Most over rated Burnley player. (EVER)

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Local cricketer
Been Liked: 412 times
Has Liked: 87 times

Re: Most over rated Burnley player. (EVER)

Post by Local cricketer » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:08 am

I remember once hearing someone say Marvin Bartley was the championships answer to Yaya Toure

SGr
Been Liked: 1022 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Post by SGr » Mon Jul 15, 2019 10:24 am

Not saying the player himself is overrated, but Ben Mee had an overrated season last year. Was really quite poor for about half of it.

Don’t get the JBG call tbh, for about that same time he was basically our only attacking player. Yeah, he does have a good few games where he goes missing but the assists record speaks for itself. Not blessed with serious pace so don’t understand why you’d want a left footed right winger, with a great cross on him to try and take men on on the outside. Weird.
This user liked this post: claretcarrot93

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:02 am

It’s hard to compare different eras - as much as I thought Nick Pickering was a useless waste of space we had no money and if you bought a player who was over the hill it’s a bit irrelevant that he used to play for England.

I went on the radio Lancashire phone in to discuss the Liam Robinson signing - my gripe was not that he was overrated but that we had just paid £250k - which was a hell of a lot of money for us back then - for a centre forward who had scored only a couple of goals in 30 odd games for Bury. I thought the signing reeked of corruption and still do ! He was awful when he played for Burnley because he was already awful.

2 players that came to us with a bit of a reputation as good players were Mark Ford and the United lad O Kane who I think Ferguson had Everton’s pants down by selling him to them for £800k (like SAF did to so many clubs selling them his conveyor belt of so called talent)

Ford and O Kane were both awful - I mean really bad. They had nothing....I remember watching O Kane and thinking how is he a professional footballer. They were both young lads and you can see how bad they were based on you would have to google them both to see what happened to them after !!

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Jul 15, 2019 11:05 am

elwaclaret wrote:I don’t get the joke in making yourself look a nob just for replies. Tbh
Me neither, I'm just the spectator, but it seems to happen quite a lot on here.

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:26 pm

bartons baggage wrote:For me it has to be JBG.
The lad is **** poor on a good day.
First name on the team sheet for me...don't know what you've been watching but it ain't him.

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:32 pm

TVC15 wrote:It’s hard to compare different eras - as much as I thought Nick Pickering was a useless waste of space we had no money and if you bought a player who was over the hill it’s a bit irrelevant that he used to play for England.

I went on the radio Lancashire phone in to discuss the Liam Robinson signing - my gripe was not that he was overrated but that we had just paid £250k - which was a hell of a lot of money for us back then - for a centre forward who had scored only a couple of goals in 30 odd games for Bury. I thought the signing reeked of corruption and still do ! He was awful when he played for Burnley because he was already awful.

2 players that came to us with a bit of a reputation as good players were Mark Ford and the United lad O Kane who I think Ferguson had Everton’s pants down by selling him to them for £800k (like SAF did to so many clubs selling them his conveyor belt of so called talent)

Ford and O Kane were both awful - I mean really bad. They had nothing....I remember watching O Kane and thinking how is he a professional footballer. They were both young lads and you can see how bad they were based on you would have to google them both to see what happened to them after !!
I think anyone from the dark days of the lower divisions shouldn't count because we are talking about OVER rated and around that period we didn't really have anyone who was even rated at all. We all look through rose specs at the Orient game and talk about the 'heroes' of that day but they were the same players who got us in the mire in the first place. I suppose the only thing about that day (apart from winning) was that it was a turning point.
This user liked this post: Siddo

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:40 pm

There's only one Mark Caughey :mrgreen:

LoveCurryPies
Been Liked: 1599 times
Has Liked: 679 times

Post by LoveCurryPies » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:55 pm

bartons baggage wrote:For me it has to be JBG.
The lad is **** poor on a good day.

You do realise after a statement like this, nothing you will say in the future can be taken seriously? :lol:
This user liked this post: summitclaret

JTClaret
Been Liked: 181 times
Has Liked: 119 times

Post by JTClaret » Mon Jul 15, 2019 3:56 pm

Well as a conversation starter it did the trick haha

Amazing how views can differ. I see JBG as a great player, and at times our BEST player.
I also think of Ashley Barnes as under-rated because people can only see his battling and gamesmanship... despite his fantastic touch as ferocious shot.
This user liked this post: Stalbansclaret

Im_not_Robbie_Blake
Been Liked: 381 times
Has Liked: 232 times

Post by Im_not_Robbie_Blake » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:26 pm

Ross Wallace

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:31 pm

KlyBfc wrote:Someone is clearly fishing with Dave the assist machine Jones

Back to topic........
absolutely 100% Ashley Barnes..... only rated because he works hard / fights folk a bit like Dean Marney... zero ability but gets away with murder because of his application to the Burnley cause
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Imploding Turtle
Been Liked: 5483 times
Has Liked: 2540 times

Post by Imploding Turtle » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:36 pm

Martin Paterson

I never understood why people thought he was so good. All he did was run a lot and sometimes score.

Edit: I'm not saying he was bad, just not anywhere near as good as people seemed to think he was.

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2317 times
Has Liked: 1399 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:45 pm

Steven Fletcher. Couldn't finish off himself. So many guilt edged chances missed in our first PL season contributed to us losing vital points and as a result relegation. Oh but he had a 'lovely first touch' :roll:

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:54 pm

Chris Mcann or whatever he was called. Utter dross

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Mon Jul 15, 2019 6:57 pm

LoveCurryPies wrote:You do realise after a statement like this, nothing you will say in the future can be taken seriously? :lol:
JBG is a decent championship player at best. Out of his depth in the Premier League

JohnDearyMe
Been Liked: 666 times
Has Liked: 2041 times

Post by JohnDearyMe » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:27 pm

elwaclaret wrote:
Mark Ford was highly rated by Waddle, there was excitement I remember when we took him from Leeds, as he was being bigged up as on the point of breaking into the first team... to say it never happened for him is being generous.

Ford is a good shout. Remember him being the Waddle signing i was most looking forward to seeing. Very disappointing player for us

Siddo
Been Liked: 374 times
Has Liked: 1860 times

Post by Siddo » Mon Jul 15, 2019 7:41 pm

The topic is about over rated players, big reputation but doesn't or didn't deliver.
I'm not sure Tarky is all that to be honest. I think he's over rated. His best ever game was the man in the mask game.

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1147 times
Has Liked: 180 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Mon Jul 15, 2019 8:03 pm

Top Claret wrote:JBG is a decent championship player at best. Out of his depth in the Premier League
Correct ! I’ve always liked JBG as he’s a real trier but often woefully out of his depth against the better sides .That said he was a bargain buy and never highly rated so unfair for him to be classed as “ overrated “ imo.

keith1879
Been Liked: 262 times
Has Liked: 363 times

Post by keith1879 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:05 pm

BurnleyFC wrote:Going off some of the posts idolising him - Steven Defour, sadly.

I’ve even seen posts on here saying he’s the best player to have played for us since we last won the league :lol:
Was wondering if it was just me that thinks this. i never thought he was more than good ....but when you look at his injury record he must be very expensive in terms of money paid per minute played.

South West Claret.
Been Liked: 766 times
Has Liked: 499 times

Post by South West Claret. » Tue Jul 16, 2019 2:22 pm

JohnDearyMe wrote:Ford is a good shout. Remember him being the Waddle signing i was most looking forward to seeing. Very disappointing player for us
Ford yes forgot about that serial underachiever £275,000 wasn't it from Weeds Disunited?

Stalbansclaret
Been Liked: 1658 times
Has Liked: 2963 times

Post by Stalbansclaret » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:38 pm

JBG is one of our best players in terms of technical ability, a regular Icelandic international and one of my favourite current Clarets. To see some of the ludicrous and idiotic comments on here about him...maybe topped only by the one stating Ashley Barnes has "zero ability" ...indicates we have some fans who truly don't know anything about football.
If "fishing" is the reason for these comments then those making them are even more pitiful ...I'm another who just doesn't get why anyone would want to present themselves as a moron in order to irritate other people.

trawdenclaret
Been Liked: 9 times

Post by trawdenclaret » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:58 pm

Tony Hancock !!!!

Dyched
Been Liked: 1921 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:04 pm

I think some people don’t understand the thread. Many players were **** and never rated. This thread is about players that are talked about as world beaters but generally never do nowt.

JBG. Just Bang Garbage.

Claretmatt4
Been Liked: 1049 times
Has Liked: 723 times

Post by Claretmatt4 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:18 pm

Mental thread. JBG the most overrated burnley player ever? Pull the other one.

Jensen always split the fan base. Liked the Steven Fletcher shout too, didn't really score many goals, missed a hateful but got a big money move after one year...

Burnleyareback2
Been Liked: 772 times
Has Liked: 1426 times

Post by Burnleyareback2 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:26 pm

Based on the comments I read, If Vydra doesn’t get the ballon d’or this season he will be the most recent over rated player (ever)

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Wed Jul 17, 2019 12:09 am

Conroy92 wrote:How about the young lad John Cofie? Moved at 16 to united for a million, think I saw a poster saying he was in non league football now?

After watching Steve Jones debut (when I think he scored 2 against QPR?) I thought he'd be a real player for us, he was bobbins after that.

The mentions of David Jones, Barnes and JBG are ridiculous.
Aye john coffie....there was a "race"? Horse of the same name. That was Sh!te to.

dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:10 am

In terms of being overrated, Paul Atkinson came with an England cap and played really well in his first game, a 6-0 win against York. That was it. He did nothing more. He was expected to be great in the fourth division, and he wasn't.

jollyjack
Been Liked: 107 times
Has Liked: 20 times

Post by jollyjack » Wed Jul 17, 2019 2:30 pm

Overrated (at least until we'd seen him kick a ball in C&B) - Paul Gascoigne.