Marvin Sordell

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32238 times
Has Liked: 5254 times

Marvin Sordell

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Sep 10, 2019 8:53 am

It's World Suicide Prevention Day today - Marvin Sordell has spoken to Sky about the day he .......

http://bit.ly/2ktguFl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6463 times
Has Liked: 2896 times

Re: Marvin Sordell

Post by Steve1956 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:16 am

I was shocked with a stat on television last night,one man commits suicide every two hrs in the UK shocking figure that,not enough is being done to help mental health.

COBBLE
Been Liked: 349 times
Has Liked: 466 times

Post by COBBLE » Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:42 am

Mental health provision has always been the underfunded side of health care provision. I think its a (sad) human perspective that its not as sexy and uplifting an event or spectacle as blue light dramas and maternity provision so the general public are not as emotionally involved.... until it happens to someone they love. Its ugly, complex and difficult to treat.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:27 am

Steve1956 wrote:I was shocked with a stat on television last night,one man commits suicide every two hrs in the UK shocking figure that,not enough is being done to help mental health.
It's absolutely horrendous - it's been highlighted to us recently with Clarke Carlisle, Alan Moore and Marvin Sordell with Keith Treacy also having awful mental health problems. Gary Speed would have been 50 two days ago, it's not far short of eight years since he died.

But there are so many people who are taking their own lives with men the most at risk. One of the problems is that it is so difficult to get help at times because it is so difficult to talk to someone about it, as I know from my own experiences which, thankfully, are now a lot of years ago.

If anyone reads this post, and has any sort of issues, please go and see someone if you can.
These 7 users liked this post: Rick_Muller BOYSIE31 Steve1956 clansman Dougall Hibsclaret CnBtruntru

Steve1956

Post by Steve1956 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:42 am

ClaretTony wrote:It's absolutely horrendous - it's been highlighted to us recently with Clarke Carlisle, Alan Moore and Marvin Sordell with Keith Treacy also having awful mental health problems. Gary Speed would have been 50 two days ago, it's not far short of eight years since he died.

But there are so many people who are taking their own lives with men the most at risk. One of the problems is that it is so difficult to get help at times because it is so difficult to talk to someone about it, as I know from my own experiences which, thankfully, are now a lot of years ago.

If anyone reads this post, and has any sort of issues, please go and see someone if you can.
I have had friends who out of the blue have suddenly Done this, people who you would never dream in a million years had problems like this,like you say it's good to talk,don't bottle it up,Factual Frank mentioned it earlier in the year......he had problems we need more guys to admit to there problems,if you just save one life by talking it's worth it,don't suffer in silence....talk.
These 3 users liked this post: ClaretTony Bosscat Dougall

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2814 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:52 am

Suicide is the biggest killer of men under 40.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6894 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:54 am

Clarke Carlisle and his wife were on Lorraine Kelly’s show this morning promoting this cause and revealing that they are expecting another child.

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5202 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:02 pm

And who knows what someone like Patrick Bamford was going through when he was really struggling with his loan spells at Palace, Norwich and Burnley.

Instead of ridiculing someone for crying in their car maybe in the future we should bear in mind that as the above examples and post prove who really knows what state peoples welbeing and mental health is at.
These 5 users liked this post: Whitgord Jeremy_Bentham tim_noone Pimlico_Claret Sausage

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:07 pm

Rileybobs wrote:Clarke Carlisle and his wife were on Lorraine Kelly’s show this morning promoting this cause and revealing that they are expecting another child.
Clarke has had horrendous problems and it affects his personality so much.

Steve1956

Post by Steve1956 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:12 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Clarke has had horrendous problems and it affects his personality so much.
Clarke is a lovely fella as well,our first season in the Premier League I bought his poppy shirt,and then I think it might have been through Facebook I arranged to meet him before kick off when we played Portsmouth I think it was,we chatted had some pictures taken, he chatted with my wife,and showed interest in us,you would never have dreamt in a million years he had problems....that's the problem they don't talk

Suratclaret
Been Liked: 332 times
Has Liked: 787 times

Post by Suratclaret » Tue Sep 10, 2019 12:21 pm

One of the most crass phrases around is being told to "man up". It doesn't matter who you are, if you are experiencing mental health problems of any description or any intensity, you need understanding not being told to pull yourself together etc. I don't mind admitting to experiencing severe depression on a couple of times in the past. Fortunately, I had very understanding employers and a couple of extremely close friends who, along with a counsellor, enabled me to start seeing the light at the end of a very long and winding tunnel.
I admire anyone who speaks out publically, particularly those who are or have been in the public eye. More need to do that.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Sep 10, 2019 1:22 pm

Steve1956 wrote:Clarke is a lovely fella as well,our first season in the Premier League I bought his poppy shirt,and then I think it might have been through Facebook I arranged to meet him before kick off when we played Portsmouth I think it was,we chatted had some pictures taken, he chatted with my wife,and showed interest in us,you would never have dreamt in a million years he had problems....that's the problem they don't talk
That’s one of the Clarke’s I know, a very pleasant man who will go out of his way to help you. But I’ve also seen the other side of him which is anything but pleasant. At the time I’d no idea of his problems.

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:24 pm

Just hope that it doesn't become fashionable to have mental health issues.

It's being used a hell of a lot lately for peoples actions, possibly like an excuse.
Just hope those who have these issues get help and support, and that it's not there because someone else has exhausted that support through attention seeking.

Some "mental heslth" or anxiety is purely is peoples conscience kicking in for their current/past mistakes and they cant live with what they have done so stick a label on it, to avoid any come backs/have a ready made excuse.

I'll end by saying if anyone ever needs to talk I've always an ear to lend and time to do so. No one should suffer in silence.

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:54 pm

MACCA wrote:Just hope that it doesn't become fashionable to have mental health issues.

It's being used a hell of a lot lately for peoples actions, possibly like an excuse.
Just hope those who have these issues get help and support, and that it's not there because someone else has exhausted that support through attention seeking.

Some "mental heslth" or anxiety is purely is peoples conscience kicking in for their current/past mistakes and they cant live with what they have done so stick a label on it, to avoid any come backs/have a ready made excuse.

I'll end by saying if anyone ever needs to talk I've always an ear to lend and time to do so. No one should suffer in silence.
Think you raise some fair issues there. Equally people who suffer from things like depression need understanding because they can’t just ‘snap out of it’ which would normally seem logical to people like myself who don’t have these sort of issues. I’m also not sure all ‘mental health issues ‘ should be lumped together. In my mind someone who is schizophrenic needs locking up not just releasing with meds. Someone with depression or a mental illness such as dementia needs understanding, patience care and attention. Anyway this thread was about suicude which isn’t always about mental health but other reasons such as facing consequences of actions, debts, stigma, a broken heart and so on.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:13 pm

MACCA wrote:Just hope that it doesn't become fashionable to have mental health issues.

That's as shocking a post as I've seen on here in a long time. Shame on you.
These 6 users liked this post: ClaretAL evensteadiereddie Lord Beamish Greenmile keith1879 Bosscat

deanothedino
Been Liked: 695 times
Has Liked: 293 times

Post by deanothedino » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:26 pm

MACCA wrote:Some "mental heslth" or anxiety is purely is peoples conscience kicking in for their current/past mistakes and they cant live with what they have done so stick a label on it, to avoid any come backs/have a ready made excuse.
Sometimes those mistakes are made because of a person's mental health. Sometimes you just aren't thinking right, or you're drinking to forget and then you do stupid **** because you're not in control. Then the fact you let yourself get out of control is compounding your original problems and you're starting to wonder if you can do anything right.

It's easy to simplify things but you're not in a person's head and you can't always understand what has led to them ending up in the situation they're in.

ClaretAL
Been Liked: 1044 times
Has Liked: 815 times

Post by ClaretAL » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:41 pm

What an absolutely disgusting post to make, hold your head in shame and go and do some research before making ludicrous comments like this. If anyone reading this is suffering take no notice whatsoever to people like this.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6894 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:44 pm

If anyone is in desperate need to talk then Macca definitely seems like the kind of understanding ear you need.
This user liked this post: Lord Beamish

Papabendi
Been Liked: 346 times
Has Liked: 48 times

Post by Papabendi » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:54 pm

[quote="MACCA"]Just hope that it doesn't become fashionable to have mental health issues.

Stopped reading there. Braindead I think...

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:59 pm

ClaretTony wrote:That's as shocking a post as I've seen on here in a long time. Shame on you.
Think you've misunderstood what I was trying to say, as it cant be as shocking as somethings said on here.

Either you've misunderstood, or playing up to the crowd.

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Tue Sep 10, 2019 4:59 pm

Papabendi wrote:
So you hope it does?

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:01 pm

ClaretAL wrote:What an absolutely disgusting post to make, hold your head in shame and go and do some research before making ludicrous comments like this. If anyone reading this is suffering take no notice whatsoever to people like this.

What's disgusting about it?
Do you not think theres people out there playing the mental health card for their mistakes?

I think you'll find quite a few have done and will continue too.

The mental health umbrella is massive, and depression has multiple symptoms , which many none sufferers can easily have a couple of.

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1678 times
Has Liked: 2513 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:02 pm

ClaretTony wrote:That's as shocking a post as I've seen on here in a long time. Shame on you.
Five months since I've been on this board, five months spent fighting the evils that are the subject of this thread. I cannot believe,nor comprehend how anxiety/depression could be seen as 'fashionable'. Perhaps one of the most crass,sickening opinions ever aired on here. I will now return to abstaining from debate/argument/ controversy and continue with the help of those nearest and dearest to me to try and get better. If this illness ever becomes 'fashionable' then it will be with great regret that I admit society plummeting into the depths of depravity from which there is no ultimate return. UTC.
This user liked this post: evensteadiereddie

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:04 pm

MACCA wrote:Think you've misunderstood what I was trying to say, as it cant be as shocking as somethings said on here.

Either you've misunderstood, or playing up to the crowd.
MACCA wrote:What's disgusting about it?
Do you not think theres people out there playing the mental health card for their mistakes?

I think you'll find quite a few have done and will continue too.

The mental health umbrella is massive, and depression has multiple symptoms , which many none sufferers can easily have a couple of.

yesterday you were posting libel, today you have lowered your standard with some appalling comments, absolutely appalling, on this thread.

Please don't reply, and please don't post on this thread again. Absolute disgrace.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:05 pm

Silkyskills1 wrote:Five months since I've been on this board, five months spent fighting the evils that are the subject of this thread. I cannot believe,nor comprehend how anxiety/depression could be seen as 'fashionable'. Perhaps one of the most crass,sickening opinions ever aired on here. I will now return to abstaining from debate/argument/ controversy and continue with the help of those nearest and dearest to me to try and get better. If this illness ever becomes 'fashionable' then it will be with great regret that I admit society plummeting into the depths of depravity from which there is no ultimate return. UTC.
Silkyskills1, really noticed you had been missing with you not commenting on the 1959/60 articles.

Can I wish you the very best in getting yourself back to full health and rest assured, I will rid this board of the people whose posts are not fit to be seen.
These 3 users liked this post: Aclaret COBBLE Bosscat

Darnhill Claret
Been Liked: 498 times
Has Liked: 992 times

Post by Darnhill Claret » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:30 pm

What this thread does is show why people often choose not to share their thoughts and/or experiences or current state of mind.

Steve1956

Post by Steve1956 » Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:35 pm

Silkyskills1 wrote:Five months since I've been on this board, five months spent fighting the evils that are the subject of this thread. I cannot believe,nor comprehend how anxiety/depression could be seen as 'fashionable'. Perhaps one of the most crass,sickening opinions ever aired on here. I will now return to abstaining from debate/argument/ controversy and continue with the help of those nearest and dearest to me to try and get better. If this illness ever becomes 'fashionable' then it will be with great regret that I admit society plummeting into the depths of depravity from which there is no ultimate return. UTC.
I'm a fellow Rawtentallian I'm down for the Everton game,if you wanna have a pint and a chat,I'll be trying out the new extended Casked on the Sunday after the game,hate seeing people suffer in silence.
This user liked this post: Silkyskills1

Marney&Mee
Been Liked: 655 times
Has Liked: 7 times

Post by Marney&Mee » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:03 pm

As someone who has suffered and been on anti depressants for 20+ Years I can see that Macca has a point. Perhaps using the word ‘fashionable’ didn’t help but if you look at the number of times defence lawyers/guilty parties use mental health as a reason they committed a crime/remorse after a crime to reduce sentencing, it is valid.

Yes millions really suffer, but a very small number will use it to help in certain situations
This user liked this post: tim_noone

Marney&Mee

Post by Marney&Mee » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:04 pm

As someone who has suffered and been on anti depressants for 20+ Years I can see that Macca has a point. Perhaps using the word ‘fashionable’ didn’t help but if you look at the number of times defence lawyers/guilty parties use mental health as a reason they committed a crime/remorse after a crime to reduce sentencing, it is valid.

Yes millions really suffer, but a very small number will use it to help in certain situations

Marney&Mee

Post by Marney&Mee » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:04 pm

And I feel that strongly about it, I’ve posted it twice!

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:07 pm

I’m sorry if some of my posts have upset anyone on this thread. It was not my intention on a subject that is very important to me but I was upset at reading some of the comments.

Lord Beamish
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:12 pm

Marney&Mee wrote:As someone who has suffered and been on anti depressants for 20+ Years I can see that Macca has a point. Perhaps using the word ‘fashionable’ didn’t help but if you look at the number of times defence lawyers/guilty parties use mental health as a reason they committed a crime/remorse after a crime to reduce sentencing, it is valid.

If Macca does have a point, I really don’t think it’s an appropriate one to make on this thread.

Also, Blackrod ought to do some more readin-up before stating that all Schizophrenics should be locked up. Two people I know very well live quite well with their Scizophenia controlled by medicine. Both hold down very good jobs, too.

Marney&Mee

Post by Marney&Mee » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:19 pm

The Adeola Friday one was a bit full. He’s getting pelters on this thread tho despite the original title/theme. Hence my feedback here

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:30 pm

I would like to apologise if I've upset anyone, as it certainly wasn't my intentions to do so.

I was trying to make a point, and as previously stated probably used the wrong wording or terminology, as well as not engaging my brain on how others may feel or could interpret it.

I also fully understand that this thread probably wasn't the correct place to air my thoughts regardless of my view.

That's all I will add on this subject.

I sincerely apologise to anyone I may have caused upset or offence.
These 4 users liked this post: Lord Beamish Silkyskills1 groove Wile E Coyote

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8426 times
Has Liked: 18096 times

Post by Bosscat » Tue Sep 10, 2019 6:38 pm

Clarkes on Look Northwest tonight right now

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Tue Sep 10, 2019 11:26 pm

Just seen this about Accy’s Billy Kee. Really hope he can come through this.

https://www.accringtonstanley.co.uk/new ... statement/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

claret59
Been Liked: 138 times

Post by claret59 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:23 am

Blackrod writes: In my mind someone who is schizophrenic needs locking up not just releasing with meds.

A sweeping statement and ill-informed. One of my sons is a diagnosed schizophrenic and Is no danger to anyone except himself. A more gentle, polite and loving person than my son would be hard to meet. I am concerned as to his medical situation but very proud of how he conducts himself.
These 2 users liked this post: JohnMac Lord Beamish

Inchy
Been Liked: 1332 times
Has Liked: 95 times

Post by Inchy » Wed Sep 11, 2019 7:10 am

Mental health services are massively underfunded.
All this does is make things worse for the individual who is suffering, and it puts a massive burden on the acute hospital beds.

Every week I see people who are needing my medical advise because they didn’t have the mental health support they required.

I see Patients that are recurrently, and by that I mean over 20 times this year, being admitted for self harm. Not surprising in my experience this has got worse and worse since austerity began.

It’s failing those who are suffering mentally but it also has a knock on effect for anyone who needs an acute hospital bed.
This user liked this post: beddie

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1147 times
Has Liked: 180 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:04 am

While most mental health trusts are cash strapped ,they quite simply cannot get enough nurses to train . Most initial enrollees divert to the more glamourous sounding psychologist roles ( though few end up practicing )

Most acute beds are taken by persistent self harmers and those with drug/alcohol issues which stretches services to the max . Though the vast amount of GP’s are massively more aware of initial MH issues and the early pathways to follow .

Macca actually makes a very valid point about services being occasionally abused . Not so much the acute end ( in fact quite rarely ) but the “ entry level “ going to your GP with stress/depression is a very easy option for those looking for a “ way out of work “ or a benefits ruse and so forth, more to do with myriad symptoms and time and difficulty in/before a full diagnosis that appeals to some . It has nothing to do with genuine cases at all it’s just an unfortunate by product .

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2588 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Wed Sep 11, 2019 8:56 am

I thought Macca would get grief for that post, and it would have been better to not post it at all.

Although it's also not helpful to jump all over someone if they don't understand something. Someone isn't necessarily a troll or a nasty **** because they don't know enough about a subject. I don't see the need to all pile in on them.

I must confess to not fully understanding or appreciating issues around mental health. I think it's such a difficult thing to grasp if you're fortunate not to suffer yourself. My moods thus far in life have swung from 'a bit miffed' to 'fairly chuffed'. So ideas of depression, let alone suicide, are alien to me. I don't assume that'll always be the case but it has been up to now.

Obviously the more you read on it, and listen to people, you can educate yourself on what a problem it is but I admit I still can't fully comprehend how it feels and affects people's lives.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:32 am

Of course this is a very emotive subject and unfortunately the ones who understand it most are the ones who have been through it themselves or have someone close who has been through it.
Macca has apologised which is fine but he’s also saying he should not have aired his views on here - which is not really fine because these views are so ignorant.
If somebody said that they didn’t really understand mental health issues or suicidal thoughts because they have never experienced it or know of anybody have then that’s acceptable....they are the lucky ones.
To be part of the “stiff upper lift / pull yourself together” brigade is frankly pretty embarrassing with the amount of people who have come out in recent years to talk about it - one of the main reasons they do this is to increase awareness and understanding of the issues.
One final thing Macca - to make the offer to anybody suffering to have a chat with you might have been well intended but probably only goes to show how much you are belittling the illness. Do you seriously think with the views you expressed you could help anyone ?
Hopefully the only good that comes from your comments is that you think twice before posting in the future.

JohnMac
Been Liked: 2367 times
Has Liked: 3781 times

Post by JohnMac » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:39 am

claret59 wrote:Blackrod writes: In my mind someone who is schizophrenic needs locking up not just releasing with meds.

A sweeping statement and ill-informed. One of my sons is a diagnosed schizophrenic and Is no danger to anyone except himself. A more gentle, polite and loving person than my son would be hard to meet. I am concerned as to his medical situation but very proud of how he conducts himself.
As is one of mine.

Suratclaret
Been Liked: 332 times
Has Liked: 787 times

Post by Suratclaret » Wed Sep 11, 2019 9:42 am

I think this thread pretty well illustrates how difficult and, at times, controversial it is to fully understand mental health issues. From ignorance to expressions of definite views, exasperation and anger...all represented here and I guess that is a accurate reflection of the general public's views.
As attitudes change and more and more refuse to suffer in silence, then there will inevitably be a seemingly increase in the numbers of those with mental health issues. The ambulance service, the police and prisons all confirm the increase in those experiencing problems of this nature.
Don't be afraid to talk...don't be afraid to listen - Both are so so important.

Papabendi
Been Liked: 346 times
Has Liked: 48 times

Post by Papabendi » Wed Sep 11, 2019 10:21 am

No witchhunt. But if you post utter shite you will get called out.

Foshiznik
Been Liked: 714 times
Has Liked: 1998 times
Location: Computer matrix, IP not found- current code: 00101110100101001100100 1011101010100010101101010100100

Post by Foshiznik » Wed Sep 11, 2019 11:37 am

TVC15 wrote:Of course this is a very emotive subject and unfortunately the ones who understand it most are the ones who have been through it themselves or have someone close who has been through it.
Macca has apologised which is fine but he’s also saying he should not have aired his views on here - which is not really fine because these views are so ignorant.
If somebody said that they didn’t really understand mental health issues or suicidal thoughts because they have never experienced it or know of anybody have then that’s acceptable....they are the lucky ones.
To be part of the “stiff upper lift / pull yourself together” brigade is frankly pretty embarrassing with the amount of people who have come out in recent years to talk about it - one of the main reasons they do this is to increase awareness and understanding of the issues.
One final thing Macca - to make the offer to anybody suffering to have a chat with you might have been well intended but probably only goes to show how much you are belittling the illness. Do you seriously think with the views you expressed you could help anyone ?
Hopefully the only good that comes from your comments is that you think twice before posting in the future.
As a long time sufferer of clinically diagnosed Anxiety and PTSD, and son of a man who was on the brink of suicide due to depression, I do not see Macca's views as ignorant like you do. There are people who are ignorant, who belittle those with mental health issues but there are also people who too quickly throw around depression as an excuse for their actions, which is perhaps the most belittling thing i have ever seen someone do, when it comes to mental health.

Also, you appear hypocritical when you say that those that with mental health issues need to talk, but in the same post tell Macca not to. Everyone should have the right to an opinion or be able to talk to someone/thing. It is with differing opinions, that reasoned debate can be created that brings such awareness and understanding to the forefront of society - even if you strongly disagree with the opposite opinion. No one person has more right to speak than any other.

On a brighter note, I wish everyone of you on here the very best when it comes to dealing with mental health and send my support to you in your fight. I really enjoy the messageboard for such a great community, where differing views can be tolerated and debated and it certainly helps my mental health (apart from the minority on the b-word threads!)
These 3 users liked this post: Blackrod Sausage Bosscat

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:15 pm

Foshiznik wrote:As a long time sufferer of clinically diagnosed Anxiety and PTSD, and son of a man who was on the brink of suicide due to depression, I do not see Macca's views as ignorant like you do. There are people who are ignorant, who belittle those with mental health issues but there are also people who too quickly throw around depression as an excuse for their actions, which is perhaps the most belittling thing i have ever seen someone do, when it comes to mental health.

Also, you appear hypocritical when you say that those that with mental health issues need to talk, but in the same post tell Macca not to. Everyone should have the right to an opinion or be able to talk to someone/thing. It is with differing opinions, that reasoned debate can be created that brings such awareness and understanding to the forefront of society - even if you strongly disagree with the opposite opinion. No one person has more right to speak than any other.

On a brighter note, I wish everyone of you on here the very best when it comes to dealing with mental health and send my support to you in your fight. I really enjoy the messageboard for such a great community, where differing views can be tolerated and debated and it certainly helps my mental health (apart from the minority on the b-word threads!)
Don’t think I was being hypocritical.
I was saying that people coming out in the public talking about mental health is positive.
Whereas somebody on a message board who thinks that this has become “fashionable” might not be the most qualified person for someone with mental health to go and have a chat with.
And of course everyone is entitled to their opinion. In the same way it’s fine to be called out by others if they think your opinion is wrong or ill informed
This user liked this post: Foshiznik

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Wed Sep 11, 2019 1:54 pm

Steve1956 wrote:Clarke is a lovely fella as well,our first season in the Premier League I bought his poppy shirt,and then I think it might have been through Facebook I arranged to meet him before kick off when we played Portsmouth I think it was,we chatted had some pictures taken, he chatted with my wife,and showed interest in us,you would never have dreamt in a million years he had problems....that's the problem they don't talk
I've got Dean Marneys poppy shirt from the Palace game in 2016. I met him after a match later in the season ... smashing lad and a great sense of humour ... he will always be one of my favourite players.

Back to CC
Clarke went on Countdown on TV and won a couple of games .. can't remember if it was the Prem season or one before or after????

He always comes across as a level headed lad, and its a terrible thing thinking about the horrors he feels inside and has driven him to the dark places he has been...

The mind is a complex thing and thankfully judging by seeing him last night on Look Northwest he is getting good help.

Foshiznik
Been Liked: 714 times
Has Liked: 1998 times
Location: Computer matrix, IP not found- current code: 00101110100101001100100 1011101010100010101101010100100

Post by Foshiznik » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:03 pm

TVC15 wrote:Don’t think I was being hypocritical.
I was saying that people coming out in the public talking about mental health is positive.
Whereas somebody on a message board who thinks that this has become “fashionable” might not be the most qualified person for someone with mental health to go and have a chat with.
And of course everyone is entitled to their opinion. In the same way it’s fine to be called out by others if they think your opinion is wrong or ill informed
I think the message Macca put wasn't that he thought it was fashionable to have a mental health issue but that he was concerned that some people view it that way, but i get your point.
This user liked this post: TVC15

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 1985 times
Has Liked: 2875 times

Post by elwaclaret » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:14 pm

Suicide prevention day... and I’m having my worst black dog day in about 3 years. Anyone who thinks mental illness is a fashion, they are very lucky.

Fortunately the black dog only visits a couple of days at a time these days. Mind training will soon kick in. Horrible, horribly debilitating condition, give me physical pain any day over depression.

Bosscat

Post by Bosscat » Wed Sep 11, 2019 2:22 pm

elwaclaret wrote:Suicide prevention day... and I’m having my worst black dog day in about 3 years. Anyone who thinks mental illness is a fashion, they are very lucky.

Fortunately the black dog only visits a couple of days at a time these days. Mind training will soon kick in. Horrible, horribly debilitating condition, give me physical pain any day over depression.
Nobody who hasn't suffered or been close to anyone who suffers depression can comprehend what people go through on the dark days m8.

All we can hope is the help is there for people and they are able to get the help they need.

Good to see you can come on here elwa m8 and hope it helps relieve some of the pressure that the "black dog" puts on you.

UTC
This user liked this post: elwaclaret