YES! Farage Milkshaked

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Re: YES! Farage Milkshaked

Post by tiger76 » Wed Jun 12, 2019 11:32 pm

Damo wrote:It was a joke to be fair.
As tempted as I am to highlight some peoples double standards, I have no desire to live in their safe from offence, humourless world.
Leave that nonsense to the left
Yes it was a joke although not a very funny one.

But so where Danny Baker's remarks,and he got the boot ASAP.

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4159 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:49 am

Not many replies from those who label themselves as the left defending this odious woman, despite them more than likely giggling away at the story. Probably too busy defending the rights of a multiple child killer.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6891 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:23 am

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:Not many replies from those who label themselves as the left defending this odious woman, despite them more than likely giggling away at the story. Probably too busy defending the rights of a multiple child killer.
I don’t think anyone on here labels themselves as the left because those labels are stupid. Life isn’t black and white.

And do you think the reason that nobody is defending Brand’s comments could be because nobody thinks that her comments are defendable? You’re obviously upset that people aren’t defending her so you’ve had to resort to make-believe by suggesting that people will be giggling about the story. Very odd.
This user liked this post: AndrewJB

claretonthecoast1882

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:25 am

Rileybobs wrote:I don’t think anyone on here labels themselves as the left because those labels are stupid. Life isn’t black and white.

And do you think the reason that nobody is defending Brand’s comments could be because nobody thinks that her comments are defendable? You’re obviously upset that people aren’t defending her so you’ve had to resort to make-believe by suggesting that people will be giggling about the story. Very odd.

Nobody on here labels themselves the left ? I will stop there with the reply

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6891 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:33 am

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:Nobody on here labels themselves the left ? I will stop there with the reply
Can you provide an example where somebody has labelled themselves the left?

claretonthecoast1882

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 8:34 am

Nope not one

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:02 am

Comedian makes a joke about a politician - hold the back page.

That Mike Yarwood fellow used to do silly impressions of Harold Wilson and Edward Heath and there probably still people who thought he was wrong to mock them. The same outraged type of people people when it was stepped up a level for Spitting Image

These days they would be doing paedophilic jokes about Heath.

It’s nothing to do with left or right - everyone is fair game and when they step over the line like Brand did they just apologise and nobody bats an eyelid.
I’m sure when Labour’s John Prescott was egged there was plenty of “jokes” about other things it could have been thrown at him.

Imploding Turtle
Been Liked: 5483 times
Has Liked: 2540 times

Post by Imploding Turtle » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:08 am

"It's just a joke, like on Top Gear"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7CnMQ4L9Pc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I love how politically correct the anti-political correctness brigade get when they think they can be reasonably offended by something.

You see, people like me think that you shouldn't go around calling black people 'niggers', or brown people "pakis', or gay people 'faggots', and that if you do then you should face society's criticism. And according to conservatives that makes me a "PC looney" or something.

And because i think that companies should have the right to deny their platform to those who use those words abusively ON their platform, such as YouTube or Twitter, then apparently that makes me an enemy of freedom of speech among those morons who don't understand what freedom of speech is.

And yet, and yet, and yet, and yet, Every. Single. Time. a liberal or lefty comedian says something that they find offensive they immediately, and en masse like the ******* NPC morons they are, become extremely offended and in the most public way.

And this after years of defending people like Jeremy Clarkson from the people they accuse me of being (but not me) for his jokes.
This user liked this post: Claret-On-A-T-Rex

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:24 am

claretonthecoast1882 wrote:Not many replies from those who label themselves as the left defending this odious woman, despite them more than likely giggling away at the story. Probably too busy defending the rights of a multiple child killer.

Remember when you joined in on my joke about me not having to blow myself up to be a martyr? You made a joke expressing your sadness that i didn't have to.

Funny how you've changed your mind about jokes about violence, isn't it?

Here, i'll remind you.

I believe there's a word for people like you. Actually i believe there are hundreds, but i'm thinking of one H-word in particular.

dsr
Been Liked: 4546 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:06 am

TVC15 wrote:Comedian makes a joke ...
You've lost me already. Thought this was about Jo Brand? :?

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:12 am

dsr wrote:You've lost me already. Thought this was about Jo Brand? :?
Good point
I think I may have set up a false opposition !

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Thu Jun 13, 2019 10:16 am

Imploding Turtle wrote:"It's just a joke, like on Top Gear"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7CnMQ4L9Pc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I love how politically correct the anti-political correctness brigade get when they think they can be reasonably offended by something.

You see, people like me think that you shouldn't go around calling black people 'niggers', or brown people "pakis', or gay people 'faggots', and that if you do then you should face society's criticism. And according to conservatives that makes me a "PC looney" or something.

And because i think that companies should have the right to deny their platform to those who use those words abusively ON their platform, such as YouTube or Twitter, then apparently that makes me an enemy of freedom of speech among those morons who don't understand what freedom of speech is.

And yet, and yet, and yet, and yet, Every. Single. Time. a liberal or lefty comedian says something that they find offensive they immediately, and en masse like the ******* NPC morons they are, become extremely offended and in the most public way.

And this after years of defending people like Jeremy Clarkson from the people they accuse me of being (but not me) for his jokes.
:lol:

Claret-On-A-T-Rex
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 826 times

Post by Claret-On-A-T-Rex » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:36 pm

I'll defend her.

She SAID something, she didn't DO something, also she didn't LIE and print it on the side of a bus and drive up and down the country in it.

In my opinion there is nothing can be said that is offensive to proponents of the far-right such as Farage, Tommy Yaxley Robertinson, Boris Johnson, Trump because they are ****.

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2560 times
Has Liked: 690 times

Post by Tall Paul » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:47 pm

tiger76 wrote:Yes it was a joke although not a very funny one.

But so where Danny Baker's remarks,and he got the boot ASAP.
I don't think Jo Brand is employed by the BBC, so how can they give her the boot?

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:48 pm

Claret-On-A-T-Rex wrote:I'll defend her.

She SAID something, she didn't DO something, also she didn't LIE and print it on the side of a bus and drive up and down the country in it.

In my opinion there is nothing can be said that is offensive to proponents of the far-right such as Farage, Tommy Yaxley Robertinson, Boris Johnson, Trump because they are ****.
Where does "far right" stop for you? Arthur Scargill?

Sausage
Been Liked: 637 times
Has Liked: 441 times

Post by Sausage » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:52 pm

I’ll defend Jo Brand too. I think her comment was ill-judged but, in the context of a radio programme that is clearly set up to get laughs out of controversial subjects, it shouldn’t be interpreted as inciting violence.

It’s sometimes difficult to know when you may be crossing the line in comedy. I doubt, for example, that Jo Brand would have made the same comment if she were appearing on a programme with Katie Piper or perhaps Jo Cox’s widower. But if you want comedians to be spontaneously funny as opposed to everything being scripted you have to accept that they will occasionally misjudge it. It’s an occupational hazard, not a reason to call the police.
This user liked this post: Claret-On-A-T-Rex

Claret-On-A-T-Rex

Post by Claret-On-A-T-Rex » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:53 pm

thatdberight wrote:Where does "far right" stop for you? Arthur Scargill?

Duh.

Honestly is that the best you can do?

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:54 pm

Claret-On-A-T-Rex wrote:Duh.

Honestly is that the best you can do?
Seriously, where does it stop? Boris Johnson is not usually referred to as "far right" but you see him thus. Where is your dividing line?

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2887 times
Has Liked: 1760 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:59 pm

radio 4 has a small insider clique of usually awful comics on dreary panel shows, but the idea of police intervention as suggested by farage is pathetic.

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:11 pm

I thought we lived in an era when our elected representatives were subject to unpleasant threats and we had examples of real harm being done to them so it was only right that we all, in whatever context, should be careful not to inflame situations or give succour to the small fringes of violent activists. Or was that something else that doesn't apply here? If you give Brand the OK, it's hard not to let Sargon of Arsewad continue being the lovable rogue that he isn't.

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5513 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:21 pm

Similarly there are a lot of people who complain about the police “wasting” time investigating hate crimes but none have them have criticised Farage for calling on the police to act on this.

Greenmile
Been Liked: 1077 times
Has Liked: 4239 times

Post by Greenmile » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:22 pm

thatdberight wrote:Seriously, where does it stop? Boris Johnson is not usually referred to as "far right" but you see him thus. Where is your dividing line?
Johnson will say or do anything to further his career. Whilst I don’t think he genuinely holds far right views himself, I sure he’d be happy to espouse them if he thought there were votes in it (which sadly, there appears to be, nowadays).

He is a racist though.

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:25 pm

thatdberight wrote:I thought we lived in an era when our elected representatives were subject to unpleasant threats and we had examples of real harm being done to them so it was only right that we all, in whatever context, should be careful not to inflame situations or give succour to the small fringes of violent activists. Or was that something else that doesn't apply here? If you give Brand the OK, it's hard not to let Sargon of Arsewad continue being the lovable rogue that he isn't.

Context is important. Brand was making a joke as a comedian. Count Dankula was making a joke as the producer of a comedy vehicle. Carl Benjamin was making a statement as a political commentator, he's not a comedian.

This is what i don't get about you former free speech warriors. We all thought it was ridiculous when our courts decided that when Count Dankula repeated "gas the jews" over and over on his YouTube video that the context didn't matter (the context being he was giving his dog a command, and wasn't seriously saying we should gas the jews). But for some reason, when it's a lefty comedian you're all ******* missing when it comes to arguing that context matters. She was on a comedy programme that has the specific intent to make edgy jokes. Why the **** have all the right-wing free speech warriors done a ******* runner on this and decided to join the other side?

This kind of **** makes those of us who actually value free speech think that you ***** are only interested in defending free speech for your side.

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:27 pm

Sausage wrote:I’ll defend Jo Brand too. I think her comment was ill-judged but, in the context of a radio programme that is clearly set up to get laughs out of controversial subjects, it shouldn’t be interpreted as inciting violence.

It’s sometimes difficult to know when you may be crossing the line in comedy. I doubt, for example, that Jo Brand would have made the same comment if she were appearing on a programme with Katie Piper or perhaps Jo Cox’s widower. But if you want comedians to be spontaneously funny as opposed to everything being scripted you have to accept that they will occasionally misjudge it. It’s an occupational hazard, not a reason to call the police.

I'm not necessarily agreeing with you but this supposed spontaneous lapse of judgement ran all the way from Brand, her co-stsrs, Coren-Mitchell, producer, editor, f*** knows how many layers of BBC management and the spontaneity lasted three weeks. It was recorded on 21st May.

At what point do we accept the obvious that it was OK to all those people because of who it was about?

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:28 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:Context is important. Brand was making a joke as a comedian. Count Dankula was making a joke as the producer of a comedy vehicle. Carl Benjamin was making a statement as a political commentator, he's not a comedian.

This is what i don't get about you former free speech warriors. We all thought it was ridiculous when our courts decided that when Count Dankula repeated "gas the jews" over and over on his YouTube video that the context didn't matter (the context being he was giving his dog a command, and wasn't seriously saying we should gas the jews). But for some reason, when it's a lefty comedian you're all ******* missing when it comes to arguing that context matters. She was on a comedy programme that has the specific intent to make edgy jokes. Why the **** have all the right-wing free speech warriors done a ******* runner on this and decided to join the other side?

This kind of **** makes those of us who actually value free speech think that you ***** are only interested in defending free speech for your side.
:lol:

Claret-On-A-T-Rex

Post by Claret-On-A-T-Rex » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:41 pm

thatdberight wrote:Seriously, where does it stop? Boris Johnson is not usually referred to as "far right" but you see him thus. Where is your dividing line?

People who are homophobic, racist, islamophobic and xenophobic. i.e. Boris Johnson.

Claret-On-A-T-Rex

Post by Claret-On-A-T-Rex » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:42 pm

Wile E Coyote wrote:farage is pathetic.
Yep.

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:51 pm

Claret-On-A-T-Rex wrote:People who are homophobic, racist, islamophobic and xenophobic. i.e. Boris Johnson.
Is he homophobic (even by accusation)?

Is there anyone who might normally be considered "on the right" who isn't "far right" in your view? I was looking for an example.
Last edited by thatdberight on Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Greenmile
Been Liked: 1077 times
Has Liked: 4239 times

Post by Greenmile » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:53 pm

Wasn’t it a politician the late Linda Smith was talking about when she said “we should deny them the oxygen of oxygen”?

I don’t remember much of an uproar about that at the time. Is that because it was a funnier joke, or because we are living in different times?

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:56 pm

Greenmile wrote:Wasn’t it a politician the late Linda Smith was talking about when she said “we should deny them the oxygen of oxygen”?

I don’t remember much of an uproar about that at the time. Is that because it was a funnier joke, or because we are living in different times?
The right-wing are packed with snowflakes nowadays. They always were, but they made the rest of us think that while they were getting upset at what other people were doing in the privacy of their own bedroom, it was actually the rest of us who were the snowflakes.