Scam Alert

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Darnhill Claret
Been Liked: 498 times
Has Liked: 992 times

Scam Alert

Post by Darnhill Claret » Thu Oct 24, 2019 1:01 pm

Just had a call from an 040 number and an automated message saying that someone has tried to use my card for a £600 transaction. To stop the transaction press 1. Pressed one and a female operative asked me to confirm that I wanted to stop the transaction. As she had not asked who she was talking to or any card details I asked for the last four digits of the card. She hung up.

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2307 times
Has Liked: 1033 times

Re: Scam Alert

Post by Clarets4me » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:33 pm

Also, two more ....

1) Calls purporting from BT asking for account details. My 83 year old Mum was nearly caught a few weeks ago, it was only NatWest's security systems that prevented £4,900 from being debited from her account. Natwest sent an automated call to her home phone but couldn't speak to her, as she was still on the phone to the b*****ds, so it declined.

2) Emails saying your TV License is due to expire today, as your D/D is due to expire/has expired .... this one is fairly amateurish, to be fair ...

RalphCoatesComb
Been Liked: 2415 times
Has Liked: 2115 times

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:39 pm

Darnhill Claret wrote:Just had a call from an 040 number and an automated message saying that someone has tried to use my card for a £600 transaction. To stop the transaction press 1.
Very typical and so scary. Millions of pounds is being scammed from people every day.

Answer no one unless you know the number. If someone slips through this first net, bag 'em off quickly. Look after your vulnerable family members and friends (unfortunately, some folk do believe they've won the Nigerian Lottery when someone on the phone tells them so).

Some of these scams are very sophisticated and clever. Be alert!

LeadBelly
Been Liked: 998 times
Has Liked: 2044 times

Post by LeadBelly » Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:52 pm

I've had this 3/4 times in the last couple of weeks.
First time it happened I thought it was a scam because: recorded message (English female voice) rather than a person; whilst they said Mastercard (I guess majority will have one), they said "your bank" rather than naming a bank; they never used my name. I did check online my card activity though just in case.
Since then I've had the same - all from different (not hidden) UK numbers (last one was a Swindon I noticed from the area code); they all said exactly £600 too.
I never pressed the "1" but suspect there's some sort of rip-off phone charge + they try and get your actual card details.
This user liked this post: cockneyclaret

standishclarets
Been Liked: 26 times

Post by standishclarets » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:11 pm

We don't bother answering any more either our home phone or our mobiles if we don't recognise the number or name. If it is genuine or urgent, there is an opportunity to leave a message. No message - then obviously not important.
We still get one or two ringing but overall its gone relatively quiet. Can recommend it.
(The best so far was what we thought might be a message, but it was a female voice saying ,,,'so you won't be going out with him again', before they ended the call. ;)
These 2 users liked this post: Tricky Trevor cockneyclaret

Devils_Advocate
Been Liked: 5202 times
Has Liked: 920 times

Post by Devils_Advocate » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:14 pm

I had someone following me around asking for my details and money cos I chucked a Mars bar wrapper on the floor. Don't worry I didn't fall for it and reported him to the police.

The police have asked me to come down to the station and make an official statement as evidence so looks like they are taking it seriously

Woonderbah
Been Liked: 323 times
Has Liked: 363 times

Post by Woonderbah » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:29 pm

Devils_Advocate wrote:I had someone following me around asking for my details and money cos I chucked a Mars bar wrapper on the floor. Don't worry I didn't fall for it and reported him to the police.

The police have asked me to come down to the station and make an official statement as evidence so looks like they are taking it seriously
Very public spirited of you to go to the station to confess to littering.
Maybe putting the wrapper in a bin in the first case would've saved the need to confess ?

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2814 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:35 pm

DA has caught one again.
This user liked this post: Siddo

bfcjg
Been Liked: 5002 times
Has Liked: 6715 times

Post by bfcjg » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:44 pm

I wish some of you lot would press one and give account details I'm saving up for a Twix.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:49 pm

If I don't recognise the number or STD code, I won't answer. If it's important, they'll leave a voice message.

Also, when you do let it ring out, go straight to Google and type in / copy & paste the number.
Often, you'll see it reported and comments made about what happened when they answered.

I then block that number on my phone.

Hroogar
Been Liked: 38 times
Has Liked: 31 times

Post by Hroogar » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:17 pm

Thanks for all the information utc, good to know as I inform older folks what to watch out for.. who knows may save them losing life savings.

Erasmus
Been Liked: 574 times
Has Liked: 44 times

Post by Erasmus » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:27 pm

I know it is perverse, but I often press one and then try to reason with the operator about the morality of living by lying and cheating people, and how destructive this is to their humanity. I think there is a vicar in me trying to get out. Usually they just hang up, one swore at me, but two or three have admitted that they hate doing it but have been forced into it through financial problems.
This user liked this post: cbx750

mkmel
Been Liked: 1270 times
Has Liked: 2234 times

Post by mkmel » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:29 pm

I do and recommend the same as Factual Frank as I never answer the call and simply type in the number on Google and see what others are saying about this number
This user liked this post: FactualFrank

cbx750
Been Liked: 258 times
Has Liked: 372 times

Post by cbx750 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:33 pm

I've had a few supposedly from BT saying my internet security has been compromised but the last one said I had won second prize in the Canadian lottery. I like to try and wind them up but most are recorded messages and l 'm not pressing 1.

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2439 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:33 pm

We were advised by Vodafone not to answer an unknown number. If you pick up they will call again. Ignore it and eventually they leave you alone.

conyoviejo
Been Liked: 2491 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Post by conyoviejo » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:37 pm

cbx750 wrote:I've had a few supposedly from BT saying my internet security has been compromised but the last one said I had won second prize in the Canadian lottery. I like to try and wind them up but most are recorded messages and l 'm not pressing 1.
What happens if you press 1 ? Anybody know?

cbx750
Been Liked: 258 times
Has Liked: 372 times

Post by cbx750 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:40 pm

conyoviejo wrote:What happens if you press 1 ? Anybody know?
I don't know, that's why I don't press it. :D

basil6345789
Been Liked: 481 times
Has Liked: 2289 times

Post by basil6345789 » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:40 pm

Where did all this gross dishonesty originate - Globalisation or just The EU?

conyoviejo
Been Liked: 2491 times
Has Liked: 1477 times

Post by conyoviejo » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:41 pm

cbx750 wrote:I don't know, that's why I don't press it. :D
Well press it next time and let us know.. :lol:
This user liked this post: cbx750

dougcollins
Been Liked: 1778 times
Has Liked: 1773 times

Post by dougcollins » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:46 pm

So I haven't won the Ugandan lottery then?

PhilC
Been Liked: 40 times
Has Liked: 26 times

Post by PhilC » Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:58 pm

There are a few apps you can install on your smartphone that can detect nuisance numbers and will auto block them. I use Hiya, but there are others. Won't help ringing home numbers but does help mobiles (PPI, Accident, Data Breach law case, etc...).

As for the scams I completely detest the people that perform this kind of fraud, would love to see the relevant authorities (India mainly, but some west African countries as well) clamp down, but as of yet they still do nothing despite having the evidence of fraud activity.

Also, there are a few very dangerous email scams doing the rounds that installs ransomware and encrypts your data (photos etc....) on your PC/Laptop. They are called Emotet and Ryuk ransomware and they get installed by clicking web links in emails you think are genuine. These ransomware virus' are crippling some companies and it's only a matter of time until they hit personal machines.

Paul Waine
Been Liked: 2344 times
Has Liked: 3164 times

Post by Paul Waine » Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:01 pm

I got call from an 0800 number on Tuesday this week - my phone was on silent so I didn't see the missed call until later. The same number called again on Wed - I missed it again. Thursday lunch time, I got another call, same number, this time I was there to answer. The male voice said he was from my insurance company and my renewal was due - which it is. I replied OK.... and, then he said "I need to take you through security." My response was "you've called me. Can I take you through my security. Alternatively, I'll leave it until I get home and can check your number against my renewal notice...." The guy was fine. He provided the information I needed to know I was speaking to my insurance company. Renewal sorted, but you can't be too careful.

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:06 pm

Paul Waine wrote:The male voice said he was from my insurance company and my renewal was due - which it is. I replied OK.... and, then he said "I need to take you through security." My response was "you've called me. Can I take you through my security. Alternatively, I'll leave it until I get home and can check your number against my renewal notice...." The guy was fine. He provided the information I needed to know I was speaking to my insurance company. Renewal sorted, but you can't be too careful.
You get that a lot, even if it's genuine like in your case.

Calling you up and then asking you to prove who you are is nothing short of them being extremely dumb. I've replied with the same as you - "You called me?" - so after refusing to give any details they asked me to call the company when I'm free.
This user liked this post: Paul Waine

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Sat Oct 26, 2019 2:19 am

RalphCoatesComb wrote:Very typical and so scary. Millions of pounds is being scammed from people every day.

Answer no one unless you know the number. If someone slips through this first net, bag 'em off quickly. Look after your vulnerable family members and friends (unfortunately, some folk do believe they've won the Nigerian Lottery when someone on the phone tells them so).

Some of these scams are very sophisticated and clever. Be alert!
True, you have to be so careful & try to get everything going out DD, I know cyber crime is on the increase as well & it’s good advice to just answer recognised numbers, if it’s important they’ll leave a voicemail or text if it’s a mobile. You have to be vigilant as the scammers are forever devising more ingenious ways to dupe you, you can effectively minimise the likelihood with some simple practical measures.
This user liked this post: RalphCoatesComb

cockneyclaret
Been Liked: 277 times
Has Liked: 3288 times

Post by cockneyclaret » Sat Oct 26, 2019 3:52 am

Tricky Trevor wrote:We were advised by Vodafone not to answer an unknown number. If you pick up they will call again. Ignore it and eventually they leave you alone.
That's correct, I have random calls from a few numbers, since I stopped answering them they've dried up.

RalphCoatesComb
Been Liked: 2415 times
Has Liked: 2115 times

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:18 am

cockneyclaret wrote:Since I stopped answering them they've dried up.
I check the numbers on-line. There is a mine of useful info out there on numbers used by scammers. Problem is I have dozens of numbers logged in my mobile as "Knob" and "Scam" :lol:

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Sat Oct 26, 2019 9:47 am

Tricky Trevor wrote:We were advised by Vodafone not to answer an unknown number. If you pick up they will call again. Ignore it and eventually they leave you alone.
The more modern smartphones on the market now offer the option to block suspicious numbers so with the same number ringing it shouldn't be a repeat issue if you've got 1, I know the more elderly which are prime targets for this use doros ect, I'm not sure if it's a feature built into them phones. Maybe another poster might know.

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2439 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Sat Oct 26, 2019 1:05 pm

Jakubclaret wrote:The more modern smartphones on the market now offer the option to block suspicious numbers so with the same number ringing it shouldn't be a repeat issue if you've got 1, I know the more elderly which are prime targets for this use doros ect, I'm not sure if it's a feature built into them phones. Maybe another poster might know.
Unfortunately not available in RoI. I had called them to ask for call block.
The other problem being they’ll just use a new number.