Jo Brand

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Dazzler
Been Liked: 875 times
Has Liked: 2332 times

Jo Brand

Post by Dazzler » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:20 pm

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknews/b ... spartanntp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

…""Certain unpleasant characters are being thrown to the fore and they're very, very easy to hate.'And I'm kind of thinking, 'why bother with a milkshake when you could get some battery acid?'

The 'pleasant' left eh..?

Caballo
Been Liked: 420 times
Has Liked: 431 times

Re: Jo Brand

Post by Caballo » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:22 pm

It was a joke.

Falcon
Been Liked: 892 times
Has Liked: 1161 times

Post by Falcon » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:23 pm

It was a highly distasteful joke to be fair, and she's rightfully being criticised for it. Farage might be an utter bellend but nobody deserves to be pelted with acid for their politics.

However, that won't bother her at all. Like most comedians they thrive on people reacting to their 'edgy' jokes. Look at Jimmy Carr or Frankie Boyle for instance.

Imploding Turtle
Been Liked: 5483 times
Has Liked: 2540 times

Post by Imploding Turtle » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:28 pm

Comedian makes joke. But it's a far-right comedian so the right and liberals are shoulder-to-shoulder defending free speech.
Comedian makes joke. But it's a lefty comedian so the liberals are alone while the right are flipping out about hate speech and other such bullshittery.

The right can go mate with itself.

Dazzler

Post by Dazzler » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:33 pm

She's a so-called comedian so she says it was a joke.If a person who's not noted as a comedian said it it's not a joke?

Claret-On-A-T-Rex
Been Liked: 1 time
Has Liked: 826 times

Post by Claret-On-A-T-Rex » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:35 pm

Ha ha, she's brilliant.

Claret-On-A-T-Rex

Post by Claret-On-A-T-Rex » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:36 pm

Dazzler wrote: …""Certain unpleasant characters are being thrown to the fore and they're very, very easy to hate.'And I'm kind of thinking, 'why bother with a milkshake when you could get some battery acid?'

Well said Jo.

Dazzler

Post by Dazzler » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:36 pm

How would she feel if someone did actually throw battery acid over Farage?
These 2 users liked this post: elwaclaret jrtod61

conyoviejo
Been Liked: 2491 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Post by conyoviejo » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:38 pm

Dazzler wrote:How would she feel if someone did actually throw battery acid over Farage?
Fat and ugly no doubt..
These 5 users liked this post: Bordeauxclaret box_of_frogs Napoleon rincon clitheroeclaret2

Chobulous
Been Liked: 955 times
Has Liked: 11 times

Post by Chobulous » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:39 pm

Claret-On-A-T-Rex wrote:Well said Jo.
As I said on a previous thread, but worth repeating, your puerile comments come as no surprise considering your literary muse
This user liked this post: jrtod61

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:41 pm

Dazzler wrote:How would she feel if someone did actually throw battery acid over Farage?
Yes we get it was a joke admittedly not a very funny one,that being said Nigel is over-reacting by contacting the police,nobody is suggesting Jo Brand would ever attack anybody,but some nutcase inspired by her 'joke' might.

Claret-On-A-T-Rex

Post by Claret-On-A-T-Rex » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:44 pm

Chobulous wrote:As I said on a previous thread, but worth repeating, your puerile comments come as no surprise considering your literary muse
Which still doesn't make sense, on this thread or the other.

Chobulous

Post by Chobulous » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:47 pm

When your literary contribution is based on catering to 8 year-olds, it’s no surprise that you come to think and act like one.

Chobulous

Post by Chobulous » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:47 pm

Or more likely you never got above that level

Dazzler

Post by Dazzler » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:51 pm

tiger76 wrote:Yes we get it was a joke admittedly not a very funny one,that being said Nigel is over-reacting by contacting the police,nobody is suggesting Jo Brand would ever attack anybody,but some nutcase inspired by her 'joke' might.
Aye,she says it was a joke and some folk will believe it was a joke because she's known as a leftie comedian.

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2590 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:55 pm

Couple of issues here. It's not that funny, and that's the big one. If you're going to stick your neck out being 'edgy' at least make it worthwhile.

The second one is, there's absolutely no way if some s**t right wing comedian (struggling here, Lee Hurst maybe?) had said this about Corbyn the reactions of 95% of posters on here and among the public generally would be reversed.

Every single topic, we're just predictably taking sides. Farage is an absolute whopper and I quite like Jo Brand. But she's in the wrong here.

Claret-On-A-T-Rex

Post by Claret-On-A-T-Rex » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:55 pm

Chobulous wrote:Or more likely you never got above that level
HAHAHA

So you think writing children's books means you are a child?

What an idiot, like JK Rowling? Enid Blyton? JRR Tolkein? Roald Dahl?

The list goes on.

You call people peurile and you've just used the most pathetic insult I've ever heard, you write children's books so you must be like a child.

You forget to add ner ner ner ner ner at the end.

Just for your information...

"As a teacher, I feel that this would be perfect in terms of phonics work as if this story is read out loud, it offers so much in terms of sounding out vowels, consonants but also digraphs. It is very precisely written in this respect, and I can only assume that the author had this in mind when writing it. Naturally therefore it is highly educational and it is easy to see this book being used in classrooms.

'Is your name Milo? A mole enquires', is an example of how phonemes are played with to maximum effect. Children have a chance to compare the two similar soundings of the letter 'o'. However the next rhymes are 'fear', 'there's' and 'hear', allowing the child to think about the sound of the rhymes, yet seeing that the first and third word look similar and sound similar, they can see that the middle word essentially rhymes in a different way, and looks altogether different ( the consonant 'r' matches). This is a very good tactic in getting children to focus on rhyme, and looking at the grapheme and phoneme correlation, and phonetic similarities. The rhyme throughout is outstanding!"

Whoops, wonder how such a childish brain came up with such a complicated rhyme scheme.

And what about my other books? The non-children's ones, the science fiction I write for Wattpad and the How-To books about children's publishing and Fiverr?

Oshkoshclaret
Been Liked: 317 times
Has Liked: 83 times

Post by Oshkoshclaret » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:56 pm

Imagine the BBC uproar if Jim Davidson had said it about Jeremy Corbyn.
These 5 users liked this post: AndyClaret Dazzler Bosscat Stayingup elwaclaret

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:57 pm

The worst thing about this is Jo Brand being described as a comedian
These 6 users liked this post: AndyClaret Dazzler Bosscat Stayingup jrtod61 clitheroeclaret2

Greenmile
Been Liked: 1081 times
Has Liked: 4241 times

Post by Greenmile » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:00 pm

NottsClaret wrote:Couple of issues here. It's not that funny, and that's the big one. If you're going to stick your neck out being 'edgy' at least make it worthwhile.

The second one is, there's absolutely no way if some s**t right wing comedian (struggling here, Lee Hurst maybe?) had said this about Corbyn the reactions of 95% of posters on here and among the public generally would be reversed.

Every single topic, we're just predictably taking sides. Farage is an absolute whopper and I quite like Jo Brand. But she's in the wrong here.
I never knew Lee Hurst was right wing. Makes sense though - he’s not very funny is he. The Right aren’t very good at comedy generally.

NB - I don’t find Jo Brand very funny either, but I’m not clutching my pearls at an obvious joke, and wouldn’t even if Lee Hurst or Jim Davidson had said it.

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:04 pm

Dazzler wrote:She's a so-called comedian so she says it was a joke.If a person who's not noted as a comedian said it it's not a joke?
Purse clutching. The right-wing version of sandal-wearing. I'm sure bin ont turf would agree.

Count Dankula wasn't noted as a comedian, but his video was clearly a joke.
Carl Benjamin wasn't noted as a comedian, but his video was clearly a video of serious political commentary.

Can. You. See. The. *******. Difference. Yet?!

Being a comedian adds credibility to the argument that they're only making a joke, but more importantly than her being a comedian, she made the joke on a ******* comedy show, the intent of the comedy show is to make edgy/shocking/offensive jokes.

So think about it. We've got three people. Carl Benjamin, Count Dankula and Jo Brand. Two of them were making a comedy setting, one of them was making a political commentary video. All three of them made bad taste jokes. The two who made their bad-taste jokes in a comedy setting? They're fine, and the people outraged by them are morons. No one who's angry and wants to be angrier watches or listens to a ******* comedy show.

However, if you're making a political commentary video, or making any kind of political commentary, and you throw in a bad-taste joke knowing that the rest of your commentary is intended, or will have the effect of, making your audience angry, then you can't reasonably claim to be making a joke to an audience that is receptive to both the joke and the intent of it being just a joke.

Whether you like it or not, whether you're even capable of understanding this or not, the audience matters! In this instance Brand's audience was a comedy audience with no chance any of them was listening to feed their anger. However, because you pathetic little snowflakes have exploded the story now a bunch of angry people are hearing about it, and they might not take it as a joke. So if any of them decide to throw battery acid on someone as a result of this press exposure you can bet Brand will be blamed, but the real culprits will be the idiot who threw acid, and the snowflakes who turned this joke into a story.

I personally think that some of those turning this into a story want someone to use this as a catalyst to violence. Most just want to use it to suppress comedy, because it's dominated by the left and liberals, but i'm fairly confident there are some **** around who want this story to lead to a battery acid attack just so that they can use it for their own agenda.

Claret-On-A-T-Rex

Post by Claret-On-A-T-Rex » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:04 pm

Oshkoshclaret wrote:Imagine the BBC uproar if Jim Davidson had said it about Jeremy Corbyn.
Hahaha, that would be well funny too.

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1825 times
Has Liked: 929 times

Post by CombatClaret » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:05 pm

No one would care if this was Jeremy Clarkson or Frankie Boyle

Chobulous

Post by Chobulous » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:05 pm

Claret-On-A-T-Rex wrote:HAHAHA

So you think writing children's books means you are a child?

What an idiot, like JK Rowling? Enid Blyton? JRR Tolkein? Roald Dahl?

The list goes on.

You call people peurile and you've just used the most pathetic insult I've ever heard, you write children's books so you must be like a child.

You forget to add ner ner ner ner ner at the end.

Just for your information...

"As a teacher, I feel that this would be perfect in terms of phonics work as if this story is read out loud, it offers so much in terms of sounding out vowels, consonants but also digraphs. It is very precisely written in this respect, and I can only assume that the author had this in mind when writing it. Naturally therefore it is highly educational and it is easy to see this book being used in classrooms.

'Is your name Milo? A mole enquires', is an example of how phonemes are played with to maximum effect. Children have a chance to compare the two similar soundings of the letter 'o'. However the next rhymes are 'fear', 'there's' and 'hear', allowing the child to think about the sound of the rhymes, yet seeing that the first and third word look similar and sound similar, they can see that the middle word essentially rhymes in a different way, and looks altogether different ( the consonant 'r' matches). This is a very good tactic in getting children to focus on rhyme, and looking at the grapheme and phoneme correlation, and phonetic similarities. The rhyme throughout is outstanding!"

Whoops, wonder how such a childish brain came up with such a complicated rhyme scheme.

And what about my other books? The non-children's ones, the science fiction I write for Wattpad and the How-To books about children's publishing and Fiverr?
Well that got under somebody’s skin

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2317 times
Has Liked: 1399 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:07 pm

Greenmile wrote:I never knew Lee Hurst was right wing. Makes sense though - he’s not very funny is he. The Right aren’t very good at comedy generally.

No, they are too busy laughing at the comical yet delusional left.

Claret-On-A-T-Rex

Post by Claret-On-A-T-Rex » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:07 pm

Chobulous wrote:Well that got under somebody’s skin
Not one bit, I'm laughing at you, not with you. This is what I do all day, you know...writer.

You think what you say about my career makes me any poorer?

What do you do for a living by the way?

Claret-On-A-T-Rex

Post by Claret-On-A-T-Rex » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:09 pm

Chobulous wrote:Well that got under somebody’s skin
You forgot to add ner ner ner ner you intellectual giant.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:13 pm

NottsClaret wrote:Couple of issues here. It's not that funny, and that's the big one. If you're going to stick your neck out being 'edgy' at least make it worthwhile.

Boris Johnson made a racist comment - he was allowed to get away with it.
Another MP does it and they have to resign.

It happens on both sides.

Dazzler

Post by Dazzler » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:14 pm

…""'And I'm kind of thinking, 'why bother with a milkshake when you could get some battery acid?'

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: let's all roll over laughing

Elbarad
Been Liked: 147 times
Has Liked: 50 times

Post by Elbarad » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:14 pm

So jokes about lynching black people are ok too?

Greenmile

Post by Greenmile » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:17 pm

gandhisflipflop wrote:No, they are too busy laughing at the comical yet delusional left.
QED

Greenmile

Post by Greenmile » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:18 pm

Elbarad wrote:So jokes about lynching black people are ok too?
Depends on the context. Jokes about absolutely anything are ok in the right context.

Stayingup
Been Liked: 914 times
Has Liked: 2726 times

Post by Stayingup » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:23 pm

Falcon wrote:It was a highly distasteful joke to be fair, and she's rightfully being criticised for it. Farage might be an utter bellend but nobody deserves to be pelted with acid for their politics.

However, that won't bother her at all. Like most comedians they thrive on people reacting to their 'edgy' jokes. Look at Jimmy Carr or Frankie Boyle for instance.
Haha. Frankie Boyle, and Jimmy Carr and Jo Brand are about as funny as a boil up your nose. Unless of course you like jokes about the disbaled etc. If you think they are funny then I feel sorry for you, you've missed out on life in a big way.

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:25 pm

Greenmile wrote:I never knew Lee Hurst was right wing. Makes sense though - he’s not very funny is he. The Right aren’t very good at comedy generally.

NB - I don’t find Jo Brand very funny either, but I’m not clutching my pearls at an obvious joke, and wouldn’t even if Lee Hurst or Jim Davidson had said it.
It's basically political correctness that's killed right-wing stand-up. There's still plenty of funny right-wingers, but the problem with stand-up is that you have to play into your audience and write jokes that they find funny as opposed to jokes that are structurally funny (if that makes sense).

The right-wing also seems to have trouble laughing at itself compared to the left, and they take things much more personally. So it's tough for a right-wing comedian to market themselves to right-wing audiences with right-wing material because they're starting with the handicap that they can make fun of their own audience, and they can't make fund of their own audience's prejudices. So they have to instead make jokes about "others". And, believe it or not, even right-wing audiences generally have trouble finding jokes about other groups of people funny. And the ones who do aren't really the kind of people you want to make laugh.

It's an interesting topic for discussion, but not really one for this thread which is really just for right-wing hypocrites to talk with each other in their support group about where on the doll the lefty touched them.

Stayingup
Been Liked: 914 times
Has Liked: 2726 times

Post by Stayingup » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:26 pm

CombatClaret wrote:No one would care if this was Jeremy Clarkson or Frankie Boyle
Jeremy Clakson can be funny but Frankie Boyle? Do me a favour.

JohnMcGreal
Been Liked: 1344 times
Has Liked: 438 times

Post by JohnMcGreal » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:26 pm

You can't even make a joke these days without some massive snowflakes getting all offended. What happened to freedom of speech? It's PC gone mad, I tell you!
These 2 users liked this post: Imploding Turtle longsidepies

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:27 pm

JohnMcGreal wrote:You can't even make a joke these days without some massive snowflakes getting all offended. What happened to freedom of speech? It's PC gone mad, I tell you!
These days, if you say you're a comedian, you get arrested and thrown in jail.

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8429 times
Has Liked: 18098 times

Post by Bosscat » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:27 pm

How about Soldiers using pictures of Corbyn as target practise...

Oh how we laughed at that one....
These 2 users liked this post: elwaclaret Healeywoodclaret

Sproggy
Been Liked: 663 times
Has Liked: 141 times

Post by Sproggy » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:27 pm

>Boris Johnson made a racist comment - he was allowed to get away with it.

What was Boris's racist comment?

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:28 pm

Mayor Khan should employ her to improve knife crime figures.

Brand is the kind of woman that could walk into a dicey part of London at night, and reduce the crime rate.
This user liked this post: jrtod61

Long Time Lurker
Been Liked: 603 times
Has Liked: 420 times

Post by Long Time Lurker » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:30 pm

It's only a joke if it's remotely funny or witty.

Why did they throw milkshake at Farage, surely a more fitting projectile for a bell end would be cheese. Hard chedder if you are No Deal Nationalist or a soft Camembert if you want to fall into line with Europe and remain.

Okay, it's not funny, but it keeps to a dairy theme and it is topical.

The reference to acid was wrong on so many levels and it wasn't funny or witty. Jo Brand built her career on a small amount of sub par material relating to cakes and being fat. I'm surpised she still has an audience.
Last edited by Long Time Lurker on Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:31 pm

Sproggy wrote:>Boris Johnson made a racist comment - he was allowed to get away with it.

Here it is:
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... ondon.race" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Greenmile

Post by Greenmile » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:33 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:It's basically political correctness that's killed right-wing stand-up. There's still plenty of funny right-wingers, but the problem with stand-up is that you have to play into your audience and write jokes that they find funny as opposed to jokes that are structurally funny (if that makes sense).

The right-wing also seems to have trouble laughing at itself compared to the left, and they take things much more personally. So it's tough for a right-wing comedian to market themselves to right-wing audiences with right-wing material because they're starting with the handicap that they can make fun of their own audience, and they can't make fund of their own audience's prejudices. So they have to instead make jokes about "others". And, believe it or not, even right-wing audiences generally have trouble finding jokes about other groups of people funny. And the ones who do aren't really the kind of people you want to make laugh.

It's an interesting topic for discussion, but not really one for this thread which is really just for right-wing hypocrites to talk with each other in their support group about where on the doll the lefty touched them.
Who are the funny right wingers? I’m genuinely interested. Are you talking about writers etc who don’t perform stand up. Can sketch comedy (for example) be done well by right wingers - again, I’d be interested in any examples if so.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3842 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:39 pm

This board is becoming left or right, you must pick a side, and it's very sad to see.

We had the chance to separate the political threads but it hasn't been acted upon.

Claret-On-A-T-Rex

Post by Claret-On-A-T-Rex » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:40 pm

Sproggy wrote:>Boris Johnson made a racist comment - he was allowed to get away with it.

Here's a selection of his racist, islamophobic and sexist comments..

https://www.businessinsider.com/boris-j ... 019-6?IR=T" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8429 times
Has Liked: 18098 times

Post by Bosscat » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:45 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:This board is becoming left or right, you must pick a side, and it's very sad to see.

We had the chance to separate the political threads but it hasn't been acted upon.
Johnny Cash wrote a song about that...

There once was a musical troupe
A pickin' singin' folk group
They sang the mountain ballads
And the folk songs of our land
They were long on musical ability
Folks thought they would go far
But political incompatibility led to their downfall

Well, the one on the right was on the left
And the one in the middle was on the right
And the one on the left was in the middle
And the guy in the rear was a Methodist

This musical aggregation toured the entire nation
Singing the traditional ballads
And the folk songs of our land
They performed with great virtuosity
And soon they were the rage
But political animosity prevailed upon the stage

Well, the one on the right was on the left
And the one in the middle was on the right
And the one on the left was in the middle
And the guy in the rear burned his driver's license

Well the curtain had ascended
A hush fell on the crowd
As thousands there were gathered to hear the folk songs of our land
But they took their politics seriously
And that night at the concert hall
As the audience watched deliriously
They had a free-for-all

Well, the one on the right was on the bottom
And the one in the middle was on the top
And the one on the left got a broken arm
And the guy on his rear, said, "Oh dear"

Now this should be a lesson if you plan to start a folk group
Don't go mixin' politics with the folk songs of our land
Just work on harmony and diction
Play your banjo well
And if you have political convictions keep them to yourself

Now, the one on the left works in a bank
And the one in the middle drives a truck
The one on the right's an all-night deejay
And the guy in the rear got drafted
This user liked this post: Quickenthetempo

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:46 pm

Greenmile wrote:Who are the funny right wingers? I’m genuinely interested. Are you talking about writers etc who don’t perform stand up. Can sketch comedy (for example) be done well by right wingers - again, I’d be interested in any examples if so.
Yeah, I can't think of anyone in stand-up that I find funny, and identifying funny right-wingers in comedy is tough because it's often not obvious they're a right-winger, but i find Jeremy Clarkson funny. A few Tories who appear on HIGNFY I find funny, particularly Alan Duncan. But I don't know. There might be comedians who, based on their comedy, i assumed were lefties but vote for the right.

Basically, **** knows. I'm sure there are many more i find funny but can't think of them, or just don't know their politics.
This user liked this post: Greenmile

claret2018
Been Liked: 801 times
Has Liked: 26 times

Post by claret2018 » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:46 pm

Is battery acid actually dangerous?

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:48 pm

claret2018 wrote:Is battery acid actually dangerous?
I guess there's really only one way to find out.

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Thu Jun 13, 2019 4:49 pm

claret2018 wrote:Is battery acid actually dangerous?

Also... yes. Very.
This user liked this post: Martinc265