnover at this one will be from the sale of fast food......

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2887 times
Has Liked: 1760 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Tue May 28, 2019 12:41 pm

Hendrickxz wrote:Also the scene of several tragic suicides and suicide attempts. Good riddance to the monstrosity, but I can't help thinking ANOTHER McDonald's isn't much of a step forward. I am sick of seeing carriers and cartons from McD's just chucked in the road and verges after the purchasers have scoffed down their dubious contents. They leap on every new "eco" and diet fad saying they are doing their bit for the environment and healthier eating, but it doesn't stop our towns and contryside being littered with their crap packaging. Grrrr
McDonalds have snazzy TV ads, but the reality in a lot of their places is very different. slob customers who eat the stuff and lob the packaging straight on the ground from the car windows. Nelson will be exactly the same and a gathering point for noisy yobs.

GordonvaleClaret
Been Liked: 49 times
Has Liked: 13 times

Post by GordonvaleClaret » Tue May 28, 2019 12:43 pm

Prior to being renamed Gordonvale in 1913, the town was called Nelson. I was born in Nelson.

Local cricketer
Been Liked: 412 times
Has Liked: 87 times

Post by Local cricketer » Tue May 28, 2019 12:47 pm

Cannot see maccies helping Nelson become European capital off culture. To much damage already done

dsr
Been Liked: 4548 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Tue May 28, 2019 12:54 pm

GordonvaleClaret wrote:Prior to being renamed Gordonvale in 1913, the town was called Nelson. I was born in Nelson.
And it's so rare to see people of 106 and older who fully embrace the internet - well done! ;)
These 2 users liked this post: tim_noone Greenmile

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Tue May 28, 2019 3:05 pm

So a dump of a derilict bus station, thats had plenty of issues is being bulldozed and replaced with a well known, succesful business and its a bad thing?

McDonalds will bring plenty of jobs to the town. And maybe even customers. Lomeshaye as an example employs thousands. Many of whom may now head to nelson regular purely because mcdonalds is there.
This user liked this post: karatekid

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Tue May 28, 2019 3:13 pm

Why has it got so run down ?

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Tue May 28, 2019 3:14 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:So a dump of a derilict bus station, thats had plenty of issues is being bulldozed and replaced with a well known, succesful business and its a bad thing?

McDonalds will bring plenty of jobs to the town. And maybe even customers. Lomeshaye as an example employs thousands. Many of whom may now head to nelson regular purely because mcdonalds is there.
I've yet to see a Dirty Mc Donald's a good employer for all....Rubbish thrown from Cars is Disgusting full stop.

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Tue May 28, 2019 3:15 pm

Blackrod wrote:Why has it got so run down ?
The council??

karatekid

Post by karatekid » Tue May 28, 2019 4:42 pm

I suppose the buck has to stop at central government. It has ignored small northern towns like Nelson and has instead invested heavily in everything south of Watford so to speak. Nothing seems to exist outside of the south east.
What we need is a PM born and bred in the North who has lived in these communities and understands the issues.

expoultryboy
Been Liked: 334 times
Has Liked: 451 times

Post by expoultryboy » Tue May 28, 2019 5:40 pm

In the early 70s i used to catch the bus from Reedley to Nelson to go to the baths ( via jack brays for a game of magnetic football ) . The bus station used to be a busy place with a thriving cafe . There used to be a ciu club on the second floor that was popular but i can't remember the name of it .

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 700 times

Post by mdd2 » Tue May 28, 2019 5:46 pm

karatekid wrote:I suppose the buck has to stop at central government. It has ignored small northern towns like Nelson and has instead invested heavily in everything south of Watford so to speak. Nothing seems to exist outside of the south east.
What we need is a PM born and bred in the North who has lived in these communities and understands the issues.
Darling Harold didn't do that much in the North apart from the Humber road bridge taking traffic from nowhere to nowhere, oh and a spanking new hospital in Newcastle (the Freeman) both in areas of key labour marginals although it took about 5 years to get the Hospital built by which time I think Heath was in power.
The colours are different but the methods are pretty similar

Stayingup
Been Liked: 914 times
Has Liked: 2726 times

Post by Stayingup » Tue May 28, 2019 7:45 pm

Good question. Maybe a loaded one but a good one nonetheless. It was the fastest growing town in England in the early 1900's and has well designed streets. A very important weaving town. Some still exists. But now its not so pretty is it. Low wage jobs.

Stayingup

Post by Stayingup » Tue May 28, 2019 7:48 pm

mdd2 wrote:Darling Harold didn't do that much in the North apart from the Humber road bridge taking traffic from nowhere to nowhere, oh and a spanking new hospital in Newcastle (the Freeman) both in areas of key labour marginals although it took about 5 years to get the Hospital built by which time I think Heath was in power.
The colours are different but the methods are pretty similar
Northern Powerhouse. Really? No. Not much investment in the north, because its not part of London.

TheFamilyCat

Post by TheFamilyCat » Tue May 28, 2019 8:14 pm

expoultryboy wrote:In the early 70s i used to catch the bus from Reedley to Nelson to go to the baths ( via jack brays for a game of magnetic football ) . The bus station used to be a busy place with a thriving cafe . There used to be a ciu club on the second floor that was popular but i can't remember the name of it .
The CIU was the Netherfield club I think. I remember it was open early before the 2000 game at Ewood. A fair number of well oiled chaps stumbled out and onto the buses.

rufus lumley
Been Liked: 225 times
Has Liked: 7 times

Post by rufus lumley » Tue May 28, 2019 8:16 pm

Last time we played brum away I was walking pass the McDonalds next to the ground.Two lads in a car threw all the paper and cartons from the meal they had just eaten onto the car park and drove off.
Two coppers on the car park watched this happen and did nothing I said to them that's a pretty discusting thing to do and they said your not from around here are you !.

karatekid

Post by karatekid » Tue May 28, 2019 8:22 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:The CIU was the Netherfield club I think. I remember it was open early before the 2000 game at Ewood. A fair number of well oiled chaps stumbled out and onto the buses.
There is still some advertising signs in the window of the club. I think they are:

Pint of mild £1

Double vodka and mixer 80p

;)

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2097 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Tue May 28, 2019 8:26 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:The CIU was the Netherfield club I think. I remember it was open early before the 2000 game at Ewood. A fair number of well oiled chaps stumbled out and onto the buses.
When I was at Nelson and Colne college we occasionally went to the Netherfield for a pint for some reason. We must have been young and naive, seem to recall it was pretty grim!

TheFamilyCat

Post by TheFamilyCat » Tue May 28, 2019 8:27 pm

karatekid wrote:There is still some advertising signs in the window of the club. I think they are:

Pint of mild £1

Double vodka and mixer 80p

;)
I’m surprised there isn’t a queue round the block to get in.

Nonayforever
Been Liked: 690 times
Has Liked: 172 times

Post by Nonayforever » Tue May 28, 2019 8:42 pm

McDonald's will certainly be an improvement on the present bus station and is most welcome, however one of the major problems that Nelson has is the flow ( or lack of ) of through traffic.
The problem is certainly exacabated around that area at peak times.
Unfortunately, the problem has been apparent for years but no answers have been forthcoming or even wanted.

Stalbansclaret
Been Liked: 1658 times
Has Liked: 2963 times

Post by Stalbansclaret » Tue May 28, 2019 8:57 pm

It's all too easy to knock Nelson but we should welcome any upgrading of it's environment I think. There are some great independent shops down Scotland Road .....Schofield's butchers, Dewhursts decorating supplies, Holts chippy, Oddies etc.....and this is the kind of business which can really help boost a small town, as similar shops do in Colne. Wilkinson Hi Fi on Manchester Road is another great Nelson independent.Good to see Costa open in the town centre a while back and, as has been comments on on here we need Government to get past the ridiculous Brexit distraction and start to find ways to support towns like Nelson.
There was an article in the New Statesman last year (I think someone flagged it on here) which cited Nelson as a good example of "bi-culturalism"...where the white British and Asian British communities lived separately but side-by-side. I guess part of improving the town is somehow getting past the archaic racial stereotypes and making this a strength and encouraging mutual respect. I do my bit by buying samosas at Mansha Sweet Centre when I'm in town !!!
These 2 users liked this post: cricketfieldclarets The Hung Juror

Longsider
Been Liked: 761 times
Has Liked: 722 times

Post by Longsider » Tue May 28, 2019 9:01 pm

Mate of mine was driving past the multistorey years ago when someone tragically chucked themselves off the top. Landed in the road near his car. Awful. Glad it's being ripped down.

Loyalclaret
Been Liked: 426 times
Has Liked: 364 times

Post by Loyalclaret » Tue May 28, 2019 9:26 pm

I went on a few trips from said club - some characters and an eye opener for a young lad :D

conyoviejo
Been Liked: 2491 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Post by conyoviejo » Tue May 28, 2019 9:51 pm

Loyalclaret wrote:I went on a few trips from said club - some characters and an eye opener for a young lad :D
In its heyday,Nelson was a great place to live and grow up,I'm sure BOT will agree with me,with plenty of good pubs the Bull,Clayton,etc.and even better Working mens clubs.. What a shame it's gone downhill from the eighties onwards.. I can't seem to put my finger on what caused the problem for Nelsons decline.. ;)
This user liked this post: Rumpelstiltskin

Jel
Been Liked: 261 times
Has Liked: 1169 times

Post by Jel » Tue May 28, 2019 9:59 pm

I wonder where the car parking capacity will be taken up?
If I need to be in Nelson, especially if it's chucking it down, I use the multi storey.

Jel
Been Liked: 261 times
Has Liked: 1169 times

Post by Jel » Tue May 28, 2019 10:00 pm

conyoviejo wrote:In its heyday,Nelson was a great place to live and grow up,I'm sure BOT will agree with me,with plenty of good pubs the Bull,Clayton,etc.and even better Working mens clubs.. What a shame it's gone downhill from the eighties onwards.. I can't seem to put my finger on what caused the problem for Nelsons decline.. ;)
Not having a McDonald's?
These 2 users liked this post: tim_noone cricketfieldclarets

Stayingup

Post by Stayingup » Tue May 28, 2019 10:11 pm

Harking back to the past there is still a Warpdressers club.
This user liked this post: Rumpelstiltskin

conyoviejo

Post by conyoviejo » Tue May 28, 2019 10:14 pm

Jel wrote:I wonder where the car parking capacity will be taken up?
If I need to be in Nelson, especially if it's chucking it down, I use the multi storey.
Nobody visits Nelson,unless they need to.. Plenty of free parking on Home Bargains at side of the goit .. :D

conyoviejo

Post by conyoviejo » Tue May 28, 2019 10:15 pm

Stayingup wrote:Harking back to the past there is still a Warpdressers club.
Yes there is . 8-)

tim_noone

Post by tim_noone » Tue May 28, 2019 10:17 pm

conyoviejo wrote:Nobody visits Nelson,unless they need to.. Plenty of free parking on Home Bargains at side of the goit .. :D
?? I don't visit anywhere unless I need to... :?
This user liked this post: Jel

conyoviejo

Post by conyoviejo » Tue May 28, 2019 10:22 pm

tim_noone wrote:?? I don't visit anywhere unless I need to... :?
Yes,and don't you have to visit the same place twice go back and apologise ? :D

AfloatinClaret
Been Liked: 559 times
Has Liked: 1392 times

Post by AfloatinClaret » Tue May 28, 2019 11:42 pm

GordonvaleClaret wrote:Prior to being renamed Gordonvale in 1913, the town was called Nelson...
I once stopped there, though only long enough to fix a puncture on the motorbike, so that's three Nelson's that I've been to.

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5154 times
Has Liked: 795 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Wed May 29, 2019 12:54 am

The weekly Friday pyjama party is a must see. As are the Romanian outside bars in the town (off licences).

Not that we can blame all Nelson's ills on mass immigration.

A breakdown of family life and values, drugs and no identity are causes as well.

A work acquaintance 20 years ago was asked, what is Nelson like, by someone who had never been there. His reply was, it's full of P***s and dog sh!t.
Quite un PC, but he's still not wrong now.

Cheers to StAlbans for doing his bit by buying a Samosa. I can see the town integrating just fine if we all buy one.

Stalbansclaret
Been Liked: 1658 times
Has Liked: 2963 times

Post by Stalbansclaret » Wed May 29, 2019 5:39 am

Hopefully you did realise I was ending my post with a relatively light-hearted comment, though thinking about it if people like your mate did go in there and buy a samosa it actually might be a small first step in getting away from the racial dislike (I’ll avoid saying hatred) that does the area no favours. That issue is a huge one and will hopefully slowly continue to improve with passage of time.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2272 times
Has Liked: 2153 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Wed May 29, 2019 6:56 am

In all honesty I’ve only been to Nelson for the swimming baths as a kid then on my driving lessons 10 years ago, I’d have no reason to go there but that’s no different to a lot of local towns, If we are talking shopping Burnley is pathetic as well.

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1468 times
Has Liked: 1839 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Wed May 29, 2019 7:02 am

Pendle councillors who have put self importance before the needs of then people who live there is the root of the problem
We have had 3 houses in Nelson and still own one near Marsden Park
The local councillors came up with an insane plan to build a marina near StMarys area.
A London based design team was paid over £300,000 to create a design drawing for public comment.
The idea was to demolish lots of older houses to create the space then make water flow uphill to create the marina basin.
The council set up a regeneration unit.I asked why the houses boarded up for 20 odd years have not been modernised and leased to tennants and was told there was no demand. Lots of government cash has arrived and been wasted in mad schemes that benefitted no one
The apathy at local authority level is a disgrace

Jeremy_Bentham
Been Liked: 194 times
Has Liked: 78 times

Post by Jeremy_Bentham » Wed May 29, 2019 7:23 am

. awaits a big merger between the local Council’s. He believes more and more services are being passed on to Town Council’s in preparation of the Pendle/ Burnley/ Hyndburn/ Rossendale merger that will eventually happen.
This user liked this post: Pstotto