Strong looking squad

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
diamondpocket
Been Liked: 254 times
Has Liked: 215 times

Strong looking squad

Post by diamondpocket » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:34 pm

After the 2 recent signings, where else do we need strengthening?

GK: Heats, Pope, Hart
RB: Bardsley, Lowton
LB: Taylor, Pieters
CB: Mee, Tarks, Long, Gibson, Dunne
LM: Dwight, Brady
RM; JBG, Lennon
CM: Defour, Cork, Westy, Hendrick
CF: Jay, Barnes, Wood, Vydra

Missing anyone?

Looks like we have 2 for evey position at least although Lennon (quality) & Defour (injuries)are still my doubts therefore a new CM and RM for me, preferably good upcoming youngsters we can bed in and get ready for next season.

SonofPog
Been Liked: 157 times
Has Liked: 82 times

Re: Strong looking squad

Post by SonofPog » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:39 pm

Said it yourself, a CM and RM.

I expected Jarred Bowen to get snapped up early, as that hasn't happened maybe he would be viable for RM (he's more of a Inside Forward in a 433 though right?)
A bit of power & physicality in the centre mid would be nice.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3841 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:41 pm

Just need an intercepting CM. Athletic, strong chap who stops teams coming through the middle.
This user liked this post: Darnhill Claret

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4044 times
Has Liked: 1846 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:55 pm

Certainly midfield, but also important is keeping hold of our existing valuable players.
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

claretspice
Been Liked: 2801 times
Has Liked: 138 times

Post by claretspice » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:59 pm

i'd love to see someone pacey who could be both an extra option out wide and another option up front - someone in the mould of Callum Robinson at PNE or Bowen, say. My doubt about Bowen is he strikes me as fairly similar in style and type to JBG, so I don't know if he'd add too much variety to the squad.

I think we'd all love another central midfielder, but I think that's only viable if someone is leaving, either in midfield (Defour?) or out wide (say Lennon, which would make sense if we see Hendrick playing the "Arfield role" on a regular basis).

But it's a strong squad - and a big squad. I think you've missed Wells off that list, for example. It wouldn't be a surprise to see some fringe players leave before more arrive.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5202 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:12 pm

To view it with a more critical eye you could just as much highlight the following weaknesses

- A little short in the starting RB position
- Back up for right CB ok for odd games but not much more and our main third choice CB is very one sided
- Short in CM and need a player whose gonna seriously challenge Cork and Westwood for a starting spot
- Not convinced by Lennon anymore at this level and Brady is very hit and miss with injury's and form so could do with a young winger to develop alongside McNeil
- 4th choice striker and option for quick nippy striker seems well out of favour with manager
- Risk squad is getting to old and with our prudent approach to transfers trying to refresh it is getting harder by the year

Squad is decent with the two additions but need a good CM to make it a good window and to be a great window Id have liked to have seen Lennon or Vydra moved on with a young promising player in their place.

We need some forward planning too on the right side of defence as Bardsley will need replacing next summer and I doubt Tarks will still be about

buzzclarets79
Been Liked: 227 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by buzzclarets79 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:30 pm

diamondpocket wrote:After the 2 recent signings, where else do we need strengthening?

GK: Heats, Pope, Hart
RB: Bardsley, Lowton
LB: Taylor, Pieters
CB: Mee, Tarks, Long, Gibson, Dunne
LM: Dwight, Brady
RM; JBG, Lennon
CM: Defour, Cork, Westy, Hendrick
CF: Jay, Barnes, Wood, Vydra

Missing anyone?

Looks like we have 2 for evey position at least although Lennon (quality) & Defour (injuries)are still my doubts therefore a new CM and RM for me, preferably good upcoming youngsters we can bed in and get ready for next season.
If you include Wells in that list it gives you a 25 man squad, however given Dwight's age I don't think he has be registered to play as under 21,(same as Dunne, however think he'll leave on loan) so that leaves us with two spaces to fill, unless others leave.

For me a centre mid is a must.
Then a toss up for either a RB or wide man but as long as a centre mid comes in I'd be happy with the dealings this summer which I also assume haven't broke the bank

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:33 pm

buzzclarets79 wrote:If you include Wells in that list it gives you a 25 man squad, however given Dwight's age I don't think he has be registered to play as under 21,(same as Dunne, however think he'll leave on loan) so that leaves us with two spaces to fill, unless others leave.

For me a centre mid is a must.
Then a toss up for either a RB or wide man but as long as a centre mid comes in I'd be happy with the dealings this summer which I also assume haven't broke the bank
Why a RB?

SirAlec
Been Liked: 37 times
Has Liked: 75 times

Post by SirAlec » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:41 pm

I think with Phil Bardsley age and the inconsistent form of Lowton a new RB is quite high on the list of priorities if not this summer than certainly next year. I can’t see Lowton improving as a footballer much further and we really need better if we are to kick on to the next level.

Spike
Been Liked: 594 times
Has Liked: 1225 times

Post by Spike » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:48 pm

Strong squad and with everyone fit and firing would be great.

It’s those players that have recently been made of glass that are the worry.

Hopefully we will Hang onto Tom and Tarks and add a few but not that annoying prat from the Carphone whorehouse

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:49 pm

Given that we've filled a couple of our gaps with pretty cheap buys I'd like us to look at a centre midfielder who is better than our existing ones. They wouldn't be cheap, we'd very probably be looking at £20m+ but we can afford that type of fee.

I'd also like to see a young centre-half to replace Long. Tomori is obviously the one that's linked or someone of that ilk.

buzzclarets79
Been Liked: 227 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by buzzclarets79 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:01 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:Why a RB?
Because I don't see Bardsley going past this season, Lowton no spring chicken either, If we could get someone in the mould of Charlie Taylor but for the right I think we'd be looking good, gives them 12 months to settle in as well which seems to be the way of things.

The centre mid is an absolute must for me first though

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3137 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Post by boatshed bill » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:04 pm

A bit more muscle in centre midfield would be nice.
I'm guessing TH will be off soon, so maybe another goalkeeper.
This user liked this post: rutlandclaret

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:06 pm

buzzclarets79 wrote:Because I don't see Bardsley going past this season, Lowton no spring chicken either, If we could get someone in the mould of Charlie Taylor but for the right I think we'd be looking good, gives them 12 months to settle in as well which seems to be the way of things.

The centre mid is an absolute must for me first though
Bardsley has just signed a new 1 year deal, so I think it's probably accepted he won't be here after next summer.

Lowton is only 30, just recently, so we've still got time to get in a younger player next summer when Bardsley departs and they will have time to bed in, like Taylor did.

Lord Beamish
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:23 pm

Potential injury aside, Lowton(who’s just turned 30) is really reaching the sweet spot of his career; just like Ward did three years ago. I reckon we’ll get at least two good years out of him, maybe three if we’re back in the Championship.

Reecey1987
Been Liked: 217 times
Has Liked: 97 times

Post by Reecey1987 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:26 pm

Anybody know what squad numbers are still up for grabs ?

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10916 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:30 pm

the whole world knows we need as good a CM as we can afford, we've spent next to nothing so far and have got 2 good players through the door. I'm full expecting the bid to go in for Kante within the next 24hrs :D

AndyClaret
Been Liked: 217 times
Has Liked: 543 times

Post by AndyClaret » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:41 pm

Reecey1987 wrote:Anybody know what squad numbers are still up for grabs ?
8 and 11, Jay has taken 19, wood 9.
This user liked this post: Reecey1987

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:51 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:the whole world knows we need as good a CM as we can afford
Really?

No-one seemed to be saying our problems were in midfield last season. The finger of blame was pointed firmly at our defence and Hart in goal.

tarkys_ears
Been Liked: 1016 times
Has Liked: 1484 times

Post by tarkys_ears » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:53 pm

How many haven't been relegated from the PL?

aggi

Post by aggi » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:57 pm

Spijed wrote:Really?

No-one seemed to be saying our problems were in midfield last season. The finger of blame was pointed firmly at our defence and Hart in goal.
Loads of people were saying our problems were in midfield. Look back and you'll see plenty of threads saying how poor Cork was playing for instance.
These 2 users liked this post: burnleymik jojomk1

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:04 pm

aggi wrote:Loads of people were saying our problems were in midfield. Look back and you'll see plenty of threads saying how poor Cork was playing for instance.
That was only on here though, not to the outside world as Vegas Claret implied.

To everyone else we only had issues with our defence.

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:04 pm

To move forward CM has to be strengthened imo. I’d be happy to see one go ( not Westwood / Defour) to accommodate the player. This is one area where it will probably cost us but our squad would then look good. Next summer RB would need to be strengthened.

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3841 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:08 pm

Do you actually read the threads on here Spijed?

aggi

Post by aggi » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:09 pm

Spijed wrote:That was only on here though, not to the outside world as Vegas Claret implied.

To everyone else we only had issues with our defence.
I'm pretty sure that anyone who watched us, including the rest of the Premier league teams, could see that we had problems in midfield.
These 4 users liked this post: boatshed bill elwaclaret tiger76 burnleymik

Marney&Mee
Been Liked: 655 times
Has Liked: 7 times

Post by Marney&Mee » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:10 pm

Throw Mooy and Bowen (not Jim) into the mix and we're good to go...

JohnDearyMe
Been Liked: 666 times
Has Liked: 2041 times

Post by JohnDearyMe » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:11 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:To view it with a more critical eye you could just as much highlight the following weaknesses

- A little short in the starting RB position
- Back up for right CB ok for odd games but not much more and our main third choice CB is very one sided
- Short in CM and need a player whose gonna seriously challenge Cork and Westwood for a starting spot
- Not convinced by Lennon anymore at this level and Brady is very hit and miss with injury's and form so could do with a young winger to develop alongside McNeil
- 4th choice striker and option for quick nippy striker seems well out of favour with manager
- Risk squad is getting to old and with our prudent approach to transfers trying to refresh it is getting harder by the year

Squad is decent with the two additions but need a good CM to make it a good window and to be a great window Id have liked to have seen Lennon or Vydra moved on with a young promising player in their place.

We need some forward planning too on the right side of defence as Bardsley will need replacing next summer and I doubt Tarks will still be about
I'd agree with most of that, particularly the need to bolster our midfield

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:13 pm

are you kidding ? :lol:

Corks lack of form last season (which was bizarre considering he was our best player in the Europa games) was by far our biggest issue, I'll be eternally thankful that Westwood was exceptional !!

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3137 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Post by boatshed bill » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:18 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:are you kidding ? :lol:

Corks lack of form last season (which was bizarre considering he was our best player in the Europa games) was by far our biggest issue, I'll be eternally thankful that Westwood was exceptional !!
Cork, I think it's more a case of him being over used.

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:25 pm

Quickenthetempo wrote:Do you actually read the threads on here Spijed?
Go on then, find some opinion from elsewhere that clearly questions our midfield and not our defence, and in particular our situation in goal, once Heaton replaced Joe Hart?

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:26 pm

Vegas Claret wrote:are you kidding ? :lol:

I think you'll find the view from outside of BFC was that Hart was the big problem for us last season. Once he was replaced we were seem as a far better side.

summitclaret
Been Liked: 826 times
Has Liked: 1307 times

Post by summitclaret » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:30 pm

Not true. There was loads on the need to deal with the gap caused by Defour's fitness issues before the season even started. Also lots of concern about Jack's form before Xmas.

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:32 pm

Spijed wrote:I think you'll find the view from outside of BFC was that Hart was the big problem for us last season. Once he was replaced we were seem as a far better side.
No it wasn't. Outside the club most people just looked at Harts stats which were really good and he was more seen as the saving grace.

It was the supporters closer to the club who recognised there seemed to be more issues at play around how settled the defence was in front of Hart compared to Heaton

Tall Paul
Been Liked: 2560 times
Has Liked: 690 times

Post by Tall Paul » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:39 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:No it wasn't. Outside the club most people just looked at Harts stats which were really good and he was more seen as the saving grace.

It was the supporters closer to the club who recognised there seemed to be more issues at play around how settled the defence was in front of Hart compared to Heaton
Apart from this article where the writer looks at the stats and concludes that "Joe Hart is bad and Tom Heaton is good".

https://statsbomb.com/2019/02/the-great ... er-switch/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This user liked this post: Spijed

Vegas Claret

Post by Vegas Claret » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:44 pm

boatshed bill wrote:Cork, I think it's more a case of him being over used.
quite possibly !

Devils_Advocate

Post by Devils_Advocate » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:45 pm

Tall Paul wrote:Apart from this stats based article which concludes that "Joe Hart is bad and Tom Heaton is good".

https://statsbomb.com/2019/02/the-great ... er-switch/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yep this was later once our form improved after the changes. In the first half of the season Hart wasn't being highlighted outside the club as the problem whereas by Nov Burnley fans were blaming Hart demanding Heaton or Pope should come in.

Just to be clear Im not expressing any opinion on what our issues were and who was right or wrong but just pointing out that the criticism towards Hart as our major weakness was much more prevalent amongst our fans than amongst the wider media.

If you disagree fair enough but one article doesnt really make a difference to my point

claretbob
Been Liked: 141 times
Has Liked: 8 times

Post by claretbob » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:56 pm

I always get terribly confused coming on here. Every year our transfer dealings are absolutely terrible but somehow we seem to have ended up with a squad that looks well capable of keeping us in the premier league for a fifth consecutive season. How did we get here?
This user liked this post: keith1879

agreenwood
Been Liked: 1712 times
Has Liked: 269 times

Post by agreenwood » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:01 pm

Squads a bit stronger. It remains to be seen if we making any significant improvement to the first XI. There’s no guarantee that Jay will displace Barnes or Woods.
This user liked this post: jdrobbo

Erasmus
Been Liked: 574 times
Has Liked: 44 times

Post by Erasmus » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:50 pm

The problem with centre midfield might not have been to do with personnel but due to our playing 4-4-2 when most opposition teams played some variation on 4-5-1. 4-4-2 worked very well for us with Wood and Barnes hurting defences, but it did mean that the central two were outnumbered at times, and so didn't look like they were doing the job.
These 3 users liked this post: rob63 elwaclaret boatshed bill

mybloodisclaret
Been Liked: 686 times
Has Liked: 3950 times

Post by mybloodisclaret » Tue Jul 09, 2019 9:52 pm

A box to box midfield general please and for me we are there.

claretspice
Been Liked: 2801 times
Has Liked: 138 times

Post by claretspice » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:10 pm

agreenwood wrote:Squads a bit stronger. It remains to be seen if we making any significant improvement to the first XI. There’s no guarantee that Jay will displace Barnes or Woods.
No guarantee, but he definitely offers a different sort of player to either of them, and it's easy to imagine us playing a more constructive brand of football with Jay dropping in to link between midfield and attack. He's got a surer touch, a better quality and range of passing (I've an idea we'll see Jay switching the ball out to the flanks much more effectively than any Burnley forward since Ings) and he operates on the half turn. Might well help bring the best out of the midfield 2 because he'll drop in to help them in possession as well as out of it, too.

Squad most definitely stronger than it was, and I think the first XI probably is too. And it's only early July.

LaLigaClaret
Been Liked: 191 times
Has Liked: 34 times

Post by LaLigaClaret » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:13 pm

I read somewhere that Dunne may be leaving or at least another club were interested. Defour injury scenario is concerning. Tarks leaving could be an issue. Heaton may be going. So there are still some issues to be considered. We still need some more pace in the team. We could do with a hard tackling midfield option and someone with creativity and ability to score more goals from midfield so perhaps offloading Lennon or Brady or Defour and getting a replacement.

rob63
Been Liked: 186 times
Has Liked: 586 times

Post by rob63 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:17 pm

AndyClaret wrote:8 and 11, Jay has taken 19, wood 9.
I was surprised Jay didn't take 8 or 11 but I think he's had 19 before, could be a superstition thing?

GodIsADeeJay81

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:25 pm

claretbob wrote:I always get terribly confused coming on here. Every year our transfer dealings are absolutely terrible but somehow we seem to have ended up with a squad that looks well capable of keeping us in the premier league for a fifth consecutive season. How did we get here?
The clubs board are banned from reading UTC when they're thinking about buying/selling players and Dyche is forbidden to look on here for tactical advice.

jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4800 times
Has Liked: 943 times

Post by jdrobbo » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:36 pm

Nearly there, but as has been my call for well over a year now, Bowen remains my ‘go to’ player. Just go and bloody get him Burnley!

rob63

Post by rob63 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:36 pm

LaLigaClaret wrote:I read somewhere that Dunne may be leaving or at least another club were interested. Defour injury scenario is concerning. Tarks leaving could be an issue. Heaton may be going. So there are still some issues to be considered. We still need some more pace in the team. We could do with a hard tackling midfield option and someone with creativity and ability to score more goals from midfield so perhaps offloading Lennon or Brady or Defour and getting a replacement.
There's plenty of hard-tackling midfielders in LaLiga, LaLiga :lol: but for God's sake don't suggest any names on here, you'll get trolled from pillar to post.............

Bop
Been Liked: 243 times
Has Liked: 343 times

Post by Bop » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:45 pm

Westwood should be a starter. Anyone who scoops players player and the bulk of supporters awards should be starting.
Last edited by Bop on Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

RVclaret
Been Liked: 3707 times
Has Liked: 2499 times

Post by RVclaret » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:01 pm

If we sell Heaton for circa £10m, then a £15-20m purchase of Bowen is a net £5-10m spend.

Bowen fits the mould for us under Dyche and would be an excellent addition.

This allows room for another big ish (£10-15m) spend on a centre mid too.

It would be an outstanding window if this maps out.

rob63

Post by rob63 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:10 pm

RVclaret wrote:If we sell Heaton for circa £10m, then a £15-20m purchase of Bowen is a net £5-10m spend.

Bowen fits the mould for us under Dyche and would be an excellent addition.

This allows room for another big ish (£10-15m) spend on a centre mid too.

It would be an outstanding window if this maps out.
They'd have to bring £40m in for Tarkowski before they'd spend £30m on two players! And you don't get much class in CM either for £10-15m

Claretmatt4
Been Liked: 1049 times
Has Liked: 723 times

Post by Claretmatt4 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:43 am

A Fernandinho type central midfielder and we're in a very strong place