Congratulations John McGreal

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
turfytopper
Been Liked: 409 times
Has Liked: 3421 times

Congratulations John McGreal

Post by turfytopper » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:14 am

Last night I made the short journey to watch Crawley Town v Colchester United in the last 16 of the EFL Cup.

It was an all league two affair and I was hoping to see Crawley progress.

Colchester came from behind to win the game convincingly 3 -1 and progress to a quarter final. Colchester are managed by former Claret John McGreal who along with Michael Duff and Joey Barton are all seemingly doing fantastically well as managers.

For the younger poster, John joined us in 2004, was an experienced centre half, played over 100 games for us and was a firm favourite and polished performer.

His Colchester team, a mix of youth and experience, played really attractive football, with marauding young full backs really taking the game on. Look out for their 21 year old left back Cohen Bramall, a player released by Arsenal
These 3 users liked this post: dpinsussex ecc Buxtonclaret

ClaretTony
Been Liked: 32393 times
Has Liked: 5272 times

Re: Congratulations John McGreal

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:14 am

Colchester have something of a reputation for changing managers on a regular basis so in some ways it is surprising to see Johnny Mac still there after almost three and a half years. Terrific player for us for a couple of years.
These 2 users liked this post: turfytopper boatshed bill

jollyjack
Been Liked: 107 times
Has Liked: 20 times

Post by jollyjack » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:19 am

Future Ipswich Manager? Legend there for years before coming to us.
This user liked this post: turfytopper

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2540 times
Has Liked: 766 times

Post by ksrclaret » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:28 am

I make it six managers in League's 1 and 2 with Claret connections. John McGreal, Joey Barton, Michael Duff, Michael Jolley, Graham Alexander and Dino Maamria.

As for John McGreal specifically though, he was the player I wanted to be in the school yard when I was a young claret growing up and wanting to be a centre half. He was coolness and calmness personified back then, with such class and composure for a defender. I enjoyed watching him, but his age and injuries meant we never saw the very best of him. As noted above, Ipswich Town were the beneficiaries of his best days.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:33 am

ksrclaret wrote:I make it six managers in League's 1 and 2 with Claret connections. John McGreal, Joey Barton, Michael Duff, Michael Jolley, Graham Alexander and Dino Maamria.

As for John McGreal specifically though, he was the player I wanted to be in the school yard when I was a young claret growing up and wanting to be a centre half. He was coolness and calmness personified back then, with such class and composure for a defender. I enjoyed watching him, but his age and injuries meant we never saw the very best of him. As noted above, Ipswich Town were the beneficiaries of his best days.
Make it eight - Graham Couglan is manager of Bristol Rovers and Micky Mellon is at Tranmere.

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:38 am

ksrclaret wrote:I make it six managers in League's 1 and 2 with Claret connections. John McGreal, Joey Barton, Michael Duff, Michael Jolley, Graham Alexander and Dino Maamria.

Dino Maamria? Good memory mate - I had to look him up as I didn't remember him at all. Turns out he never played a first team game did he because of a broken leg. Didn't know we'd ever had a Tunisian.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:39 am

houseboy wrote:Dino Maamria? Good memory mate - I had to look him up as I didn't remember him at all. Turns out he never played a first team game did he because of a broken leg. Didn't know we'd ever had a Tunisian.
He never played for Burnley. He worked as a coach in the community scheme and maybe did some coaching at youth level for the club.

ecc
Been Liked: 1407 times
Has Liked: 1278 times

Post by ecc » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:49 am

Great to see JM do well. It was a pity we didn't have him at TM for longer but we were lucky enough to have him at all.

He would have been a "SD player" without any doubt; class act on and off the pitch.

i wish him all the best for the future.

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:56 am

ClaretTony wrote:He never played for Burnley. He worked as a coach in the community scheme and maybe did some coaching at youth level for the club.
In his Wikipedia entry (yes I was so ignorant of him) it says this:

He started his English career with Burnley in 1996. While playing for AS Marsa in an away match against Étoile Sportive du Sahel, a tourist resort in the north of Tunisia, he was watched by Burnley's chief scout at the time, Brian Miller, who happened to be on holiday. Miller offered Maamria a two-week trial at Burnley. After scoring in a reserve match against Bradford City, he earned a short-term contract at Burnley, although he failed to make a first-team appearance for the club after he suffered a broken leg. After being released by Burnley towards the latter stages of 1996, Maamria signed for Glentoran of the IFA Premiership. Burnley caretaker manager Clive Middlemass had recommended Maamria to Glentoran manager Tommy Cassidy, with the player spending the remainder of the 1996–97 campaign with the club.

Did he go on to the coaching staff after this?

BOYSIE31
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 1112 times

Post by BOYSIE31 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:00 pm

Cracking centre half

Im_not_Robbie_Blake
Been Liked: 383 times
Has Liked: 234 times

Post by Im_not_Robbie_Blake » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:03 pm

McGreal had a great CB partnership with Gary Cahill, who must have learnt a lot from him.
These 3 users liked this post: IanMcL turfytopper Wembley09

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:11 pm

Good to see so many ex players doing well in a managerial capacity. I’m sure there is a future manager for us in there. McGreal was superb for us and I can’t imagine many fans thinking otherwise.

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2327 times
Has Liked: 1401 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:25 pm

It was cotterills first season and he inherited a shambles of a defence ( what was left of it) . To go and get him on a free was great business and although we didn't score many, I'm convinced he was one of the main reasons for staying up as he shored up that defence no end.

Fez
Been Liked: 57 times
Has Liked: 131 times

Post by Fez » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:44 pm

I loved John Mcgreal at burnley, no nonsense all or nothing player

Spike
Been Liked: 597 times
Has Liked: 1237 times

Post by Spike » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:51 pm

Bumped in to him in a pub in Ipswich he was out with some of the Ipswich players. He took time out to talk all things Claret with us. A fine player and from that meeting an absolute Gent.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6361 times
Has Liked: 8704 times

Post by IanMcL » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:14 pm

Signing John McGreal enabled Steve Cotterill to sign enough others for a team!

Playing alongside John McGreal dramatically improved a young Gary Cahill.

I was privileged to present John Mac with his PFA player of the month award, on the pitch at Turf Moor. I have the picture!

ashtonlongsider
Been Liked: 494 times
Has Liked: 162 times

Post by ashtonlongsider » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:17 pm

Cotts certainly had an eye for a player and he got us a gem in McGreal.

Longside4evr
Been Liked: 519 times
Has Liked: 266 times

Post by Longside4evr » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:21 pm

Thats our young left back and right back sorted then Cassy from Leeds and Cohen Bramall from Colchester get them here

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:28 pm

McGreal and Sinclair was a very decent and experienced centre back pairing. Very different players but combined well. I remember John McGreal as a really classy centre back who could pass the ball well and his great positioning meant that he was rarely caught out for speed. Frank Sinclair was more the tough tackling...sometimes a bit wreckless centre half - but again he was a good player.

Both players came across as good for the dressing room and very loyal fans favourites at all the clubs they played for.

We had a very poor defence when SC took over the club and it was a matter of time before we got relegated with the goals we were shipping...he did very well to steady the ship and McGreal and Sinclair were the 2 most important signings which helped do this.

Fretters
Been Liked: 1045 times
Has Liked: 549 times

Post by Fretters » Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:59 pm

Genius signing by SC. We only got him I think because we offered him a longer deal than Ipswich did, but it was an inspired signing. That transfer window of McGreal, Sinclair, Duff, Hyde and Coyne (on paper a fantastic signing) was impressive.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6361 times
Has Liked: 8704 times

Post by IanMcL » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:36 pm

Fretters wrote:Genius signing by SC. We only got him I think because we offered him a longer deal than Ipswich did, but it was an inspired signing. That transfer window of McGreal, Sinclair, Duff, Hyde and Coyne (on paper a fantastic signing) was impressive.
As I remember it (so probably incorrect!), he kept asking about a new contract at Ipswich and was told, "We'll sort it at the end of the season".

Nothing happened and the manager went on holiday.
It was close to the end of the contract, so he decided he needed to protect his families security and took the offer on the table.

Very good timing from Steve Cotterill.
These 2 users liked this post: turfytopper Fretters

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:40 pm

TVC15 wrote:McGreal and Sinclair was a very decent and experienced centre back pairing
And we can add Cahill to that - I suspect they were a bit better than the three central defenders from the previous season - Gnohere, May & Branch.

The McGreal and Sinclair signings were exactly what we needed at the time. Both were outstanding for us for the first two seasons.
These 2 users liked this post: TVC15 turfytopper

turfytopper
Been Liked: 409 times
Has Liked: 3421 times

Post by turfytopper » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:43 pm

I clean forgot Paul Cook!

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:45 pm

turfytopper wrote:I clean forgot Paul Cook!
Cooky is the only ex-Claret currently managing above League One level

ksrclaret
Been Liked: 2540 times
Has Liked: 766 times

Post by ksrclaret » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:01 pm

ClaretTony wrote:Make it eight - Graham Couglan is manager of Bristol Rovers and Micky Mellon is at Tranmere.
I definitely should have got Micky Mellon, but to be honest I'd forgotten Graham Coughlan ever turned out for us.

If my memory is correct, Coughlan played one game for us, a 0-0 home draw against Luton Town. Memorable for only one reason - it signaled 19 games without a win.

boyyanno
Been Liked: 513 times
Has Liked: 117 times

Post by boyyanno » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:15 pm

A free transfer masterclass from Cotterill.

He was everything we needed and his signing was a key reason that prevented us being relegated imo. Hope he has an absolutely stonking career, I was a teen when he played so I remember him fondly.

I like to think we'll always show appreciation where due.

ClaretTony

Post by ClaretTony » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:22 pm

ksrclaret wrote:I definitely should have got Micky Mellon, but to be honest I'd forgotten Graham Coughlan ever turned out for us.

If my memory is correct, Coughlan played one game for us, a 0-0 home draw against Luton Town. Memorable for only one reason - it signaled 19 games without a win.
He started that game against Luton, and he made one further sub appearance in the 1-0 win at Birmingham. He'd been a damn good player too. Nearly 33 then but he went on to play over 150 more league games.

What a strange season that was - we were second after 16 games, then we had that awful run of 18 games without a win and then won five out of six towards the end of the season.

Fretters
Been Liked: 1045 times
Has Liked: 549 times

Post by Fretters » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:02 pm

ClaretTony wrote:He started that game against Luton, and he made one further sub appearance in the 1-0 win at Birmingham. He'd been a damn good player too. Nearly 33 then but he went on to play over 150 more league games.

What a strange season that was - we were second after 16 games, then we had that awful run of 18 games without a win and then won five out of six towards the end of the season.
Andy Gray's foot injury was an utter disaster that season.

Wembley09
Been Liked: 75 times
Has Liked: 114 times

Post by Wembley09 » Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:30 pm

Yep, Gary Cahill said he learnt a lot from McGreal that season.

Always had a feeling he could be good enough to play for England even back then (Cahill that is) and he did indeed. Was great to see a defender like that playing for us at that time. John McGreal was a solid defender too, but towards the end of his career.. he still did a job for a couple of seasons fixing our leaky defence.

Obviously McGreal is a natural leader ;)

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:46 am

A trip to OT for McGreal and Colchester in the QF of the EFL Cup,you wouldn't write them off,Manure are hardly pulling up trees under Ole,and Rochdale run them close in an earlier round.