BFC TRANSFER NEWS (MUST CONTAIN LINK)

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10916 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Re: BFC TRANSFER NEWS (MUST CONTAIN LINK)

Post by Vegas Claret » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:45 pm

reading the Stoke forum they are a little ****** off to be losing him

NL Claret
Been Liked: 515 times
Has Liked: 209 times

Re: Erik Pieters

Post by NL Claret » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:48 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:How can one man have both his names spelt incorrectly?
Don't worry, if he does sign he will be referred to on UTC as Eric Peter.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3137 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Post by boatshed bill » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:49 pm

You can see the logic in signing Pieters, decent back-up for Taylor. I'm still hoping we can bring Koiki on, but who knows?

BOYSIE31
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 1111 times

Post by BOYSIE31 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:50 pm

Spijed wrote:So name a club without a billionaire in charge that has had more success than us in the last few years?

Just one will do!
And there lies the other problem - we don't want any outside investment because trust me it's be offered these last 4 years

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:52 pm

BOYSIE31 wrote:I'm talking about our two big money buys from last summer making a total of 3 starts between them - but don't let that put you off your love of dyches transfer policy
They can’t get in the team because the players in front of them - Mee, Tarks, Wood and Barnes - are better. Dyche brought in 3 out of these 4 and made the other one a far better player than he ever was under the guy who signed him. Would you prefer we had a weaker bench and squad ? Were you not one of the many people saying we needed to bring in a quality centre back to cover Mee and Tarks ?

But don’t let your hatred of Dyche and constant criticism of our transfer policy get in the way of talking utter sh-ite....like you previous comment that we have not been able to compete with half a billion revenue as we start our fourth season in a row in the Premier League whilst other teams who have spent much more have been relegated.

My “love of Dyche’s transfer policy” as you put it is simply because i’m not stupid enough to think that I can do a better job than Dyche...I don’t agree with all of his transfers and often wish we would sign other players but I accept that I ain’t got a clue about the ins and outs of players and agents demands and whilst fans can sit there making suggestions or constantly criticising like you that Dyche is the only one who has to do it in real life.

So I prefer to just be grateful that he has given me the best and most successful 6 years of supporting the club in my lifetime...whereas you choose to do nothing but complain and bang on about the transfers that haven’t yet worked out (in your mind) rather than the many many more transfers Dyche has made that have worked out.
These 3 users liked this post: Holtyclaret Tricky Trevor Down_Rover

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:52 pm

BOYSIE31 wrote:And there lies the other problem - we don't want any outside investment because trust me it's be offered these last 4 years
Still no guarantee, as both Fulham & Cardiff proved last season. Both have wealthy owners and it counted for nothing.

Grumps
Been Liked: 954 times
Has Liked: 359 times

Post by Grumps » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:52 pm

ksrclaret wrote:A little off topic, but has anyone ever come across a more useless local journalist than Chris Boden?

Never has the first clue about what's going on until another journalist tweets something. He should have been all over a deal like that.
Been saying this for years, it's always other journos who get our transfer news, yet he tries to make out he's in the know. Far too close to Bentley and enjoys being allowed access to the club, as long as he doesn't report anything they don't want him to.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:53 pm

BOYSIE31 wrote:And there lies the other problem - we don't want any outside investment because trust me it's be offered these last 4 years
There you go with talking utter sh-ite again. Provide one bit of evidence that we have had any credible offer of outside investment in the last 4 years.

CoolClaret
Been Liked: 2159 times
Has Liked: 2046 times

Post by CoolClaret » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:54 pm

ksrclaret wrote:A little off topic, but has anyone ever come across a more useless local journalist than Chris Boden?

Never has the first clue about what's going on until another journalist tweets something. He should have been all over a deal like that.
Not to mention he's a right self-righteous nob head as well

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5201 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:54 pm

Grumps wrote:enjoys being allowed access to the club, as long as he doesn't report anything they don't want him to.
Sounds familiar :roll:
This user liked this post: ClaretAndJew

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:57 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:reading the Stoke forum they are a little ****** off to be losing him
Reads to me like they aren't exactly happy, but appreciate it's a good move for him to come to us.

Still only 30 and PL experience you’d expect 2-3m. Last year of contract though, To get nothing would be ridiculous. We seem to have something going with Burnley that’s 4 players in the last season now.

He'll suit Burnley down t'ground.
In all fairness they've got by far the best deal in the Ward/Pieters club swap.
As much as I never particularly rated Pieters, he was comfortably one of our better performing players on the first half of last season,(not hard I know) and was a more than adequate full back in this division.
Jones' decision to **** him off was baffling last season and is even more baffling now hes replaced him with a journeyman in his mid thirties.

Delighted for Erik. When I had a chat with him a few weeks ago both him and his wife were desperate to stay in the Cheshire area which they consider their long term home.
He still has something to offer at Premier League level which clearly Stephen Ward doesn't.
Smart bit of business by Dyche.
Last edited by FactualFrank on Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2742 times
Has Liked: 4314 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:57 pm

The clubs Wagtastic rating will not be done any harm if Pieters does sign...now if we could only get Crouchy back as well...
Last edited by randomclaret2 on Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32237 times
Has Liked: 5253 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:57 pm

JohnMcGreal wrote:What caused you to change your mind?

Personally I think signing promising young players to provide cover, where there's a chance they will improve over time and have the potential to command a high price in the future is a better model than signing experienced players who are unlikely to feature and have no resale value.
Because of Taylor’s limited experience. He was perfect to come in and back up Ward but just felt we needed an experienced player in.

Generally I’d agree with you but given the age of Taylor as well I think some experience would be useful.
These 2 users liked this post: LeuvenClaret JohnMcGreal

Longtimeclaret
Been Liked: 48 times
Has Liked: 18 times

Post by Longtimeclaret » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:59 pm

Simple answer is NO

He has to be the most clueless journo on the planet. The really surprising thing however , is he doesn’t realise it

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8426 times
Has Liked: 18093 times

Post by Bosscat » Sun Jul 07, 2019 7:59 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:How can one man have both his names spelt incorrectly?
He is Dutch ffs :lol: :lol: :lol:

Eric Peters - Erik Pieters
English ---------------Dutch

LeuvenClaret
Been Liked: 18 times
Has Liked: 118 times

Post by LeuvenClaret » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:04 pm

Great signing for me, brings experience and is good cover for the youthful Taylor.

No idea on transfer fee but doubt this one broke the bank leaving more to invest in other positions.

No idea what the doom and gloom is about.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2097 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:05 pm

Not sure Stoke are getting such a good deal here, swapping a steady performer like Pieters for Ward who is older, and has big question marks over his fitness.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3060 times
Has Liked: 5023 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:06 pm

I cant see the excitement at signing a back up for anybody.
You don't improve the team by signing players who are back ups. With the limited number of potential players we can go for, spending money on anyone who isnt going to start seems a bit of a waste.
2 x 20 million starters is infinitely better than 4 x 10 million backups. As Dwight showed keeping youth players in and around the first team is their best chance of improving. It also saves some money to try and get the elusive marquee signing.
If we were desperate for back up for Charlie, why let Ward go.

CFS
Been Liked: 231 times
Has Liked: 113 times

Post by CFS » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:08 pm

Boden "no firm news on fee contracts/wages"
Like you'd know numpty

Longsider
Been Liked: 761 times
Has Liked: 722 times

Post by Longsider » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:09 pm

Signing Pieter's is a good but of business. Dutch player will ensure Shirt sales will go through the roof in Helmond.

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6463 times
Has Liked: 2896 times

Post by Steve1956 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:11 pm

Ashley Ward & Wes Brown next.....FFS.
This user liked this post: randomclaret2

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:12 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:I cant see the excitement at signing a back up for anybody.
You don't improve the team by signing players who are back ups. With the limited number of potential players we can go for, spending money on anyone who isnt going to start seems a bit of a waste.
2 x 20 million starters is infinitely better than 4 x 10 million backups. As Dwight showed keeping youth players in and around the first team is their best chance of improving. It also saves some money to try and get the elusive marquee signing.
Simple - Ward wanted to go for family reasons.

We need a left back. Now we could go for a first choice or a back up for Taylor who is good enough to step in when required. So I’ve absolutely no problem with this deal.

It’s not always about improving the team, it’s about improving the squad. We are doing just that.
These 2 users liked this post: Holtyclaret Longsider

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:14 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:I cant see the excitement at signing a back up for anybody.
Because his contract was up, and he spent most of last year injured. Ward wanted to leave and we wanted him to leave - he’s been brilliant but his time is up.
Why would we buy a player to take Taylor’s place when he had such a brilliant season ?

If we buy players who might go straight into the first team it’s in other positions we need them - not left back.

claretdj
Been Liked: 283 times
Has Liked: 173 times

Post by claretdj » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:15 pm

What is with our love affair with stoke rejects? Haven't we had our hands bitten enough off them already! Who next shawcross?

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:26 pm

claretdj wrote:What is with our love affair with stoke rejects? Haven't we had our hands bitten enough off them already! Who next shawcross?
Bit like Bardsley you mean?
These 2 users liked this post: FactualFrank Quicknick

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:27 pm

claretdj wrote:What is with our love affair with stoke rejects? Haven't we had our hands bitten enough off them already! Who next shawcross?
We've done better than them.

BOYSIE31
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 1111 times

Post by BOYSIE31 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:29 pm

TVC15 wrote:They can’t get in the team because the players in front of them - Mee, Tarks, Wood and Barnes - are better. Dyche brought in 3 out of these 4 and made the other one a far better player than he ever was under the guy who signed him. Would you prefer we had a weaker bench and squad ? Were you not one of the many people saying we needed to bring in a quality centre back to cover Mee and Tarks ?

But don’t let your hatred of Dyche and constant criticism of our transfer policy get in the way of talking utter sh-ite....like you previous comment that we have not been able to compete with half a billion revenue as we start our fourth season in a row in the Premier League whilst other teams who have spent much more have been relegated.

My “love of Dyche’s transfer policy” as you put it is simply because i’m not stupid enough to think that I can do a better job than Dyche...I don’t agree with all of his transfers and often wish we would sign other players but I accept that I ain’t got a clue about the ins and outs of players and agents demands and whilst fans can sit there making suggestions or constantly criticising like you that Dyche is the only one who has to do it in real life.

So I prefer to just be grateful that he has given me the best and most successful 6 years of supporting the club in my lifetime...whereas you choose to do nothing but complain and bang on about the transfers that haven’t yet worked out (in your mind) rather than the many many more transfers Dyche has made that have worked out.
I would have more appreciation of dyche if the football on show was better on the eye but it's not it's awful to watch - also if he looked further afield for players than British.
Last summer he spent £27million plus wages on players and not played them as the form up to Jan was absymal (I know Gibson got injured) but come on do we have the money to throw away every year No - file under crouch /Walters and others and don't get me started of why we signed wells
These players have taken millions from the club :o

Reecey1987
Been Liked: 217 times
Has Liked: 97 times

Post by Reecey1987 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:30 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Bit like Bardsley you mean?
Charlie adam has commented on john percys post on twitter . He says its a good signing

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:31 pm

BOYSIE31 wrote:I would have more appreciation of dyche if the football on show was better on the eye but it's not it's awful to watch
You might catch a few with that comment!
These 2 users liked this post: FactualFrank BOYSIE31

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1868 times
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:34 pm

Hope he turns out to be as awful as Bardsley has. Good signing not quite sure what sort of back up left back would excite people?
These 6 users liked this post: ClaretTony FactualFrank randomclaret2 Wokingclaret Damo simonclaret

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:35 pm

Steve-Harpers-perm wrote:Hope he turns out to be as awful as Bardsley has. Good signing not quite sure what sort of back up left back would excite people?
Bang on shp

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1503 times
Has Liked: 577 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:39 pm

Spijed wrote:Always find Nicko a better source of info anyway.
Actually ended up unfollowing him. Doesn’t know half as much as he thinks (did he know anything about this Pieters deal?) and was mind-numbing about the Bolton ownership debacle. Also thinks he’s a bit of a twitter celeb - reviewing people’s accas?!

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2814 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:40 pm

Nixon blocked me on twitter the mardy ****.

NL Claret
Been Liked: 515 times
Has Liked: 209 times

Post by NL Claret » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:40 pm

Reecey1987 wrote:Charlie adam has commented on john percys post on twitter . He says its a good signing
And what does he know? It's not like he's played at the top level unlike some UTC posters.

If the Stoke fans forum are disappointed with him leaving that's good enough for me.

JohnMcGreal
Been Liked: 1344 times
Has Liked: 438 times

Post by JohnMcGreal » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:42 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Because of Taylor’s limited experience. He was perfect to come in and back up Ward but just felt we needed an experienced player in.

Generally I’d agree with you but given the age of Taylor as well I think some experience would be useful.
Fair do's, I can see the logic in that. In all fairness, I don't think this is a bad signing. He seems like a perfectly adequate back up for Taylor should we ever need him, and probably isn't going to cost much.

I do still have concerns that we've somewhat strayed away from our previous model of signing promising young players who can fight their way into the first team before being sold for a big fee. It served us well for a good number of years and we seem to be making less and less of those types of signings recently, preferring to bring in older, experienced players instead.

That said, the transfer window is open for another month, so I guess we'll have to wait and see who else we bring in.
Last edited by JohnMcGreal on Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:45 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Reecey1987
Been Liked: 217 times
Has Liked: 97 times

Post by Reecey1987 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:43 pm

NL Claret wrote:And what does he know? It's not like he's played at the top level unlike some UTC posters.

If the Stoke fans forum are disappointed with him leaving that's good enough for me.
Considering he was his team mate for quite a while he knows what kind of player he his . Obviously he still thinks hes got a lot to offer .

SkiptonClaret
Been Liked: 294 times
Has Liked: 92 times

Post by SkiptonClaret » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:45 pm

Over 30 and from Stoke, solid pro. Ticks all the boxes. Cracking signing.
This user liked this post: cockneyclaret

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2488 times
Has Liked: 760 times

Post by ksrclaret » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:48 pm

SkiptonClaret wrote:Over 30 and from Stoke, solid pro. Ticks all the boxes. Cracking signing.
Your kind of signing this one, isn't it Skipton.

Just hoping we can snap up Geoff Cameron, Ryan Shawcross and Mame Biram Diouf before the start of the season.

SkiptonClaret

Post by SkiptonClaret » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:52 pm

ksrclaret wrote:Your kind of signing this one, isn't it Skipton.

Just hoping we can snap up Geoff Cameron, Ryan Shawcross and Mame Biram Diouf before the start of the season.
Bob on. It’s a quality signing.
This user liked this post: cockneyclaret

claretdj

Post by claretdj » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:53 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Bit like Bardsley you mean?
No bit like Walters n Crouch I mean. ;)

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2097 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:53 pm

JohnMcGreal wrote:Fair do's, I can see the logic in that. In all fairness, I don't think this is a bad signing. He seems like a perfectly adequate back up for Taylor should we ever need him, and probably isn't going to cost much.

I do still have concerns that we've somewhat strayed away from our previous model of signing promising young players who can fight their way into the first team before being sold for a big fee. It served us well for a good number of years and we seem to be making less and less of those types of signings recently, preferring to bring in older, experienced players instead.

That said, the transfer window is open for another month, so I guess we'll have to wait and see who else we bring in.
Tbf signing young players with potential hasn't been our model since Eddie Howe was here. We all know Dyche prefers experience.

TVC15

Post by TVC15 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:54 pm

BOYSIE31 wrote:I would have more appreciation of dyche if the football on show was better on the eye but it's not it's awful to watch - also if he looked further afield for players than British.
Last summer he spent £27million plus wages on players and not played them as the form up to Jan was absymal (I know Gibson got injured) but come on do we have the money to throw away every year No - file under crouch /Walters and others and don't get me started of why we signed wells
These players have taken millions from the club :o
If you read our accounts and understood them then you’d see that we can afford it yes. We don’t buy players in the knowledge they may get injured or won’t be good enough to break into the first team etc.
Feel free to name me any team in the Premier League who has not made expensive transfers that have not gone as well as they hoped....and whilst you are trying to find one tell me the teams who over the past 5 years have made less expensive mistakes than Burnley.

Seriously you are living in cloud cuckoo land - you don’t like Dyche or his football or his transfers or the fact that he is pretty much solely responsible for making our club financially stable for many years to come.

You think his football is awful to watch forgetting the great football we played to get 2 promotions and the great football we played at other times - especially the season before last.

Seriously i’d suggest you follow a different club if you think it can get better than the last 6 years.
This user liked this post: BertiesBeehole

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:55 pm

jrgbfc wrote:Tbf signing young players with potential hasn't been our model since Eddie Howe was here. We all know Dyche prefers experience.
I don't think that is down to our choice. A young up and coming player - who would you go to, Chelsea or Burnley.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:59 pm

claretdj wrote:No bit like Walters n Crouch I mean. ;)
Walters would have been a cracking signing but for the injury he picked up, Bardsley has been terrific.

Crouch, not for me, but was no more than short term deal.

More than happy with Pieters who is younger than all those and is an experienced Premier League player.
These 4 users liked this post: claretdj randomclaret2 LeuvenClaret Quicknick

claretdj

Post by claretdj » Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:59 pm

FactualFrank wrote:I don't think that is down to our choice. A young up and coming player - who would you go to, Chelsea or Burnley.
By your logic we cant sign any young players then? :lol:

cockneyclaret
Been Liked: 277 times
Has Liked: 3288 times

Post by cockneyclaret » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:00 pm

SkiptonClaret wrote:Over 30 and from Stoke, solid pro. Ticks all the boxes. Cracking signing.
Spot on, Taylor is undoubtedly number one, but this is an excellent squad player.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:00 pm

jrgbfc wrote:Tbf signing young players with potential hasn't been our model since Eddie Howe was here. We all know Dyche prefers experience.
Not the case at all. We have signed a number of players whose values have increased significantly since Dyche has been manager.

SkiptonClaret

Post by SkiptonClaret » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:01 pm

I find it strangely reassuring in these times of general uncertainty that our scouting network has advanced no further than the Potteries. Don’t you ? #hardbrexit

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2488 times
Has Liked: 760 times

Post by ksrclaret » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:02 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Crouch, not for me, but was no more than short term deal.
That's not true, is it?

Dyche wants him back for another year

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:03 pm

cockneyclaret wrote:Spot on, Taylor is undoubtedly number one, but this is an excellent squad player.
Skiptonclaret was being sarcastic. He described Dyche as a shocking appointment on the day he got the job and despite our fantastic record since he’s never changed. The proverbial broken record.

I agree with you, an excellent signing.