Burnley Express Tuesday edition to go

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32238 times
Has Liked: 5254 times

Burnley Express Tuesday edition to go

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:19 pm

JPI who own the Burnley Express are shutting down some local papers. The Burnley Express to continue in print but apparently only the Friday edition.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Re: Burnley Express Tuesday edition to go

Post by TVC15 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:22 pm

It’s a shame but we could be nearing the end of a great local institution.
Way of the world unfortunately - for whatever reason people prefer to subscribe to rubbish like the daily mail online
These 2 users liked this post: Claret-On-A-T-Rex Cirrus_Minor

Wokingclaret
Been Liked: 292 times
Has Liked: 766 times

Post by Wokingclaret » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:35 pm

We used to get it posted up to Guisborough, arrived Wednesday morning and the Friday edition on the Saturday if you were lucky.

Was vital back in the day of the 80's and 90's

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 1985 times
Has Liked: 2875 times

Post by elwaclaret » Mon Jun 17, 2019 9:48 pm

It seems strange that having fought so long against the tide, more local papers are still closing editions. Hard to hear above the Brexit din, but pressure is building for massive rate reductions for retailers, making the high street an option for local traders to spring up again. With so much heading back into “community” living again, you’d think they’d be rubbing their hands at having weathered the storm.

LS7
Been Liked: 125 times
Has Liked: 76 times

Post by LS7 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:10 pm

Amazing they have lasted so long, but inevitable.

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1747 times
Has Liked: 345 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:18 pm

Local papers are going online.

But the Burnley Express online is dreadful. Click bait mostly, shoddy reporting, poor images. Just shut the whole thing down.

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Mon Jun 17, 2019 10:21 pm

Talking of newspapers if any of you are in Cornwall or Devon over a weekend the Independent a Sunday news and sports paper is well worth getting at £1.50 especially in the football season. The coverage and quality really is impressive on all sports

NL Claret
Been Liked: 515 times
Has Liked: 209 times

Post by NL Claret » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:27 pm

The local press has sadly gone into massive decline since the growth of social media.

Used to love the The Pink :D on a Saturday evening, you had to queue up to make sure you got a copy. Would read it from cover to cover. Wouldn't bother clicking on the Burnley express website and living in the Bury the Bury Times used to be a must on a Friday, last bought it about 10 years ago and there wasn't enough content to last a good dump.

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2887 times
Has Liked: 1760 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:42 pm

wont be missed, was great in its day though. generally local stuff is dull and as mentioned the online version is crap.
I wish radio lancs would just fade away in a similar fashion, that has to be one of THE worst local stations in this country.

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2307 times
Has Liked: 1033 times

Post by Clarets4me » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:12 am

JPI, who own the Burnley Express, is the " Phoenix " company, founded in November last year, after Johnston Press folded under the weight of it's debts. The new Company was formed by the four main Creditors, who then injected £35m, whilst dumping the Johnston Press Pension Scheme, on to the Government's Pension Protection Fund, with an estimated shortfall of £109m, which the tax-payer will have to cover.

The " Express " moved out of it's old offices, ( on the corner of Manchester Road & Bull Street ) in September 2016, and is now run from a small suite of offices in a Business Centre in Rosegrove. The Bull Street premises have been converted to small retail units, and 14 flats. The " Clitheroe Advertiser ", " Barnoldswick & Earby Times ", " Nelson Leader " and " Colne Times " are all published from the same place .The " Nelson Leader's " old office on Scotland Road, was sold in January 2014, and is now a Blinds shop, and the " Clitheroe Advertiser's " office on King Street ( vacated in October 2014 ), has been demolished to make way for flats and 2 retail units.

I have some sympathy for the few remaining staff, including the Editor, Chris Daggett, who I believe edits all 5 titles. However, the content is now very thin ( unless you enjoy lengthy pieces on local history ), the letters page often lifts letters written to the Yorkshire Post & Blackpool Gazette, publishing them as " via E-mail ", and, of course, Julie Cooper MP gets her free half page self-promotion every Friday. As others have stated, the website is very poor and slow.

In time, I suspect it may amalgamate the titles to be the " East Lancashire " Express, with local news pages relating to Burnley, Pendle, Clitheroe etc, before either going on-line with no print copy, or just giving up the ghost completely ..

Hendrickxz
Been Liked: 200 times
Has Liked: 44 times

Post by Hendrickxz » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:07 am

Well, that's Roger Frost's workload halved at a stroke I think he generates more than anyone who actually works there! As said, ther "news" content is very thin on the ground and seems to be mostly generated by unpaid "correspondents"

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:27 am

Clarets4me wrote:The " Express " moved out of it's old offices, ( on the corner of Manchester Road & Bull Street ) in September 2016, and is now run from a small suite of offices in a Business Centre in Rosegrove.
Many of the staff moved to Broughton, Preston some time before the offices on Manchester Road/Bull Street were closed down. When they were, the remaining small number of staff were moved to the office block across from Sycamore Farm on Liverpool Road. I thought I read recently that they were moving from there too and there would be no staff remaining in Burnley at all.

longsidetrumpet
Been Liked: 217 times
Has Liked: 33 times

Post by longsidetrumpet » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:26 pm

Yes, I thought I'd heard the remaining reporting staff were moving from Rosegrove, but to somewhere smaller (and cheaper) but still in the town. Having worked in the industry for almost 50 years newspapers closing/losing editions is no surprise to me. For a large variety of reasons local newspapers have merely gone the way of other industries,such as textiles and mining in this neck of the woods.
The massive blows for papers were the arrival of the internet, pinching its audience, and the credit crunch, blitzing its advertisement revenues. Add that to short-sighted management and stingy owners, and the current situation has become inevitable.
Working in newspapers was a great job, and still is for the dwindling few, but I'm glad I'm not 30 again fearing what the future might hold, while being sh&t on from a great height by the bosses at regular intervals.

Foulthrow
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 1518 times

Post by Foulthrow » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:00 pm

The problem in journalism is that people (me included!) expect to get everything for free. I’m sure all national newspapers are struggling to sell print editions never mind at a local level.

When you add into that mix the general breakdown of local communities alongside a more transitory population people will be less and less interested in what’s happening locally.

Cajun
Been Liked: 243 times
Has Liked: 335 times

Post by Cajun » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:14 am

As a former longtime regional journalist it makes me sad to witness the continued contraction of the newspaper industry. I don't think a single office I was based in still exists as it did when I was there. (Or maybe I had that impact on them.....) Glad I got my time in before the electronic media became so dominant. As the industry developed, both back in the UK and then here in the USA, I always found it weird to be editing/designing content for numerous different regional papers hundreds of miles away from where I was working. It's also why mistakes are so prevalent now - in my last few years in the business for instance, I was editing stories, and writing headlines and photo captions, for sports such as ice hockey of which i have no interest or knowledge; or news stories concerning areas I knew nothing about.

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2307 times
Has Liked: 1033 times

Post by Clarets4me » Wed Jun 19, 2019 12:32 am

Foulthrow wrote:The problem in journalism is that people (me included!) expect to get everything for free. I’m sure all national newspapers are struggling to sell print editions never mind at a local level. When you add into that mix the general breakdown of local communities alongside a more transitory population people will be less and less interested in what’s happening locally.
You make an excellent point about people now want things for free, especially news. However, I think people are still interested in local news and happenings, but it's just that they get that information from Social media instead. If there's a bad traffic accident locally, then it's on your F/B or Twitter page in minutes, or if someone dies, it's shared very quickly by family & friends, you don't wait to read the obituary in Friday's local paper ...
This user liked this post: Foulthrow

mikeS
Been Liked: 650 times
Has Liked: 25 times

Post by mikeS » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:57 am

A shame if the Tuesday edition is to end, but that might make the Friday edition better value.

Suratclaret
Been Liked: 332 times
Has Liked: 787 times

Post by Suratclaret » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:37 am

It's always a shame when local papers disappear but I suspect that within ten years very few, if any, will still exist. Like local museums,you see things and read about topics that wouldn't see the light of day in a national paper or museum. Foulthrow is spot on with the comment about local communities.
This user liked this post: Foulthrow

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1747 times
Has Liked: 345 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:05 pm

It’s the online platforms that annoy me though. The pop-ups, the ‘continue reading’ buttons, the surveys, the adverts that automatically play, the 1 minute adverts before 10 sec video clip, the slow loading times, accepting cookies... **** um. Good riddance.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:07 pm

I’ve totally given up with the website now.

Billy Balfour
Been Liked: 1857 times
Has Liked: 652 times

Post by Billy Balfour » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:36 pm

ClaretTony wrote:I’ve totally given up with the website now.
A headline today: Shock for Burnley as one of biggest high street names announces closure of 200 stores

I thought the main Boots store on St James Street was being closed. I know this would be a blow and a 'shock' for the town centre, especially with regards to potential footfall - so I read the article and it's pure conjecture and clickbait. It's a shame as to what it has become. I avoid clickbait sites so that's it for me.

https://bit.ly/2Xlab8S

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:41 pm

Billy Balfour wrote:A headline today: Shock for Burnley as one of biggest high street names announces closure of 200 stores

I thought the main Boots store on St James Street was being closed. I know this would be a blow and a 'shock' for the town centre, especially with regards to potential footfall - so I read the article and it's pure conjecture and clickbait. It's a shame as to what it has become. I avoid clickbait sites so that's it for me.

https://bit.ly/2Xlab8S
It’s absolutely horrendous now, almost as hideous as the Lancs Live site. That’s not journalism.

Such a shame for what was once an excellent local paper.
This user liked this post: Billy Balfour

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3841 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:51 pm

They get most of their content from social media and write articles as theirs.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Jul 03, 2019 6:56 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:They get most of their content from social media and write articles as theirs.
That is sadly the world now with the click bait stuff

theroyaldyche
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 245 times

Post by theroyaldyche » Wed Jul 03, 2019 7:12 pm

Burnley express online is terrible