Dwight McNeil - Juventus

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Re: Dwight McNeil - Juventus

Post by tiger76 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:22 am

Longside4evr wrote:Other teams just think they can steamroll us into selling a player because of our size of being a Town team pretty much, its happened in the past were we have had to sell our best talent to balance the books.
This could end up an exodus Gibson Tarkowski, Heaton, Hart, McNeil and Barnes
How would we go about signing players if that lot went a dread to think
The only ones on your list that might move this summer are Hart for obvious reasons,and perhaps Tarks if the price is right.

What we need to do is ship out the deadwood Wells,Lennon if we can and trim the excess number of keepers we're hoarding.

Even if we choose to sell,we can now demand top dollar,Gray and Keane hardly left for a pittance did they.

I've decided not to be a worrywart this transfer window,life's too short,what will be will be,and we often do our business late on.

I'd rather we waited and got the right signings,instead of splashing the cash on a load of dross.

The important factor is our continuity and team spirit,if we keep the core of the first eleven we'll be fine,just don't expect a European challenge anytime soon.
This user liked this post: LeadBelly

bobinho
Been Liked: 4070 times
Has Liked: 6535 times

Post by bobinho » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:23 am

Hedontplayforyou wrote:If he has a good first half of the season we could command £50m in January or even more than that. Or possibly even more in the summer if he has an amazing season. The English clubs will come running for him then, that’s where we will make the big bucks
Aye. He’ll go for £5,000,000. Our board will see all those noughts and **** their pants.

Just kidding.

I just hope we don’t value him too cheaply if someone comes calling. He’s a good player, but lacking stamina at the moment. I’m sure they will be working on this in pre-season. He needs game time to develop both his game and his value. I hope he gets it, but I worry that we will start a fit Brady. Nowt wrong with Brady, but I prefer the young lads rawness. He still hadn’t the natural attacking mindset coached out of him in favour of the tracking back defensive style we prefer. His first thought when he gets the ball os to move forward. That’s great to watch, and doesn’t really have a negative effect on our game plan.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:47 am

bobinho wrote:Aye. He’ll go for £5,000,000. Our board will see all those noughts and **** their pants.

Just kidding.

I just hope we don’t value him too cheaply if someone comes calling. He’s a good player, but lacking stamina at the moment. I’m sure they will be working on this in pre-season. He needs game time to develop both his game and his value. I hope he gets it, but I worry that we will start a fit Brady. Nowt wrong with Brady, but I prefer the young lads rawness. He still hadn’t the natural attacking mindset coached out of him in favour of the tracking back defensive style we prefer. His first thought when he gets the ball os to move forward. That’s great to watch, and doesn’t really have a negative effect on our game plan.
I think it's very much McNeil's place to lose. No chance IMO that Brady will start ahead of him.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:47 am

rob63 wrote:Why was it deleted Macca, any reason given?
No, but there never is, its be too time consuming for the mods.
It's the first one that's been deleted for a while, and there was no bad language etc in it, so erased any doubts in my mind it could be BS.

Seems both were true, obviously wasnt top secret as I knew, the mod knew then the papers printed it too.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3137 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Post by boatshed bill » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:48 am

These transfer windows do little for me other than make me somewhat depressed.
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:51 am

boatshed bill wrote:These transfer windows do little for me other than make me somewhat depressed.
Why?

Have we suffered as a result of the way we operate as a club?

No

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:53 am

Spijed wrote:Why?
Have we suffered as a result of the way we operate as a club?
No
I think he's kidding. Not to be taken literally.
This user liked this post: boatshed bill

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:54 am

Would rather we sold Brady.

BOYSIE31
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 1111 times

Post by BOYSIE31 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:58 am

Let's see how he starts this season first - plenty of games last season where he was also invisible for us which was understandable but dyche kept him in as we had nothing else.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3137 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Post by boatshed bill » Sun Jun 30, 2019 11:59 am

Blackrod wrote:Would rather we sold Brady.
Not exactly kidding, Frank, but the whole window thing with all the speculation, rumours etc., is such a waste of time.

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 1985 times
Has Liked: 2875 times

Post by elwaclaret » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:00 pm

If Juve’s opening gambit is £30m it shows they are serious and of course we will be talking.
I’d expect a £30-40m fee, season loan back, international appearance bonus payment(s), Juve appearance payments, Champions League appearance bonus, and sell on clause would leave enough room for Burnley to deal should DM feel he is ready for the challenge.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:04 pm

boatshed bill wrote:Not exactly kidding, Frank, but the whole window thing with all the speculation, rumours etc., is such a waste of time.
Sure, I meant it's not literally made you depressed.

If my source is to be believed, as I mentioned recently, we rejected bids for Vydra from Leeds, so it's not like we're happy to sell anybody. We do realise the money we make from staying up and know that selling certain players reduces our chances of playing Premier League football.

McNeil for £30 mil just isn't worth it. He recently signed a new contract and selling him would seriously jeopardize our Premier League status.

Now, if they offered nearer £70 million, I'm sure we'd have to think twice. But people keep mentioning on how a player's value is only what the other club will offer - but a player's value has to bring into account the money we earn by staying up.
This user liked this post: rob63

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:15 pm

Hipper wrote:Sissoko is not really a winger and I thought he had a good season last year. Super fit, strong, his only failing is in front of goal. I'd have him at the Turf.
McNeil plays on the flank for us but there are people on here who're adamant he should play through the middle as a CAM...
Sissoko plays in more than one position, but he has played on the wing.

Giftonsnoidea
Been Liked: 225 times
Has Liked: 248 times

Post by Giftonsnoidea » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:21 pm

As much as we rate Mcneil he is nowhere near ready to play for Juventus in their first team.

He needs to play every week in the premier for us for at least 2 more seasons to see if he can hack it all the time esp when defenders have got used to his game.
Last edited by Giftonsnoidea on Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:22 pm

Giftonsnoidea wrote:As much as we rate O’Neil he is nowhere near ready to play for Juventus in their first team.

He needs to play every week in the premier for us for at least 2 more seasons to see if he can hack it all the time esp when defenders have got used to his game.
What about McNeil?

Giftonsnoidea
Been Liked: 225 times
Has Liked: 248 times

Post by Giftonsnoidea » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:26 pm

FactualFrank wrote:What about McNeil?
Autocorrect lol

Texanclaret16
Been Liked: 34 times
Has Liked: 31 times

Post by Texanclaret16 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:27 pm

For me this could be because there has not been much transfer talk surrounding Burnley so they got to stir something up. It’s a bit like the story of SD to Newcastle it will be someone trying to put a price on the player probably driven by greasy agents who have already destroyed the game trying to tempt clubs to bid.

For me reading through the other posts, if A big team is interested and why wouldn’t they be given his performances and inclusion into the England training camps showing Southgate believes he will become a international if he carries on his development would he want to move to say sit on a bench getting 20-30 mins max each game...

If he did sign for a big club will he get the right amount of playing time to develop at a bigger club compared to his development here. Over the years a lot of English players have shined for Burnley then moved and done not a lot possibly less pressure than the other clubs or lack of playing time look at gray and ings (granted a bad injury for ings) and guessing many more I have not listed.

Also I think 30 mill will be the starting price with a lot of add ons and sell on clauses. 1st isn’t cap 1st int goal 50 apps for club etc.....

A big club may see it as a chance to buy him and loan him back to us which for the player I am sure would be tempting.

Just my Sunday thoughts.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:29 pm

I wouldn't sell for 30 million. The lad looks the real deal and is a genuine, left sided midfielder, which seems rare at the top level these days.

Socrates
Been Liked: 912 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by Socrates » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:51 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:McNeil plays on the flank for us but there are people on here who're adamant he should play through the middle as a CAM...
You’re chatting absolute wham.

DustyBawls
Been Liked: 156 times
Has Liked: 131 times

Post by DustyBawls » Sun Jun 30, 2019 12:52 pm

Socrates wrote:You’re chatting absolute wham.
The irony.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:01 pm

Socrates wrote:You’re chatting absolute wham.
Which part?

McNeil on the flank for us, people wanting him through the middle last season or Sissoko playing in more than one position?

You'll need to narrow it down because none of it is wham.

taio
Been Liked: 3220 times
Has Liked: 340 times

Post by taio » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:01 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:McNeil plays on the flank for us but there are people on here who're adamant he should play through the middle as a CAM...
Some people have suggested that McNeil could play in a central role. But I can't recall anyone being adamant about it. But even if played such a role he would in no way resemble Sissoko.

DustyBawls

Post by DustyBawls » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:03 pm

taio wrote:Some people have suggested that McNeil could play in a central role. But I can't recall anyone being adamant about it. But even if played such a role he would in no way resemble Sissoko.
ClaretSpice has been adamant about it. Mentioned it many times.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:04 pm

taio wrote:Some people have suggested that McNeil could play in a central role. But I can't recall anyone being adamant about it. But even if played such a role he would in no way resemble Sissoko.
Has he not played there for the U23's? That might be why some are suggesting it.

taio

Post by taio » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:05 pm

DustyBawls wrote:ClaretSpice has been adamant about it. Mentioned it many times.
No he hasn't - he's suggested it would be an option for us. Which he is right about.

Socrates
Been Liked: 912 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by Socrates » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:06 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:Which part?

McNeil on the flank for us, people wanting him through the middle last season or Sissoko playing in more than one position?

You'll need to narrow it down because none of it is wham.

Well ....

You started off by saying that £30 million for McNeil was poor because Sissoko went for £30 million.

Then it was pointed out that they played in different positions.

Your response to that is that it’s a fair comparison because people have said McNeil should play in the same position Sissoko occasionally does, even though he never has.

And that’s before we get into the fact that Sissoko is a much, much better player than you seem to realise.

Wham.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:07 pm

Yet when I've referred to Sissoko as a winger, a position which he has played, it's ridiculed....

This forum is hilarious at times if a comment doesn't suit the direction everyone else is going in.

So we can accept people want McNeil to play in the middle for us?
Well at least we've got somewhere today.

taio

Post by taio » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:07 pm

Spijed wrote:Has he not played there for the U23's? That might be why some are suggesting it.
He can play a central role. But no one was adamant it was wrong to play him on the wing. That'd be a pretty stupid position to take given the season McNeil was having.

taio

Post by taio » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:10 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:Yet when I've referred to Sissoko as a winger, a position which he has played, it's ridiculed....

This forum is hilarious at times if a comment doesn't suit the direction everyone else is going in.

So we can accept people want McNeil to play in the middle for us?
Well at least we've got somewhere today.
It's no big deal but the comparison with Sissoko was odd.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:11 pm

Socrates wrote:Well ....

You started off by saying that £30 million for McNeil was poor because Sissoko went for £30 million.

Then it was pointed out that they played in different positions.

Your response to that is that it’s a fair comparison because people have said McNeil should play in the same position Sissoko occasionally does, even though he never has.

And that’s before we get into the fact that Sissoko is a much, much better player than you seem to realise.

Wham.
Correction - I've never said £30 million for McNeil was poor.
I stated that it was odd that Spurs may not want to spend that amount when they did on Sissoko.

Sissoko has played on the wing, but he's not used there by spurs very often, simply because he causes less aggravation in the middle for them then he does out on the wing.

Initially Sissoko was shocking for Spurs, pretty much everyone knows that and will accept it, he's still viewed nervously by some Spurs fans I know, Inc season ticket holder, but yeah he is currently better than McNeil however time is on McNeil's side.

So that's a wham score of you speaking more of it than me so far.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:12 pm

taio wrote:It's no big deal but the comparison with Sissoko was odd.
It's just because of the amount spent on him and the figure used for McNeil was the same.

I didn't realize some would get their knickers in such a twist about it, but then I shouldn't be surprised looking at this place sometimes.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:13 pm

taio wrote:He can play a central role. But no one was adamant it was wrong to play him on the wing. That'd be a pretty stupid position to take given the season McNeil was having.
They didn't say it was wrong to play him on the wing, you're changing the dialogue now.

People have suggested, some adamantly, that he would be a good choice as CAM, especially as Dyche hasn't wanted to use Vydra who can play there (and on the wing but let's keep that quiet).

Erasmus
Been Liked: 574 times
Has Liked: 44 times

Post by Erasmus » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:15 pm

I think keeping hold of our players is a good bit easier than signing new ones for the first team. A lot of it is down to persuading very good players to play for Burnley, which, of course, is a lot easier if they already here.
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

taio

Post by taio » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:22 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:They didn't say it was wrong to play him on the wing, you're changing the dialogue now.

People have suggested, some adamantly, that he would be a good choice as CAM, especially as Dyche hasn't wanted to use Vydra who can play there (and on the wing but let's keep that quiet).
Who has been adamant about it? Adamant to me means taking a strong position on something. So in this context a strong view that he should have played in the middle instead of out wide. I rather suspect people were just suggesting it could be a very good option in the future. That's all. But in any case he's nothing like Sissoko.

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:24 pm

taio wrote:Who has been adamant about it? Adamant to me means taking a strong position on something. So in this context a strong view that he should have played in the middle instead of out wide. I rather suspect people were just suggesting it could be a very good option in the future. That's all. But in any case he's nothing like Sissoko.
I'll downgrade it to multiple suggestions then for some peace and quiet

I'll pluck another player out as well if it keeps some of you from whinging that I chose the wrong one :roll:

Any suggestions, because I'm assuming I'll need to run it past you first?

Conroy92
Been Liked: 497 times
Has Liked: 30 times

Post by Conroy92 » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:26 pm

Sissoko is exactly the type of player we need, he has a good season at spurs after a shakey start.

He's a different player to McNeil so it's hard to compare.

You were trying to make Sissoko out to be some sort of shocker at 30mil, I actually think it wasn't bad business.

taio

Post by taio » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:27 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:I'll downgrade it to multiple suggestions then for some peace and quiet

I'll pluck another player out as well if it keeps some of you from whinging that I chose the wrong one :roll:

Any suggestions, because I'm assuming I'll need to run it past you first?
Don't need to run anything past me. But if you post another strange and meaningless comparison and continue to keep digging it's likely it will get highlighted. Sort of what happens on a football message board.
This user liked this post: Bordeauxclaret

bfcmik
Been Liked: 891 times
Has Liked: 1100 times

Post by bfcmik » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:32 pm

And so, yet another thread degenerates into a personal slanging match! :roll: :cry:

DustyBawls

Post by DustyBawls » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:39 pm

taio wrote:Who has been adamant about it? Adamant to me means taking a strong position on something. So in this context a strong view that he should have played in the middle instead of out wide. I rather suspect people were just suggesting it could be a very good option in the future. That's all. But in any case he's nothing like Sissoko.
ClaretSpice for one! And there's been several others who have followed (copied) suit without any valid reason behind it.

DustyBawls

Post by DustyBawls » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:40 pm

taio wrote:No he hasn't - he's suggested it would be an option for us. Which he is right about.
Yes he has. Now get back from his backside please.

taio

Post by taio » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:46 pm

DustyBawls wrote:Yes he has. Now get back from his backside please.
I recall he was talking about a future option and opportunity. If you can find a post where he was adamant he should have been playing centrally I'll openly say I was wrong. So show me.

DustyBawls

Post by DustyBawls » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:48 pm

taio wrote:I recall he was talking about a future option and opportunity. If you can find a post where he was adamant he should have been playing centrally I'll openly say I was wrong. So show me.
Nice edit. A good job too. You - strong? :)

taio

Post by taio » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:53 pm

DustyBawls wrote:Nice edit. A good job too. You - strong? :)
Fancy that - a typo or predictive text. Such a weak response.

jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4800 times
Has Liked: 943 times

Post by jdrobbo » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:56 pm

Hope we have at least another year out of Dwight and that his value can increase further.

I wouldn’t blame him one bit for going to Juve. It’s a huge move for a very young lad, but we all know how good he is.

I personally think that we’d consider £30 million but feel its short of what he’s worth, with four years left on his contract.

Finally, Sissoko was a winger but has played almost all of the last season in central midfield. He was one of their very best players last year. The comparison is just daft.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Jun 30, 2019 1:56 pm

Well McNeil certainly sees himself as a left winger, but we can always move him away from the position he seems himself as best in, I guess.

https://www.clubcall.com/news/2019/01/1 ... ried-away/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"The one I really looked up to was Ryan Giggs, he was my main idol when I was younger and I always wanted to be like him."

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5202 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:03 pm

bfcmik wrote:And so, yet another thread degenerates into a personal slanging match! :roll: :cry:
We've got 2 of the heavyweight bickerers in Taio and Sid going at each other so plenty of legs left in this tedious exchange yet

No Ney Never
Been Liked: 894 times
Has Liked: 328 times

Post by No Ney Never » Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:05 pm

It's a massive complement to our acquisition and development teams for Dwight to be attracting such attention.
Hopefully the restructuring of the development side of things that took place previously is now starting to pay off.

DustyBawls

Post by DustyBawls » Sun Jun 30, 2019 2:08 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:We've got 2 of the heavyweight bickerers in Taio and Sid going at each other so plenty of legs left in this tedious exchange yet
What a delightful way of calling out trolls.

KRBFC
Been Liked: 3784 times
Has Liked: 1071 times

Post by KRBFC » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:35 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:Yeah the same lad who's transfer made no sense when he was utter dogshite for spurs for a fair while.
He still struggles to be consistently good even now.

As for France, he's played for them 5 times since he joined spurs, probably a reflection of his poor form..
Spurs fans Hated him, now they all love him which shows the kind of season he had there, was one of the best central midfielders in the league last year. Also no idea why you’re comparing a CMs goal stats to a winger,

DustyBawls

Post by DustyBawls » Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:37 pm

KRBFC wrote:Spurs fans Hated him, now they all love him which shows the kind of season he had there, was one of the best central midfielders in the league last year. Also no idea why you’re comparing a CMs goal stats to a winger,
Please, just let it go.