Tom Heaton - Burnley Legend?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5517 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Tom Heaton - Burnley Legend?

Post by TheFamilyCat » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:59 am

The term legend, like iconic is thrown about far too readily these days.

Will Tom be remembered as a true legend of the club, up there with Potts, Adamson, McIlroy, Dobson etc?

For me, he definitely will be.
These 2 users liked this post: BOYSIE31 whiffa

SGr
Been Liked: 1022 times
Has Liked: 307 times

Re: Tom Heaton - Burnley Legend?

Post by SGr » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:00 am

Obviously.

claret10
Been Liked: 145 times
Has Liked: 32 times

Post by claret10 » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:01 am

Absolutely....His celebrations at Ewood cemented that status a long time ago!

brexit
Been Liked: 234 times
Has Liked: 58 times

Post by brexit » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:01 am

No - paid a wage did his job

theroyaldyche
Been Liked: 505 times
Has Liked: 245 times

Post by theroyaldyche » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:01 am

Hel get a round of applause from me when he wears another kit at the turf
This user liked this post: whiffa

martin_p
Been Liked: 3764 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:02 am

Well he’s now got three threads about him in the top dozen or so on the board and you only get that honour if you’re a legend or a liability!
This user liked this post: Jel

Swizzlestick
Been Liked: 1503 times
Has Liked: 577 times

Post by Swizzlestick » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:03 am

brexit wrote:No - paid a wage did his job
Imagine viewing football this clinically.
This user liked this post: Juan Tanamera

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3580 times
Has Liked: 1023 times

Post by jedi_master » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:05 am

It's interesting how he will be revered in this manner, and rightly so, yet he has (when all is said and done) left for more money when the club wanted him to stay.

Just like Robbie Blake, Andy Gray, Kurt Nogan........Owen Coyle etc etc.

Perhaps it is because of the status we all hold him in that the reality of his departure will be overlooked. Certainly for me, he is a legend. If I was doing my best ever Burnley team he would walk into it, and he seems a thoroughly down to Earth, lovely bloke who has been a great ambassador for our club. I will miss him, a lot.
This user liked this post: Spike

TheFamilyCat
Been Liked: 5517 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by TheFamilyCat » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:10 am

SGr wrote:Obviously.
I don’t think it’s obvious, hence the question. It’ depends on where anyone sets the bar for legend status.

I’m particularly interested in whether those who were old enough and lucky enough to see our teams of the ‘60’s put him in the same bracket as hose players.

dermotdermot
Been Liked: 660 times
Has Liked: 205 times

Post by dermotdermot » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:16 am

On this occasion Burnley should have at least matched Villa’s offer if that’s what it was all down to. An extremely sad day.

scouseclaret
Been Liked: 857 times
Has Liked: 264 times

Post by scouseclaret » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:20 am

brexit wrote:No - paid a wage did his job
Clearly there are no “legends”.

Goodclaret
Been Liked: 543 times
Has Liked: 1505 times

Post by Goodclaret » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:25 am

He is for me, yes. Not only has he been a huge part of our recent success, his professional performance off the pitch has been second to none. I'm not sure you'll meet a nicer bloke. A sad day but, fortunately, we crack on as Burnley FC and we will create some new legends. Cheers Tom, it's been a bloody pleasure!
This user liked this post: Spike

scouseclaret

Post by scouseclaret » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:26 am

For me, he’s definitely up there, and I don’t think it’s fair to compare him to some of his predecessors who have jumped ship for more money. Sometimes we just have to accept that a move makes sense for all parties.

We are on the fortunate position of having a surplus of decent goalkeepers, and whilst I’ve always thought Heaton edged it, Pope is a very capable replacement, and is several years younger. Therefore we didn’t need to accede to Heaton’s wage demands, and from his point of view, and at at his stage of career, it makes sense to Take the best offer on the table.

Gutted to see him go, but nothing but good memories and respect from me.
This user liked this post: Goodclaret

LoveCurryPies
Been Liked: 1599 times
Has Liked: 679 times

Post by LoveCurryPies » Thu Aug 01, 2019 10:37 am

I don’t think we could have asked for more from Tom. Really sad to see him go. I’ve every confidence in Nick Pope....just hope he’s fully fit.

And yes I think “you’re always a Claret!” will be appropriate when he returns with Villa.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:38 am

Undoubtedly. His impact both to get us here and keep us here can’t be understated.

Some of them saves were incredible.

His leadership equally so.

And a top bloke and a great character to represent our club.

Best keeper in at least 30 years. Probably 50.
This user liked this post: Tread Warily

Down_Rover
Been Liked: 445 times
Has Liked: 187 times

Post by Down_Rover » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:43 am

dermotdermot wrote:On this occasion Burnley should have at least matched Villa’s offer if that’s what it was all down to. An extremely sad day.

It is not that simple. If Villa were offering say an extra £10k per week and we matched it then the whole squad would require a similar pay rise.

Sometimes from an economic point of view head has to come before heart

Good luck Tom you have been great and you will be welcomed back

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5000 times
Has Liked: 6715 times

Post by bfcjg » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:45 am

Yes.

paulatky
Been Liked: 220 times
Has Liked: 772 times

Post by paulatky » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:46 am

Dont think Heaton is leaving for the money,more likely wants 1st team PL football.
Once Pope signed that new 4 year deal Heats departure was always going to be an issue.
These 2 users liked this post: Bertiebeehead evensteadiereddie

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Thu Aug 01, 2019 12:56 pm

jedi_master wrote:It's interesting how he will be revered in this manner, and rightly so, yet he has (when all is said and done) left for more money when the club wanted him to stay.

Just like Robbie Blake, Andy Gray, Kurt Nogan........Owen Coyle etc etc.

Perhaps it is because of the status we all hold him in that the reality of his departure will be overlooked. Certainly for me, he is a legend. If I was doing my best ever Burnley team he would walk into it, and he seems a thoroughly down to Earth, lovely bloke who has been a great ambassador for our club. I will miss him, a lot.
I don't think he would walk into my best ever Burnley team. I personally would put Blacklaw (who to be fair I saw only very little of but know of his reputation before that) and Alan Stevenson (whose entire Burnley career I was fortunate enough to witness). As for Heaton's 'nice boy' image I don't know him and have never met him but listening to some on here you would be forgiven for thinking he was their best buddy. He's gone for selfish reasons (not meaning that in a bad way) so his love of the club is not what many make it out to be.

Is he a Burnley legend? I don't know. Legends come about for different reasons and it's difficult to qualify I think. To me a football legend is either a truly great player (Best/Pele/Maradonna/Messi/etc) or a player who has given a long service to a club (who might not even be that great a player), and Heaton doesn't fall into either of those categories. I will always have a great fondness for Heaton and what he has done for us but I don't get the 'death-in-the-family' feeling about his departure that some on here seem to have. And with Pope to step up (who we KNOW is good) and cover from Hart (not exactly a bad reserve) I don't think Heaton's leaving will make one iota of difference on the pitch (unless some of the defence spit their dummies out, which I doubt because Heaton CHOSE to leave).

What will be interesting is how he fairs at Villa. Has he been well protected at Burnley and would he be as good with a lesser defence? I'm not sayting that is the case but it will be an interesting situation to observe.

Lord Beamish
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:05 pm

If he isn’t a Burnley Legend, then the criteria must be so strict that barely anyone is.
These 3 users liked this post: Spike JohnDearyMe cricketfieldclarets

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5154 times
Has Liked: 795 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:07 pm

I'd love to read the Jason Shackell to Derby thread right about now.

JTClaret
Been Liked: 181 times
Has Liked: 119 times

Post by JTClaret » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:17 pm

He's got to be considered. Certainly done enough to get his dish on the side of Turf Moor.
First England player in years... what more do you want?

It would have been concrete if it was he who was in goal for the 7th season

Spike
Been Liked: 594 times
Has Liked: 1225 times

Post by Spike » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:26 pm

Having watched Burnley since the early 70s then Yes Heaton is a Burnley legend.

Legendary status to me is when I am really sad when the leave and I am sad he has gone

Sausage
Been Liked: 637 times
Has Liked: 441 times

Post by Sausage » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:31 pm

Definitely a legend.

dsr
Been Liked: 4548 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:32 pm

TheFamilyCat wrote:The term legend, like iconic is thrown about far too readily these days.

Will Tom be remembered as a true legend of the club, up there with Potts, Adamson, McIlroy, Dobson etc?

For me, he definitely will be.
Up there with Dobson, maybe. But Potts, Adamson, McIlroy were all at the club for donkeys' years longer than Heaton, and McIlroy at least turned down a huge pay rise to stay at Burnley, and they all won the league. No reason not to have fond memories, but objectively, he's not at that level.
This user liked this post: LeadBelly

scouseclaret

Post by scouseclaret » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:45 pm

houseboy wrote:I don't think he would walk into my best ever Burnley team. I personally would put Blacklaw (who to be fair I saw only very little of but know of his reputation before that) and Alan Stevenson (whose entire Burnley career I was fortunate enough to witness). As for Heaton's 'nice boy' image I don't know him and have never met him but listening to some on here you would be forgiven for thinking he was their best buddy. He's gone for selfish reasons (not meaning that in a bad way) so his love of the club is not what many make it out to be.

Is he a Burnley legend? I don't know. Legends come about for different reasons and it's difficult to qualify I think. To me a football legend is either a truly great player (Best/Pele/Maradonna/Messi/etc) or a player who has given a long service to a club (who might not even be that great a player), and Heaton doesn't fall into either of those categories. I will always have a great fondness for Heaton and what he has done for us but I don't get the 'death-in-the-family' feeling about his departure that some on here seem to have. And with Pope to step up (who we KNOW is good) and cover from Hart (not exactly a bad reserve) I don't think Heaton's leaving will make one iota of difference on the pitch (unless some of the defence spit their dummies out, which I doubt because Heaton CHOSE to leave).

What will be interesting is how he fairs at Villa. Has he been well protected at Burnley and would he be as good with a lesser defence? I'm not sayting that is the case but it will be an interesting situation to observe.
I too grew up with Alan Stevenson in goal and (as a goalkeeper in my school days) have a soft spot for him as a result, but no way was he better than Heaton.

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4044 times
Has Liked: 1846 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:50 pm

Maybe, in the modern common and widespread use of the word.
But up there with Jimmy Mac, Adamson, Lochhead, et al?

Not even close.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

Terrier
Been Liked: 227 times
Has Liked: 124 times

Post by Terrier » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:23 pm

Not until he has had a bar named after him .

bobinho
Been Liked: 4069 times
Has Liked: 6535 times

Post by bobinho » Thu Aug 01, 2019 6:46 pm

I haven't seen a better keeper play for Burnley. I'm 53.

He's an England keeper, and if England managers had picked the team based purely on form, he'd have a wardrobe full of caps.

Legend? Yes. Burnley legend.

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 1967 times
Has Liked: 1132 times

Post by FCBurnley » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:00 pm

I guess because of his local (Nelson ? ) family connection, I always felt Tom was a true Clarets Fan as well as a player. Now I`m not so sure but I guess he has to do what is best for himself and his Family. Think Villa have got a huge bargain and hope Tom is amazing in the Championship 2020/21. Burnley Legend ? not quite a Jimmy Mac but has done well for us and himself. Good Luck Tom

Richardsbfc
Been Liked: 66 times
Has Liked: 84 times

Post by Richardsbfc » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:19 pm

Absolutely not. He’s done well for us but far from a legend.

Darthlaw
Been Liked: 1177 times
Has Liked: 414 times

Post by Darthlaw » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:19 pm

Absolutely a club legend and certainly the best player I’ve seen in the BFC goal.

Am I irked that he’s left to join a relegation rival? Sure but I certainly understand it and can’t begrudge him personally for leaving. He’s undoubtably gone to be guaranteed one of the first names on the team sheet, raised his profile for England duty and protected/improved his income in what will probably be his last big signing and contract. There has to be some consideration towards him protecting his finances for his family as he’s a long time retired.

Probably most importantly it wasn’t his fault that we chose to sign a third goalkeeper if international standard to give probably the most competition for any position in the team.

When I think of Heaton in future, will I think of the team he left for? Not a chance. Will I think of performances like that at Man U or some of the wonder saves of the past 6 years? Most certainly.

Best of luck Tom. I hope your neck doesn’t hurt too much when you’re looking up the table at your previous employers...

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:23 pm

We've had some fantastic Goalkeepers in My Time following Burnley since the Sixties.Harry Thomson and Adam Blacklaw the top of The Lot for me....Toms Star Jump save from a Great striker that is Zlatan Ibramovich was to quote David Coleman "Truly Remarkable" Puts Him up there with the very Best. We've had some Good uns!
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10916 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:44 pm

complete an utter legend

The Quattro
Been Liked: 31 times
Has Liked: 21 times

Post by The Quattro » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:51 pm