Sunday Newspaper Report on Clarets Victory.

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Better Call Saul
Been Liked: 116 times
Has Liked: 48 times

Sunday Newspaper Report on Clarets Victory.

Post by Better Call Saul » Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:21 pm

Below is a section from a Sunday newspaper I read this morning that was reporting on the Clarets victory over Norwich.
I just loved it.

We are Burnley. We are going to play 4-4-2. We are going to get balls and bodies into the box. We are going to drag you into a fight and we are going to fancy our chances.
We are going to hassle and harry and make sure that if you insist on playing out from the back like Barcelona then had better be good enough to play that way.
Promoted Norwich City, who had miraculously defeated an error-strewn Manchester City last Saturday, were not. They found no such Lancastrian hospitality here.
A Chris Wood brace - his first goals of the season - killed the game within 15 minutes. They may not win many fans outside their Pennine homeland but perhaps Burnley should.
In many ways, their direct methods can be interpreted as a thing of beauty.
These 16 users liked this post: Stalbansclaret Cajun Dark Cloud bobinho evensteadiereddie bfcjg Anonymous Bosscat k90bfc MT03ALG Colburn_Claret jjclaret THEWELLERNUT70 Holtyclaret Bfcboyo groove

kaptin1
Been Liked: 460 times
Has Liked: 109 times

Re: Sunday Newspaper Report on Clarets Victory.

Post by kaptin1 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:32 pm

It is “come and have a go if you think yer ‘ard enough” football

ClaretLoup
Been Liked: 534 times
Has Liked: 185 times

Post by ClaretLoup » Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:35 pm

No one likes us, we don't care.
This user liked this post: k90bfc

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8654 times

Post by IanMcL » Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:00 pm

The real beat the fashion.

Longside4evr
Been Liked: 519 times
Has Liked: 266 times

Post by Longside4evr » Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:11 pm

chim chimney chim chimney chim chim cheroo we are the b@stards in claret and blue

EarbyClaret
Been Liked: 498 times

Post by EarbyClaret » Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:49 pm

I'd say already we're almost certain to stay up this season. The top six appears to be the top two and there are opportunities to take points off 17 teams. Of the rest there seems to be an obsession with technically limited players trying to play in the style of Barcelona. We are almost uniquely unlikely to compromise and are likewise not adapting to a perceived media image of playing into the hands of the better teams by attempting to match them in style.
This user liked this post: Dark Cloud

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 1981 times
Has Liked: 3299 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Sun Sep 22, 2019 4:58 pm

Excellent line there "if you want to play like Barcelona, you'd better be good enough". We aren't and never try to, but some teams think they can and against us of all teams you'll pay for it.

bobinho
Been Liked: 4070 times
Has Liked: 6538 times

Post by bobinho » Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:06 pm

I'm extremely proud of that.
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

evensteadiereddie
Been Liked: 3146 times
Has Liked: 10202 times

Post by evensteadiereddie » Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:15 pm

Absolutely. And the truth is we play some damned good football at times.
These 3 users liked this post: Bosscat k90bfc Juan Tanamera

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8429 times
Has Liked: 18098 times

Post by Bosscat » Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:51 pm

evensteadiereddie wrote:Absolutely. And the truth is we play some damned good football at times.
Do you not read these pages Eddie m8...

According to some on here.... we play hoofball aka Dycheball anti football...
Our midfield is gash...
Our 19 yr old winger is all of a sudden playing crap and our left back is rubbish.
Woody always offside (OK he is offside a lot but not on Saturday ;) )
Pope Nicholas the 1st is not a patch on Tom Heaton (I like Tom ... this is for comedic effect by the way ;) ) .....

:D :D :D
I agree we play some damned fine football at times :D

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3060 times
Has Liked: 5023 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:54 pm

There are definitely times when we do play hoofball, not often but we do.
The fact is we always look so much better, and create more chances, when we get the ball on the deck and pass it.
we have it the wrong way around. When we are struggling we revert to the long ball, when we should be trying to play that football to feet.
It helps when the opposition midfield is as lightweight as Norwich's, but I love it when we get on the front foot and pass it around.
Anti football, you're having a laugh.
This user liked this post: Juan Tanamera

Tinribs
Been Liked: 281 times
Has Liked: 20 times

Post by Tinribs » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:31 pm

Colburn_Claret wrote:There are definitely times when we do play hoofball, not often but we do.
The fact is we always look so much better, and create more chances, when we get the ball on the deck and pass it.
we have it the wrong way around. When we are struggling we revert to the long ball, when we should be trying to play that football to feet.
It helps when the opposition midfield is as lightweight as Norwich's, but I love it when we get on the front foot and pass it around.
Anti football, you're having a laugh.

Tinribs
Been Liked: 281 times
Has Liked: 20 times

Post by Tinribs » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:36 pm

Hoof ball ??
We don’t play hoof ball,hoof ball is just kicking the ball as far as you can up the pitch.
We play long but with purpose our long passes or all played into areas targeted by the ciachung staff during the week.Sometimes central,sometimes into the corners behind the full backs or maybe diagonal balls too.
The objective is to win football matches and don’t let anyone tell you how it should be done

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:37 pm

bobinho wrote:I'm extremely proud of that.
You just nailed it. Spot on.

Andreshotboots
Been Liked: 647 times
Has Liked: 102 times

Post by Andreshotboots » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:49 pm

There was one point yesterday when we nearly scored after about 30 passes just before half time. Media won't report that as it doesn't fit in with the cobbled streets, old chimneys and long ball Burnley agenda.
These 3 users liked this post: Bosscat Juan Tanamera evensteadiereddie

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2887 times
Has Liked: 1760 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:06 pm

its a bit poor that most journalists trot out the same tired stuff without bothering to watch us. Admittedly, this piece heaps a fair bit of praise on us, but mostly the media just copy off each other.
Its akin to being patted on the head usually, stoic clarets, fighting for a common cause, dyche fit, not pretty to watch etc etc.
The reality is we can often play incredibly well.
Not seeing the multi billionaire mobs in our division doing that much in terms of easy on the eye football, in fact we look far more entertaining than most.
United for example are just a turgid lump of a team currently, and chelsea are average at best.
we are better than they portray us, but the simple minded approach of patronising our town and team is plain lazy.

Darnhill Claret
Has Liked: 992 times

Post by Darnhill Claret » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:11 am

I would say that Chelsea and Leicester are battling it out for the current third/fourth best Prem side. I think we are currently in the next group, possibly 5th to 10th.

Darnhill Claret

Post by Darnhill Claret » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:13 am

Spurs either with us in our group or with Chelsea and Leicester. Haven’t made my mind up yet.

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:49 am

I have posted before that only the arrogant and those lacking in knowledge criticise other team's tactics. Despite their great win against a very bad City (on the day of course) Norwich, on the evidence of Saturday, are going to be a classic case of a team getting relegated playing pretty football. Many have tried to do that in the PL and most have failed. Stoke spent many years in the PL playing not unlike we do. It works. If it works it is NOT bad, just different. There is no particular way to play football, it doesn't matter how you play as long as you win (or don't lose depending on who you are playing). One of the worst aspects of the PL is the sheer arrogance of many fans (not all of the big 6) who criticise 'the long ball' in it's various forms but their team and it's manager still get beaten by it. If it is so bad find a way of beating it or just shut the f*ck up.

Incidentally what the outside world finds it difficult to accept is that we use the long ball when we have to, not all the time, we played some pretty damned good stuff on Saturday and we were a joy to watch.
These 3 users liked this post: Bosscat Stalbansclaret Juan Tanamera

THEWELLERNUT70
Been Liked: 997 times
Has Liked: 2007 times

Post by THEWELLERNUT70 » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:55 am

Its a case of you play with feathers and you get your ar5e tickled once in a while

And we like to do the tickling
These 3 users liked this post: houseboy fatboy47 Juan Tanamera

bfcmik
Been Liked: 891 times
Has Liked: 1100 times

Post by bfcmik » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:26 pm

Lily (Robbie) Savage defended us against that 'Long Ball, Championship football' tag the other week on 606 following a Wolves fan called us horrendous. He said it isn't long ball it is EFFECTIVE football. He added that with the resources we had at our disposal we could not afford to go chasing players to make us the next Manchester City. We had evolved a style that has kept us in the Premier League for 4 seasons, given us a shot at European football and beaten most of the top 6 at various times and who is to say we should do anything different.
This user liked this post: Juan Tanamera

wilks_bfc
Been Liked: 3170 times
Has Liked: 1848 times

Post by wilks_bfc » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:56 pm

EarbyClaret wrote:I'd say already we're almost certain to stay up this season. The top six appears to be the top two and there are opportunities to take points off 17 teams. Of the rest there seems to be an obsession with technically limited players trying to play in the style of Barcelona. We are almost uniquely unlikely to compromise and are likewise not adapting to a perceived media image of playing into the hands of the better teams by attempting to match them in style.

I know Liverpool & City are good, but I dont think they are good enough to take all six places :D

Goobs
Been Liked: 1459 times

Post by Goobs » Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:58 pm

I expect the top 6 to be filled (in no particular order) by Liverpool, City, Arsenal, Spurs, Leicester and Chelsea at the moment with teams like us, WHU and maybe Bournemouth fighting out for the last potential Europa spot with United (depending on how long they take to pot Ole).

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:22 pm

Goobs wrote:I expect the top 6 to be filled (in no particular order) by Liverpool, City, Arsenal, Spurs, Leicester and Chelsea at the moment with teams like us, WHU and maybe Bournemouth fighting out for the last potential Europa spot with United (depending on how long they take to pot Ole).
Don't mention the Europa League on here bud, some are likely to start whaling and gnashing of teeth at the thought of playing in that damned Europe thing again. The last thing some want is to finish high enough to play in Europe - we aren't worthy.

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon Sep 23, 2019 1:26 pm

Goobs wrote:I expect the top 6 to be filled (in no particular order) by Liverpool, City, Arsenal, Spurs, Leicester and Chelsea at the moment with teams like us, WHU and maybe Bournemouth fighting out for the last potential Europa spot with United (depending on how long they take to pot Ole).
Get to 40 points asap and see how we get on.

Still a danger that injuries could cause us problems but we've made a very bright start.

Goobs

Post by Goobs » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:25 pm

houseboy wrote:Don't mention the Europa League on here bud, some are likely to start whaling and gnashing of teeth at the thought of playing in that damned Europe thing again. The last thing some want is to finish high enough to play in Europe - we aren't worthy.
haha. I don't know what all the fuss was about. We survived didn't we? Maybe if both Pope and Heaton had been fit.....Will be a good experience for BPF :)
This user liked this post: houseboy

Goobs

Post by Goobs » Mon Sep 23, 2019 2:27 pm

Lancasterclaret wrote:Get to 40 points asap and see how we get on.

Still a danger that injuries could cause us problems but we've made a very bright start.
Oh for sure. Not getting carried away just yet. We do look good so far though and there is potential that some of the big boys may struggle this season (Utd and Chelsea both look beatable for example and Spurs seem off it too at the moment). Long long way to go yet and I'm sure there will be injuries and suspensions along the way too.

summitclaret
Been Liked: 826 times
Has Liked: 1307 times

Post by summitclaret » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:16 pm

houseboy wrote:Don't mention the Europa League on here bud, some are likely to start whaling and gnashing of teeth at the thought of playing in that damned Europe thing again. The last thing some want is to finish high enough to play in Europe - we aren't worthy.
Too right just look at Wolves. Micky Mouse and should be done away with.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Mon Sep 23, 2019 3:28 pm

summitclaret wrote:Too right just look at Wolves. Micky Mouse and should be done away with.
Open question to all Euro competition haters: What would you do if by some miracle we got a Champions League place? Say to UEFA 'no thanks - we have to prioritise the PL').

Supplementary question: Do you think that the PL is the be all and end all of football and that all other competitions should be shunned by us?

These are serious questions - I'm not being frivolous - I want to know what (other than money) makes some of our fans excited. Do you honestly think that the endless drudge of PL survival is all there is? Do you not want to see some of Europe's biggest names playing at the Turf? Even in the Europa there are some very big clubs involved - including our own. And why is it a Mickey Mouse competition? The Fairs Cup and UEFA Cup, it's predecessors, were well respected and highly thought of.

I am honestly very seriously bemused by the PL at all costs attitude - perosnally if the cost of winning a trophy was relegation I'd take it (and it doesn't have to be that way anyway).
This user liked this post: scouseclaret

Stalbansclaret
Been Liked: 1658 times
Has Liked: 2963 times

Post by Stalbansclaret » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:02 pm

Isn't this anti-European-qualification thing a figment of your imagination ? Like many fans I'd be very nervous about us qualifying in terms of the impact on our Premier League form but it doesn't mean I don't want us to qualify. It's perfectly possible to hold both these feelings..as illogical as it seems. It's football after all and logic goes out of the window. Loved seeing us in Europe and would love more..though I think people are maybe getting carried away a bit !

claret wizard
Been Liked: 261 times
Has Liked: 89 times

Post by claret wizard » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:16 pm

Loved the Europe thing, had a great trip to Istanbul.

However, it's the sheer amount of games and the silly start time of the season that's the issue with the Europa League. It's not even as if we see any financial reward for all those extra games. In most normal qualification years we would have qualified. Look at Olympaikos and Beseksahir in the main draws this year. We would have struggled to stay up last season if we'd reached the group stages.

We've two full squads to go at this year, maybe we would have fared a bit better. I still think the issue last year (in both Premier League and Europa league games) was not sure much tired players, but switching 50% of the team each game and the confusion that causes.

Untinted Glasses
Been Liked: 132 times
Has Liked: 152 times

Post by Untinted Glasses » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:27 pm

Bosscat wrote:Do you not read these pages Eddie m8...

According to some on here.... we play hoofball aka Dycheball anti football...
Our midfield is gash...
Our 19 yr old winger is all of a sudden playing crap and our left back is rubbish.
Woody always offside (OK he is offside a lot but not on Saturday ;) )
Pope Nicholas the 1st is not a patch on Tom Heaton (I like Tom ... this is for comedic effect by the way ;) ) .....

:D :D :D
I agree we play some damned fine football at times :D
If you analysed every forum on a subjective topic you will find a wide range of opinions. This is how a healthy forum should be and proves the message board is quite interesting and full of varied reviews. None are wrong, none are right, the're just peoples opinions. A lot of football boards are absolutely dead and if every one came on here and agreed with each other it would be most boring. Just appreciate the varied opinions you find on the board and appreciate it for what it is.

Darnhill Claret

Post by Darnhill Claret » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:38 pm

If we were to qualify for the Europa by winning the FA Cup would I be right in thinking that we qualify for the Europa group stages? If so that is the way forward. Or why don’t we petition EUFA to make qualifying games where all travel expenses for the away side are paid, one off knockout games.

Bosscat
Been Liked: 8429 times
Has Liked: 18098 times

Post by Bosscat » Mon Sep 23, 2019 4:56 pm

Untinted Glasses wrote:If you analysed every forum on a subjective topic you will find a wide range of opinions. This is how a healthy forum should be and proves the message board is quite interesting and full of varied reviews. None are wrong, none are right, the're just peoples opinions. A lot of football boards are absolutely dead and if every one came on here and agreed with each other it would be most boring. Just appreciate the varied opinions you find on the board and appreciate it for what it is.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

summitclaret
Been Liked: 826 times
Has Liked: 1307 times

Post by summitclaret » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:13 pm

houseboy wrote:Open question to all Euro competition haters: What would you do if by some miracle we got a Champions League place? Say to UEFA 'no thanks - we have to prioritise the PL').

Supplementary question: Do you think that the PL is the be all and end all of football and that all other competitions should be shunned by us?

These are serious questions - I'm not being frivolous - I want to know what (other than money) makes some of our fans excited. Do you honestly think that the endless drudge of PL survival is all there is? Do you not want to see some of Europe's biggest names playing at the Turf? Even in the Europa there are some very big clubs involved - including our own. And why is it a Mickey Mouse competition? The Fairs Cup and UEFA Cup, it's predecessors, were well respected and highly thought of.

I am honestly very seriously bemused by the PL at all costs attitude - perosnally if the cost of winning a trophy was relegation I'd take it (and it doesn't have to be that way anyway).
CL is totally different both in status and financially so I would love it. Even if we went down it would be worth it for the experience.

The EL especially when having to play 6 games to actually get in it and then far too many games to progress is not worth the effect on the bread and butter of staying in the PL. Just look at how scared the Board are to sign a permanent cm in case we were to go down.

I am pretty sure that the Board were happy not to progress last year as evidenced by the failure to staff up adequately.

The Fairs Cup etc needed far fewer games to win it and that is the main reason why the EL is Micky Mouse.

Edit. I love the FA Cup to be taken seriously and tbe EL to be either scrapped or go back to a handful of games and not start before the season. I'd also scrap the League Cup. Giving a place in the CL for the FA Cup winners would transform the FA Cup.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Mon Sep 23, 2019 5:25 pm

We'll just have to make sure we finish high enough to go straight into the group stage then! Joking aside next summer could be a big one with Hendrick and Lennon likely to leave and Drinkwater going back to Chelsea, our midfield will definitely need reinforcements.

IanMcL

Post by IanMcL » Mon Sep 23, 2019 11:43 pm

Why would Hendrick leave?

bfcmik
Been Liked: 891 times
Has Liked: 1100 times

Post by bfcmik » Tue Sep 24, 2019 12:15 am

His contract ends June 2020

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:20 am

IanMcL wrote:Why would Hendrick leave?
His contracts up this summer. My guess is that we've offered him an extension but he's turned it down.

superdimitri
Been Liked: 1005 times
Has Liked: 725 times

Post by superdimitri » Tue Sep 24, 2019 7:24 am

My guess is he is performing so well because his contract is up soon and once he signs a new deal he won't perform as well again.

JTClaret
Been Liked: 181 times
Has Liked: 119 times

Post by JTClaret » Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:22 am

I'd love to see us have another go at European football, and I think we'd do better if we got there with the current set up.
I'm still of the opinion we should play our first team in all games, but players more likely to get into the first team through injuries and fitness levels rather than '2 squads'. The squad rotation doesn't suit Dyche and players who got us there got frustrated at not been given a go at what they had earnt (that's my view on it anyway).

Regarding the opening post, we do play some good football. But we do also play 'if in doubt, kick it out' defending... at times annoying, but it works.

IanMcL

Post by IanMcL » Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:59 pm

jrgbfc wrote:His contracts up this summer. My guess is that we've offered him an extension but he's turned it down.
We are his best chance of prem footie.

IanMcL

Post by IanMcL » Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:01 pm

The thread title reminds me how we miss BigDave's Sunday Papers post.
This user liked this post: Marty Dobson

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:35 pm

summitclaret wrote:CL is totally different both in status and financially so I would love it. Even if we went down it would be worth it for the experience.

The EL especially when having to play 6 games to actually get in it and then far too many games to progress is not worth the effect on the bread and butter of staying in the PL. Just look at how scared the Board are to sign a permanent cm in case we were to go down.

I am pretty sure that the Board were happy not to progress last year as evidenced by the failure to staff up adequately.

The Fairs Cup etc needed far fewer games to win it and that is the main reason why the EL is Micky Mouse.

Edit. I love the FA Cup to be taken seriously and tbe EL to be either scrapped or go back to a handful of games and not start before the season. I'd also scrap the League Cup. Giving a place in the CL for the FA Cup winners would transform the FA Cup.
Fair points well made.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Tue Sep 24, 2019 6:37 pm

IanMcL wrote:The thread title reminds me how we miss BigDave's Sunday Papers post.
Totally forgot about that. Wouldn't take much for us to get another thread up and running though.
This user liked this post: IanMcL