Kindle football autobiographies

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Post Reply
Steve1956
Posts: 7480
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:57 pm
Been Liked: 2380 times
Has Liked: 1182 times
Location: Fife

Kindle football autobiographies

Post by Steve1956 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 10:44 am

Some really cheap deals,books for 99p,decided to take reading up as a hobby anyone got any recommendations for football autobiographies,at the mo I've started reading "The Gaffer" by Neil Warnock.cheers.

aggi
Posts: 4787
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:31 am
Been Liked: 1139 times

Re: Kindle football autobiographies

Post by aggi » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:05 am

I find older or lower league ones tend to be more interesting that the current top players. A bit more honest and a side of football you don't see as much.

Only a Game - Eamon Dunphy
Where’s Your Caravan? - Chris Hargreaves
Massively Violent & Decidedly Average - Lee Howey
A Life Too Short: The Tragedy of Robert Enke - Ronald Reng
Provided You Don’t Kiss Me: 20 Years with Brian Clough - Duncan Hamilton

and football related but not massively biographical

My Father and Other Working Class Football Heroes - Gary Imlach
A Season With Verona - Tim Parks
and the various Michael Calvin titles

I tend to just add them to my wishlist and keep an eye out for when the price drops and buy them then.
This user liked this post: Steve1956

Bosscat
Posts: 6298
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:51 am
Been Liked: 1889 times
Has Liked: 5106 times

Re: Kindle football autobiographies

Post by Bosscat » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:13 am

Try this one Steve
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Roy-Rovers-Off ... 1780893299" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Steve1956
Posts: 7480
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:57 pm
Been Liked: 2380 times
Has Liked: 1182 times
Location: Fife

Re: Kindle football autobiographies

Post by Steve1956 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:16 am

Bosscat wrote:Try this one Steve
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Roy-Rovers-Off ... 1780893299" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A childhood hero. :D

levraiclaret
Posts: 1280
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 11:40 am
Been Liked: 322 times
Has Liked: 891 times
Location: Leicestershire
Contact:

Re: Kindle football autobiographies

Post by levraiclaret » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:17 am

I have enjoyed these on Kindle:
My Father and Other Working Class Heroes - Gary Imlach
Hatters, Railwaymen and Knitters - Daniel Grey
Willie Morgan on the Wing - Willie Morgan
A Season with Verona - Tim Parks
Inverting the Pyramid - Jonathan Wilson
Tommy Boyle - Broken Hero - Mike Smith
and the various books of Dave Thomas (Rodley Dave)

Steve1956
Posts: 7480
Joined: Fri Dec 30, 2016 1:57 pm
Been Liked: 2380 times
Has Liked: 1182 times
Location: Fife

Re: Kindle football autobiographies

Post by Steve1956 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:18 am

aggi wrote:I find older or lower league ones tend to be more interesting that the current top players. A bit more honest and a side of football you don't see as much.

Only a Game - Eamon Dunphy
Where’s Your Caravan? - Chris Hargreaves
Massively Violent & Decidedly Average - Lee Howey
A Life Too Short: The Tragedy of Robert Enke - Ronald Reng
Provided You Don’t Kiss Me: 20 Years with Brian Clough - Duncan Hamilton

and football related but not massively biographical

My Father and Other Working Class Football Heroes - Gary Imlach
A Season With Verona - Tim Parks
and the various Michael Calvin titles

I tend to just add them to my wishlist and keep an eye out for when the price drops and buy them then.
Cheers I fancy the Lee Howey one £6.64....it must be good :)

NL Claret
Posts: 1529
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 12:37 pm
Been Liked: 391 times
Has Liked: 172 times

Re: Kindle football autobiographies

Post by NL Claret » Mon Jun 03, 2019 12:07 pm

Steve1956 wrote:Cheers I fancy the Lee Howey one £6.64....it must be good :)

Jon Parkin's book is hilarious. Read it in an afternoon on holiday.

Not an autobiography but an excellent read about north west football is On The Brink by Simon Hughes.

Post Reply