Jo Brand

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3146 times
Has Liked: 10202 times

Re: Jo Brand

Post by evensteadiereddie » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:37 pm

Damo wrote:Nice one eddy
Your wasted on here pal (not as in drunk wasted. I know it's a bit early for that. You will be grafting until later wont you?)

No, day off today and all is well.
This user liked this post: Damo

Imploding Turtle
Been Liked: 5483 times
Has Liked: 2540 times

Post by Imploding Turtle » Fri Jun 14, 2019 12:37 pm

AndyClaret wrote:The old "answer my specific question trick" works every time.

I don't think it's unreasonable for someone to expect the person they're talking to to know what the name of the programme is that they are so angry about that they want it to be cancelled.
And if asking people such easy questions works every time in demonstrating that the caller doesn't have a ******* clue about even the most basic facts of their own argument, then that's not James O'Brien's problem, that's a problem for those morons making arguments from ignorance.

AndrewJB
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by AndrewJB » Fri Jun 14, 2019 1:04 pm

Here’s Farage standing up for the rights of people to listen to distasteful comedy: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.indepe ... html%3famp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

CombatClaret
Been Liked: 1825 times
Has Liked: 929 times

Post by CombatClaret » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:17 pm

AndrewJB wrote:Here’s Farage standing up for the rights of people to listen to distasteful comedy: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.indepe ... html%3famp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

"We are heading down a road here where we would kill all humour in this country if we tear things to pieces. Enough is enough, let people tell their jokes. If what they say is inappropriate they won't earn a living because they won't get booked again.” - Nigel Farage

AndyClaret
Been Liked: 217 times
Has Liked: 543 times

Post by AndyClaret » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:34 pm

AndrewJB wrote:Here’s Farage standing up for the rights of people to listen to distasteful comedy: https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.indepe ... html%3famp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This I agree with.

Inchy
Been Liked: 1332 times
Has Liked: 95 times

Post by Inchy » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:39 pm

Its a joke, not a very good one, but a joke.

Nothing wrong with what she said in the right context, which it was, on a comedy show. Clearly she wasn’t being serious.

I have heard comedians tell jokes about the holocaust, child sex abuse, cancer, etc etc. If it’s in the right contexts it fine.

Any joke is fine by me if it comes from the right place. Racist joke are not fine for example because generally they come from the wrong place. But jokes about racism is fine.

I don’t find Brand funny but I’m ****** off she said sorry.

Inchy
Been Liked: 1332 times
Has Liked: 95 times

Post by Inchy » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:42 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:The problem with Carr and Boyle isn't that their jokes are edgy, it's that too often they go immediately for the shock of an edgy joke instead of disguising the jokes edgy nature to catch the audience off guard. It's still often funny, without being hilarious, but it's pretty lazy and predictable. It's like a scene in a horror movie that deliberately leads you to believe you're about to be made to jump, and then it tries to make you jump. Sure, sometimes you still jump but you weren't caught off guard, or shocked.

Edgy jokes can be brilliant though, and one of my favourite examples is a Norm McDonald joke. With this joke he could have just left it at "the math was done by a woman" and it would have been a lame, lazy, edgy joke about being sexist. But what he does with that lame joke is, to me, brilliant. https://9gag.com/gag/aY4KzvN/norm-mcdonald-women-vs-men" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Another example of an edgy joke I love is a Bob Monkhouse joke (famous edgelord that he was). I couldn't find a clip of it so i'll just quote it. "When I die I want to go peacefully like my grandfather - in my sleep. Not screaming and terrified like his passengers."

These two jokes are both edgy jokes about sexism and manslaughter, but i think they're brilliant because they lead you in one direction so they disarm you somewhat before slapping you with the punchline while you're looking the other way. The problem with Carr, Brand, and Boyle is that too often they don't manipulate you into not expecting the punchline. They're still funny, i think, but also predictable.
Have you listened to Boyles podcast. It’s only one episode and about 3 hours long. I think you would like it. It’s really good

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5000 times
Has Liked: 6715 times

Post by bfcjg » Fri Jun 14, 2019 7:54 pm

I've never actually found her funny.

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:04 pm

Horrible obnoxious fat cow
This user liked this post: Healeywoodclaret

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:29 pm

Top Claret wrote:Horrible obnoxious fat cow
Your opinion on this will be fascinating. What do you think about her "joke". Should she be fired over it?

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:41 am

Oh boy. I love that all he Farage jokes are coming out (ha!) now that he's opposed to people making offensive jokes.

Here's one about drowning gay people.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3HB77S ... e=youtu.be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Of course, no one's saying drowning gay people is funny, and Farage isn't advocating it. But, applying his logic about what's appropriate to joke about then surely he'll be apologising for it.

Calling them "fags" though? Surely we're past that as a society.

AndyClaret
Been Liked: 217 times
Has Liked: 543 times

Post by AndyClaret » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:01 am

Imploding Turtle wrote:Oh boy. I love that all he Farage jokes are coming out (ha!) now that he's opposed to people making offensive jokes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3HB77S ... e=youtu.be" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Of course, no one's saying drowning gay people is funny, and Farage isn't advocating it. But, applying his logic about what's appropriate to joke about then surely he'll be apologising for it.

You do know that was a best man speech from 20 years ago ? BTW i agree Farage is wrong to call for action against Jo Brand.

Healeywoodclaret
Been Liked: 259 times
Has Liked: 779 times

Post by Healeywoodclaret » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:23 pm

Caballo wrote:It was a joke.
Some joke. Evil Bitch. Her career should be over. Wonder what Katie Piper thinks of the "joke"?

Healeywoodclaret
Been Liked: 259 times
Has Liked: 779 times

Post by Healeywoodclaret » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:35 pm

JohnMcGreal wrote:You can't even make a joke these days without some massive snowflakes getting all offended. What happened to freedom of speech? It's PC gone mad, I tell you!
Freedom of speech? Only if you are so far Left you can't stand up straight.

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:53 pm

With Farage so tetchy about what a comedian has said about him, can you imagine what he might be like holding actual power?

Caballo
Been Liked: 420 times
Has Liked: 431 times

Post by Caballo » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:22 pm

Healeywoodclaret wrote:Some joke. Evil Bitch. Her career should be over. Wonder what Katie Piper thinks of the "joke"?
I never said it was funny! It was still a joke non the less.

thatdberight
Been Liked: 927 times
Has Liked: 716 times

Post by thatdberight » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:30 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:Oh boy. I love that all he Farage jokes are coming out (ha!) now that he's opposed to people making offensive jokes.

But at least it is a joke - which distinguishes it from Brand's comment. He's taken a word and used it to have two meanings and referenced a current news item in the twist. It's not very funny and, as you say, one of the meanings may be considered offensive but it at least has a construction that makes it a "joke". No-one has been able to explain Brand's joke other than that it would be funny to throw acid at Farage, Robinson etc. Because there is nothing else to it. That's why it's problematic to come up with a rationale to defend it. Unless you think acid-throwing is OK if it's at the right people.

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:31 pm

Caballo wrote:I never said it was funny! It was still a joke non the less.
I'll give you a chance as well then. What is the "joke"? I know it will lose its humour in the explanation but please describe the joke.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6891 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:50 pm

thatdberight wrote:I'll give you a chance as well then. What is the "joke"? I know it will lose its humour in the explanation but please describe the joke.
The joke being that Farage is so despicable that he would be more deserving of battery acid being thrown at him than milkshake. Not sure how or why that needs explaining. It was very poorly, if at all considered and also not very funny. Obviously a joke nonetheless though.

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Sat Jun 15, 2019 4:56 pm

Rileybobs wrote:The joke being that Farage is so despicable that he would be more deserving of battery acid being thrown at him than milkshake. Not sure how or why that needs explaining. It was very poorly, if at all considered and also not very funny. Obviously a joke nonetheless though.
OK. You have a different definition of a joke than me. I'd call that either abuse or political commentary.

If I responded to you (or any other poster on any subject) with, "You're a **** and I hope you die a long, slow painful death.", is that a joke? That seems to me to share the same characteristics as Brand's comment. I don't think it's a joke. Just abuse. I'd expect to get banned here.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:02 pm

thatdberight wrote:OK. You have a different definition of a joke than me. I'd call that either abuse or political commentary.

If I responded to you (or any other poster on any subject) with, "You're a **** and I hope you die a long, slow painful death.", is that a joke? That seems to me to share the same characteristics as Brand's comment. I don't think it's a joke. Just abuse. I'd expect to get banned here.
Well firstly Brand didn’t wish death upon anyone as far as I can tell. If you said you hoped I died a slow painful death but didn’t mean it then of course it would be a joke. I’m pretty confident that Brand doesn’t actually want anyone to throw acid on anyone else - so on that basis what she said was a joke. Not a funny joke, but still a joke.
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:04 pm

Rileybobs wrote:Well firstly Brand didn’t wish death upon anyone as far as I can tell. If you said you hoped I died a slow painful death but didn’t mean it then of course it would be a joke. I’m pretty confident that Brand doesn’t actually want anyone to throw acid on anyone else - so on that basis what she said was a joke. Not a funny joke, but still a joke.
OK. We'll have to agree to disagree, then. I still can't see how, unless you find the idea of someone getting acid thrown at them funny, Brand can be said to have made a joke.

evensteadiereddie

Post by evensteadiereddie » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:06 pm

Healeywoodclaret wrote:Would you say that if it was you or one of yours? What an utter W@nker you are. Will Katie Piper say well said Bitch? I doubt it.

Blimey, Healey, your arse really is giving you some gyp, isn't it ? :lol:
This user liked this post: Claret-On-A-T-Rex

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 1983 times
Has Liked: 2872 times

Post by elwaclaret » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:06 pm

David Baddiel defended Brand by quoting one of her stock gags - the way to a mans hart is through the breast with a bread knife.

While this is edgy, it could not be construed as an excitement... had she left it at “some politicians” there would be no great outcry... just Jo Brand looking to regain her cutting edge. Naming Farage was incredibly dumb for someone who let’s be honest has been around long enough, and is certainly not a violent woman in reality. However it did border on ‘incitement’ and is rightly being looked at very seriously.

I’m pretty sure should an acid attack result Brand would be horrified to be taken literally, but that is the risk she chose to take after getting away with something very similar earlier in the week on “Have I Got News for you”.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:07 pm

thatdberight wrote:OK. We'll have to agree to disagree, then. I still can't see how, unless you find the idea of someone getting acid thrown at them funny, Brand can be said to have made a joke.
If I said that the contestants of Love Island should be shot would that not be seen as a joke? How about if i said that someone should chin Nick Knowles?

You don’t have to find the idea of those things happening to anybody funny for it to be a joke.

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6463 times
Has Liked: 2896 times

Post by Steve1956 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:12 pm

Rileybobs wrote:If I said that the contestants of Love Island should be shot would that not be seen as a joke? How about if i said that someone should chin Nick Knowles?

You don’t have to find the idea of those things happening to anybody funny for it to be a joke.
Don't think anyone would take offence at anybody suggesting Nick Knowles needs chinning.

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:17 pm

Rileybobs wrote:If I said that the contestants of Love Island should be shot would that not be seen as a joke? How about if i said that someone should chin Nick Knowles?

No. They're not jokes. They may fit one criterion in that they are not, I'm sure, serious views but they lack any of the other structural elements.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:20 pm

thatdberight wrote:No. They're not jokes. They may fit one criterion in that they are not, I'm sure, serious views but they lack any of the other structural elements.
A joke doesn’t need structure. According to the dictionary (I can’t believe I even need to consult the dictionary for a definition), a joke is ‘a thing that someone says to cause amusement or laughter’.

If I said that someone should chin Nick Knowles, I would be doing this to cause amusement. I wouldn’t actually want someone to chin Nick Knowles, I would be using the scenario to display my dislike of him.

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:22 pm

elwaclaret wrote:David Baddiel defended Brand by quoting one of her stock gags - the way to a mans hart is through the breast with a bread knife.

While this is edgy, it could not be construed as an excitement... had she left it at “some politicians” there would be no great outcry... just Jo Brand looking to regain her cutting edge. Naming Farage was incredibly dumb for someone who let’s be honest has been around long enough, and is certainly not a violent woman in reality. However it did border on ‘incitement’ and is rightly being looked at very seriously.

I’m pretty sure should an acid attack result Brand would be horrified to be taken literally, but that is the risk she chose to take after getting away with something very similar earlier in the week on “Have I Got News for you”.
I don't believe she named Farage - her comments were made when he, Robinson and Sargon were all getting milkshook.

The joke Baddiel references is entirely different. Yes, it's violent but, firstly, the object is completely generic and secondly (and more importantly) there's a very obvious comic twist in taking an existing saying, taking us so far into it with the obvious implication that she was talking about gaining a man's affections... and then a complete 180. That's a joke. It's then up to the listener as to whether it's funny (it is in my opinion).

Corky
Been Liked: 535 times
Has Liked: 414 times

Post by Corky » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:40 pm

It was interesting seeing some of the content of the rescheduled HIGNFY given the battery acid comment that she had made thereafter.

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Sat Jun 15, 2019 5:43 pm

Rileybobs wrote:A joke doesn’t need structure. According to the dictionary (I can’t believe I even need to consult the dictionary for a definition), a joke is ‘a thing that someone says to cause amusement or laughter’.

If I said that someone should chin Nick Knowles, I would be doing this to cause amusement. I wouldn’t actually want someone to chin Nick Knowles, I would be using the scenario to display my dislike of him.
OK. Then, in order to be consistent, I'd have to accept pretty much anything as "a joke" if defined that way by the speaker. If the definition is so broad, the flip side is that, "It's a joke" can't carry any weight as a defence against censure. Which seems to me even less helpful. Jokes should be subject to a higher threshold before they are deemed offensive - but if I can claim anything I say as "a joke" because I intended it to be amusing, that falls.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:00 pm

thatdberight wrote:OK. Then, in order to be consistent, I'd have to accept pretty much anything as "a joke" if defined that way by the speaker. If the definition is so broad, the flip side is that, "It's a joke" can't carry any weight as a defence against censure. Which seems to me even less helpful. Jokes should be subject to a higher threshold before they are deemed offensive - but if I can claim anything I say as "a joke" because I intended it to be amusing, that falls.
It's not my definition of a joke though, saying something to cause amusement is exactly what a joke is.

Considering the climate, Brand was stupid to say what she did, and she should be reprimanded by the BBC. The comments were clearly not incitement to violence though, in the same way that my comments about Nick Knowles aren't. And that's why the matter has been dropped by the police.

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:24 pm

Rileybobs wrote:The comments were clearly not incitement to violence though, in the same way that my comments about Nick Knowles aren't. And that's why the matter has been dropped by the police.
On that at least, we agree. Her comments were clearly not a police matter as things stand.

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Sat Jun 15, 2019 8:46 pm

thatdberight wrote:But at least it is a joke - which distinguishes it from Brand's comment.

So you think that Jo Brand is seriously calling for people to throw battery acid at politicians? Seriously? That's your argument?

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:44 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:So you think that Jo Brand is seriously calling for people to throw battery acid at politicians? Seriously? That's your argument?
No. But then, if you could read my comment, oh, all of two comments ago, you'd know that. When you foam at the mouth, maybe it gets hard to see through the spittle. I don't know.

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Sat Jun 15, 2019 9:57 pm

thatdberight wrote:No. But then, if you could read my comment, oh, all of two comments ago, you'd know that. When you foam at the mouth, maybe it gets hard to see through the spittle. I don't know.
So if you know she wasn't serious then you know that her comment was non-serious. So what's another word for a non-serious comment? I'll give youa hint, the one i'm thinking of is 4 letters and begins with a J.

basil6345789
Been Liked: 481 times
Has Liked: 2289 times

Post by basil6345789 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:03 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:So you think that Jo Brand is seriously calling for people to throw battery acid at politicians? Seriously? That's your argument?
No but she knows only too well that there are nutters about who'd take her at her word.
Look what happened to the MP Cox - some idiot got wound up about her wearing a headscarf - there are some real head cases about these days - don't encourage them

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:10 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:So if you know she wasn't serious then you know that her comment was non-serious. So what's another word for a non-serious comment? I'll give youa hint, the one i'm thinking of is 4 letters and begins with a J.
Jerk.

I already said, "Brand's joke only works..." Not whether it's funny or not but conceptually. The only element it has is the concept of throwing acid at people. That's the "joke". It has nothing else. That's what she wished people to find funny. Repeated attempts to elicit from those supporting the joke an outline of its other content have come to nothing. Perhaps you'll reveal it now. (I don't mean that - you won't).

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:37 pm

thatdberight wrote:Jerk.

I already said, "Brand's joke only works..." Not whether it's funny or not but conceptually. The only element it has is the concept of throwing acid at people. That's the "joke". It has nothing else. That's what she wished people to find funny. Repeated attempts to elicit from those supporting the joke an outline of its other content have come to nothing. Perhaps you'll reveal it now. (I don't mean that - you won't).

You said this:

"But at least it is a joke - which distinguishes it from Brand's comment."

Do you see why when someone reads this and sees that you are distinguishing a joke from what Brand said that someone could think you consider Brand's comment not to be a joke?

You literally said that it is distinguished FROM a joke, ergo you said it wasn't a joke. Maybe instead of getting all upset that anyone could possibly think you thought she wasn't joking maybe look at what you yourself said and see how someone else could read from it that that's what you meant since you literally ******* said it. :roll:

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:45 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:You said this:

"But at least it is a joke - which distinguishes it from Brand's comment."

Do you see why when someone reads this and sees that you are distinguishing a joke from what Brand said that someone could think you consider Brand's comment not to be a joke?

You literally said that it is distinguished FROM a joke, ergo you said it wasn't a joke. Maybe instead of getting all upset that anyone could possibly think you thought she wasn't joking maybe look at what you yourself said and see how someone else could read from it that that's what you meant since you literally ******* said it. :roll:
And still no response to the substantial point. Of course.

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Sat Jun 15, 2019 10:53 pm

thatdberight wrote:And still no response to the substantial point. Of course.
You are not the person who decides what does or doesn't work as a joke. The opposite of serious is non-serious. Another word for non-serious is "joke". Whether it's funny or not, whether it "works" as a joke, doesn't matter.

thatdberight

Post by thatdberight » Sat Jun 15, 2019 11:03 pm

Imploding Turtle wrote:You are not the person who decides what does or doesn't work as a joke.
Yes I am.
This user liked this post: Imploding Turtle

Dazzler
Been Liked: 874 times
Has Liked: 2332 times

Post by Dazzler » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:49 am

Inchy wrote:Its a joke, not a very good one, but a joke.

Nothing wrong with what she said in the right context, which it was, on a comedy show. Clearly she wasn’t being serious.
How does anyone know she never actually thought when watching the news,why waste a delicious milkshake when you could have used battery acid?

Imploding Turtle

Post by Imploding Turtle » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:23 am

Dazzler wrote:How does anyone know she never actually thought when watching the news,why waste a delicious milkshake when you could have used battery acid?

She didn't say it on the news, she said it on a comedy programme. It's the hysterical right that put it on the news.

AndrewJB

Post by AndrewJB » Sun Jun 16, 2019 6:46 am

It worked as a joke. The audience laughed.
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

Caballo
Been Liked: 420 times
Has Liked: 431 times

Post by Caballo » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:37 am

thatdberight wrote:I'll give you a chance as well then. What is the "joke"? I know it will lose its humour in the explanation but please describe the joke.
Thanks! I don't really need a chance, the jokes quite obvious. Perhaps we should reduce everything to 'knock, knock" as precursor, that way everyone will understand.

taio
Been Liked: 3220 times
Has Liked: 340 times

Post by taio » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:47 am

AndrewJB wrote:It worked as a joke. The audience laughed.
I'm sure you'd have held the same view had it been aimed at Corbyn.

evensteadiereddie

Post by evensteadiereddie » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:54 am

If it had been aimed at Corbyn, a different group would have found the joke amusing, another group wouldn't.
And ?

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5000 times
Has Liked: 6715 times

Post by bfcjg » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:55 am

Thanks! I don't really need a chance, the jokes quite obvious. Perhaps we should reduce everything to 'knock, knock" as precursor, that way everyone will understand.

Knock knock?
Who's there?
Jo Brand
Jo Brand who?
Jo Brand who incites acid attacks but because she is a darling of the BBC, the left leaning judiciary and consummate remainer gets off with it.
Still not funny.
Last edited by bfcjg on Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.

evensteadiereddie

Post by evensteadiereddie » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:57 am

Bingo !

You're joking, right ?