Bolton

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
NL Claret
Been Liked: 515 times
Has Liked: 209 times

Re: Bolton

Post by NL Claret » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:01 pm

At 5pm on Friday August 23, the completion of the sale of the football club and the hotel had been agreed by all parties and undertakings had been issued by all solicitors except those of Ken Anderson.

Devastatingly, on Saturday morning that deal collapsed. At this stage, there seems little point in apportioning blame because that makes no difference to the staff, players, management, supporters and the community who have once more seen their club taken back to the brink.

My team have spent the last 48 hours working around the clock, striving to get a deal back on track and trying to convince the parties still in conflict that the very fate of Bolton Wanderers depends on them finding a compromise.

The EFL have made their position clear by insisting on a 5pm deadline on Tuesday for a deal to be completed or give compelling reasons for an extension. They have also written to everybody concerned in the process to underline that sense of urgency.

On Sunday evening, there was some tentative dialogue but we are still some way from reaching a solution. Therefore, I am appealing to those parties whose position seems intractable to do everything to reach a compromise.

In just over 24 hours, the club will have its membership of the EFL revoked. Over and above that, the club is currently not in a position to carry on trading and, as such, the process of closing down the company will commence on Wednesday.

This will ultimately lead to its liquidation, the expulsion of the club from the EFL and the inevitable loss of over 150 jobs. More than that, it will devastate a community for whom the football club is a beacon of hope and expectation.

I reiterate, unless there is a change of position from any of the parties involved, the process of closing down the club and ultimately placing Bolton Wanderers into liquidation will begin this week.

FCBurnley
Been Liked: 1967 times
Has Liked: 1132 times

Post by FCBurnley » Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:26 pm

The main culprit for the demise of Bolton is is the deceased Phil Gartside. What a vile piece of work he was. Conned Eddie Davis and conned the club and it’s supporters. I hope there is a hell He deserves it.

NL Claret
Been Liked: 515 times
Has Liked: 209 times

Post by NL Claret » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:37 pm

FCBurnley wrote:The main culprit for the demise of Bolton is is the deceased Phil Gartside. What a vile piece of work he was. Conned Eddie Davis and conned the club and it’s supporters. I hope there is a hell He deserves it.
Towards the end Gartside was ill and this was reflected in his decision making. Other employees were getting very concerned they were losing the plot and one actually took to recording conversations / meetings with him as Gartside kept doing the opposite of what he had said. This was from a former employee of the club who made a sharp exit from the club around 2015.

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32238 times
Has Liked: 5254 times

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:42 pm

Gartside was no more than an employee. He was still answerable to the owner.

mdd2
Been Liked: 1665 times
Has Liked: 700 times

Post by mdd2 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:47 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Hardly plural when one man owns half though
Only just over the 50% and I think BK had over 50%
Those 40%+ can make a significant
buffer

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:52 pm

mdd2 wrote:Only just over the 50% and I think BK had over 50%
Those 40%+ can make a significant
buffer
Don’t think Barry ever held anything like that. Our club is in a position now where one man is able to make decisions. John B has around 28% but no one else has any significant share holding.
This user liked this post: Jonboyclayton

mdd2

Post by mdd2 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:58 pm

Back to the Lord Bob days then CT?

FCBurnley

Post by FCBurnley » Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:10 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Gartside was no more than an employee. He was still answerable to the owner.
Technically you are correct but in reality Gartside was Davies`s man and he trusted him to run the club. It was Gartside with unlimited money from Davies that made the decisions. Davies was a business man and a fan who had no idea how to run a football club and had to rely on Gartside and that was his fatal error.

dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Mon Aug 26, 2019 4:32 pm

It's better for football if dodgy owners get nothing from their "speculative investment" and the club goes bust and starts again from the bottom.

Besides, there are quite a few examples of clubs that went bust and came back, and the fans no doubt had a bit of fun winning leagues on their way up.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Re: Liquidation

Post by MACCA » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:11 pm

Conroy92 wrote:Completely agree! I don't even hold as much passion for England as I do for Burnley!

Yep, feel same although got sucked in last world cup, but same outcome as usual.

Not bothered with them since.

Top Claret
Been Liked: 1127 times
Has Liked: 1238 times

Post by Top Claret » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:52 pm

Blackpool look safe now. PNE have got there act together and I can see them doing a Burnley. Bolton or goosed. Rovers will follow Bolton imo. Oldham have problems and what about Bradford

That leaves a void in Lancashire football and it leaves us in a strong position to build a larger support base to move the club forward and more self sufficient
This user liked this post: Vegas Claret

mdd2

Post by mdd2 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:09 pm

The phoenixes usually rise up from the ashes
Southampton Leeds well on their way Pompey on their way back Coventry are in danger still
Only Notts county of those clubs to have graced top flight not in the 92 if my memory is correct
Quite a few have been out for spells Leyton Orient Grimsby Carlisle but none has disappeared and I imagine both Bolton and Bury would resurface and eventually get back into the EFL
This user liked this post: Top Claret

Erasmus
Been Liked: 574 times
Has Liked: 44 times

Post by Erasmus » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:30 pm

Scarborough and Darlington pretty much disappeared, although a newly founded Darlington are now in National League North.
These 2 users liked this post: cockneyclaret Top Claret

THEWELLERNUT70
Been Liked: 997 times
Has Liked: 2007 times

Post by THEWELLERNUT70 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 6:45 pm

I honestly think it's the end of the road for Bolton. Their gate on Saturday was less than 5k. That is unsustainable in that size of stadium

bob-the-scutter
Been Liked: 420 times
Has Liked: 995 times

Post by bob-the-scutter » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:25 pm

Holmeclaret wrote:Really saddened by this. Of all football fans, I’ve always felt that Bolton were the most like ours. No-one who really loves football would want this to happen to such a great old club.
This!!

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5002 times
Has Liked: 6716 times

Post by bfcjg » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:27 pm

Biggest English club ever to fold if indeed they do. It will send shockwaves through the EFL and to a certain extent the Premier League . I think there has been a certain reluctance in the past by British banks etc to close clubs via administration however with so much foreign money and dubious loans swilling around in football the new breed of owners and lenders really don't appear to give a sh1t about tradition. Likewise with such high wages debts mount up in no time so even local wealthy supporters cannot afford to takeover as their money would soon vanish.
I think this could also be the start of semi professional football certainly in the bottom two divisions and smaller clubs such as bstards in the Championship.

nighty
Been Liked: 21 times

Post by nighty » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:28 pm

never had any feelings for them , im not bothered if they go bust , to be fair a bit like blackburn they have lived above their means for a long time and relied on a very rich benifactor helping them around ,i hope they go bust and our neighbours down the road follow them asap ......majority of both their clubs fans arrogant !!!!what comes around goes around .....utc......ps and i have a buisiness in blackburn and have taken a lot of sh..e over the years
This user liked this post: cockneyclaret

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5002 times
Has Liked: 6716 times

Post by bfcjg » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:44 pm

Taken from the Guardian nearly ten years ago. Barry Kilby's words of warning to horseface were so prophetic. Thank goodness he ignored them.

Owen Coyle was finally confirmed as the new manager of Bolton Wanderers late this afternoon when the resolution of a compensation wrangle finalised his exit from Burnley. "I'm absolutely delighted to be back at Bolton," said Coyle, who played for the club during the mid-1990s. "I look forward to bringing the good times back."

With Burnley demanding £3m for the loss of his services and Bolton wanting to pay nearer £1m, lawyers representing the Lancashire rivals had some serious negotiating to do as the former striker was placed on gardening leave after quitting Turf Moor on Tuesday.

While the eventual compensation deal left him free to start his new job, Coyle's debut in Bolton's dug-out was delayed by the postponement of their game at Sunderland yesterday due to adverse weather. Instead of travelling to Wearside, the 43-year-old had to be content with touring his new domain yesterday when he was shown around the Reebok Stadium and Bolton's training ground. His first match in charge is now scheduled to be the televised Premier League fixture at home to Arsenal next Sunday.

A delighted Phil Gartside, Bolton's chairman, said: "Owen was our No1 target and we are naturally delighted he has returned to the club as manager. He was an inspirational player who leads by example and is a great motivator. On behalf of everyone at Bolton I'd like to welcome him home."

Unsurprisingly, Coyle's departure has left a trail of bitterness at Burnley. Barry Kilby, their disappointed chairman, clearly feels Coyle had his head turned by Gartside's overtures and today suggested that Bolton's higher budget for salaries and transfers may not prove quite as attractive as it seems. "I told Owen they have £44m of bank debt but we have none," Kilby said.

"I think Bolton can say a lot of tempting things to attract Owen Coyle but whether they can deliver on them I think history will tell. But Owen wanted to work with a bigger budget and he obviously felt they had a better chance of staying up than Burnley. Owen's mindset is that he doesn't want to risk being in the Championship."

The immediate aim of the Turf Moor board is to appoint a new manager capable of sustaining Premier League football. Kilby remains keen on Simon Grayson but the Leeds manager is committed to staying at Elland Road. Another potential contender, the Norwich manager, Paul Lambert, distanced himself from suggestions that he might succeed Coyle, after bookmakers in the Bolton and Glasgow areas reported a rush of bets on him. Lambert said: "I love it here at Carrow Road. I've got a great rapport with the people here. I'm not going anywhere."
These 3 users liked this post: tim_noone Stalbansclaret morpheus2

Zom Zom
Been Liked: 688 times
Has Liked: 917 times

Post by Zom Zom » Mon Aug 26, 2019 7:59 pm

I recall being chastised by the Trotters faithful on the Mad boards, who quite obviously looked down at us in such a condescending manner.

I, like many others offered them reality checks on the financial burden they would crumble under if Davies was to leave. "Its not a loan as such, he doesn't want it back."
"We're set for life." "Deluded little jealous Burnley fans."

I wish I could track those threads down again and bump them to the top of that board, with a HUGE 'told you so.
These 2 users liked this post: morpheus2 evensteadiereddie

tim_noone
Been Liked: 4384 times
Has Liked: 15117 times

Post by tim_noone » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:04 pm

nighty wrote:never had any feelings for them , im not bothered if they go bust , to be fair a bit like blackburn they have lived above their means for a long time and relied on a very rich benifactor helping them around ,i hope they go bust and our neighbours down the road follow them asap ......majority of both their clubs fans arrogant !!!!what comes around goes around .....utc......ps and i have a buisiness in blackburn and have taken a lot of sh..e over the years
Horse sh!te or Bull Sh!te?? :o

Nonayforever
Been Liked: 690 times
Has Liked: 172 times

Post by Nonayforever » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:15 pm

Reading the above post by bfcjg brings back the memory of Coyle leaving.
What disturbed me most about the whole messy affair was not the fact that Coyle had gone to Bolton, as sh* t happens, but the fact Bolton had stolen our manager and more or less refused to pay compensation with the whole affair becoming a matter of litigation.
I have had a smug smile on my face for a while now, but hearing today's news has made me extremely happy.
These 3 users liked this post: tim_noone bfcjg bfcmik

frankinwales
Been Liked: 86 times
Has Liked: 648 times

Post by frankinwales » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:26 pm

I remember two of their posters, meachbwfc and campo being particularly smug. They used to come on our board often.......not now....

Up the Clarets......
These 2 users liked this post: morpheus2 evensteadiereddie

Lord Beamish
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:15 pm

I just wish they’d get the f *ck on with it and deliver the coup de grâce.

thelaughingclaret
Been Liked: 291 times
Has Liked: 99 times

Post by thelaughingclaret » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:16 pm

I’m sure Bolton will be given a deadline extension again tomorrow evening. The precedent has been set by the so called ‘EFL’ that clubs can have at least 5 games postponed. Bolton have had 1 league game postponed so they can have at least another 4 games postponed it seems.

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:38 pm

thelaughingclaret wrote:I’m sure Bolton will be given a deadline extension again tomorrow evening. The precedent has been set by the so called ‘EFL’ that clubs can have at least 5 games postponed. Bolton have had 1 league game postponed so they can have at least another 4 games postponed it seems.
The EFL board isn't fit for purpose,and their member clubs are well aware of that fact,i'm sure they'll fudge any difficult decisions for as long as they can,i did note that one of the 6 club representatives is the Fleetwood CEO Stephen Curwood,he's in a tricky place given Joey Barton's forthright opinions recently.

I know it's been said ad nauseam,but both Bolton and Bury's finances should have been sorted during the close season,either they are able to honour their fixture commitments or they're not,now that this farce has stretched into the league calendar it's impacting on the whole fabric of League 1,some clubs don't know if they're due to play games or not,and the teams that have already played Bolton have no idea if their efforts have been in vain,as if Bolton do end up in liquidation,those results will be null and void.

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3146 times
Has Liked: 10202 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:50 am

frankinwales wrote:I remember two of their posters, meachbwfc and campo being particularly smug. They used to come on our board often.......not now....

Up the Clarets......

mallorcatrotter was a scream - he was having none of the Bolton were on the slide stuff, a life-long supporter, put his shirt on the shrine when Lofthouse died and so on - he'll be following Citeh now, I guess.

I had to laugh at one of the Bolton area MPs harrumphing about the bloated state of the Prem, in stark contrast to the meagre gruel of the lower divisions. He wasn't being ironic at all. :lol:

The sooner that poxy club closes, the better.
This user liked this post: frankinwales

mdd2

Post by mdd2 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 8:59 am

But my reading of the situation is that the EFL will still give them 2 weeks from 5pm tonight to get sorted before they are out of the league
It is the administrators who say the club will not be able to trade from Wednesday and the winding up of BWFC will begin
The way the EFL are behaving it will be Xmas before they deny BW their EFL ticket and no doubt they will have really disrupted League One
I think the EFL are worse than all the off the field players at Bury and Bolton combined
Were they less tolerant of Aldershot in 1992?
That could have cost us promotion as we lost 6points

lesxdp
Been Liked: 112 times
Has Liked: 1662 times

Post by lesxdp » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:42 am

It is the administrators who say the club will not be able to trade from Wednesday and the winding up of BWFC will begin.

This is the main threat for BWFC. The administrators are just there to do a job and their costs are extremely high so they will wish to conclude this sorry affair asap before more money is lost to increasing debts.

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2589 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:46 am

Bolton and Bury will both carry on. Just all sides bluffing trying to get their best price at the last minute (which is never actually the last minute).

In another 10 years, they'll have had a few owners, their debts will have long been wiped and they'll be smugly lording it over someone else who's struggling then. That's the beauty of football.

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2814 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:05 am

http://www.wanderersways.com/forum/topi ... ent-719891" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is a great read
These 4 users liked this post: frankinwales Lord Beamish Wile E Coyote Foshiznik

DAVETHEVICAR
Been Liked: 825 times
Has Liked: 1608 times

Post by DAVETHEVICAR » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:07 am

Nixon very optimistic of deal done.
Says rival bid from Manchester property magnate has shown proof of funds for Club and Hotel with the footballing side a Brian O’ Neill ( not sure if it is one of my heroes The Beddlington Terrier but Nixon says an ex player) This consortium has approached the Football League at the weekend and have been around for over 2 months.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Aug 27, 2019 10:11 am

DAVETHEVICAR wrote:Nixon very optimistic of deal done.
Says rival bid from Manchester property magnate has shown proof of funds for Club and Hotel with the footballing side a Brian O’ Neill ( not sure if it is one of my heroes The Beddlington Terrier but Nixon says an ex player) This consortium has approached the Football League at the weekend and have been around for over 2 months.
I can assure you Brian O'Neil the former Claret won't have any involvement
This user liked this post: DAVETHEVICAR

Murger
Been Liked: 1235 times
Has Liked: 844 times

Post by Murger » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:08 am

Be fairly gutted if Bolton survive this.

FulledgeClaret
Been Liked: 132 times
Has Liked: 84 times

Post by FulledgeClaret » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:15 am

Murger wrote:Be fairly gutted if Bolton survive this.
Same here and even if they do survive this it will probably be a very long time before they play us in a league fixture, so its not all bad.

Lord Beamish

Post by Lord Beamish » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:17 am

ClaretAndJew wrote:http://www.wanderersways.com/forum/topi ... ent-719891

This is a great read
I know it’s not a popular opinion on here right now, but I really hope they go bust.
These 2 users liked this post: Murger Foshiznik

Dyched
Been Liked: 1921 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:22 am

People wanting a football club to go bust purely on the basis of some fans gloating a decade ago is absolutely pathetic. I remember Burnley fans weren't too bothered when we tried to get Lambert from Norwich. Had that gone through do you not think some Burnley fans would have been gloating? It’s what a few fans of each club do to provoke people online. It’s not a fair reflection of all the fanbase.

And before any says “It’s time a club went bust to sort football out”. You know as well as I do if this was bloody Charlton or Rotherham people would have a totally different opinion on the matter.
These 2 users liked this post: Erasmus claretfern

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2439 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:34 am

Brian O’Neill. More likely this fella.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brian_O'Neil_(footballer,_born_1972" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)

dushanbe
Been Liked: 396 times
Has Liked: 52 times

Post by dushanbe » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:46 am

Lord Beamish wrote:I know it’s not a popular opinion on here right now, but I really hope they go bust.
I agree I'm sick of hearing about it. I've tried to care, but I don't, its been death by a thousand cuts and they should be kicked out of the league at 5pm tonight, not a minute longer.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:49 am

Dyched wrote:And before any says “It’s time a club went bust to sort football out”. You know as well as I do if this was bloody Charlton or Rotherham people would have a totally different opinion on the matter.
So it's ok for clubs like Leicester to be able to build a brand new ground and default on the payment then?

Are you suggesting clubs should be helped out if they spend beyond their means?
This user liked this post: Vegas Claret

claptrappers_union
Been Liked: 1747 times
Has Liked: 345 times

Post by claptrappers_union » Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:59 am

HoldensHairdo - Posted January 4, 2010
The Pessimist in me thinks Burnley will do everything to keep him in his meeting with Barry Kilby.... Here's to a brighter future under Sir Coyle!

HomerJay - Posted January 4, 2010
only a matter of time now ...until we have nothing to moan about! :D

Those poor, poor people

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1148 times
Has Liked: 180 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:04 pm

While personally I couldn’t give a flying feck about Bolton going bust due to living way beyond their means from Big Sam yrs onwards . I would however be genuinely amazed if some property consortium don’t buy this at the death , Bolton ( a decent size club ) is a very different animal to poor old Bury

Top Claret

Post by Top Claret » Tue Aug 27, 2019 12:33 pm

Anderson has a 7.5mill loan to pay off that he arranged with the previous owners trust fund. Anderson says that the deal won't go through if the bidders don't agree to pick up the tab or he will kop for the loan.

If the Davies Trust fund don't waver the loan the club is finished. Anderson won't have the 7.5million, so I can see the trust fund agreeing to a nominal sum, owt is better than nowt

Foshiznik
Been Liked: 714 times
Has Liked: 1998 times
Location: Computer matrix, IP not found- current code: 00101110100101001100100 1011101010100010101101010100100

Post by Foshiznik » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:25 pm

"Owen comes home and the mongtard burnley lot are sick as pig **** .FORKING GREAT NEWS"

...and we aren't allowed to gloat now according to some...
This user liked this post: Lord Beamish

Falcon
Been Liked: 892 times
Has Liked: 1161 times

Post by Falcon » Tue Aug 27, 2019 1:33 pm

Gloat all you like but it makes you just as bad as the poster you quoted.

Nonayforever
Been Liked: 690 times
Has Liked: 172 times

Post by Nonayforever » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:03 pm

I for one, will not be gloating over the club's demise to the fans, as I think they deserve better than what has been dished out to them over the last 10 yrs.
I will however, be gloating over the club's demise to the owners, directors and the like who have put money & their own interests way above the ' club'.
The stadium, which is now called ' University of Bolton stadium' isn't even in Bolton.
The Bolton fans have been ripped off.

GodIsADeeJay81
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Tue Aug 27, 2019 2:58 pm

Bolton Wanderers: Where next as financially troubled club face liquidation? - http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/49473537" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I think the BBC Sport article is missing out some key information

Lord Beamish

Post by Lord Beamish » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:02 pm

Foshiznik wrote:"Owen comes home and the mongtard burnley lot are sick as pig **** .FORKING GREAT NEWS"

...and we aren't allowed to gloat now according to some...
Exactly this. F* ck ‘em!

FCBurnley

Post by FCBurnley » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:16 pm

Bolton and Bury should be treated no differently than any other business. If they are run properly and make a profit who benefits ? The owners/shareholders of course. If they become insolvent then all the creditors lose their investment. Thats how business works. Bolton have been trading whilst insolvent for many years and do not deserve to be bailed out by EFL or anybody else. If there is a genuine investor who wants the club then pay your money and good luck, but I strongly suspect that any investor will only be looking to pay an asking price way below the asset value and pretty much debt free. Its not rocket science. Its Business

Top Claret

Post by Top Claret » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:43 pm

Bury and Bolton should amalgamate, play at Gigg Lane and rename themselves as Burybolton.

I think the name would be quite apt

Just a thought
This user liked this post: FCBurnley

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3327 times
Has Liked: 1942 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Tue Aug 27, 2019 3:44 pm

Sounds like Bury are on the brink. Takeover fallen through.