Going to games alone

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
damo_whitehead
Been Liked: 168 times
Has Liked: 110 times

Going to games alone

Post by damo_whitehead » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:46 am

Recently I got ridiculed for going to watch football on my own, not for the first tine and it got me thinking... I can't be the only one, in fact I know I'm not, and why is it a big deal to some?

I get on with everyone around my season ticket so for home games it's a little different (although I wouldn't see them away from turf moor) but for away games I travel alone, watch the game alone and I really enjoy it. It's my me time doing something I am passionate about, but as I said recently I come in for a lot of stick. Am I actually just the saddo loner?
These 10 users liked this post: turfytopper Wile E Coyote Rick_Muller SussexDon1inIreland kentonclaret PaintYorkClaretnBlue Stalbansclaret simonclaret Ashingtonclaret46 CnBtruntru

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2814 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Re: Going to games alone

Post by ClaretAndJew » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:48 am

I sat in JHL on my own from 2010-2017

claretblue
Been Liked: 1831 times
Has Liked: 961 times

Post by claretblue » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:51 am

ClaretAndJew wrote:I sat in JHL on my own from 2010-2017
I was there aswell C+J!

8-)
This user liked this post: Juan Tanamera

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2814 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:52 am

claretblue wrote:I was there aswell C+J!

8-)
Block 5

Lord Beamish
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:55 am

If you’re comfortable with your own company, then you may be alone, but you’ll never be lonely.
These 12 users liked this post: damo_whitehead spadesclaret lakedistrictclaret The Enclosure Tricky Trevor bfcjg lesxdp SussexDon1inIreland Vegas Claret jdrobbo JohnMac Ashingtonclaret46

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:55 am

If you're happy doing it who cares what anyone else thinks? As you say if you have a season ticket you get to know everyone around you anyway. Much better than sitting at home on your own wishing you were on the game.

damo_whitehead

Post by damo_whitehead » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:59 am

jrgbfc wrote:If you're happy doing it who cares what anyone else thinks? As you say if you have a season ticket you get to know everyone around you anyway. Much better than sitting at home on your own wishing you were on the game.
It's strange because I'm normally of that thinking, I've just had a few comments recently which made me think otherwise. It's just society trying to say I'm wrong I suppose, but when is society right?
This user liked this post: Barry_Chuckle

Barry_Chuckle
Been Liked: 586 times
Has Liked: 203 times

Post by Barry_Chuckle » Sat Aug 10, 2019 10:59 am

I go with others but sometimes wish I'd gone on my own :roll:
These 2 users liked this post: damo_whitehead bfcjg

mybloodisclaret
Been Liked: 686 times
Has Liked: 3950 times

Post by mybloodisclaret » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:01 am

You are never on your own as a Claret on match days at the Turf.
These 6 users liked this post: damo_whitehead Rick_Muller Transpennine oswyclaret Woodleyclaret Foshiznik

ClaretSteve
Been Liked: 50 times
Has Liked: 22 times

Post by ClaretSteve » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:02 am

There will be thousands around the games today. Don’t worry what other people think.

I took my Mrs to our first home game a few seasons ago. We scored and she was checking out the roof at the back of the stadium.
These 2 users liked this post: damo_whitehead tim_noone

mybloodisclaret
Been Liked: 686 times
Has Liked: 3950 times

Post by mybloodisclaret » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:03 am

ClaretSteve wrote:There will be thousands around the games today. Don’t worry what other people think.

I took my Mrs to our first home game a few seasons ago. We scored and she was checking out the roof at the back of the stadium.
Better than checking the bloke out sat on the other side of her!! :lol:
These 3 users liked this post: ClaretSteve tim_noone Goobs

Burtonwoodclaret
Been Liked: 82 times
Has Liked: 4 times

Post by Burtonwoodclaret » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:05 am

Thank you for this post. “Sado” probably says more about the person who is using the expression than you. Nobody really knows another person’s interior life. If you are comfortable with your own company whilst watching our beloved Clarets, then that’s absolutely fine. Like “Sado” , the word “Loner” is a word rarely used by a person about themselves. I enjoy “me time”, and need that in a life that’s full of other people. It’s all about achieving a balance that suits you. Enjoy today .
These 2 users liked this post: damo_whitehead mybloodisclaret

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3170 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:06 am

There use to be four of us STH sat in the JML but then one moved away and stopped going on.

He was one of the middle 2 seats, but we didn’t officially change our seats although we sat in it

For 2 seasons somebody else had it as a STH by himself but we just explained the situation and swapped seats

Foulthrow
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 1518 times

Post by Foulthrow » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:06 am

I've been on my own to a few games and actually quite enjoyed it. Although I do prefer to go with others I find that you take in more of the game if you are on your own.

bfccrazy
Been Liked: 2103 times
Has Liked: 416 times

Post by bfccrazy » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:07 am

It’s a strange one I think, if you’re happy to go alone then that’s all well and good.

I love everything that comes with going on the football though which includes massively getting to catch up with mates who as you get older you don’t see as often.

I’ve got a mates who have season tickets and travel in from Warrington and Leeds for games who I wouldn’t see anywhere near as regular if football wasn’t the common ground. Being able to chat to a mate about antics at some random away game 10 years ago etc.. is a feeling I like. I’m quite a gregarious character though and like having moments to share with the people close to me and football definitely provides that.

There have been many times where the 90 minutes on a match has ruined “a good day out” where I would have happily stayed sat in a pub and carried on having a laugh with my mates instead of going on the game. I think the older I have gotten the more so appreciate seeing good friends and being able to have a natter and enjoy something with them.
These 2 users liked this post: damo_whitehead oswyclaret

Dyched
Been Liked: 1921 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:07 am

damo_whitehead wrote:It's strange because I'm normally of that thinking, I've just had a few comments recently which made me think otherwise. It's just society trying to say I'm wrong I suppose, but when is society right?
It’s your life Damo. Do what you want with it. If you want to go on the Turf on your own do it. Don’t give a **** what other people think. In society these days you “have” to do everything with someone else. Which I find even more pathetic. Think. How many grown up men and women are missing out of doing things they want to do because there is nobody to hold their hand?

For most things, what difference does it make if somebody is there?
These 2 users liked this post: damo_whitehead Bosscat

damo_whitehead

Post by damo_whitehead » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:10 am

I appreciate everyone's words here, sometimes reassurance is important

Inchy
Been Liked: 1332 times
Has Liked: 95 times

Post by Inchy » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:29 am

I’ve done it a few times and it’s been fine. Usually I go to away games with my mates and sit with them at home games. On the odd occasion I have gone to away games on my tod there is a fair chance il bump into someone I know.

I don’t go to away games much these days but back when I did you would always see the same faces

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32237 times
Has Liked: 5253 times

Post by ClaretTony » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:34 am

I think this thread is all because I snubbed damo (not on purpose I admit) at Swansea a couple of seasons ago :D :D :D

Seriously, do what you want to do Damo and enjoy it.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

turfytopper
Been Liked: 408 times
Has Liked: 3421 times

Post by turfytopper » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:34 am

damo_whitehead wrote:Recently I got ridiculed for going to watch football on my own, not for the first tine and it got me thinking... I can't be the only one, in fact I know I'm not, and why is it a big deal to some?

I get on with everyone around my season ticket so for home games it's a little different (although I wouldn't see them away from turf moor) but for away games I travel alone, watch the game alone and I really enjoy it. It's my me time doing something I am passionate about, but as I said recently I come in for a lot of stick. Am I actually just the saddo loner?
Living in the south I often attend away games on my own...but I know enough people outside the ground to have some banter and I often meet interesting fellow clarets once inside the ground UTC
This user liked this post: Stalbansclaret

yorkyclaret
Been Liked: 246 times
Has Liked: 118 times

Post by yorkyclaret » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:37 am

The real sados are those trying to belittle those who are happy to do things their own way.
These 3 users liked this post: damo_whitehead BFC123 cricketfield73

Garnerssoap
Been Liked: 392 times
Has Liked: 514 times

Post by Garnerssoap » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:39 am

Been to many away games on my todd. Didn’t used to get many takers for Hartlepool away on a Tuesday night Leyland daf preliminary round

damo_whitehead

Post by damo_whitehead » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:46 am

ClaretTony wrote:I think this thread is all because I snubbed damo (not on purpose I admit) at Swansea a couple of seasons ago :D :D :D

Seriously, do what you want to do Damo and enjoy it.
I completely forgot that! What a bad day all round!

steve1264b
Been Liked: 160 times

Post by steve1264b » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:49 am

I had a spell for quite a few years where dad wasnt well enough to go on and daughter was to young.

Only thing i can thank owen coyle for was she got hooked that year.

Its better going with someone but i always found neighbours happy to chat.

diamondpocket
Been Liked: 254 times
Has Liked: 215 times

Post by diamondpocket » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:56 am

I go to away games alone but not watching Burnley as I can't get to games anymore living abroad. No reason not to; working with people 99% of the week, mostly idiots who are hard work, makes the weekend the only time to get away from it all and have a bit of me time; I love solitary away days with like minded people; still do it alone and be part of a group at the same time; I love to take my time to get there, have a look around, do it at my pace, and meet some new people and have a short chat about the game and footy in general.
Don't let the bastards grind you down Damo and do it how you want.
These 3 users liked this post: damo_whitehead Dyched tim_noone

damo_whitehead

Post by damo_whitehead » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:03 pm

diamondpocket wrote:I go to away games alone but not watching Burnley as I can't get to games anymore living abroad. No reason not to; working with people 99% of the week, mostly idiots who are hard work, makes the weekend the only time to get away from it all and have a bit of me time; I love solitary away days with like minded people; still do it alone and be part of a group at the same time; I love to take my time to get there, have a look around, do it at my pace, and meet some new people and have a short chat about the game and footy in general.
Don't let the bastards grind you down Damo and do it how you want.
You are absolutely spot on. Thank you

Hipper
Been Liked: 1175 times
Has Liked: 918 times

Post by Hipper » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:07 pm

I'm from the South. When I started going, initially London games I travelled, and stood or sat, alone. I didn't know anyone who followed Burnley. However on my second visit to Turf Moor, one Dave Beeston (now Burnley) introduced himself after the game at Burnley Central Station ('how you doin' hound? was his opening line!'). This was 1970 and we were only 16 or so. Of course as I kept travelling I eventually noticed a few others getting on at Euston and so we would travel together sometimes, but many a time I went alone, especially it seems, away games.

In the mid 70s with the large train fare increases came the formation of the London Clarets and we had to travel together but as I didn't drink, I often went off for a walk whilst the others went to the pub. I also tended to stand on the Bee Hole end, unless it was raining, whereas the others went on the Longside. This wasn't so much being unsociable as that I preferred the view.
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

Buxtonclaret
Been Liked: 3747 times
Has Liked: 7520 times

Post by Buxtonclaret » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:09 pm

Been all over the country on my own watching us.
Never gave it a second thought.
A few mates used to take peess in the mid 80s. They just got 2 fingers from me.
This user liked this post: Ashingtonclaret46

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:14 pm

Done it plenty. Especially away when working. And at games not involving Burnley.

Your own company beats that of half of them around you.

Dyched
Been Liked: 1921 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:20 pm

Too add. Went to many gigs abroad over the past few years, travelled alone too. The best things I’ve ever done to be quite honest. Met many of people ranging from a couple in their 70s who travelled hours to be there. To a group of dads/lads who I ended up drinking with. Met a girl who I’m still in touch with and possibly meeting her for a gig later this year. Generally met people from all walks of life from Ranchers from New Mexico, to San Lorenzo season ticket holders, to people from Bremen, a lad who travelled by himself from Brussels to Berlin to a gig, an 70 odd year old Japanese man travelling America by train.

Sometimes it’s great to step outside the bubble what are friendship groups and just live life differently. I honestly love doing it. Football is a bit different but you may meet interesting people and that’s what it’s all about.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:20 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Done it plenty. Especially away when working. And at games not involving Burnley.

Your own company beats that of half of them around you.
Three quarters... :?
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

andyh
Been Liked: 483 times
Has Liked: 102 times

Post by andyh » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:22 pm

We’ve 2 season tickets but my wife can rarely make it. I used to hate going on my own but now like you said it is “me time”. Also when the match is on I never take my eyes off it so I may as well be on my own.

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:22 pm

Do what you want to do not what others think you should do. I’d go on my own and have done occasionally in the past.it is more sad if you wouldn’t . Someone’s companion might have died or be ill. Are they then supposed to not go. I wonder how may people would put on Facebook I went to the football today on my own and really enjoyed it ? People are too bothered what others think. Who gives one.
These 2 users liked this post: tim_noone cricketfieldclarets

The Enclosure
Been Liked: 990 times
Has Liked: 3266 times

Post by The Enclosure » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:25 pm

Been going on my own to the Turf for the past 50 plus years...so ignore what others think.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2887 times
Has Liked: 1760 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:30 pm

I am at a loss as to why anybody would be critical about someone going to a match on their own.
I think its preferable to be in company just because of the banter, but I used to go on with mates, then latterly with my lad.
He can't make it on Saturdays anymore so I have no choice but to go on my own. Definately not as much fun, but if I want to see the clarets then so be it.

cblantfanclub
Been Liked: 117 times
Has Liked: 305 times

Post by cblantfanclub » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:34 pm

Going mainly on my own for a long time now. Sit next to a guy who also goes on his own .Knows his football and looking forward to seeing him again this afternoon. Lucky to sit next to some sensible fans though we have our resident idiot just behind.Also got a real community feel even though I don't know anybodies names and only see them on match das.

Claretmatt4
Been Liked: 1049 times
Has Liked: 723 times

Post by Claretmatt4 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:43 pm

Go on home games with my dad and brother but sometimes do away games solo. Id rather go on my own than not at all!

claretdons
Been Liked: 34 times
Has Liked: 19 times

Post by claretdons » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:51 pm

Generally when I get back home and get to go on the turf, I go alone. I’m there to watch the footy. Most of my close mates that still live around aren’t football fans, I can catch up with them at other times. It’s all about the match and the atmosphere, not having a good chinwag for me.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Sat Aug 10, 2019 12:52 pm

I read a saying/thought once:
If you want to go somewhere you like but no one else wants to, go by yourself. You'll meet people with similar interests as you.

The same applies here. Go to the game on your own and people you'll meet will also be there to watch Burnley.

taio
Been Liked: 3220 times
Has Liked: 340 times

Post by taio » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:07 pm

Doesn't apply to me because I go on with family. The only thing I find odd/strange/sad is the people ridiculing you for it. There's nothing wrong whatsoever with going on your own and doing something you enjoy. I'm surprised they find it anything but normal.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5002 times
Has Liked: 6715 times

Post by bfcjg » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:17 pm

I sometimes go to away games by myself if I can't commit to a ticket early on or have to work; you can strike up a conversation with folk around you or keep quiet your choice.

fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2194 times
Has Liked: 2175 times

Post by fidelcastro » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:20 pm

Nothing wrong with going on your own at all. I do it often and sod what anyone else thinks.

The only time I've ever been conscious of being alone was when I went to a music gig by myself, but I still enjoyed it and wouldn't have missed it for the world!

:D

Texanclaret16
Been Liked: 34 times
Has Liked: 31 times

Post by Texanclaret16 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:31 pm

Damo - you are certainly not alone reading the comments looks like more would rather go alone sometimes so your the lucky one. I went alone for 3 seasons travelling over on the plane to games everyone I knew said I was mad going alone I just told them, I’m not alone they will be 20000 other clarets there give or take a few thousand. I Used To love watching the game alone then going the pub after and chatting to like minded clarets about the game. Best bit is I get to choose which pub I go to and when I leave and don’t have to worry about anyone that’s with me.

On a none football point I go and play golf alone sometimes and often get asked why and told I’m nuts but same as you it’s my me time when I choose to go alone. Just hope I don’t get a hole in one when out on my own ha ha.

Enjoy the game today. Next time you go to the game and your asked who did you go on the game with tell them 20000 clarets (hopefully a full house)

UTC

SalisburyClaret
Been Liked: 1104 times
Has Liked: 709 times

Post by SalisburyClaret » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:35 pm

I often go on my own - the important thing is being there

LS7
Been Liked: 125 times
Has Liked: 76 times

Post by LS7 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 1:55 pm

Good thread. I’ve been to lots of games on my own.

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6463 times
Has Liked: 2896 times

Post by Steve1956 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:06 pm

;) I go to every game on my own,not out of choice,I haven't got any mates.

buzzclarets79
Been Liked: 227 times
Has Liked: 208 times

Post by buzzclarets79 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:08 pm

Spent most of last season going on my own as my mate got a new job away from the area and couldn’t get on. Didn’t bother me one bit, quite happy going on my own as its something I enjoy.
This season I’m in the same seat (CFS) and looking forward to the new season, found that you do get to know others around you.
Life is too short to worry about what others may think, so sod them, get onto the turf.

Tribesmen
Been Liked: 1176 times
Has Liked: 635 times

Post by Tribesmen » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:12 pm

I tell you i have been going to Galway United home games for over 20 years by myself . Now in that time the wife has gone just once ................ Yer some call me lucky others call me a lair .
The only problem is people want to sit next to me and chat for some reason .
This user liked this post: cblantfanclub

jedi_master
Been Liked: 3580 times
Has Liked: 1023 times

Post by jedi_master » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:16 pm

Done quite a few aways on my own, never bothers me. Season ticket at home with my Dad, but he’s sometimes not as up for the longer aways so I drive in on my own.

End of the day, yeah you’re on your own, but the second your inside and everyone’s singing, you’re basically there with 2000 mates.

Venkys4eva
Been Liked: 139 times
Has Liked: 183 times

Post by Venkys4eva » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:20 pm

damo_whitehead wrote:Recently I got ridiculed for going to watch football on my own, not for the first tine and it got me thinking... I can't be the only one, in fact I know I'm not, and why is it a big deal to some?

No the people who comment are the saddo's. I always find people who can't enjoy their own company and constantly need to be around other people a bit dense.
These 2 users liked this post: tim_noone Stalbansclaret