Stan

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Rowls
Been Liked: 5065 times
Has Liked: 5124 times

Stan

Post by Rowls » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:36 pm

Just seen a tweet from the TurfCast twitter account.

On this day in 1998 Stan Ternent was appointed Burnley manager.

Let's put our memories of Stan on this thread and show some appreciation for the monumental strides we took forward under his reign.

Obviously it was never perfect but without Stan drilling us back into a professional outfit we would never be where we are now. We might never even have escaped the lower leagues, not properly at any rate. When he took over we were staring the fourth division full on in the face.

So what's your favourite or most significant memory of Stan?

For me, it has to be that press conference after York:

"The following players will never play for Burnley Football Club again...." It set the level of what was expected and required. You had to be good enough to play for Burnley Football Club.

Stan dragged us up kicking and screaming.

Thank you, Stan.

Claretmatt4
Been Liked: 1049 times
Has Liked: 723 times

Re: Stan

Post by Claretmatt4 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:45 pm

First manager I remember, gave us the boot up the arse we needed.

Rowls

Post by Rowls » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:51 pm

This was a great day:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSULlR-E-hA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

We've never looked back from this one. :)
These 2 users liked this post: Goodclaret morpheus2

Local cricketer
Been Liked: 412 times
Has Liked: 87 times

Post by Local cricketer » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:52 pm

That night at Grimsby

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8426 times
Has Liked: 18095 times

Post by Bosscat » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:00 pm

Scunthorpe when we went up from the 3rd tier... stood on the pitch with 2000 other Clarets when Stan and Ian Wright (Wright Wright) came out onto the stand to cheer us as we cheered them....

But must admit .. as someone pointed out above ... that radio Lancashire interview when he publicly sacked 2 or 3 players...

It's not personal, it's business. Steve Blatherwick, Lee Howey, Mark Winstanley and to a lesser degree Michael Williams, (because he will never win the crowd over) will not play for Burnley Football Club again.

"They are not right for Burnley and they are not coming from where I am coming from.

"They are on the transfer list. They can go on a free transfer. I want them out of the place. They are no good to me."

That was a memorable drive back to the Maypole Inn from Turf Moor....
These 2 users liked this post: Rowls boatshed bill

Rowls

Post by Rowls » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:05 pm

Local cricketer wrote:That night at Grimsby
Well, it's as much a part of his tenure as Watford (4-7), Sheff Weds (2-7), Preston (5-3), Man City (6-0), Gillingham (5-0) and even Ipswich (6-1).

But also let's not forget the promotion, the wins and the big turnaround.

We were a 4th division team in the 3rd tier when he took over and we were in the Championship when he went.

He achieved a few minor miracles, not least keeping us in the Championship when there wasn't a pit to poss in.
This user liked this post: boatshed bill

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4044 times
Has Liked: 1846 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:08 pm

Certainly the day at Scunny stands out.
I'd forgotten about those public sackings, he certainly
took the bull by the horns there.

Deserves some kind of recognition, he's had an awful last couple of years.
This user liked this post: Rowls

NL Claret
Been Liked: 515 times
Has Liked: 209 times

Post by NL Claret » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:28 pm

Another couple of classic Stan interviews were after the 1-0 defeat to Barnsley away on Boxing Day when we'd had too much plum duff and when he subbed Glen Little 5 minutes after bringing him on.

The interview when he described Robbie Blake as playing in divers boots.

Enjoyed the Stan years in particular his interview technique, ask him a stupid question he gave a stupid answer. My mate worked for the bury times and said he was a nightmare to deal with especially if he hadn't a few brews and fags in the morning.

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2488 times
Has Liked: 760 times

Post by ksrclaret » Sun Jun 02, 2019 2:43 pm

The ITV Digital collapse. Starting his last season with Arthur Ghohere and Graham Branch at centre back. He did end up bringing in some actual experience with David May on a free, and then Andy Todd on loan for a month, but how he kept us up that year without spending a penny was his biggest miracle.

We took some beatings in 2003/04, and I think we conceded the most goals in the division, but those two home games against Wimbledon and Derby which all but secured our status for another year should be classed as two of his best wins.

Boll ewood
Been Liked: 56 times

Post by Boll ewood » Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:00 pm

Derby away in the cup Andy Cooke winner. Fulham away in the cup played at QPR. Preston away 3-2 King Arthur double. Beating Preston at home think it might have been David Johnsons debut for us. Also a couple of shockers bury away Boxing Day 4 nil down by half time if I remember correctly. Watford away in the cup. Left out best two players on the bench. Just a couple of ones I Remember of the top of my head thst I attended.

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3327 times
Has Liked: 1939 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:15 pm

Boll ewood wrote:Derby away in the cup Andy Cooke winner. Fulham away in the cup played at QPR. Preston away 3-2 King Arthur double. Beating Preston at home think it might have been David Johnsons debut for us. Also a couple of shockers bury away Boxing Day 4 nil down by half time if I remember correctly. Watford away in the cup. Left out best two players on the bench. Just a couple of ones I Remember of the top of my head thst I attended.
Four down and only ten men at Bury with Davis sent off.
That was the game Payton didn’t turn up on time and they found him asleep on his couch.
This user liked this post: Burnley1989

Rowls

Post by Rowls » Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:18 pm

Boll ewood wrote:Derby away in the cup Andy Cooke winner. Fulham away in the cup played at QPR. Preston away 3-2 King Arthur double. Beating Preston at home think it might have been David Johnsons debut for us. Also a couple of shockers bury away Boxing Day 4 nil down by half time if I remember correctly. Watford away in the cup. Left out best two players on the bench. Just a couple of ones I Remember of the top of my head thst I attended.
Ah yes - Derby away!

How could anyone who was there forget that??? Not a classic game by any stretch but a classic day out and a brilliant Claret following with non-stop singing.

It's weird to imagine in these days when we're so blase about beating Derby home and away (when we're not a league above them, natch) that this cup win was considered a "giant killing" at the time. They were Premier League and we were third tier.

Oh how times change! :)

UTC

NL Claret
Been Liked: 515 times
Has Liked: 209 times

Post by NL Claret » Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:22 pm

Rowls wrote:Ah yes - Derby away!

How could anyone who was there forget that??? Not a classic game by any stretch but a classic day out and a brilliant Claret following with non-stop singing.

It's weird to imagine in these days when we're so blase about beating Derby home and away (when we're not a league above them, natch) that this cup win was considered a "giant killing" at the time. They were Premier League and we were third tier.

Oh how times change! :)

UTC
3rd Round played in December. They were PL and fancied their chances, remember early on Poom had the ball at his feet and either Payton or Cooke crunched him one and you knew we were right up for it. Fantastic support that day.

Woodleyclaret
Been Liked: 1468 times
Has Liked: 1839 times

Post by Woodleyclaret » Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:23 pm

That Watford fiasco when I was convinced we were on our way to Wembley stands out as his worst game.
Falling out with Andy Payton and not playing Greek international Dimi Pap another bad moment.
But he was a good motivator overall and played a big part in our rise back up the leagues

jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4800 times
Has Liked: 943 times

Post by jdrobbo » Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:31 pm

For Robbie...

759FDFC7-EA8C-4A14-8A37-B6376BC22378.jpeg
759FDFC7-EA8C-4A14-8A37-B6376BC22378.jpeg (86.08 KiB) Viewed 3674 times

Buxtonclaret
Been Liked: 3747 times
Has Liked: 7520 times

Post by Buxtonclaret » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:18 pm

He wasn't too far away from having a season in the Prem with us early on in the 2nd tier.
That itv digital fiasco hit us bad.
And has as been mentioned up the thread, keeping us up then was a minor miracle.
There really were a lot of great times following Burnley under Stan.
One of my all time favourite managers.
These 4 users liked this post: Rowls Bosscat Wuggawumphwumph AfloatinClaret

Nonayforever
Been Liked: 690 times
Has Liked: 172 times

Post by Nonayforever » Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:36 pm

One of my favourite Stan quotes :-

'Even a blind man on a galloping horse'

Can't remember the exact context of the interview but that phrase really stood out.

A hard man but needed at the time.

Fretters
Been Liked: 1034 times
Has Liked: 543 times

Post by Fretters » Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:37 pm

The first half of 01/02 was unbelievable. Top of Division One in only our second season, above the likes of Man City, and scoring goals for fun. Then I think he fell out with Paul Cook, loaned him to Wigan in the league below and the wheels completely fell off at City.

My favourite memory was the excitement he caused by bringing in Ian Wright.

Darnhill Claret
Been Liked: 498 times
Has Liked: 992 times

Post by Darnhill Claret » Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:47 pm

The Watford quarter-final was a hindsight result. Stan had been openly stating for some time that he would stay loyal to players who had the shirt and it had served him well up to that point. If he’d have brought Robbie and Glen back in for that game and the result had gone against us he’d have been blasted for bringing them back in and not staying loyal to the shirt holders. Bit like Kane and Winks, (Moura and Llorente). Sean also tends to go with the same loyalty. Just happens that on the day we were second best and maybe too many fans were dreaming of Wembley.

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2274 times
Has Liked: 2153 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:08 pm

Was a big part of my childhood, love him for those memories, good & bad! Never thought I’d say I enjoyed those days but I did! My dad waking me up early doors to travel to some old ground, the whole experience will live with me forever, they’re special times with just me & my dad!

Great bloke that understood Burnley, cried my eyes out on that lap of honour when he left
This user liked this post: Buxtonclaret

TsarBomba
Been Liked: 1138 times
Has Liked: 288 times

Post by TsarBomba » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:34 pm

A couple of my family members worked for the LET, as it was, and said Stan was completely unpredictable, and if he didn’t like what he read in the paper on a Monday morning, he’d be straight on the blower to let you know!

There’s a definite quality to that. Straight to the point. Sometimes brutal, but everyone knew where they stood.

Stan stood his ground, and would happily take anyone on. Warnock, Little, the fans. I seem to remember him having a set to with a pitch invader at Sheffield Wednesday when we won 2-0?

His final game in charge, and his tearful goodbye, told us how much the club meant to him. Stan was devastated that he never got us to the Prem, but regardless, he did a very good job in often tricky times.

He’ll be fondly remembered.
These 2 users liked this post: Quicknick Buxtonclaret

alpo
Been Liked: 14 times
Has Liked: 13 times

Post by alpo » Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:53 pm

We've been on the magic lantern and lost but we'll take it on the chin and crack on from here.

JimMcDonald
Been Liked: 64 times
Has Liked: 23 times

Post by JimMcDonald » Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:54 pm

Burnley1989 wrote:Was a big part of my childhood, love him for those memories, good & bad! Never thought I’d say I enjoyed those days but I did! My dad waking me up early doors to travel to some old ground, the whole experience will live with me forever, they’re special times with just me & my dad!

Great bloke that understood Burnley, cried my eyes out on that lap of honour when he left
Cried over football hahaha soft ****

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8426 times
Has Liked: 18095 times

Post by Bosscat » Sun Jun 02, 2019 9:03 pm

JimMcDonald wrote:Cried over football hahaha soft ****
I think the myotonic dystrophy is screwing with your brain Jim ... so it is ...
This user liked this post: Buxtonclaret

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5002 times
Has Liked: 6715 times

Post by bfcjg » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:12 pm

He did some good but also read the autobiography he brags about screwing us for more money and a car for him and Sam, he knew we were skint at the time. His insistance on ensuring Ronnie Jepson got appearance money by sticking him on for five minutes at the end of nearly every game regardless of the score was also strange.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:15 pm

The away game at Watford in the FA Cup left a sour taste.

Cabbage
Been Liked: 166 times
Has Liked: 136 times

Post by Cabbage » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:33 pm

After the awful season with Chris Waddle as manager I nearly decided not to bother renewing my season ticket. The thing that sticks in my memory about Stan was after the York game (?) when he came on Radio Lancashire and said 3 of the players would never play for Burnley again and could leave with immediate effect. With Barry Kilby the new chairman as well it just felt like somebody was getting a grip of the club again.

Cabbage
Been Liked: 166 times
Has Liked: 136 times

Post by Cabbage » Sun Jun 02, 2019 10:36 pm

Cabbage wrote:After the awful season with Chris Waddle as manager I nearly decided not to bother renewing my season ticket. The thing that sticks in my memory about Stan was after the York game (?) when he came on Radio Lancashire and said 3 of the players would never play for Burnley again and could leave with immediate effect. With Barry Kilby the new chairman as well it just felt like somebody was getting a grip of the club again.

Oops! Clearly didn’t read all the opening post. Sorry.
This user liked this post: gtclaret

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:04 am

The last manager who we could sing 'claret and blue army' to any sort of rythym!

Dyched
Been Liked: 1921 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:12 am

Too young to remember many details etc.

What was it? A point and then the season after a goal away from the play offs?

I remember playing Coventry on a baking hot last game of the season. That one goal needed and Gazza coming close twice within what seemed the last minute from free kicks. Magnus Henman? In goal I think?

Was ball boy against Darlington in the FA Cup when Lenny scored a last gasp equaliser. I also got another lad bollocked after I banged on the dressing room door at half time when we were losing :lol: .

Hendrickxz
Been Liked: 200 times
Has Liked: 44 times

Post by Hendrickxz » Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:23 am

TsarBomba wrote:A couple of my family members worked for the LET, as it was, and said Stan was completely unpredictable, and if he didn’t like what he read in the paper on a Monday morning, he’d be straight on the blower to let you know!

There’s a definite quality to that. Straight to the point. Sometimes brutal, but everyone knew where they stood.

Stan stood his ground, and would happily take anyone on. Warnock, Little, the fans. I seem to remember him having a set to with a pitch invader at Sheffield Wednesday when we won 2-0?

His final game in charge, and his tearful goodbye, told us how much the club meant to him. Stan was devastated that he never got us to the Prem, but regardless, he did a very good job in often tricky times.

He’ll be fondly remembered.
He could give journalists a very hard time if something didn't suit. He absolutely hated being addressed by his surname and demanded respect when approached.