Julie Cooper MP to stand down .... ?

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2307 times
Has Liked: 1033 times

Julie Cooper MP to stand down .... ?

Post by Clarets4me » Tue Oct 22, 2019 8:56 pm

Hearing one or two rumours over the weekend that our MP Julie Cooper is to stand down at the next election ...
Anybody know if this is true ?

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3115 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Re: Julie Cooper MP to stand down .... ?

Post by Chester Perry » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:07 pm

I suspect the word is that a lot of traditional Labour voters in town are not happy with her voting patterns on a certain topic that has dominated everything including this board in the last few years - and the feeling is they would vote against her
This user liked this post: bobinho

fidelcastro
Been Liked: 2195 times
Has Liked: 2178 times

Post by fidelcastro » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:07 pm

Clarets4me wrote:Hearing one or two rumours over the weekend that our MP Julie Cooper is to stand down at the next election ...
Anybody know if this is true ?
Not if the rumour came from pushpinpussy.

:D
This user liked this post: bob-the-scutter

BurnleyPaul
Been Liked: 158 times
Has Liked: 45 times

Post by BurnleyPaul » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:08 pm

Stand down or be forced to stand down?

I’m thinking that the latter is the more likely as the leave supporting voters in town have totally turned against her (or so it seems from social media and conversations I’ve had with Labour Party members and canvassers) and the only way to save the seat is for Labour to have a much more “leave friendly” candidate to try and prevent votes being haemorrhaged to the Brexit Party and the Conservatives.

I’m not sure that Julie Cooper not being the Labour candidate will actually do much for Labour’s chances though....

Elizabeth
Been Liked: 1250 times
Has Liked: 1367 times

Post by Elizabeth » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:11 pm

I heard this from a very significant local political figure 12 months ago so it could be true.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:13 pm

BurnleyPaul wrote:Stand down or be forced to stand down?

I’m thinking that the latter is the more likely as the leave supporting voters in town have totally turned against her (or so it seems from social media and conversations I’ve had with Labour Party members and canvassers) and the only way to save the seat is for Labour to have a much more “leave friendly” candidate to try and prevent votes being haemorrhaged to the Brexit Party and the Conservatives.

I’m not sure that Julie Cooper not being the Labour candidate will actually do much for Labour’s chances though....
Can't see the Conservatives getting close regardless.

Clarets4me

Post by Clarets4me » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:18 pm

Chester Perry wrote:I suspect the word is that a lot of traditional Labour voters in town are not happy with her voting patterns on a certain topic that has dominated everything including this board in the last few years - and the feeling is they would vote against her
So it's true, she has voted to increase the price of Twix's on match-days, and to continue adding to our " dry powder " store ? ;)
This user liked this post: Chester Perry

bobinho
Been Liked: 4070 times
Has Liked: 6537 times

Post by bobinho » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:25 pm

Chester Perry wrote:I suspect the word is that a lot of traditional Labour voters in town are not happy with her voting patterns on a certain topic that has dominated everything including this board in the last few years - and the feeling is they would vote against her
Hope you are right. She has betrayed her constituents. Well, 67(ish)% of them anyway.

Voted with the magic grandpa AGAIN tonite.

summitclaret
Been Liked: 826 times
Has Liked: 1307 times

Post by summitclaret » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:26 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-50145265" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

summitclaret
Been Liked: 826 times
Has Liked: 1307 times

Post by summitclaret » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:27 pm

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-50145265" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

She voted no to the second reading. Weird?

basil6345789
Been Liked: 481 times
Has Liked: 2289 times

Post by basil6345789 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:49 pm

They're putting up a donkey wearing a red rosette and are confident that it will win.

BurnleyPaul
Been Liked: 158 times
Has Liked: 45 times

Post by BurnleyPaul » Tue Oct 22, 2019 9:53 pm

Spijed wrote:Can't see the Conservatives getting close regardless.
In 2017 they leapfrogged the Lib Dems into 2nd place in the constituency by more than doubling their previous vote from 2015. IIRC they had a 17.5% swing in the constituency; one hell of an achievement!

UKIP has imploded so those votes are up for grabs, a lot of Brexit Party voters from the EU elections earlier this year seem to be abandoning Nigel Farage as they believe in Boris’ attempts and are willing to vote for him instead. Also bearing in mind that the Lib Dem’s will be the “pro-EU” party they’ll take a chunk of Labour’s vote from the ‘remain’ voters and split that section of the electorate.

The Conservatives will do better than you think they will it might be a lot closer than you think and there’s very likely some very nervous people in the Labour Party locally...

Chester Perry
Been Liked: 3115 times
Has Liked: 481 times

Post by Chester Perry » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:17 pm

basil6345789 wrote:They're putting up a donkey wearing a red rosette and are confident that it will win.
They have proved that more than once in this town - though it eventually cost them a seat when they imported one, who wasn't too keen on the town

nil_desperandum
Been Liked: 1823 times
Has Liked: 3948 times

Post by nil_desperandum » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:27 pm

bobinho wrote:Hope you are right. She has betrayed her constituents. Well, 67(ish)% of them anyway.

Voted with the magic grandpa AGAIN tonite.
Can't be bothered to argue this point once again, and I'm not a Burnley constituent anyway, but it's nothing like 67% of her CONSTITUENTS.
It's 67% of those who actually voted on one day in 2016.
Burnley has approx 87,000 constituents of whom approx 67,000 are on the electoral role.
Approx 29,000 voted to leave, so well under 50% of the electorate, and just over a third of the constituents.
As has been said multiple times, whoever is MP isn't a delegate for the voters, but a representative of every single constituent.

If Johnson permits the WAB to proceed, then I'm pretty sure that Cooper will vote for the compromise amendment that I suspect would have the largest support in Parliament AND in town - i.e. leave asap, but remain in the Customs Union that protects so many jobs in Burnley.
This has pretty much consistently been the Labour Party policy.
At no point has she suggested that she would support either a 2nd ref or revoking Article 50, (so far as I'm aware), so I'm not sure how she has gone against the labour manifesto or her constituents.
This user liked this post: Siddo

bobinho
Been Liked: 4070 times
Has Liked: 6537 times

Post by bobinho » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:34 pm

Thanks for not bothering to argue the point once again. I’m glad we’re not arguing.

Whilst you are not bothering, could you please let me know how many voted to remain? And how many didn’t vote?

Are you suggesting that all those who didn’t bother voting should be counted as remainers? Or leavers? Or what DO we do with them?

Cheers
These 3 users liked this post: Damo ClaretMoffitt burnleymik

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:37 pm

The current MP for Burnley voted against the current PMs deal because it didn't protect workers rights and jobs. Fact, as anyone can find out for themselves if they e mail this MP.
The previous PMs deal did protect these rights. The same Burnley MP still voted against that deal
I am awaiting her reply hoping for an explanation that will make me change my mind which currently believes that her voting actions demonstrate that she is playing party political games . Similar to many other Labour MPs.
Also waiting for her voting intentions for if and when a Second referendum vote is called on amendment. After claiming last time that under no circumstances would she ever vote for a Second referendum she chickened out by abstaining.
I think the Burnley constituents who voted leave ( 66%) have still to suffer the ultimate betrayal from this MP.

taio
Been Liked: 3220 times
Has Liked: 340 times

Post by taio » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:40 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:Can't be bothered to argue this point once again, and I'm not a Burnley constituent anyway, but it's nothing like 67% of her CONSTITUENTS.
Burnley has approx 87,000 constituents of whom approx 67,000 are on the electoral role.
Approx 29,000 voted to leave, so well under 50% of the electorate, and just over a third of the constituents.
As has been said multiple times, whoever is MP isn't a delegate for the voters, but a representative of every single constituent.
Bottom line is she isn't representing what her constituency voted for in the referendum. From a wider point of view I can't think of anything positive she's done for the town either. Hopefully her days are numbered because she's been a useless MP.

nil_desperandum

Post by nil_desperandum » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:40 pm

bobinho wrote:Thanks for not bothering to argue the point once again. I’m glad we’re not arguing.

Whilst you are not bothering, could you please let me know how many voted to remain? And how many didn’t vote?

Are you suggesting that all those who didn’t bother voting should be counted as remainers? Or leavers? Or what DO we do with them?

Cheers
Which has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that the MP is not a delegate for the "winning side" but represents the town an its CONSTITUENTS in the way they believe to be in its best interests. If constituents disagree in sufficient numbers then they'll vote accordingly next time there's an election.
This user liked this post: Siddo

Clarets4me

Post by Clarets4me » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:41 pm

Whilst I appreciate Brexit is the issue of the day, this is not the main point of this thread. I don't want the mods to " merge " it in with the already vast Brexit thread, where it would just be engulfed by comments from posters reiterating their own positions endlessly ....
This user liked this post: nil_desperandum

nil_desperandum

Post by nil_desperandum » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:42 pm

Elizabeth wrote:The current MP for Burnley voted against the current PMs deal because it didn't protect workers rights and jobs. Fact, as anyone can find out for themselves if they e mail this MP.
The previous PMs deal did protect these rights. The same Burnley MP still voted against that deal
I am awaiting her reply hoping for an explanation that will make me change my mind which currently believes that her voting actions demonstrate that she is playing party political games . Similar to many other Labour MPs.
Also waiting for her voting intentions for if and when a Second referendum vote is called on amendment. After claiming last time that under no circumstances would she ever vote for a Second referendum she chickened out by abstaining.
I think the Burnley constituents who voted leave ( 66%) have still to suffer the ultimate betrayal from this MP.
Did either deal keep us in the CU?
She'll probably get chance to vote for this in the near future, and whilst I know nothing of her personally, I'm willing to bet that she will vote for it.

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:54 pm

The Burnley MPs parliamentary Brexit vote is quite frankly unimportant in the grand scheme of things because she has clearly demonstrated that she is a puppet .
It's going to be the votes of other Labour MPs who have shown they are really struggling with balancing their constituencies wishes with their party's confused stance

randomclaret2
Been Liked: 2742 times
Has Liked: 4314 times

Post by randomclaret2 » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:00 pm

Unfortunately for those tying themselves in knots over what percentage of the electorate voted and how many are on the electoral " role ", 100% of those on said roll will get to give their verdict on Ms Cooper's behaviour.

nil_desperandum

Post by nil_desperandum » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:09 pm

randomclaret2 wrote:Unfortunately for those tying themselves in knots over what percentage of the electorate voted and how many are on the electoral " role ", 100% of those on said roll will get to give their verdict on Ms Cooper's behaviour.
Yes, but just to be consistent and pedantic the electoral roll is to a large extent representative of the constituents but there are significant number of mature constituents who don't get to vote, and whoever gets elected has a duty to represent them as well.
Theoretically the voice of a Syrian refugee, and a 17 year old should be considered as important as that of a party member even though they are not entitled to vote.

Clarets4me

Post by Clarets4me » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:18 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:Can't be bothered to argue this point once again, and I'm not a Burnley constituent anyway, but it's nothing like 67% of her CONSTITUENTS.

If Johnson permits the WAB to proceed, then I'm pretty sure that Cooper will vote for the compromise amendment that I suspect would have the largest support in Parliament AND in town - i.e. leave asap, but remain in the Customs Union that protects so many jobs in Burnley.
At no point has she suggested that she would support either a 2nd ref or revoking Article 50, (so far as I'm aware), so I'm not sure how she has gone against the labour manifesto or her constituents.
I'll just present the facts for all ....

Out of an Burnley electorate of 64,363 who were eligible to vote, 28,854 voted to Leave, 14,462 voted to remain and 21,047 registered voters did not exercise their franchise. Leave scored 66.61% against 33.39% of those that turned out to vote ....

Remain argument : Less than 45% of the Burnley electorate voted to exit the EU, which is a very low basis on which to leave the European Union, which has provided us with peace and security, and valuable economic assistance over the past four decades ....

Leave argument : Over 77% of the Burnley electorate failed to endorse the United Kingdom's continued membership of the European Union, a damning verdict on a failing, wasteful and un-democratic project, to which we have been subsidizing for far too long ....

Both arguments contain accurate figures, but " you pays your money, and you take your choice " ..

RingoMcCartney
Been Liked: 2636 times
Has Liked: 2798 times

Post by RingoMcCartney » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:47 pm

nil_desperandum wrote:Which has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that the MP is not a delegate for the "winning side" but represents the town an its CONSTITUENTS in the way they believe to be in its best interests. If constituents disagree in sufficient numbers then they'll vote accordingly next time there's an election.
She was elected on a labour party manifesto as she stood as a labour MP. The labour party manifesto contained a pledge to."respect the referendum result "

At every opportunity she has consistently voted to hinder , slow down or prolong the UKs exit for the EU.

If she wanted to act "in the way she believes to be in it's best interests of her constituents " . Then she shouldn't have stood on a labour ticket. She should have stood as an independent prospective candidate who believes the uk should remain in the EU.

If you think once MPs get to parliament, they should be free to act "in the way they believe to be in it's best interests of their constituents " . What is the point of a manifesto?

If you believe that, as representatives, MPs should be free to act "in the way they believe to be in it's best interests of their constituents " How would you feel if the majority decided not to hold an election for say 20 25 years. Or, decided to take the UK out of the European union without a referendum?
This user liked this post: bobinho

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:50 pm

29000 voted LEAVE in the 2016 referendum.

18800 voted for Julie Cooper in the 2017 General election.

martin_p
Been Liked: 3764 times
Has Liked: 696 times

Post by martin_p » Tue Oct 22, 2019 11:52 pm

RingoMcCartney wrote:She was elected on a labour party manifesto as she stood as a labour MP. The labour party manifesto contained a pledge to."respect the referendum result "
We’ve been over what was in the Labour manifesto time and time again re Brexit. Cooper has voted in a way entirely consistent with the manifesto she was elected on. But still you continue to pedal lies (you’re on a real run on that score).
These 2 users liked this post: nil_desperandum Siddo

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:19 am

martin_p wrote:We’ve been over what was in the Labour manifesto time and time again re Brexit. Cooper has voted in a way entirely consistent with the manifesto she was elected on. But still you continue to pedal lies (you’re on a real run on that score).
I see nil_desperandum has "liked" your comment. So he's read my post but , doesn't have the courage of his convictions to counter the facts.

So nil desperandum

Talk about the percentages now.

1 If you think once MPs get to parliament, they should be free to act "in the way they believe to be in it's best interests of their constituents " . What is the point of a manifesto?

2 If you believe that, as representatives, MPs should be free to act "in the way they believe to be in it's best interests of their constituents " How would you feel if the majority decided not to hold an election for say 20 25 years. Or, decided to take the UK out of the European union without a referendum?

Stop hiding behind Marty!

mikeS
Been Liked: 650 times
Has Liked: 25 times

Post by mikeS » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:10 am

At the 2015 election, Julie Cooper took the seat from Gordon Birtwistle with a Majority of 3,500. In 2017 her majority went up to over 6,000.

It’ll be a close result next time I would think. Gordon Birtwistle is standing again. Charles Briggs, leader of the Council is standing for the Burnley Independent Party - a group who broke away from the Lib Dem’s last year to form their own party. I think it will be won by one of these three.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:15 am

I think Stewart Scott of the Brexit Party has a chance.
This user liked this post: Quickenthetempo

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3841 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:30 am

I posted a couple of weeks ago that I had been told she wouldn't contest again. That Labour are putting an Asian candidate up to try and strengthen the asian vote. Good tactics in my view.

The Bexit party will get in if looks like brexit is stalling.

I luv my wife
Been Liked: 23 times
Has Liked: 4 times

Post by I luv my wife » Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:57 am

I thought the Burnley Independent party was only interested in local people with local issues anyway let's see the manifesto for the group as a group of ex lib dems I would imagine it would be closely aligned

mikeS
Been Liked: 650 times
Has Liked: 25 times

Post by mikeS » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:23 am

Cannot find anything on Julie Coopers Twitter feed to suggest she is standing down at the next election.

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5002 times
Has Liked: 6716 times

Post by bfcjg » Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:52 am

Will Corbyn insist it is one of his acolytes who stands ? If so watch labour lose to the lib dems again.
This user liked this post: Burnley Ace

COBBLE
Been Liked: 349 times
Has Liked: 466 times

Post by COBBLE » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:02 am

[quote="Quickenthetempo"]I posted a couple of weeks ago that I had been told she wouldn't contest again. That Labour are putting an Asian candidate up to try and strengthen the asian vote. Good tactics in my view.

I don't know if Sobia Malik is still a contester but she would have ticked the boxes.

charlyt
Been Liked: 70 times
Has Liked: 68 times

Post by charlyt » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:24 am

I had a letter from her regarding her next election leaflet.
So a few days ago at least she was going for re-election it seems.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:32 am

Quickenthetempo wrote:I posted a couple of weeks ago that I had been told she wouldn't contest again. That Labour are putting an Asian candidate up to try and strengthen the asian vote. Good tactics in my view.

The Bexit party will get in if looks like brexit is stalling.
Stewart Scott, prospective Burnley candidate for the Brexit party is a life long Claret , a personal friend of Clarets legend Ashley "that goal" Hoskins, and he's home and away.

What's not to like!?
This user liked this post: basil6345789

elwaclaret
Been Liked: 1986 times
Has Liked: 2875 times

Post by elwaclaret » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:33 am

If Labour chose a strong old labour candidate, pro nationalisation and outside Europe they could walk away with Burnley. However, that would of course go against the Labour party line.

RingoMcCartney

Post by RingoMcCartney » Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:51 am

nil_desperandum wrote:Which has absolutely nothing to do with the fact that the MP is not a delegate for the "winning side" but represents the town an its CONSTITUENTS in the way they believe to be in its best interests. If constituents disagree in sufficient numbers then they'll vote accordingly next time there's an election.

So nil desperandum

Talk about the percentages now.

1 If you think once MPs get to parliament, they should be free to act "in the way they believe to be in it's best interests of their constituents " . What is the point of a manifesto?

2 If you believe that, as representatives, MPs should be free to act "in the way they believe to be in it's best interests of their constituents " How would you feel if the majority decided not to hold an election for say 20 25 years. Or, decided to take the UK out of the European union without a referendum?

Come on nil_desperandum, cat got yer tongue? Dont be shy!

Elizabeth

Post by Elizabeth » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:37 pm

Just had a detailed look at the last GE vote in Burnley.
What took my eye was that I didn't realise the Conservative vote was that high, enough to put them in second place. Or that the Lib Dem vote had fallen so badly in 2 years.
A Labour majority of over 6000 is a big majority and it will take a very big swing to remove that party from their seat in Westminster representing Burnley. I think it might happen.
Would it be realistic to expect the Lib Dem vote to drop dramatically again because of their ' Revoke' position ? Considering that almost 7 in 10 people in Burnley voted to leave I think it is.
Labour risk getting hammered because of their Brexit position and their patently obvious party politics playing which wont fool the electorate of Burnley. Not to mention the public's dislike of Corbyn and their internal in fighting and anti semitism issues. I dont think there will be a surge of young voters large enough to save them.
I never thought I'd believe that I could see a Conservative Burnley MP in the near future. Boris Johnson's deal and his undoubted support for Brexit will get the Conservatives close.
I believe the main opposition will come from the Brexit Party and would not bet against them coming 1-2.

Lowbankclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 56 times

Post by Lowbankclaret » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:39 pm

[quote="nil_desperandum"]Can't be bothered to argue this point once again, and I'm not a Burnley constituent anyway, but it's nothing like 67% of her CONSTITUENTS.

If you check the turn out at the last 3 GE,s the turnout in Burnley is average is around the 40,000, give or take a few hundred. If it’s correct 29,000 voted for leave that’s a very strong position for a leave party to be in.
I think 17-18 thousand will get you the Burnley seat.

Lowbankclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 56 times

Post by Lowbankclaret » Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:46 pm

2010 election result

Candidate​Party​Votes​Vote (%)​Change (%)
Birtwistle, Gordon​LD​14,932. ​35.7​ 12.0
Cooper, Julie​Lab​13,114. ​31.3​ -7.1
Ali, Richard​Con​6,950​ 16.6​ 5.8
Wilkinson, Sharon​BNP​3,747​9.0​9.0
Brown, Andrew *​Ind​1,876​4.5​4.5
Rawsthorn, Richard *​UKIP​929​2.2​1.3
Hennessey, Andrew *​Ind​297​0.7​0.7

2015 election result

Julie Cooper​Lab​14,951​ 37.6​ 6.3
Gordon Birtwistle​LD​11,707​ 29.5​ -6.2
Tom Commis​UKIP​6,864. ​17.3​ 15.0
Sarah Cockburn-Price​Con​5,374​13.5​-3.1
Mike Hargreaves *​Green​850​2.1​2.1

2017 election result

Candidate​Party​Votes​Vote (%)​Change (%)
Julie Cooper​Lab​18,832​ 46.7​ 9.1
Paul White​Con​12,479​ 31.0​ 17.5
Gordon Birtwistle​LD​6,046​ 15.0​ -14.4
Tom Commis​UKIP​2,472​6.1​-11.1
Laura Fisk *​Green​461​1.1​-1.0

Total votes
2010. - 41,845
2015. - 39,746
2017. - 40,290

Labour lowest vote. 13,114
Con lowest vote. 5,374
Lib Dem lowest vote. 6,046
Total 24,534

Those figures kinda tell me anyone could win it as there are enough voters who are prepared to change parties.

claretsintown
Been Liked: 17 times
Has Liked: 4 times

Post by claretsintown » Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:38 pm

The Labour Party the great betrayal of the Northern working class
These 2 users liked this post: basil6345789 Woodleyclaret

Clarets4me

Post by Clarets4me » Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:42 pm

I luv my wife wrote:I thought the Burnley Independent party was only interested in local people with local issues anyway let's see the manifesto for the group as a group of ex lib dems I would imagine it would be closely aligned
With the obvious exception of the fact that BPIP Councillors seem very pro-Brexit, from what I can tell.

We had an excellent Lib Dem Councillor but he retired after 2 terms last May. The old boy could often be seen in the ward, usually accompanied by a blonde lady ( his carer, I think ? ) and did a lot of good work especially upgrading the facilities at Calder Park. I hope he's enjoying his retirement.

Imploding Turtle
Been Liked: 5483 times
Has Liked: 2540 times

Post by Imploding Turtle » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:48 pm

Hmmm...

Quickenthetempo
Been Liked: 3841 times
Has Liked: 2065 times

Post by Quickenthetempo » Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:52 pm

Rumours were wrong.

COBBLE
Been Liked: 349 times
Has Liked: 466 times

Post by COBBLE » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:13 pm

basil6345789 wrote:They're putting up a donkey wearing a red rosette and are confident that it will win.
On a related note. I was once told by a then senior executive of BFC that if Burnley dyed a flock of sheep claret and blue and grazed them on Turf Moor, several thousand people would turn up to watch.
This user liked this post: basil6345789

Stayingup
Been Liked: 914 times
Has Liked: 2726 times

Post by Stayingup » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:10 pm

elwaclaret wrote:If Labour chose a strong old labour candidate, pro nationalisation and outside Europe they could walk away with Burnley. However, that would of course go against the Labour party line.
Would agree with that until you consider the dim anti British pro Russian and Terrorist aympathiser who leads the party. Plus the fact that Labour is now pro Corporate
BIG business who already hold monopolies and thanks to the EU are easily able to keep out competitors.

Regarding the subject of this topic. Julie Cooper is a very decent and honest MP who probably cant stick Corbyn.

AndrewJB
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by AndrewJB » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:52 pm

Clarets4me wrote:I'll just present the facts for all ....

Out of an Burnley electorate of 64,363 who were eligible to vote, 28,854 voted to Leave, 14,462 voted to remain and 21,047 registered voters did not exercise their franchise. Leave scored 66.61% against 33.39% of those that turned out to vote ....

Remain argument : Less than 45% of the Burnley electorate voted to exit the EU, which is a very low basis on which to leave the European Union, which has provided us with peace and security, and valuable economic assistance over the past four decades ....

Leave argument : Over 77% of the Burnley electorate failed to endorse the United Kingdom's continued membership of the European Union, a damning verdict on a failing, wasteful and un-democratic project, to which we have been subsidizing for far too long ....

Both arguments contain accurate figures, but " you pays your money, and you take your choice " ..
According to rules this government imposed on unions, a decision has to have a majority of all the members - not just the votes cast. Therefore those who don’t vote count toward the status quo. What’s good for the goose...

Stayingup
Been Liked: 914 times
Has Liked: 2726 times

Post by Stayingup » Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:05 pm

AndrewJB wrote:According to rules this government imposed on unions, a decision has to have a majority of all the members - not just the votes cast. Therefore those who don’t vote count toward the status quo. What’s good for the goose...
Why do you think what you have said is relevant to the referendum? There is no relevance as we all knew the rules of the referendum.
Last edited by Stayingup on Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.