Going to games alone

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10917 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Re: Going to games alone

Post by Vegas Claret » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:26 pm

on the occasions my mates couldn't go to games I would go on my own, never bothered me at all. Did it for plenty of away games too, never stopped me coming home with no voice from singing etc, watching footy is a communal thing regardless of who you go with. I've hugged many a stranger after we've scored, footy is weird ! lol

Herts Clarets
Been Liked: 1754 times
Has Liked: 469 times

Post by Herts Clarets » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:27 pm

I have done it loads of times because of where I live. Nearly always see someone I know at the match but admit with social media it is much easier to find out who is going and arrange to meet somewhere.

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 1986 times
Has Liked: 2875 times

Post by elwaclaret » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:32 pm

damo_whitehead wrote:Recently I got ridiculed for going to watch football on my own, not for the first tine and it got me thinking... I can't be the only one, in fact I know I'm not, and why is it a big deal to some?

I get on with everyone around my season ticket so for home games it's a little different (although I wouldn't see them away from turf moor) but for away games I travel alone, watch the game alone and I really enjoy it. It's my me time doing something I am passionate about, but as I said recently I come in for a lot of stick. Am I actually just the saddo loner?
Not at all. I often have to go alone... comes from moving around so much and my dad no longer being fit enough to manage... I usually take my stepson along, but being as the Turf is a serious punishment.... he quite often doesn’t join me by weekend.

Noblelight
Been Liked: 50 times
Has Liked: 26 times

Post by Noblelight » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:33 pm

I often go on my own as my daughter is at university. 340 mile round trip. Not today though as I am in Majorca. Great being on holiday but wish I was at the game.
UTC

hetheclaret
Been Liked: 49 times
Has Liked: 4 times

Post by hetheclaret » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:45 pm

I grew up near Oxford, and aside from a few family members who live around Burnley, have never known any other Clarets. Since moving to London I've met a Burnley fan and we've been to a few games, but I've also been to a few London/southern games solo (Southampton, palace a few times, watford a few times, Villa, Reading a few times).

Once at the game it's fine, it's the travelling that's boring...once you're at the game, you're with 1/2/3,000 mates. Having said that, many people, including my semi-Burnley following mother, think I'm odd.

claret wizard
Been Liked: 261 times
Has Liked: 89 times

Post by claret wizard » Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:49 pm

Go to many away games alone. I work away by myself a lot so never gave it a second thought that I would do it for football. You’re never alone as a Claret though. I went to Istanbul and met up with loads of people I’ve met over the years at games. Don’t even know everyones name but will have a chat.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8654 times

Post by IanMcL » Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:00 pm

Travelled alone for 50 years! Mostly away.
Mrs McL would come to Burnley for weekends.
Now my new partner does the same, having also been a season ticket holder for 2 of the last 3 seasons. Now no longer. Just selected matches, so on my own again. Arsenal next week!

I prefer doing my own thing, when it comes to football.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

TommyPicks
Been Liked: 66 times
Has Liked: 32 times

Post by TommyPicks » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:07 pm

A really important thread for me. I’ve been going on and off on my own for the past ten years. Started doing this when I was about 17 in the 08/09 era after my grandad past away, who originally got me into BFC.

Initially as a teenager I was nervous about going on my own but I’ve got used to it now. I’ve got plenty of other mates but sadly they are either Blackburn or PNE fans. I’ve been sat in the JHU block 5 for the past 4 seasons and love it up there. Sit next to a bloke called Kev who I’ve got to know and we just chat about all things football

I’d be interested to know what sort of criticism you’ve had damo, if you don’t mind me asking? I really wouldn’t let it put you off. I’m 27 now so I’ve been doing this for ten years and it really is time for “yourself” and getting to know like minded people.

I have done a few away days on my own but I find this a bit more nervy/boring not going on with your pals. For some reason I feel a bit more self conscious at away days alone so don’t do as many of them as I’d like to.

Keep at it mate it’s your hobby, doesn’t matter about anyone else if you enjoy it

damo_whitehead
Been Liked: 168 times
Has Liked: 110 times

Post by damo_whitehead » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:16 pm

TommyPicks wrote:A really important thread for me. I’ve been going on and off on my own for the past ten years. Started doing this when I was about 17 in the 08/09 era after my grandad past away, who originally got me into BFC.

Initially as a teenager I was nervous about going on my own but I’ve got used to it now. I’ve got plenty of other mates but sadly they are either Blackburn or PNE fans. I’ve been sat in the JHU block 5 for the past 4 seasons and love it up there. Sit next to a bloke called Kev who I’ve got to know and we just chat about all things football

I’d be interested to know what sort of criticism you’ve had damo, if you don’t mind me asking? I really wouldn’t let it put you off. I’m 27 now so I’ve been doing this for ten years and it really is time for “yourself” and getting to know like minded people.

I have done a few away days on my own but I find this a bit more nervy/boring not going on with your pals. For some reason I feel a bit more self conscious at away days alone so don’t do as many of them as I’d like to.

Keep at it mate it’s your hobby, doesn’t matter about anyone else if you enjoy it
Just lots of little comments really, mainly around the subject that it is something mates do together (or family), so therefore judged for being alone, also people comment that they could never go alone, blah blah blah, which then makes you self conscious about the fact.

I agree regarding the away games, I definitely feel a bit more anxious or nervous, but I still do it, to be fair nothing anyone can say will stop me doing what I enjoy

damo_whitehead

Post by damo_whitehead » Sat Aug 10, 2019 8:18 pm

Just another point, I have just spent time reading through all the comments in this thread, and it really is great to read, we are one big claret family. As I said above, nothing will ever stop me doing what I love, but sometimes you even question yourself. Thank you all, and what a great win today! I'll be there in a week at the Emirates, enjoying the football not on my own, but with 1500(ish) members of the BFC family
These 3 users liked this post: SalisburyClaret tim_noone IanMcL

TommyPicks
Been Liked: 66 times
Has Liked: 32 times

Post by TommyPicks » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:21 pm

damo_whitehead wrote:Just lots of little comments really, mainly around the subject that it is something mates do together (or family), so therefore judged for being alone, also people comment that they could never go alone, blah blah blah, which then makes you self conscious about the fact.

I agree regarding the away games, I definitely feel a bit more anxious or nervous, but I still do it, to be fair nothing anyone can say will stop me doing what I enjoy
I’ve had similar to be honest. Not really criticism but more people saying they couldn’t imagine going on their own, which I guess is understandable if they have always gone on in a group.

If you ever fancy meeting up for a pre match beer etc let me know. UTC

Mildred
Been Liked: 12 times
Has Liked: 8 times

Post by Mildred » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:23 pm

I started going in my own about 4 years ago, changed stand to get away from the ex..
Certainly got some funny looks being a woman on my own, the people I ended up sitting near are quite frankly horrible and sometimes me cringe at their behaviour..
Some games I dreaded going on especially the high capacity ones, only because more people than seats kinda thing.
I’m used to it now, my son has got a season ticket this year so I’ve now got company. Would love to do the away matches but problem now is son doesn’t have the points, so it’ll be a few years before I go away games again. Somehow don’t fancy it on my own.

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6463 times
Has Liked: 2896 times

Post by Steve1956 » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:25 pm

Mildred wrote:I started going in my own about 4 years ago, changed stand to get away from the ex..
Certainly got some funny looks being a woman on my own, the people I ended up sitting near are quite frankly horrible and sometimes me cringe at their behaviour..
Some games I dreaded going on especially the high capacity ones, only because more people than seats kinda thing.
I’m used to it now, my son has got a season ticket this year so I’ve now got company. Would love to do the away matches but problem now is son doesn’t have the points, so it’ll be a few years before I go away games again. Somehow don’t fancy it on my own.
Where does George sit now? :D
These 3 users liked this post: tim_noone Garnerssoap IanMcL

LoveCurryPies
Been Liked: 1599 times
Has Liked: 679 times

Post by LoveCurryPies » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:29 pm

I started going to the cinema alone as a teenager. It was simply convenient....go when you want and to see what you want. Frequently go to the theatre by myself and sometimes football.

I found you can concentrate more....no worrying that your companion is enjoying and understanding the film / show. If you get bored, leave.

I also go away for weekends alone. Get up when you want, breaKfast where you want, go where you want etc. No need to find places that suit everyone. Lovely!
These 2 users liked this post: Pimlico_Claret atlantalad

Nonayforever
Been Liked: 690 times
Has Liked: 172 times

Post by Nonayforever » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:34 pm

I was chatting to a lady a while ago & mentioned that I was going to an away match, she asked me if I was going on my own, I said no I'm going with 900 others.

Somethingfishy
Been Liked: 719 times
Has Liked: 510 times

Post by Somethingfishy » Sat Aug 10, 2019 9:34 pm

I go to the game alone since my mate moved away. However i am good friends with those that sit around me so i don't feel alone on the game. Going to away games on my own I'm not so sure about. My daughter has accompanied me a few times and she loves it but getting a ticket for her is difficult with her having no points. I have over 8000 and can probably get one for most away games but never taken the plunge alone. When i was younger i travelled via coach everywhere but i have got into the bug of driving to games. Just so much more freedom to explore and do your own thing.

scouseclaret
Been Liked: 857 times
Has Liked: 264 times

Post by scouseclaret » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:39 pm

I’m curious as to who it is giving you a hard time about it and why. I imagine it’s quite common, especially for people like myself who are from the “Burnleysphere” but live elsewhere. I haven’t lived locally since the late-1970s and don’t really have any Burnley supporting mates, so when I moved to Liverpool in the early 1990s and started going no to games regularly again, I did so on my own, home and away. I did manage to rekindle my dad’s interest for good number of years but when he died in 2006, I had a season ticket for 10 years on my own. Now I’m pleased to say my youngest son has eschewed local temptations (unlike his elder brother!) and comes with me to the match.

My point, though, is that while I’ve often questioned my sanity in doing what I do over the years, the fact that I’ve done it alone never really bothered me. Sure, I’d rather have someone to go with, if only to have someone to discuss the match with over a pint afterwards, but it’s not a show-stopper. Moreover, I don’t ever recall anyone questioning me for going to the match on my own, let alone calling me for it. If anything, I think I get more kudos from my mates for the level of commitment!

dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Sat Aug 10, 2019 11:46 pm

I don't know if they think they're being humerous and don't realise that you haven't seen the joke, or else they actually mean it. Either way, it makes no difference - they're talking bilge. There is a certain type of person who thinks that if your lifestyle is different from theirs, then there's something wrong with yours - it's nonsense.

And if it helps, I went on a 2 week trip to the USA on my own, and saw 13 baseball games on my own, and had a great time. I'm sadder than you!!! :twisted:

jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4800 times
Has Liked: 943 times

Post by jdrobbo » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:33 am

Used to enjoy our past ventures Damo :-)
This user liked this post: damo_whitehead

JohnMcGreal
Been Liked: 1344 times
Has Liked: 438 times

Post by JohnMcGreal » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:15 am

ClaretAndJew wrote:I sat in JHL on my own from 2010-2017
Bloody hell, that's a long time.
This user liked this post: Stalbansclaret

dsr

Post by dsr » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:19 am

JohnMcGreal wrote:Bloody hell, that's a long time.
Agreed. I could have understood if it had been 1985-92.

KlyBfc
Been Liked: 211 times
Has Liked: 126 times

Post by KlyBfc » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:45 am

I prefer going with family and friends (though none of my closest mates / those I grew up with support Burnley). However I have been to loads of games on my own and wouldn’t think twice about going on my own again. Though my one exception to this was Olympiacos where I bottled going on my own due to the two day travel out and day and half back id have had to do on my own.. and I regret that decision to this day every time I hear the word Europa League. So in my opinion keep doing what you do and want to do, b****r what anyone else thinks.

scouseclaret
Been Liked: 857 times
Has Liked: 264 times

Post by scouseclaret » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:02 am

KlyBfc wrote:I prefer going with family and friends (though none of my closest mates / those I grew up with support Burnley). However I have been to loads of games on my own and wouldn’t think twice about going on my own again. Though my one exception to this was Olympiacos where I bottled going on my own due to the two day travel out and day and half back id have had to do on my own.. and I regret that decision to this day every time I hear the word Europa League. So in my opinion keep doing what you do and want to do, b****r what anyone else thinks.
I did Basaksehir on my own, although I was already in Turkey so it was considerably easier and cheaper than most would have found it! Would definitely have rather had someone to experience that with though.

wickdkewlclaret
Been Liked: 141 times
Has Liked: 81 times

Post by wickdkewlclaret » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:18 am

I choose to go alone. I meet with my family before the game, but I choose to sit in the Cricket Field on my own. As much prefer the atmosphere and feel to it.

Regularly go to away games on my own and really enjoy it, there’s usually a few regular faces who I have crack with.

Nowt wrong with it I say, bloody love supporting our team!

CaptJohn
Been Liked: 460 times
Has Liked: 329 times

Post by CaptJohn » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:40 am

Back in the 70s I used to go to loads of games on my own. Living in Chester there were no other Clarets around that I knew of so I used to travel alone all over the place watching the lads. For London games I used to catch a train from Runcorn to Euston at 0730 in the morning as there was a special deal that If you travelled before 7 AM and came back after 6 PM it was only 7.50 pounds return :) I've spent loads of hours wandering around Oxford St and know most of the museums well. I very often stood in the home end to get a feel for the place. (North Bank Highbury, Shed Stamford Bridge) Happy days but nowadays I usually go with my wife as we both have STs in the JHU Block 3 but we still enjoy our away days to the Smoke.

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3327 times
Has Liked: 1942 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Sun Aug 11, 2019 9:46 am

I was on with my two kids yesterday.

I envy you Damo_whitehead. I really do.
These 3 users liked this post: Lord Beamish damo_whitehead Stalbansclaret

padihamclaret
Been Liked: 41 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by padihamclaret » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:26 am

I went on games on my own for about 5 seasons. There was 3 of us sat together but they eventually had to give their tickets up. I felt a bit awkward at first on my own but the people around me were sound and I got on with them. Moved into the cricket field stand last season with a group of us and it is better. Wouldn't go on an away game on my own though

Lord Beamish
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:31 am

I used to, on cold and wet winter week-day afternoons back in the day, take myself to the Cinema on Manchester Rd, and watch a film at early-bird prices. More than once I was the only patron in the auditorium. It was a liberating experience.

Pstotto
Been Liked: 1024 times
Has Liked: 763 times

Post by Pstotto » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:35 am

Is 'saddo loner' your personal judgment of people on their own? James Bond for instance...

box_of_frogs
Been Liked: 1087 times
Has Liked: 996 times

Post by box_of_frogs » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:44 am

Living darn sarf, i'm almost always at the away matches on my own. I quite enjoy the freedom of doing whatever i want before / after, and I quite enjoy looking for people i know in the crowd.

jdrobbo
Been Liked: 4800 times
Has Liked: 943 times

Post by jdrobbo » Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:54 am

Damo,

Top man for starting this thread.

As you know, I used to be exactly the same: I’d enjoy going to games on my own, talking to strangers about the game (talking to random strangers is something I’ve never been all that good at) and celebrating goals with people as though they were family.

That period we spent season-ticketing together was great, all on the back of a random message put out on CM which saw us drinking Stella outside the toilet on a train to Derby...random but fun. The highlight being your mother checking in with you on Derby station to check that I was who I said I was and not a monster-raving predator :-)

Football matches do offer a lot of opportunity for ‘me time’ and I totally get where you come from. I too like some occasional me time and although I love days out with others, I sometimes choose to go alone and meet them there or at a pub.

Football is different for everyone. You do whatever you want. Hopefully bump into you soon mate.

J
This user liked this post: damo_whitehead

Stalbansclaret
Been Liked: 1658 times
Has Liked: 2963 times

Post by Stalbansclaret » Sun Aug 11, 2019 11:35 am

I go to many away games in the South on my own and enjoy it. Virtually always bump into one or two I've got to know and, anyway, we are all Clarets together.

damo_whitehead

Post by damo_whitehead » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:05 pm

jdrobbo wrote:Damo,

Top man for starting this thread.

As you know, I used to be exactly the same: I’d enjoy going to games on my own, talking to strangers about the game (talking to random strangers is something I’ve never been all that good at) and celebrating goals with people as though they were family.

That period we spent season-ticketing together was great, all on the back of a random message put out on CM which saw us drinking Stella outside the toilet on a train to Derby...random but fun. The highlight being your mother checking in with you on Derby station to check that I was who I said I was and not a monster-raving predator :-)

Football matches do offer a lot of opportunity for ‘me time’ and I totally get where you come from. I too like some occasional me time and although I love days out with others, I sometimes choose to go alone and meet them there or at a pub.

Football is different for everyone. You do whatever you want. Hopefully bump into you soon mate.

J
Appreciate that John, thank you

diamondpocket
Been Liked: 254 times
Has Liked: 215 times

Post by diamondpocket » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:54 am

One thing I don't tend to do is wear colours when travelling alone especially using public transport.
And a downside to travelling alone especially by car is the cost of away games, much easier with a car full of 4/5 people contributing petrol money on a trip to London and back than doing it alone

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:27 am

diamondpocket wrote:One thing I don't tend to do is wear colours when travelling alone especially using public transport.
And a downside to travelling alone especially by car is the cost of away games, much easier with a car full of 4/5 people contributing petrol money on a trip to London and back than doing it alone
It's only Money...I'm the Lone Driver this weekend and Looking forward to the drive and meeting up with folk down there. And Ashley getting the Better of David Luis.. :D

2 Bee Holed
Been Liked: 548 times
Has Liked: 31 times

Post by 2 Bee Holed » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:33 am

Damo.
I've done it many times.
In fact during the late 1980's you'd do well to find someone within 30ft of you.
Don't think about it, enjoy.
One word of warning though, when you find yourself talking to yourself or even arguing
with yourself, then perhaps it's time to see a Doctor. :lol:

Stalbansclaret
Been Liked: 1658 times
Has Liked: 2963 times

Post by Stalbansclaret » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:50 am

2 Bee Holed wrote: In fact during the late 1980's you'd do well to find someone within 30ft of you.
I have a hazy memory of going on my own to Plough Lane to watch us v Wimbledon in the '80s with Peter Mumby playing up front for us......I think it was an FA cup tie. Stood on the big open terrace behind one goal which was their away end in those days and there must have been no more than about 20 other people on it. A pretty depressing experience...I remember the bloke "next" to me completely blanking me when I attempted conversation too .....and one which has often reminded me how lucky I am to support the club over the last brilliant decade.

JTClaret
Been Liked: 181 times
Has Liked: 119 times

Post by JTClaret » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:56 am

I never realised this was an issue. I sit with family but years ago when I was a walk-on I always went on my own - and never thought anything of it

Longside4evr
Been Liked: 519 times
Has Liked: 266 times

Post by Longside4evr » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:49 am

When travelling from Spain to a match you have to its a long one to do but i dont need anyone holding my hand and its all worth it to see the Clarets
I meet up before the game with lots of mates but its not like when you could stand in your place with your mates on the terracing and you would no exactly where they'd be
Now its a case of if you can get a seat in the same block.
Going to away games is a little harder as you might not see anyone you know
I am doing Arsenal and will be in London on the Friday it doesn't bother me in the slightest what matters is seeing our famous football team turn the Gunners over then it will be worth every penny UTC

GodIsADeeJay81
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:36 am

Nothing wrong with going to a game, or something else, alone.
I've done a number of games by myself and I regularly go to the cinema alone too, watching the new Tarantino film tomorrow night by myself.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2590 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Tue Aug 13, 2019 10:50 am

Only done it twice, once at home when we lost to Blackburn 0-2, although the atmosphere was such I didn't notice being on my own.

The other was away at Sheffield United when we won 3-2 in Coyle's promotion season and ended up hugging strangers anyway. To be fair, neither of these games probably gives a fair reflection of the solitary experience. I'd be happy to try it again if the situation arose, even though the social side is a big part of why we go to the Turf especially.

As above, going to the cinema on your own during the day is absolutely the best way.

dsr

Post by dsr » Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:51 pm

2 Bee Holed wrote:... One word of warning though, when you find yourself arguing
with yourself, then perhaps it's time to see a Doctor. :lol:
Especially if you start losing those arguments.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8654 times

Post by IanMcL » Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:25 pm

LoveCurryPies wrote:I started going to the cinema alone as a teenager. It was simply convenient....go when you want and to see what you want. Frequently go to the theatre by myself and sometimes football.

I found you can concentrate more....no worrying that your companion is enjoying and understanding the film / show. If you get bored, leave.

I also go away for weekends alone. Get up when you want, breaKfast where you want, go where you want etc. No need to find places that suit everyone. Lovely!
It'll be the curry pies keeping you solo! :D
This user liked this post: LoveCurryPies

2 Bee Holed

Post by 2 Bee Holed » Tue Aug 13, 2019 2:21 pm

Stalbansclaret wrote:I have a hazy memory of going on my own to Plough Lane to watch us v Wimbledon in the '80s with Peter Mumby playing up front for us......I think it was an FA cup tie. Stood on the big open terrace behind one goal which was their away end in those days and there must have been no more than about 20 other people on it. A pretty depressing experience...I remember the bloke "next" to me completely blanking me when I attempted conversation too .....and one which has often reminded me how lucky I am to support the club over the last brilliant decade.
OMG....was that you Stalbans? I am sorry about that. I was having a bad day and just wanted to be on my own and not discuss mundanities with a stranger. Sorry to have offended.
This user liked this post: Stalbansclaret

Marty Dobson
Been Liked: 92 times
Has Liked: 261 times

Post by Marty Dobson » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:39 pm

I go on my own every game. Never felt alone among fellow Clarets. Got lucky last Saturday as I got to hug a beautiful soaking wet 20 year old female stood next to me in the JHL 3 times in 2nd half.

2 Bee Holed

Post by 2 Bee Holed » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:51 pm

Marty Dobson wrote:I go on my own every game. Never felt alone among fellow Clarets. Got lucky last Saturday as I got to hug a beautiful soaking wet 20 year old female stood next to me in the JHL 3 times in 2nd half.

Don't tell me....she was only wearing a tight T-shirt. :roll:
These 2 users liked this post: Marty Dobson Rick_Muller

pushpinpussy
Been Liked: 891 times
Has Liked: 134 times

Post by pushpinpussy » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:17 pm

I can guarantee that a lot of people who use this message board constantly will probably also go to the games on their own as well. Doesn't take Einstein to work out why.

tybfc
Been Liked: 1304 times
Has Liked: 318 times

Post by tybfc » Tue Aug 13, 2019 7:35 pm

I spent many a year in the mid nineties swapping my season ticket over so that I could watch games on my own.

After that a group of us settled in the JHU together.

More lately our group split up a little.

Some have stayed in the JHU, some in the JMU with families and I moved to the BL with the rest where I have remained ever since.

I have been unable to drive for health reasons for eight years and when I am in the country rarely miss an away game so I rely on Leisure and Accy Clarets or travel by train either on my own or with my mate from Manchester. Any of those three are brilliant for me.

But apart from football I have a love of cricket and horse racing and in the past 40 years have spent days and evenings away, many of them whilst I was working away and some good planning, watching both sports totally on my own. Nobody to answer to, come and go as I pleased and if I wanted to leave before the end nobody would come on a messageboard and moan at me.

In the past few months I have been to Sedbergh school in Cumbria, Lords and Aigburth watching Lancs play cricket on my own and thoroughly enjoyed it.

And to top it all I am planning to nip over to New Zealand at the end of October on my own to watch England play five t20 games down under and visit my son who will hopefully be at university in Wellington for a year by then.

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6463 times
Has Liked: 2896 times

Post by Steve1956 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:14 pm

GodIsADeeJay81 wrote:Nothing wrong with going to a game, or something else, alone.
I've done a number of games by myself and I regularly go to the cinema alone too, watching the new Tarantino film tomorrow night by myself.
Can you do me a review...love Tarantino films. ;)
This user liked this post: GodIsADeeJay81

GodIsADeeJay81
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Aug 13, 2019 9:35 pm

Steve1956 wrote:Can you do me a review...love Tarantino films. ;)
Will do, I'll dig out the old film thread that was going earlier this year.
This user liked this post: Steve1956