Global cooling

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Post Reply
Mala591
Posts: 1026
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 4:02 pm
Been Liked: 233 times
Has Liked: 164 times

Global cooling

Post by Mala591 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:52 pm

Seems to be occurring in the town of Burnley, Lancashire, England.

Can some senior meteorological scientists please investigate asap before it's too late?
These 4 users liked this post: Bosscat RingoMcCartney Leisure DomBFC1882

RingoMcCartney
Posts: 9371
Joined: Sat Apr 02, 2016 4:45 pm
Been Liked: 2265 times
Has Liked: 2485 times

Re: Global cooling

Post by RingoMcCartney » Wed Jun 12, 2019 1:58 pm

Aka Monsoon June.

Vintage Claret
Posts: 1399
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 3:03 pm
Been Liked: 609 times
Has Liked: 407 times

Re: Global cooling

Post by Vintage Claret » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:14 pm

We turned the central heating off at Easter -put it back on for June!
This user liked this post: Leisure

Paul Waine
Posts: 6162
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:28 pm
Been Liked: 1438 times
Has Liked: 1756 times

Re: Global cooling

Post by Paul Waine » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:14 pm

Hi Mala591, it's probably climate change. I'm not sure if it's arrived faster than we were expecting or we were always going to see these "wilder" variations in the normal climate.

I saw something from BP yesterday - yes, BP recognise that we need to do something to manage the impacts of climate change. They'd looked at world energy demand in 2018 and compared it with predicted energy demand. There was a big difference on the original model. When they looked deeper they identified that one of the biggest factors in the growth of energy demand was that, in the USA there were more days when the weather was hotter than "normal" AND more days when the weather was colder than normal. On hot days, a/c is used to cool down, on cold days heating is used to warm up. Previous periods, if there'd been hot days there were fewer cold days and if there'd been more cold days there were fewer hot days. USA is big country, data is easily available - and most of the population can afford both cooling and heating - so, these things show up in the word energy demand.

Yes, i think climate change means more hot days and more cold days - and then some of this "monsoon June" that we are experiencing.

Meanwhile, my water supply - and a large part of south west London - has been off since early this morning and rumour has it that it may not be back until Friday. Thames Water is staring to distribute bottled water - most of the local stores have run out, and I'm sure my local convenience store has added £1 to his bottled water prices. (Beer may be cheaper. I recall beer shampoos were popular at one time - but I think you still needed a rinse in clen water to finish). ;)

SonofPog
Posts: 514
Joined: Sat Jan 23, 2016 1:52 am
Been Liked: 142 times
Has Liked: 69 times

Re: Global cooling

Post by SonofPog » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:19 pm

Mala591 wrote:Seems to be occurring in the town of Burnley, Lancashire, England.

Can some senior meteorological scientists please investigate asap before it's too late?
Some you want me to explain the difference between climate and weather?

dsr
Posts: 10506
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:47 pm
Been Liked: 3065 times
Has Liked: 1310 times

Re: Global cooling

Post by dsr » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:21 pm

This isn't a variation in normal climate. This is normal June weather. Weather has a very wide range of what is "normal" - "normal" being an entirely different word from "average".

Wet, cool Junes are normal; so are warm, dry ones.

claretonthecoast1882
Posts: 2825
Joined: Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:59 pm
Been Liked: 1331 times
Has Liked: 44 times

Re: Global cooling

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 2:23 pm

Can't beat a wet cool June

Dyched
Posts: 4468
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2016 12:34 am
Been Liked: 1420 times
Has Liked: 332 times

Re: Global cooling

Post by Dyched » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:19 pm

I haven’t even had chance to walk round town with me top off yet.

bfcmik
Posts: 2285
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2016 2:03 pm
Been Liked: 595 times
Has Liked: 644 times
Location: Solihull Geriatric Centre

Re: Global cooling

Post by bfcmik » Wed Jun 12, 2019 4:35 pm

I apologise to everyone - I swapped my winter 10.5 tog off the bed to the 4.5 tog summer duvet last week - It has been wet and cool since then.

Down here in Solihull we have had a very dry year to date with less than 2/3rds the average for Jan-May. I am a believer in long-term averages being about right, some will be wetter, some will be drier and some will be just right ;) so the rain was bound to come. We have already had a month and a half's rain this month with more forecast so I'm glad I'm getting away for a holiday next week 8-)

Hipper
Posts: 2809
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:33 pm
Been Liked: 580 times
Has Liked: 434 times

Re: Global cooling

Post by Hipper » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:02 pm

What seems to have changed is the way we get rain. It comes more now in deluges then steady rain, which means the infrastructure - downpipes, storm water drains etc. - are less able to cope.

It could be worse:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95dRaFEpdTg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

4:20
Posts: 1163
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:23 am
Been Liked: 550 times
Has Liked: 631 times

Re: Global cooling

Post by 4:20 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:08 pm

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:Can't beat a wet cool June
This dude prefers April,
yIn1iw1.jpg
yIn1iw1.jpg (20.97 KiB) Viewed 2299 times

Corky
Posts: 1151
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 3:37 pm
Been Liked: 410 times
Has Liked: 333 times

Re: Global cooling

Post by Corky » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:10 pm

If this carries on it will be called flaming June for a completely different reason.

Bosscat
Posts: 9390
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:51 am
Been Liked: 2879 times
Has Liked: 7236 times

Re: Global cooling

Post by Bosscat » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:22 pm

4:20 wrote:This dude prefers April,
yIn1iw1.jpg
April looks like she will be "Busting out all over"
This user liked this post: 4:20

4:20
Posts: 1163
Joined: Mon Sep 18, 2017 8:23 am
Been Liked: 550 times
Has Liked: 631 times

Re: Global cooling

Post by 4:20 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 5:37 pm

Bosscat wrote:April looks like she will be "Busting out all over"
April showers forecast
This user liked this post: Bosscat

BennyD
Posts: 3300
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:10 am
Been Liked: 1224 times
Has Liked: 611 times
Location: Nantwich

Re: Global cooling

Post by BennyD » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:29 pm

Is she a squirter? :D

CardyTheClaret
Posts: 228
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:22 am
Been Liked: 132 times
Has Liked: 97 times
Location: Barrowford

Re: Global cooling

Post by CardyTheClaret » Wed Jun 12, 2019 6:54 pm

Last summer we were told to get used to these lengthy spells of hot weather. What a load of ********.

Imploding Turtle
Posts: 20121
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:12 am
Been Liked: 5482 times
Has Liked: 2540 times
Location: Burnley, Lancs

Re: Global cooling

Post by Imploding Turtle » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:17 pm

At the risk of being accused of virtue-signalling by Damo, oh no!!!! The temperature of the one specific place where i live is below the average temperature for that one specific place where i live for this time of year. This must mean the entire planet is cooling.

Imploding Turtle
Posts: 20121
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:12 am
Been Liked: 5482 times
Has Liked: 2540 times
Location: Burnley, Lancs

Re: Global cooling

Post by Imploding Turtle » Wed Jun 12, 2019 8:20 pm

At the risk of being accused of virtue-signalling by Damo, oh dear god!!!! 7 hours ago the sun was high in the sky. Now it's being swallowed by the horizon. THE SUN IS FALLING AND IT'S GETTING COLDER. WE'RE ALL GOING TO FREEZE!!!!!111

This thread is now about me.

wickdkewlclaret
Posts: 569
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:12 pm
Been Liked: 138 times
Has Liked: 81 times

Re: Global cooling

Post by wickdkewlclaret » Wed Jun 12, 2019 9:22 pm

We are north of the jet stream in the midst of intense low pressure... that good enough?

Falcon
Posts: 2807
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:40 pm
Been Liked: 793 times
Has Liked: 770 times
Location: Proudsville

Re: Global cooling

Post by Falcon » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:21 pm

Do other countries talk about the weather as much as us? We are bloody obsessed!

ClaretDiver
Posts: 1274
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2016 5:00 am
Been Liked: 315 times
Has Liked: 14 times

Re: Global cooling

Post by ClaretDiver » Thu Jun 13, 2019 12:35 pm

Paul Waine wrote:
Meanwhile, my water supply - and a large part of south west London - has been off since early this morning and rumour has it that it may not be back until Friday. Thames Water is staring to distribute bottled water - most of the local stores have run out, and I'm sure my local convenience store has added £1 to his bottled water prices. (Beer may be cheaper. I recall beer shampoos were popular at one time - but I think you still needed a rinse in clen water to finish). ;)
What are the reasons being given for the water being off? I guess instead of hitting the problem head on and preventing it before it happes they are going to throw plastic pollution at the problem? I hope that the areas hit have sufficient and effective recycling plants or else it is just adding to the problem....

Spike
Posts: 1744
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 1:07 pm
Been Liked: 360 times
Has Liked: 791 times

Re: Global cooling

Post by Spike » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:11 pm

Paul Waine wrote:Hi Mala591, it's probably climate change. I'm not sure if it's arrived faster than we were expecting or we were always going to see these "wilder" variations in the normal climate.

I saw something from BP yesterday - yes, BP recognise that we need to do something to manage the impacts of climate change. They'd looked at world energy demand in 2018 and compared it with predicted energy demand. There was a big difference on the original model. When they looked deeper they identified that one of the biggest factors in the growth of energy demand was that, in the USA there were more days when the weather was hotter than "normal" AND more days when the weather was colder than normal. On hot days, a/c is used to cool down, on cold days heating is used to warm up. Previous periods, if there'd been hot days there were fewer cold days and if there'd been more cold days there were fewer hot days. USA is big country, data is easily available - and most of the population can afford both cooling and heating - so, these things show up in the word energy demand.

Yes, i think climate change means more hot days and more cold days - and then some of this "monsoon June" that we are experiencing.

Meanwhile, my water supply - and a large part of south west London - has been off since early this morning and rumour has it that it may not be back until Friday. Thames Water is staring to distribute bottled water - most of the local stores have run out, and I'm sure my local convenience store has added £1 to his bottled water prices. (Beer may be cheaper. I recall beer shampoos were popular at one time - but I think you still needed a rinse in clen water to finish). ;)
Big explanation about global warming but please tell us why you have no mains water- half a story

dsr
Posts: 10506
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 12:47 pm
Been Liked: 3065 times
Has Liked: 1310 times

Re: Global cooling

Post by dsr » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:12 pm

Spike wrote:Big explanation about global warming but please tell us why you have no mains water- half a story
Burst pipe in a water treatment works.

Paul Waine
Posts: 6162
Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2016 2:28 pm
Been Liked: 1438 times
Has Liked: 1756 times

Re: Global cooling

Post by Paul Waine » Fri Jun 14, 2019 5:41 pm

Spike wrote:Big explanation about global warming but please tell us why you have no mains water- half a story
Hi Spike, burst water main/failed pump or whatever it was, was extensively covered on BBC News on Wed. Made the front page of BBC New website website, though this may be just because I live here - or maybe it was just because it happened "in London."

I'll defer to others whether 100,000 households (or whatever the BBC reported) would have been near the top of the news if the 100,000 had been somewhere in North East Lancs.

Clarets4me
Posts: 3418
Joined: Thu Jan 28, 2016 9:31 pm
Been Liked: 1601 times
Has Liked: 698 times
Location: Ightenhill,Burnley

Re: Global cooling

Post by Clarets4me » Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:00 pm

United Utilities report N/W Reservoir water storage is at 81.4% capacity as at the end of week 23 ( last Sunday ), the historical average for this week is 85.3%, so the situation is boringly average for us here in the North West ....
Last edited by Clarets4me on Fri Jun 14, 2019 10:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Imploding Turtle
Posts: 20121
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:12 am
Been Liked: 5482 times
Has Liked: 2540 times
Location: Burnley, Lancs

Re: Global cooling

Post by Imploding Turtle » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:48 pm

Falcon wrote:Do other countries talk about the weather as much as us? We are bloody obsessed!
Probably not, but then our weather is among the most changeable on the planet.

mdd2
Posts: 4417
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:47 pm
Been Liked: 1264 times
Has Liked: 572 times

Re: Global cooling

Post by mdd2 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:07 pm

dsr wrote:This isn't a variation in normal climate. This is normal June weather. Weather has a very wide range of what is "normal" - "normal" being an entirely different word from "average".

Wet, cool Junes are normal; so are warm, dry ones.
Anyone remember Derbyshire v Lancs in Buxton in June 1975 yes June -no play due to snow.
We were on hols in Skegness in a caravan with two boys 2 and 10 months-woke up in the morning freezing then heard that the previous day Derbyshire Lancs no play because of snow. Gawd it was a bad few days

Bfcboyo
Posts: 1967
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:30 pm
Been Liked: 408 times
Has Liked: 342 times

Re: Global cooling

Post by Bfcboyo » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:33 pm

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:Can't beat a wet cool June
The cool bit leans towards necrophilia. I will assume we meant trendy.

Bfcboyo
Posts: 1967
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:30 pm
Been Liked: 408 times
Has Liked: 342 times

Re: Global cooling

Post by Bfcboyo » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:34 pm

Trendy where did that go?

Stayingup
Posts: 2359
Joined: Sun Aug 21, 2016 8:02 pm
Been Liked: 398 times
Has Liked: 733 times

Re: Global cooling

Post by Stayingup » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:16 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:Probably not, but then our weather is among the most changeable on the planet.
Oh I dont know about that. Try the Tropics.

Its an old saying among us travellers. We have rge a good climate but bad weather.

Bin Ont Turf
Posts: 9298
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:38 am
Been Liked: 4371 times
Has Liked: 541 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Re: Global cooling

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:27 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:At the risk of being accused of virtue-signalling by Damo, oh no!!!!

I think it's probably time you saw a child psychologist.

Imploding Turtle
Posts: 20121
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:12 am
Been Liked: 5482 times
Has Liked: 2540 times
Location: Burnley, Lancs

Re: Global cooling

Post by Imploding Turtle » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:52 am

Bin Ont Turf wrote:I think it's probably time you saw a child psychologist.
And i think it's time you raided your parents medicine cabinet and started experimenting.

Jel
Posts: 562
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:54 pm
Been Liked: 171 times
Has Liked: 980 times

Re: Global cooling

Post by Jel » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:00 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:Aka Monsoon June.
I once knew Monsoon Mary,
She was hot, wet and sticky. She came once a year!

Jel
Posts: 562
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:54 pm
Been Liked: 171 times
Has Liked: 980 times

Re: Global cooling

Post by Jel » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:04 pm

received_483919622429769.jpeg
received_483919622429769.jpeg (55 KiB) Viewed 1235 times

Imploding Turtle
Posts: 20121
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2016 7:12 am
Been Liked: 5482 times
Has Liked: 2540 times
Location: Burnley, Lancs

Re: Global cooling

Post by Imploding Turtle » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:19 pm

Jel wrote:I once knew Monsoon Mary,
She was hot, wet and sticky. She came once a year!
And never because of you.

Jel
Posts: 562
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2016 3:54 pm
Been Liked: 171 times
Has Liked: 980 times

Re: Global cooling

Post by Jel » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:58 am

Imploding Turtle wrote:And never because of you.
True! I stayed well clear

brexit
Posts: 543
Joined: Tue Sep 27, 2016 12:20 am
Been Liked: 97 times
Has Liked: 27 times
Location: on the gravy train in strasbourg

Re: Global cooling

Post by brexit » Sun Jun 16, 2019 11:23 am

mdd2 wrote:Anyone remember Derbyshire v Lancs in Buxton in June 1975 yes June -no play due to snow.
We were on hols in Skegness in a caravan with two boys 2 and 10 months-woke up in the morning freezing then heard that the previous day Derbyshire Lancs no play because of snow. Gawd it was a bad few days
Labour government?

Post Reply