Platini detained

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32238 times
Has Liked: 5255 times

Platini detained

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:37 am

Michel Platini has been detained by the French authorities on suspicion of corruption over the 2022 World Cup
These 8 users liked this post: Rick_Muller Juan Tanamera CoolClaret DAVETHEVICAR dougcollins Dark Cloud Oshkoshclaret Suratclaret

Funkydrummer
Been Liked: 2949 times
Has Liked: 2063 times

Re: Platini detained

Post by Funkydrummer » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:39 am

Just one of many pigs at the trough.

Hope he's put away for a long time.
These 2 users liked this post: FactualFrank Steve1956

Buxtonclaret
Been Liked: 3750 times
Has Liked: 7520 times

Post by Buxtonclaret » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:42 am

He is just one of many.
But if he's anything like as much 'dirt' to throw around at the 'Estsblishment' and political spectrum as Septic had, it'll be a slap on the wrist.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3060 times
Has Liked: 5023 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:47 am

The corruption goes deep and goes back a long way. We are talking millions upon millions of pounds. If it was public money somebody would be jailed for life, but because its 'only' football, it appears to be taken less seriously.
If he is found guilty I hope he goes down for a long, long time. If it also turns out Qatar bribed officials to get the competition, then it needs moving. How can they be allowed to benefit from such action.

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3115 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:50 am

more detail here http://uptheclarets.com/messageboard/vi ... start=1432" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Interesting that he was UEFA president at the time covered him a couple of times in the Magic Money tree thread including this interview this month http://uptheclarets.com/messageboard/vi ... start=1302" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Funkydrummer

Post by Funkydrummer » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:51 am

Unfortunately cc, that's a big "if" as regards bribery !!!! :o :o

Cleveleys_claret
Been Liked: 956 times
Has Liked: 583 times

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:10 am

Why oh why? Such a gifted footballer. When is enough money enough? How they thought they would ever get away with giving a world cup to Qatar amazes me. Everybody in the world knows that for them to get the world cup over more established countries meant that a form of bribery will have happened

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:14 am

Cleveleys_claret wrote:Why oh why? Such a gifted footballer. When is enough money enough? How they thought they would ever get away with giving a world cup to Qatar amazes me. Everybody in the world knows that for them to get the world cup over more established countries meant that a form of bribery will have happened
I'd certainly agree with you on him being such a gifted footballer. France had some great players at the time but he stood out as the very best of them.

I always wonder with current footballers when they are demanding more. Surely a time must come when a pay rise doesn't really give you anything because you already have enough money to do whatever you want (I'm certainly not speaking from personal experience here :D). It's just greed, nothing but sheer greed.

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3115 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:16 am

It is probable that Platini is being used as a way of getting to Nicholas Sarkozy

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/worl ... 71758.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It is well documented that Sarkozy urged Platini to vote for Qatar to get contracts for French business

SalisburyClaret
Been Liked: 1104 times
Has Liked: 709 times

Post by SalisburyClaret » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:28 am

Had to believe that the decision to hold the World Cup in Qatar was based on anything other than football

Pimlico_Claret
Been Liked: 614 times
Has Liked: 680 times

Post by Pimlico_Claret » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:43 am

About time there is a threat of non participation starting from the qualifying rounds unless it's moved from Qatar.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Jun 18, 2019 10:57 am

A little bit more on it from David Conn

https://www.theguardian.com/football/20 ... p-to-qatar" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DCWat
Been Liked: 4131 times
Has Liked: 3599 times

Post by DCWat » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:01 am

ClaretTony wrote:I'd certainly agree with you on him being such a gifted footballer. France had some great players at the time but he stood out as the very best of them.

I always wonder with current footballers when they are demanding more. Surely a time must come when a pay rise doesn't really give you anything because you already have enough money to do whatever you want (I'm certainly not speaking from personal experience here :D). It's just greed, nothing but sheer greed.
If the column inches given to Gareth Bail’s unwillingness to leave Madrid are true, it’s just another example of this greed. He’s set up for life if he lived to 500 and should surely be wanting to enjoy the remainder of his privileged career, by playing somewhere else and trying to win things.

Football is slowly but surely, eating itself.

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2159 times
Has Liked: 2046 times

Post by CoolClaret » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:02 am

The football world should boycott the Qatar World Cup... So corrupt, back handers galore!

Not to mention the human right infringements and basically slavery being used by the Qatar regime.... & our disgraceful Gov sell assets to them *******..
This user liked this post: Pimlico_Claret

Dyched
Been Liked: 1921 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Tue Jun 18, 2019 11:10 am

DCWat wrote:If the column inches given to Gareth Bail’s unwillingness to leave Madrid are true, it’s just another example of this greed. He’s set up for life if he lived to 500 and should surely be wanting to enjoy the remainder of his privileged career, by playing somewhere else and trying to win things.

Football is slowly but surely, eating itself.
That’s looking at it from Gareth Bale the footballer point of view.

Look at it from the normal everyday welsh chap point of view. Being paid hundreds of thousands a week for little work in one of the most beautiful cities in the world.

ecc
Been Liked: 1394 times
Has Liked: 1272 times

Post by ecc » Tue Jun 18, 2019 12:47 pm

I'm sure all current UEFA/FIFA employees are striving to ensure this type of thing never happens again.

JTClaret
Been Liked: 181 times
Has Liked: 119 times

Post by JTClaret » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:03 pm

Dyched wrote:That’s looking at it from Gareth Bale the footballer point of view.

Look at it from the normal everyday welsh chap point of view. Being paid hundreds of thousands a week for little work in one of the most beautiful cities in the world.
That's a great point haha
It's not like he's slumming it - however, another 10 years and his career is over and he will have enough to live anywhere in the world doing whatever he wants. And he could play in any number of beautiful places around the world. You wouldn't want to be the normal everyday Welsh chap who missed the chance to do what many can only dream of doing because who just spent your time doing all you can do in later life.

PaintYorkClaretnBlue
Been Liked: 660 times
Has Liked: 1219 times

Post by PaintYorkClaretnBlue » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:06 pm

ClaretTony wrote:I'd certainly agree with you on him being such a gifted footballer. France had some great players at the time but he stood out as the very best of them.

I think that it must be status with a lot of the top players, a need to be on the most money at a club, in the league etc.

JTClaret
Been Liked: 181 times
Has Liked: 119 times

Post by JTClaret » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:07 pm

Playing devil's advocate here a little bit, but wasn't one of the things behind the World Cup to extend the reach of football around the world?
Making the likes of Qatar an ideal place for the World Cup.

(Yes, I get the issues eg. the heat, the politics, the culture, the beliefs etc. - But if that's an issue then football is discriminating, even if rightly)

Funkydrummer

Post by Funkydrummer » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:23 pm

JTClaret wrote:
(Yes, I get the issues eg. the heat, the politics, the culture, the beliefs etc. - But if that's an issue then football is discriminating, even if rightly)
Other than that, what have the Romans ever done for us ? :?:

Spike
Been Liked: 594 times
Has Liked: 1225 times

Post by Spike » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:23 pm

My dear old Dad god bless him told me to never trust the French they don't wash their underwear often enough.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6901 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:24 pm

JTClaret wrote:Playing devil's advocate here a little bit, but wasn't one of the things behind the World Cup to extend the reach of football around the world?
Making the likes of Qatar an ideal place for the World Cup.

Taking the world cup to a country with a population of a couple of million, a good number of whom are presumably immigrants there to build the infrastructure for the world cup, is not extending the reach of football around the world. South Africa would fit that criteria, as would Japan/South Korea but Qatar?

Funkydrummer

Post by Funkydrummer » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:27 pm

Rileybobs wrote:Taking the world cup to a country with a population of a couple of million, a good number of whom are presumably immigrants there to build the infrastructure for the world cup, is not extending the reach of football around the world. South Africa would fit that criteria, as would Japan/South Korea but Qatar?
Also Scotland ;)

Vino blanco
Been Liked: 1898 times
Has Liked: 1965 times

Post by Vino blanco » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:29 pm

I really hope he gets sent down for some time, though I very much doubt it.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6901 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Tue Jun 18, 2019 1:30 pm

Will VAR be in use in his trial?
These 2 users liked this post: Vino blanco jtv

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:35 pm

Top level footballers by their nature are very competitive. I imagine that extends out to "winning" the pay negotiations as well. (Plus obviously the more money the player earns the more money the agent earns.)

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3784 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:45 pm

Is it genuine greed by the player or the agent? I wonder how much influence the agent has, do the players really set demands and say ''I want X amount'' or is it all handled by the agent? I have absolutely no idea, but I'd be interested to know the true use of a ''super agent'' compared with the standard smaller football agent when negotiating with these top clubs. It does seem half the time, the agents are pushing for moves and I'd guess the agents will be convincing the players it's a good move to profit financially themselves, slimy business.

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2307 times
Has Liked: 1033 times

Post by Clarets4me » Tue Jun 18, 2019 2:50 pm

Spike wrote:My dear old Dad god bless him told me to never trust the French they don't wash their underwear often enough.
:D :D

" You can say what you like about the French, but they're always there when they need you " ....
These 2 users liked this post: Vino blanco dougcollins

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:09 pm

aggi wrote:Top level footballers by their nature are very competitive. I imagine that extends out to "winning" the pay negotiations as well. (Plus obviously the more money the player earns the more money the agent earns.)
They are certainly very competitive and that never leaves them

Cleveleys_claret

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Tue Jun 18, 2019 3:46 pm

Fully agree with you. One example for me of this is Alan Shearer. Not up on the figures but gave his accountant something like 5 million with the promise of it being worth 20 million after 5 years. When he realised the accountant had lost his money he took him to court to claim it back saying it had been mis sold. I dont mind Shearer but the greed amazes me. Why with all his money does he want more, and expect it for doing nothing?

ŽižkovClaret
Been Liked: 2145 times
Has Liked: 3063 times

Post by ŽižkovClaret » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:17 pm

Cleveleys_claret wrote:Fully agree with you. One example for me of this is Alan Shearer. Not up on the figures but gave his accountant something like 5 million with the promise of it being worth 20 million after 5 years. When he realised the accountant had lost his money he took him to court to claim it back saying it had been mis sold. I dont mind Shearer but the greed amazes me. Why with all his money does he want more, and expect it for doing nothing?
If it was you and it was 5k being turned into 20k wouldn't you chase it?

Cleveleys_claret

Post by Cleveleys_claret » Tue Jun 18, 2019 7:41 pm

That is totally different....although something would tell me this is too good to be true, and I couldnt afford to risk 5k. Because thats what it always is.....a risk, nothing is guaranteed but these footballers/ ex footballers have such a sense of entitlement. And if I lost the money I would think more fool me for being so greedy

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Tue Jun 18, 2019 8:17 pm

Would love to see our FA take a stand and boycott the 2022 World Cup. The whole thing absolutely stinks.

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5154 times
Has Liked: 795 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Tue Jun 18, 2019 9:13 pm

He and Septic Bladder should be picking soap up in the prison showers.

box_of_frogs
Been Liked: 1087 times
Has Liked: 996 times

Post by box_of_frogs » Wed Jun 19, 2019 7:10 am

jrgbfc wrote:Would love to see our FA take a stand and boycott the 2022 World Cup. The whole thing absolutely stinks.
I’m pretty sure the Scots and Welsh will be doing that by just not qualifying again....