Jay Rod v Wood v Barnes

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
burnleymik
Been Liked: 1162 times
Has Liked: 2899 times

Re: Jay Rod v Wood v Barnes

Post by burnleymik » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:16 am

For me personally I like how Dyche is currently doing it. Barnes and Wood start with Jayrod as a solid back-up if one of them isn't getting into the game. I certainly think Jay gave us another angle today when he came on, some of his runs were class.

I do feel a bit sorry for Vydra, I have always felt like I would like to see him get game time, but no doubt Barnes and Woody doing well, even if it seems they both never seem to fire at the same time!

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2887 times
Has Liked: 1760 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:20 am

vydra should get his chance, jay rod thing is becoming emporer's new clothes..

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5154 times
Has Liked: 795 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:21 am

I only remember Wood having one half chance.

I have a sieve for a memory though.

Burnleyareback2
Been Liked: 772 times
Has Liked: 1426 times

Post by Burnleyareback2 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:21 am

Rileybobs wrote:Jesus Christ. Why don’t you just save us both the time and effort and briefly describe the three chances?
Watch it back son, you strike me as someone who has time on their hands.

HieronymousBoschHobs
Been Liked: 140 times
Has Liked: 58 times

Post by HieronymousBoschHobs » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:22 am

Depends who we're playing/where we're playing. Good to have a clear cut tactical option rather than a like-for-like swap. Our squad is strong but it's not massively varied - obviously that works for us because we have a smallish group compared to some clubs and Dyche tends to stick to the same system, but being able to tweak one position or two is surely helpful. Today it made sense to have Jay on when Everton were down to ten, I thought, because we were likely to have more space and more of the ball which suits a more technical player (I imagine). It might be a similar story when we play Sheffield United or potentially Newcastle.

Rileybobs
Been Liked: 6900 times
Has Liked: 1471 times

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:22 am

Burnleyareback2 wrote:Watch it back son, you strike me as someone who has time on their hands.
You strike me as a liar who’s been caught out, boy.

Burnleyareback2

Post by Burnleyareback2 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:23 am

Wile E Coyote wrote:vydra should get his chance, jay rod thing is becoming emporer's new clothes..
Not the Vydra thread again, please

Burnleyareback2

Post by Burnleyareback2 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:28 am

Rileybobs wrote:You strike me as a liar who’s been caught out, boy.
Brilliant!

As above I must be wrong and watched a different game today.

As you say he didn’t have 3 clear chances on goal I must of made it up.

For a striker playing 90minutes against a struggling team 0 chances is a great return. Lets get a song for him.

Wile E Coyote

Post by Wile E Coyote » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:28 am

Burnleyareback2 wrote:Not the Vydra thread again, please
Ahhhh, what's the matter, can't tolerate a tactical debate, go back to talk sport !

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:30 am

Burnleyareback2 wrote:Brilliant!

As above I must be wrong and watched a different game today.

As you say he didn’t have 3 clear chances on goal I must of made it up.

For a striker playing 90minutes against a struggling team 0 chances is a great return. Lets get a song for him.
You’re just waffling now fella.
This user liked this post: Lord Beamish

Burnleyareback2

Post by Burnleyareback2 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:32 am

Wile E Coyote wrote:Ahhhh, what's the matter, can't tolerate a tactical debate, go back to talk sport !
Hahah :) get the balon dor ready for him!

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2439 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Sun Oct 06, 2019 12:48 am

Start Wood/Barnes but give J a proper run out, say 30mins. It also has the bonus of keeping the other two fresh because they both put a hell of a shift in whether playing well or not.

thelaughingclaret
Been Liked: 291 times
Has Liked: 99 times

Post by thelaughingclaret » Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:04 am

Wood does score goals when given the ball in the 6 yard box but to play in this burnley side you have to do more then that in a way. If you think wood is strong, gives 100% and has overall good round play then you are deluded and or drunk. Out of the 3 he is the weakest overall player. BArnes and Jay Rod do more then just score goals, wood does not. He offers very little threat unless he has the ball 2 yards out. He’s weak.

Wile E Coyote

Post by Wile E Coyote » Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:10 am

thelaughingclaret wrote:Wood does score goals when given the ball in the 6 yard box but to play in this burnley side you have to do more then that in a way. If you think wood is strong, gives 100% and has overall good round play then you are deluded and or drunk. Out of the 3 he is the weakest overall player. BArnes and Jay Rod do more then just score goals, wood does not. He offers very little threat unless he has the ball 2 yards out. He’s weak.
bilge. you don't know football.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:15 am

thelaughingclaret wrote:Wood does score goals when given the ball in the 6 yard box but to play in this burnley side you have to do more then that in a way. If you think wood is strong, gives 100% and has overall good round play then you are deluded and or drunk. Out of the 3 he is the weakest overall player. BArnes and Jay Rod do more then just score goals, wood does not. He offers very little threat unless he has the ball 2 yards out. He’s weak.
Laughable.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:18 am

Wile E Coyote wrote:vydra should get his chance, jay rod thing is becoming emporer's new clothes..
He's bursting to score, but can we break this current pairing?

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:31 am

Burnleyareback2 wrote:Watch it back son, you strike me as someone who has time on their hands.
Just watched MOTD highlights of the game which appear to have shown the key events of the game. They didn’t show a single chance for Chris Wood, never mind 3 clear chances.

ashtonlongsider
Been Liked: 493 times
Has Liked: 162 times

Post by ashtonlongsider » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:59 am

I must be honest I was a little surprised when JayRod didn't start yesterday. His half time introduction last week at Villa was key to us gaining a point. I felt at the very least he should have been introduced much earlier yesterday, in a game that was heading for a 0-0, until Coleman's sending off. He also seems to have a good understanding with Chris Wood.

Colburn_Claret
Been Liked: 3060 times
Has Liked: 5023 times

Post by Colburn_Claret » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:44 am

There has to be room for all 3 to get plenty of game time.
Jay Rod gets better all the time, but Wood and Barnes should start, for now. They've developed a partnership, and I would always judge them on how many goals they score as a pair, rather than individually.
Jay offers something different, and there will be times in a game, or even certain matches where we need to try that something different.
A great problem for SD to have, let's just enjoy it.

AlargeClaret
Been Liked: 1148 times
Has Liked: 180 times

Post by AlargeClaret » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:36 am

Jay Rod is v close to a start imo , hard to break Barnes /Wood up but neither are pulling trees up at the moment JayRod is of course a better technical all round player than Wood who is limited , however he has a knack of suddenly banging em in so you can see why SD has kept the status quo. JR getting the odd late defensive 15/20 mins ain’t a great showcase for him but last 2 games he’s done well. Hopefully when DD gets in the team this creating /adding service this will bring out JR into his own

Jakubs Tash
Been Liked: 672 times
Has Liked: 244 times

Post by Jakubs Tash » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:51 am

AlargeClaret wrote:Jay Rod is v close to a start imo , hard to break Barnes /Wood up but neither are pulling trees up at the moment JayRod is of course a better technical all round player than Wood who is limited , however he has a knack of suddenly banging em in so you can see why SD has kept the status quo. JR getting the odd late defensive 15/20 mins ain’t a great showcase for him but last 2 games he’s done well. Hopefully when DD gets in the team this creating /adding service this will bring out JR into his own
Tend to agree to with most of this.

Before the Norwich game Wood must have been very close to being replaced by Rodriguez.

I like the Wood/Barnes partnership but I think we have to be careful not to freeze players out who are deserving of a chance and you would think it would be helpful that it's more common to mix your forwards up a bit than defensive players - certainly SD doesn't like to switch his defensive players much.

Burnleyareback2

Post by Burnleyareback2 » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:08 am

Rileybobs wrote:Just watched MOTD highlights of the game which appear to have shown the key events of the game. They didn’t show a single chance for Chris Wood, never mind 3 clear chances.
Really, not 1 single chance? Within seconds of the game starring on MOTD Wood doesn’t challenge Pickford and lets him catch it.

Also as a bit of advice, don’t rely on a few minutes of MOTD as a summary of an actual game.

I have other things on today and I’m worried about how worked up you have got on this. As I said last night I made it all up, Wood didn’t have my chances, well done you.
I won’t be replying so feel free to make a real killer statement about how great you and MOTD are. Be proud.

northernpowerhouse
Been Liked: 87 times
Has Liked: 5 times

Post by northernpowerhouse » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:29 am

Wood and Barnes tend to struggle against sides with big centre backs (Brighton and Everton for example). Might as well bring in Jay or Vydra for those kind of games.

taio
Been Liked: 3220 times
Has Liked: 340 times

Post by taio » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:32 am

northernpowerhouse wrote:Wood and Barnes tend to struggle against sides with big centre backs (Brighton and Everton for example). Might as well bring in Jay or Vydra for those kind of games.
You could've picked two better examples.

Foulthrow
Been Liked: 699 times
Has Liked: 1518 times

Post by Foulthrow » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:34 am

If it ain't broke don't fix it. And an early season return of 12 points suggests that it ain't broke.

MDWat
Been Liked: 872 times
Has Liked: 269 times

Post by MDWat » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:38 am

I can recall one half chance for Wood, one good chance for Barnes and one good chance for Jay Rod.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:51 pm

Jay definitely gives us greater mobility up there, which neither Barnes or Wood really have. Barnes isn't pulling up any trees at the moment but typically with Burnley fans it will be Wood who a lot of fans want replacing.

Zenwisdom
Been Liked: 7 times
Has Liked: 27 times

Post by Zenwisdom » Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:30 pm

kean had decent game he knows Barns and Wood well enough and lt showed . would have given Jay more game time Kean needed something else to think about .

HuncoatClaret
Been Liked: 203 times
Has Liked: 110 times

Post by HuncoatClaret » Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:12 pm

FactualFrank wrote:In a nutshell - some fans want to change the front two after one game. Bottom line?
You wanted Wood dropped for Vydra for the Norwich game. If you actually went to a game, you'd see how good the strikers were working together, but Jay improved the team yesterday, you won't have seen that on your dodgy stream.

claretspice
Been Liked: 2801 times
Has Liked: 138 times

Post by claretspice » Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:43 pm

In short, this is a great problem to have. Barnes and Wood have started the season very well and neither really deserves to be dropped right now, but Jay is not just knocking on the door but threatening to kick it down, and Vydra clearly showed up well enough at Brighton. They're good options to have.

Of the "main 3", the slight irony may be that the one who has the weakest all-round game is also the best foil for the other two - i.e. Wood. Barnes' goalscoring record this year probably establishes him as the number one pick, whilst Rodriguez's movement and link up play has a fluidity and smoothness that neither Wood nor Barnes can match.

But - whilst Rodriguez is mobile enough, he's not as good at stretching teams in behind as Wood, and Wood is also the best of the three at attacking the near post (as we saw against Norwich), and he's also the most comfortable running the right hand side (Barnes and Jay naturally drift leftish). Which means that a Barnes/Jay partnership looks the least convincing on paper.

For the time being, Wood and Barnes deserve their places, and you'd imagine they'll start next two games - against teams who push their full backs high and expose their centre backs a bit (and whose centre backs might be seen as their weak link in the first place). As a pair they lack a subtlety, but when they are up against defenders who can be bullied, they're a hell of a threat.

But yesterday, against two centre backs who were physically strong and fairly well protected, the case for Rodriguez' craft was strong - particularly once Everton were down to 10 and sat in a bit more. As we go through the season and find teams coming to Turf Moor to sit in, I think we'll see Rodriguez begin to start more games. Given he's shown he's still a class act at this level, once he gets in the team he'll be a hard act to shift.

Jakubs Tash

Post by Jakubs Tash » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:01 pm

claretspice wrote:But - whilst Rodriguez is mobile enough, he's not as good at stretching teams in behind as Wood
Hmmmm. Not really sure this is the case. I haven't seen Wood run in behind or run the channels very much at all this season. He doesn't really have the required pace to run in behind and this is also why he is constantly being caught offside - because he needs to get a head start on the centre half.

In my opinion, the best partnership including Rodriguez would be with Barnes.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:10 pm

Jakubs Tash wrote:Hmmmm. Not really sure this is the case. I haven't seen Wood run in behind or run the channels very much at all this season. He doesn't really have the required pace to run in behind and this is also why he is constantly being caught offside - because he needs to get a head start on the centre half.

In my opinion, the best partnership including Rodriguez would be with Barnes.
You haven’t seen Wood run the channels? It’s practically his main job when we’re in possession.

Iloveyoubrady
Been Liked: 296 times
Has Liked: 28 times

Post by Iloveyoubrady » Sun Oct 06, 2019 6:52 pm

Wood is our main goalscorer and much better than people give him credit for. Barnes is great at bullying defenders but hasn’t got the movement and mobility that Wood has getting in behind. Rodriguez is much more similar to barnes than Wood is, meaning any partnership is likely to be Wood and Barnes/Rodriguez. Vydra is also a good player and is unfortunate not to have had a run at this level, as he has pace that none of our other strikers have.

Jakubs Tash

Post by Jakubs Tash » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:20 pm

Rileybobs wrote:You haven’t seen Wood run the channels? It’s practically his main job when we’re in possession.
Not so much this season, no. And when he has, he hasn't done it very effectively.

My main problem with Chris Wood is that he should be so much more of a handful than he is. He's a gentle giant.

Anyway, I don't want this to turn into slagging off Wood. I like him. I just find him frustrating to watch much of the time.

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:13 pm

It's also worth bearing in mind that Rodriguez came on when Everton were down to ten men and a goal behind. It was always likely that he was going to get more space and opportunities at that point.

spt_claret
Been Liked: 728 times
Has Liked: 456 times

Post by spt_claret » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:00 pm

Wood has had a purple patch recently but in general is inconsistent- he's either lethal or ineffectual and spurns chances, rarely in between. Barnes by contrast may not always score but usually offers a threat and gives defenders no peace, however he's a very instinctive striker rather than especially measured. Amazing chest control but if he has too much thinking time he can mess it up. Jays probably the most measured and versatile of the three and can offer more with his link up play, running and ability to come wide or deep, but has lacked the lethal aggressive edge of Wood and Barnes so far. All three are good players all three are useful weapons to have, right now I don't see how you change a partnership that's getting results (even if one or both arent always scoring) but having the option to shuffle the pack or go with three up top is a good one. Vydra offers a different dimension again with his pace and ability to attack from deep but as of right now we tend to get results with a much higher and more in your face forward line so even if he had a lovely assist the other week you can't really stick him in.

I do tend to feel the least convinced or confident about Wood of the main trio but that's possibly just my fondness of Jay and Ash talking. Right now Jay while he definitely livened us up when he came on, didn't score his one decent chance (neither did Ash), so you can't really start him. But even if you can't it keeps the other two on their toes as they have to be on it to keep their place. And based on our results and points so far, they are.

UpTheClaretsFCBK
Been Liked: 372 times
Has Liked: 14 times

Post by UpTheClaretsFCBK » Mon Oct 07, 2019 2:47 pm

Burnleyareback2 wrote:Yeah, made it up for the laugh. I will be right behind you in the line for his greatest goals DVD at Christmas.

Watch the game back and tell me that I’m wrong.
https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/49861475" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

According to the BBC's reporting, Wood only had one shot during the game, in the 91st minute, I've matched the shot tally with the live text.

If he wasted two other chances, they can't have been shots?

KateR
Been Liked: 1018 times
Has Liked: 6157 times

Post by KateR » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:17 pm

given where we are in the table, I'm happy to keep as is, as it seems to be working as far as I can see.

Jay will get his chance to start at some point in the league but just needs to be patient, not as though he was banging in goals for fun in the previous seasons he was playing for other teams but I'm glad he is part of the team same with Vydra.

Rileybobs

Post by Rileybobs » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:36 pm

UpTheClaretsFCBK wrote:https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/49861475

According to the BBC's reporting, Wood only had one shot during the game, in the 91st minute, I've matched the shot tally with the live text.

He was making it up but won’t admit it.

dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:50 pm

UpTheClaretsFCBK wrote:https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/49861475

We've already been told that one of the chances was a cross that Pickford caught. Maybe the other was something similar?