Drinkwater - interview

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Drinkwater - interview

Post by Vegas Claret » Thu Aug 08, 2019 6:11 pm

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3115 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Re: Drinkwater - interview

Post by Chester Perry » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:20 pm

Here's another - this time in the Daily Telegraph

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/20 ... nley-loan/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
This user liked this post: Burnleyareback2

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1005 times
Has Liked: 725 times

Post by superdimitri » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:33 pm

He doesn't exactly look very enthused does he?

Hope he shows more motivation on the pitch.

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2488 times
Has Liked: 760 times

Post by ksrclaret » Thu Aug 08, 2019 11:38 pm

superdimitri wrote:He doesn't exactly look very enthused does he?

Footballers often have that sort of demeanor. The slightly vacant and rigid expression.

But I think you've got to remember they are footballers, and probably feel very uncomfortable in front of a camera on the first day at a new workplace. I know I wouldn't be able to give the best account of myself if I was suddenly thrust in front of a media team on my first day at work.
This user liked this post: Quicknick

martin_p
Been Liked: 3764 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:10 am

He probably hasn’t been interviewed for two years.

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5154 times
Has Liked: 795 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:16 am

I hate him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9fC01giHTQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Fri Aug 09, 2019 12:27 am

Bin Ont Turf wrote:I hate him.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9fC01giHTQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: good lad BOT

MT03ALG
Been Liked: 422 times
Has Liked: 4481 times

Post by MT03ALG » Fri Aug 09, 2019 1:03 am

Who will be his chauffeur ?

superdimitri

Post by superdimitri » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:46 am

ksrclaret wrote:Footballers often have that sort of demeanor. The slightly vacant and rigid expression.

But I think you've got to remember they are footballers, and probably feel very uncomfortable in front of a camera on the first day at a new workplace. I know I wouldn't be able to give the best account of myself if I was suddenly thrust in front of a media team on my first day at work.
Yes but Jay who is notoriously bad with the media make Danny look like he's being interviewed before a visit to the dentist.

I don't like to read so much into things as it's his performance that will count but reading things from the manager such as "I would imagine he is hungry and has a desire to be active and play but there is no guarantees with any signing you make. You can only hedge your bets the right way but after a couple of quiet years I imagine he is hungry and has a desire to prove himself, first of all to himself".

And

"I think it will be a challenge for him (at Burnley). I don't think he would come here thinking he walks in the team, we like the players that have done well for us over time".

"On the other hand I don't think he lacks belief to forge his way into the side over time."

"That is the hunger and desire that we want and that extra competitive edge to the situation we find ourselves in."

Imagine this, imagine that?

To me that sounds like he didn't even speak to Dyche about signing.

Really hope he hasn't got a case of big man big previous club syndrome.

Flying Without Ings
Been Liked: 169 times
Has Liked: 35 times

Post by Flying Without Ings » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:50 am

MT03ALG wrote:Who will be his chauffeur ?
Adam Kay.

williamjblazkowicz
Been Liked: 176 times
Has Liked: 8 times

Post by williamjblazkowicz » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:54 am

I thought the same. One of the most miserable player interviews I've seen. However, that may just be how he is. It may also be down to tiredness having had a long day of negotiations, the medical etc.
This user liked this post: superdimitri

claretonthecoast1882
Been Liked: 4161 times
Has Liked: 57 times

Post by claretonthecoast1882 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:55 am

Jesus

Buxtonclaret
Been Liked: 3748 times
Has Liked: 7520 times

Post by Buxtonclaret » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:14 am

Bin Ont Turf wrote:I hate him.

:lol: :lol:

John Johnson 1605
Been Liked: 237 times
Has Liked: 48 times

Post by John Johnson 1605 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:15 am

superdimitri wrote:Yes but Jay who is notoriously bad with the media make Danny look like he's being interviewed before a visit to the dentist.

I don't like to read so much into things as it's his performance that will count but reading things from the manager such as "I would imagine he is hungry and has a desire to be active and play but there is no guarantees with any signing you make. You can only hedge your bets the right way but after a couple of quiet years I imagine he is hungry and has a desire to prove himself, first of all to himself".

And

"I think it will be a challenge for him (at Burnley). I don't think he would come here thinking he walks in the team, we like the players that have done well for us over time".

"On the other hand I don't think he lacks belief to forge his way into the side over time."

"That is the hunger and desire that we want and that extra competitive edge to the situation we find ourselves in."

Imagine this, imagine that?

To me that sounds like he didn't even speak to Dyche about signing.

Really hope he hasn't got a case of big man big previous club syndrome.
Only at a Burnley do we sign a player of such calibre and appear unhappy.

Dyche was right when he said Burnley folk would complain that on finding a fiver it wasn’t a tenner.

I’m absolutely certain Dyche would not only met the player but sounded out others in the game and whether Drinkwater will be a good fit.

I’m absolutely delighted.
These 3 users liked this post: longsidepies DomBFC1882 Juan Tanamera

superdimitri

Post by superdimitri » Fri Aug 09, 2019 8:25 am

John Johnson 1605 wrote:Only at a Burnley do we sign a player of such calibre and appear unhappy.

Dyche was right when he said Burnley folk would complain that on finding a fiver it wasn’t a tenner.

I’m absolutely certain Dyche would not only met the player but sounded out others in the game and whether Drinkwater will be a good fit.

I’m absolutely delighted.
I was making general comments based on his interview and what I've read that's all. Doesn't mean I'm unhappy with his signing if I notice that does it? Just an observation.

From my experience posting here it's more the case that Burnley fans aren't allowed to observe, question or even discuss their own opinions without being criticised in one form or another. This is a message board and we are fans who enjoy this kind of discussion, no?

Anyway, as I already said, it's on the pitch that counts but in a team where we have seen many come and go through lack of motivation I wouldn't be surprised if he's one of them and I sincerely hope I'm wrong! I'm sorry if it sounds like I'm being negative but I can certainly tell you I'm one hell of a happy chappy that we have another set of legs to cover for Defour at very least!

I wish Danny the best of luck and hope he does well just like everyone, you never really know he may have very good reasons to feel down right now.

dandeclaret
Been Liked: 2563 times
Has Liked: 300 times

Post by dandeclaret » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:01 am

superdimitri wrote:
Anyway, as I already said, it's on the pitch that counts but in a team where we have seen many come and go through lack of motivation I wouldn't be surprised if he's one of them and I sincerely hope I'm wrong! .
Many?

Through lack of motivation?

Really?

In a Dyche team? Players have lacked motivation?

Mind. Blown.
This user liked this post: Transpennine

Eloise Laws
Been Liked: 321 times
Has Liked: 247 times

Post by Eloise Laws » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:10 am

In Dyche's interview he said something along the lines of "when they let me talk to him, I told him he wouldn't walk straight into the team"

Now fans know about 'Dyche fit' and I guess everyone knows he won't start Saturday....but as Defour is supposedly out for the foreseeable, and fans have been begging for someone in midfield what's your guess on when we will see him on the pitch??

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 490 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:14 am

Reckon we shall see him as a sub very soon. In August would be my guess....

JTClaret
Been Liked: 181 times
Has Liked: 119 times

Post by JTClaret » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:28 am

Imagine if you had to do an interview in front of the camera when you started a new job haha
I'd probably look like a rabbit in headlights too... especially if I didn't know I was starting the week before

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4044 times
Has Liked: 1846 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:37 am

Eloise Laws wrote:..... what's your guess on when we will see him on the pitch??
SD certainly hasn't brought him here to squash his arse on the bench. And of course, (reportedly) we're forking out
a king's ransom for his services.

He'll be playing sooner rather than later.

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 700 times

Post by mdd2 » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:46 am

Dyche knows him from the past and whilst he is not a big cat, leopards don't change their spots.

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2367 times
Has Liked: 3781 times

Post by JohnMac » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:52 am

He did the interview in the style of a depressed UTC poster so he could bond from the outset :twisted:

Welcome Danny!

superdimitri

Post by superdimitri » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:10 pm

dandeclaret wrote:Many?

Through lack of motivation?

Really?

In a Dyche team? Players have lacked motivation?

Mind. Blown.
Yeah, those that lack the right attitude are soon dealt with. Vydra has publicly shown he isn't happy and has been relegated to only get a 5 mins at the end of some games.

Before that we've seen it happen with Ulvestad, Flanagan, Treacey, Chris Long.

If he doesn't care, he won't last. But that is probably why hes on a 6 month-er.

Bfcboyo
Been Liked: 441 times
Has Liked: 355 times

Post by Bfcboyo » Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:17 pm

He is clearly not interested send him back . Should have signed Jones up!

dandeclaret
Been Liked: 2563 times
Has Liked: 300 times

Post by dandeclaret » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:06 pm

superdimitri wrote:Yeah, those that lack the right attitude are soon dealt with. Vydra has publicly shown he isn't happy and has been relegated to only get a 5 mins at the end of some games.

Before that we've seen it happen with Ulvestad, Flanagan, Treacey, Chris Long.

If he doesn't care, he won't last. But that is probably why hes on a 6 month-er.
Vydra, never been a premiership player, Ulvestad never good enough, Flanagan gone at the game, Treacey mental issues, Chris Long never ever good enough.

I’m struggling to see the demotivated link in all of them. And I’m quite happy we have a manager who doesn’t play players who aren’t good enough.

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1780 times
Has Liked: 1773 times

Post by dougcollins » Fri Aug 09, 2019 7:29 pm

Dyche has previous with loanees.

I hope this one gets to visit the pitch more frequently than many others have.

superdimitri

Post by superdimitri » Fri Aug 09, 2019 9:17 pm

dandeclaret wrote:Vydra, never been a premiership player, Ulvestad never good enough, Flanagan gone at the game, Treacey mental issues, Chris Long never ever good enough.

I’m struggling to see the demotivated link in all of them. And I’m quite happy we have a manager who doesn’t play players who aren’t good enough.
The link is motivation and attitude, yes it may be caused by other things but the common trend is those players lacked the determination and they are soon dealt with.

We'll see on the pitch how it turns out no doubt but you have to admit the comments made surrounding his signing and his interview itself don't exactly scream he's glad to be at Burnley.

superdimitri

Post by superdimitri » Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:40 am

Over a year on this makes an interesting read. Lots of people willing to shoot me down with my comments but you only had to read between the lines to see Drinkwater just wasn't interested in playing for us, and neither for Aston Villa either.

I think people should be a bit more open minded. There's far too much jumping/bullying towards those who offer a legitimate opinion or any critism aimed at the club.

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2588 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:09 am

Someone sitting on an “I told you so” for a full year is exactly the sort of content I come here for. 10/10.
These 2 users liked this post: Burnley1989 GodIsADeeJay81

Burnley1989
Been Liked: 2274 times
Has Liked: 2153 times

Post by Burnley1989 » Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:27 am

superdimitri wrote:
Fri Sep 11, 2020 3:40 am
Over a year on this makes an interesting read. Lots of people willing to shoot me down with my comments but you only had to read between the lines to see Drinkwater just wasn't interested in playing for us, and neither for Aston Villa either.

I think people should be a bit more open minded. There's far too much jumping/bullying towards those who offer a legitimate opinion or any critism aimed at the club.
Pathetic

superdimitri

Post by superdimitri » Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:51 am

What's pathetic is certain posters reactions to constructive criticism. I dug this thread up to prove a point, people are very quick to mock others (including recent posts now) but they should take the time to understand opinions are opinions and sometimes even if they don't agree, they may be wrong. As I'm certain I've also been on make occasions.

There's plenty of bullying still going on here despite bans and warnings on the topics. It's a constant theme from a bunch of posters who can't accept any criticism toward anything related to the club.

I think people should take the time to review what they post before pointing fingers and mocking others as it's simply poison to otherwise what's a great forum. Posting sarcastic or nasty comments had no place, and gets me, both others I'm sure (including Tony) down.