Change of approach for policing football in South Yorkshire

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32237 times
Has Liked: 5253 times

Change of approach for policing football in South Yorkshire

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:13 am

This after incidents at the Leppings Lane end of Hillsborough last season

http://bit.ly/2ZukCnb" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1746 times
Has Liked: 344 times

Re: Change of approach for policing football in South Yorkshire

Post by claptrappers_union » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:22 am

“South Yorkshire police is to change its approach to policing football after an internal review following its operation at the Sheffield derby in March, which was heavily criticised by supporters as heavy-handed, violent and dangerous.”

That’s police numbers down then. How are they going to find new recruits if they can’t have a good old argey-bargey. Still, plenty of doorman jobs and I think G4S are looking people as well.

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3146 times
Has Liked: 10202 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:31 am

You'd have hoped that this force and its commanders - of all people - might just have learned a little from the events of the past 30 years.
I don't suppose any officers of any rank will be charged for these attacks or incompetence.

NL Claret
Been Liked: 515 times
Has Liked: 209 times

Post by NL Claret » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:33 am

The SY PD and West Midlands PD were very never shy back in the day. South Yorkshire usually won the award for the most unsavoury and brutal. I think it was Rotherham away, the week after Hillsboro that Claret Tony briefed us youngsters on the coach about the police, "they be like a cat on a hot tin roof".

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1746 times
Has Liked: 344 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:44 am

“One supporter said of police officers: “Had no idea what they were doing. Swinging batons at anyone they pleased.” Another said that officers were “hitting people with batons when they tried to move in the crush of people,” and described that as “legalised assault”.”

How do these pigs sleep at night? Scumbags. They’re are employed to protect us, not attack us with weapons.

arise_sir_charge
Been Liked: 1768 times
Has Liked: 41 times

Post by arise_sir_charge » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:55 am

I recall the police being a bit giddy when we played Sheff Utd with Gazza in the team.

I was in Sheffield early with mates who were at University over that way and the walk from town to the ground was a bit lively. The police were pushing us to the turnstiles using police horses. It was all very dangerous and heavy handed.

That said, it was chaos after the game.

shulgin
Been Liked: 54 times
Has Liked: 37 times

Post by shulgin » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:12 pm

I was there at that Sheffield match also. We had four pints before the game. Police at turnstile asked to see our tickets and ripped them up saying we were drunk. When we tried to explain we weren't they threatened to arrest us. Disgusting. Wrote to the fuzz to complain, needless to say there was no reply.

bfccrazy
Been Liked: 2103 times
Has Liked: 416 times

Post by bfccrazy » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:15 pm

claptrappers_union wrote:“One supporter said of police officers: “Had no idea what they were doing. Swinging batons at anyone they pleased.” Another said that officers were “hitting people with batons when they tried to move in the crush of people,” and described that as “legalised assault”.”

How do these pigs sleep at night? Scumbags. They’re are employed to protect us, not attack us with weapons.
Same happened at Preston other year when Barton scored.

Entered the turnstiles and was met by police officers telling us to get up onto the stand and out of the concourse...... whilst they were in front of us to get there .....

Ended up with bruises all over my legs and a steward giving me their details and saying they’d be a witness if I wanted to press charges.

ten bellies
Been Liked: 237 times
Has Liked: 1283 times

Post by ten bellies » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:20 pm

claptrappers_union wrote:“One supporter said of police officers: “Had no idea what they were doing. Swinging batons at anyone they pleased.” Another said that officers were “hitting people with batons when they tried to move in the crush of people,” and described that as “legalised assault”.”

They are not there to protect 'us', they are there to protect 'them'.

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3170 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Sun Jun 16, 2019 12:20 pm

bfccrazy wrote:Same happened at Preston other year when Barton scored.

Entered the turnstiles and was met by police officers telling us to get up onto the stand and out of the concourse...... whilst they were in front of us to get there .....

Ended up with bruises all over my legs and a steward giving me their details and saying they’d be a witness if I wanted to press charges.

Deepdale was ridiculous that season.
3 “robocops” stood across the bottom of the stairs telling us to get to our seats but not leaving enough space to get pass

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Sun Jun 16, 2019 3:42 pm

wilks_bfc wrote:Deepdale was ridiculous that season.
3 “robocops” stood across the bottom of the stairs telling us to get to our seats but not leaving enough space to get pass
Didn't the police attack stoke city fans at deepdale lasts year..? And let's not forget the Brutality handed out at turf moor against Blackburn at the final whistle.....this sh!ts been going on for years.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32237 times
Has Liked: 5253 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:00 pm

NL Claret wrote:The SY PD and West Midlands PD were very never shy back in the day. South Yorkshire usually won the award for the most unsavoury and brutal. I think it was Rotherham away, the week after Hillsboro that Claret Tony briefed us youngsters on the coach about the police, "they be like a cat on a hot tin roof".
We were at Rotherham a week later and the St John’s Ambulance team came out and stood in front of us for the minute’s silence. They were the same people who had been on duty a week earlier at Hillsborough.

The South Yorkshire were among the worst for years and I’ve been to games in their area when they’ve caused problems.

Let’s hope that last season’s Sheffield derby really will be a turning point.

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:09 pm

ClaretTony wrote:We were at Rotherham a week later and the St John’s Ambulance team came out and stood in front of us for the minute’s silence. They were the same people who had been on duty a week earlier at Hillsborough.

The South Yorkshire were among the worst for years and I’ve been to games in their area when they’ve caused problems.

Let’s hope that last season’s Sheffield derby really will be a turning point.
I wouldn't bet on it.....

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1778 times
Has Liked: 1773 times

Post by dougcollins » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:32 pm

NL Claret wrote:The SY PD and West Midlands PD were very never shy back in the day. South Yorkshire usually won the award for the most unsavoury and brutal. I think it was Rotherham away, the week after Hillsboro that Claret Tony briefed us youngsters on the coach about the police, "they be like a cat on a hot tin roof".

I never knew CT was from Devon.
These 3 users liked this post: elwaclaret DCWat ClaretTony