Inexcusable

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Re: Inexcusable

Post by Spijed » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:25 pm

bfcjg wrote:A newly promoted team playing football. It is possible Sean !!!
Can I just ask why you and a number of other posters have never had a good word to say about our managers style of play?

SkiptonClaret
Been Liked: 294 times
Has Liked: 92 times

Post by SkiptonClaret » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:27 pm

(Felt I had to comment just to justify CT’s rather pathetic post)

Tinribs
Been Liked: 281 times
Has Liked: 20 times

Post by Tinribs » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:31 pm

KRBFC wrote:I’ll be the one to say it and I don’t care where he was born, Rodriguez is ****.
What a moron you are

Jeremy_Bentham
Been Liked: 194 times
Has Liked: 78 times

Post by Jeremy_Bentham » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:38 pm

SkiptonClaret wrote:(Felt I had to comment just to justify CT’s rather pathetic post)
. thinks SkiptonClaret shouldn’t have bothered - it’ll only get deleted like every other post that calls out ClaretTony being the mug that he is.

Jakubclaret
Been Liked: 1180 times
Has Liked: 778 times

Post by Jakubclaret » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:39 pm

Just got back floored it with hallam FC blasting away, just 1 of them days against a well drilled side, bramall lane typical.

Right_winger
Been Liked: 492 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by Right_winger » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:45 pm

Spijed wrote:Can I just ask why you and a number of other posters have never had a good word to say about our managers style of play?
Because it’s utter dross that’s why. We have the worst style of play in the league by some distance. There is little to no variation either and we are all too predictable.

If you flip the question back on itself and if any other team played like we do with our long range hoof style and rigid 6 man defence would you criticise it? Let’s be honest you would wouldn’t you?

Silkyskills1
Been Liked: 1678 times
Has Liked: 2513 times

Post by Silkyskills1 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:52 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:0 shots on target. That is pathetic.

Worryingly can think of multiple games just last season that this happened. Istanbul, Wolves and Man City at least from memory.

That is the worse stat of all from today.
You've used inexcusable and on the way home in the car we settled for unacceptable so I think we're both of the same opinion on a shambles of a performance.
This user liked this post: cricketfieldclarets

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:56 pm

Right_winger wrote:Because it’s utter dross that’s why. We have the worst style of play in the league by some distance. There is little to no variation either and we are all too predictable.

If you flip the question back on itself and if any other team played like we do with our long range hoof style and rigid 6 man defence would you criticise it? Let’s be honest you would wouldn’t you?
So are you saying that despite being in the Prem for the fourth consecutive season our style of play has been rubbish season-in, season-out?

If it's too predictable how come we haven't been relegated before now?

Taffy on the wing
Been Liked: 1020 times
Has Liked: 3163 times

Post by Taffy on the wing » Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:58 pm

Steve-Harpers-perm wrote:No arguments woeful today but up against a team on a similar run next week. Two previous games performance wise were good so no need for the usual mass panic.

No surprise to see the usual posters back in amongst it after a convincing defeat really makes their sad little weekend complete.
Too many hysterical surrender Monkeys on this board!
This user liked this post: tim_noone

Right_winger
Been Liked: 492 times
Has Liked: 411 times

Post by Right_winger » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:01 pm

Spijed wrote:So are you saying that despite being in the Prem for the fourth consecutive season our style of play has been rubbish season-in, season-out?

If it's too predictable how come we haven't been relegated before now?
Yes that’s exactly what I’m saying. Our style of play under Dyche has been terrible. The reason he won’t get a better job elsewhere is his awful style of play, rigid tactics and poor recruitment.

It’s all predictable we name virtually the same starting line up every week and play the same way. We haven’t been relegated because there have been teams who have been worse than us. It won’t last though because we aren’t moving forward/evolving as a team. We are stuck in a timewarp with dinosaur football.
This user liked this post: SkiptonClaret

Spijed

Post by Spijed » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:06 pm

Right_winger wrote:We haven’t been relegated because there have been teams who have been worse than us.
That's completely rubbish because we've always hit the required number of points each season to stop up.

As for our style, we've played well in our homes wins this season.

Oh, teams don't qualify for the Europa league by playing poor football, they simply don't!

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:10 pm

ClaretTony wrote:I saw one on target from Tarkowski
Should have gone to specsavers 8-) 8-)
Attachments
Burnley Sheff.PNG
Burnley Sheff.PNG (34.49 KiB) Viewed 2354 times

EarbyClaret
Been Liked: 498 times

Post by EarbyClaret » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:27 pm

Firstly - well done Chris Wilder - what a good manager he is and what a fantastic job he's doing. Reminds me of our first PL season under Sean but with a cutting edge. That being said they will find the second half of the season far tougher than the first so they need to rack-up as many points as they possibly can before the turn of the year.

As far as we are concerned, three poor results, two poor and one decent performance. Doubt anyone underestimates the absence of Chris Wood after the last two weeks. It's taken longer than it should have but hopefully Taylor is now back head of Pieters. Lowton needs benching too - you can't reasonably expect to keep your place when you are directly involved in so many conceded goals. Harsh criticism of Hendrick making the best of bad job out of position. Move him back inside with Cork and rest Westwood who really hasn't been delivering at the required level since August.

Today was very disappointing but far from unexpected given the direction of movement over the last couple of weeks. Still feel far more confident than at this time last year. An excellent chance to put things right against West Ham provided we get back to basics and focus on what we do best.
These 4 users liked this post: FactualFrank Leisure BertiesBeehole tiger76

Raggus
Been Liked: 61 times
Has Liked: 266 times

Post by Raggus » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:35 pm

THEWELLERNUT70 wrote:Its interesting we have capitulated in two games since Cork and Westwood have been paired again in midfield
A well made point, I don't see why Cork bounced straight back into the team when westy and hendrick were doing well. It certainly stinks of favouritisms or loyalties

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1868 times
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Sat Nov 02, 2019 7:36 pm

Spijed wrote:That's completely rubbish because we've always hit the required number of points each season to stop up.

As for our style, we've played well in our homes wins this season.

Oh, teams don't qualify for the Europa league by playing poor football, they simply don't!
There is no point arguing against people like this. Always makes me wonder why you would bother putting so much time, money and effort in doing something at the weekend that gives you apparently zero pleasure.
These 2 users liked this post: fidelcastro Spijed

Stayingup
Been Liked: 914 times
Has Liked: 2726 times

Post by Stayingup » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:02 pm

Right_winger wrote:It’s our pathetic hoofball and lack of options both in the squad and tactically which are hurting us.

At some point we are going to have to improve the squad and expand our style of play?
Well we haven't improved in four years so there's much hope now.

KlyBfc
Been Liked: 211 times
Has Liked: 126 times

Post by KlyBfc » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:02 pm

It may have been arrogance it may have been naivety starting with that formation but it is inexcusable to have not changed it as that disaster unfolded.

We have to be more flexible and we have to adapt. That is a fact.

Barry_Chuckle
Been Liked: 586 times
Has Liked: 203 times

Post by Barry_Chuckle » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:32 pm

I'll tell you what's inexcusable, being 3-0 down at half time and still failed to muster a shot on target in the second half. It cries out that SD settled for damage limitation.
And folk question why our away supports dropping in numbers.

SparkyClaret
Been Liked: 55 times
Has Liked: 149 times

Post by SparkyClaret » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:54 pm

Got to say that was a thoroughly rank performance today.

Pieters and Lowton didn't cover themselves in glory, I'd be swapping the pair of the for Taylor and Bardsley. Our midfield just didn't turn up today. McNeill and Hendrick both seemed to struggle on the flanks and wanted to come inside, and I think Barnes and Rodriguez offered nowt.

My main takeaways from today were:
1) Taylor & Bardsley should start the next game
2) We need our wide men to stay wide
3) no beer sales at half time should = instant relegation

SparkyClaret
Been Liked: 55 times
Has Liked: 149 times

Post by SparkyClaret » Sat Nov 02, 2019 8:54 pm

Got to say that was a thoroughly rank performance today.

Pieters and Lowton didn't cover themselves in glory, I'd be swapping the pair of the for Taylor and Bardsley. Our midfield just didn't turn up today. McNeill and Hendrick both seemed to struggle on the flanks and wanted to come inside, and I think Barnes and Rodriguez offered nowt.

My main takeaways from today were:
1) Taylor & Bardsley should start the next game
2) We need our wide men to stay wide
3) no beer sales at half time should = instant relegation

expoultryboy
Been Liked: 334 times
Has Liked: 453 times

Post by expoultryboy » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:20 pm

Just got back . The only good thing about today , is that my chances of getting tickets for spurs should of improved !!

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Nov 02, 2019 9:30 pm

expoultryboy wrote:Just got back . The only good thing about today , is that my chances of getting tickets for spurs should of improved !!
Unlikely. Will be taken by all them who rarely go and when they do go they will spend 80 minutes in bar not bother watching and the other 10 mins of the game they wont have even got to the ground!

MACCA
Been Liked: 4360 times

Post by MACCA » Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:36 pm

expoultryboy wrote:Just got back . The only good thing about today , is that my chances of getting tickets for spurs should of improved !!
Doubt it, even I'm going Spurs.
There's also half a dozen none Burnley fans coming a long with our group for the day out on the beer too.
If that's the sort of cross section of fans going I can guarantee they'll be proper fans that miss out.

You know the sort, those that have season tickets, stay until the very end, go Bournemouth away and are proper fans will end up missing out.

But to be fair, why should the same people get to watch that dross week after week, let some others suffer for a change!

dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:41 pm

I suppose to sum up: the first 7 years under Dyche were OK, but today wasn't - so he should be sacked. I think that's the gist?
This user liked this post: Spijed

LawsCanalJump
Been Liked: 119 times
Has Liked: 62 times

Post by LawsCanalJump » Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:46 pm

Sheffield's formation seems to be working well with players with less ability then ours doesn't it?
5-3-2 is it?

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:46 pm

dsr wrote:I suppose to sum up: the first 7 years under Dyche were OK, but today wasn't - so he should be sacked. I think that's the gist?
:roll:

Talk about an over reaction.

Fans like you should be sacked!

MACCA

Post by MACCA » Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:50 pm

LawsCanalJump wrote:Sheffield's formation seems to be working well with players with less ability then ours doesn't it?
5-3-2 is it?
It's not the formation.

It's the ability to pass to a team mate, create chances from various situations, and exploit the oppositions weaknesses.

I'm pretty sure if 19k amateurs watching us every week can see our approach/weaknesses then surely the professionals can.

Fortunately we should get at least another season of neglecting the first 11 without it affecting the league we play in.

LawsCanalJump
Been Liked: 119 times
Has Liked: 62 times

Post by LawsCanalJump » Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:54 pm

Just need Barnes to score again and everyone will be fine
Do one of his celebrations
Had a good chance v Chelsea

Burnleyareback2
Been Liked: 772 times
Has Liked: 1426 times

Post by Burnleyareback2 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:06 pm

Luckily most of the posters on this thread can’t be of been following Burnley at this time last season.

Burnleyareback2

Post by Burnleyareback2 » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:07 pm

LawsCanalJump wrote:Just need Barnes to score again and everyone will be fine
Do one of his celebrations
Had a good chance v Chelsea
I’m sure he is carrying an injury at the moment

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:10 pm

Its what is known as a "Bad Day at the office"

Certain posters don't post when its not a "Bad day at the office" and then spam the board with threads about how bad we are really.

Today, we were ****

Normally, we are actually a pretty good premier league side.

Burtonwoodclaret
Been Liked: 82 times
Has Liked: 4 times

Post by Burtonwoodclaret » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:11 pm

KlyBfc wrote:It may have been arrogance it may have been naivety starting with that formation but it is inexcusable to have not changed it as that disaster unfolded.

We have to be more flexible and we have to adapt. That is a fact.
Wether it was arrogance or not it was certainly glaringly obvious before the game started and more so as it went on . Our under performing midfield 4 was over run by their midfield five, Their 3 man defence was far more effective than our 4 man safety net which was full of holes, and as many have observed Barnes without Wood looks lost.
I watched a stream of the game and before the first goal the commentator was saying “Burnley are quite content to sit back and soak up the pressure at the moment “ They may have been content but were unable to soak up a fast flowing multi-jet and got drenched , nay drowned . In the second half Sheffield. Utd, showed us what soaking up pressure should look like.

It’s the worst I’ve seen of Burnley since last years Everton thrashing. SD clearly knows it too and therein must lie hope.

mkmel
Been Liked: 1270 times
Has Liked: 2234 times

Post by mkmel » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:11 pm

I think the commentator said that Burnley have the worst record in the Premier League of passes not reaching their intended target ie a team mate

Today will have made that record far worse

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:23 pm

Wood coming back is important. But it’s also obvious how much we miss jbg
This user liked this post: Helmshore Claret

bfcmik
Been Liked: 891 times
Has Liked: 1100 times

Post by bfcmik » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:45 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Should have gone to specsavers 8-) 8-)
We struggle in games where we dominate possession. We are not good at playing any differently than our usual counter-attacking style. It isn't a new thing, I can think of many games in the last few seasons where we have suffered against teams who were happy to let us have the ball.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:56 am

Let's face it too many of that team know they are untouchable and will play every week no matter what.

Bin Ont Turf
Been Liked: 5154 times
Has Liked: 795 times
Location: On top of a pink elephant riding to the Democratic Republic of Congo

Post by Bin Ont Turf » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:06 am

bfcmik wrote:We struggle in games where we dominate possession. We are not good at playing any differently than our usual counter-attacking style. It isn't a new thing, I can think of many games in the last few seasons where we have suffered against teams who were happy to let us have the ball.
We're a bits and bobs team who likes to get the ball into the box at every possible opportunity.

When have we dominated possession and/or played a (usual?) counter attacking style?

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:16 am

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Wood coming back is important. But it’s also obvious how much we miss jbg
Agreed.
This user liked this post: Burnleyareback2

bfcmik
Been Liked: 891 times
Has Liked: 1100 times

Post by bfcmik » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:20 pm

Bin Ont Turf wrote:We're a bits and bobs team who likes to get the ball into the box at every possible opportunity.

When have we dominated possession and/or played a (usual?) counter attacking style?
We dominate possession in cup games against lower league sides. I can particularly recall games against West Brom and Newcastle where they were happy to allow us to control the ball, throw men forward then hurt us on the counter-attack.

We don't always try to lump the ball straight up into the channels. Our football can be good to watch although, sadly, usually only for short spells at a time. We do break quite incisively on many occasions - generally a ball up to the front men that is held and played back to an advancing midfielder, out to the wing and quickly crossed in for a headed goal. Many of the goals mentioned in the top 200 PL goals poll recently were of the counter attack variety. Goals at Brighton, Villa, Leicester (including the one that didn't count) were all counter-attack goals.

Nonayforever
Been Liked: 690 times
Has Liked: 172 times

Post by Nonayforever » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:58 pm

A lot of fans criticise various players for whatever reason, but they must be doing exactly what the manager wants because he picks the same team & formation the following week. Therefore the problem seems to lay in the tactics & formation for Games such as yesterdays.
SD plays the numbers game insofar as playing long balls up to the strikers is concerned. Some days it just doesn't work.
His worst ploy is his insistence on a player receiving the ball, control then pass.
Other teams quite often cut opponents open with quick one touch passes which incorporate forwards dropping back into midfield rather than queuing up on the centre spot to receive a cross.
SD also has an inability to move players around when the current phase isn't working.
He will keep us up, but it's sometimes a fare not worth digesting.

diamondpocket
Been Liked: 254 times
Has Liked: 215 times

Post by diamondpocket » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:53 pm

jrgbfc wrote:Let's face it too many of that team know they are untouchable and will play every week no matter what.
After hearing Sean's interview on Clarets Player after the match then I'd expect that to change next week; he was as open and clinical as ever about team selection and competition for starting places suggesting the Taylor change was just that. Buck up or be out.

diamondpocket
Been Liked: 254 times
Has Liked: 215 times

Post by diamondpocket » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:03 pm

In our most successful Prem season to date we finished 7th. In that season, we were able to keep ball possession so much better because of the added man in Defour. We could stop teams building momentum and pressure when on top by keeping the ball. We also had wide men/full backs whipping balls in for 2 strikers who were a threat in the box.

Sean quite rightly went back to the trusted workmanlike 442 last season after a difficult start and it retained our status. The recruitment comments above are right; we had to recruit better in the Summer to take us forward in midfield to get back to having some dominance in there. Instead, we got Drinkwater!! And zilch else. We can't keep the ball well enough, especially away from home.
Until we change that, we will continue to be where we are at, an ugly functional team that probably just does enough. But maybe one year it just won't be! Here's hoping it won't be this year coz on that performance we look relegation fodder.

GodIsADeeJay81
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 6339 times

Post by GodIsADeeJay81 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:13 pm

mkmel wrote:I think the commentator said that Burnley have the worst record in the Premier League of passes not reaching their intended target ie a team mate

Today will have made that record far worse
Commentator doesn't know what he's on about.

Newcastle are worse than us this season.
Cardiff last season.
Stoke and WBA before that.

Burnleyareback2

Post by Burnleyareback2 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:50 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:Should have gone to specsavers 8-) 8-)
You seem really pleased with yourself.

jrgbfc

Post by jrgbfc » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:13 am

diamondpocket wrote:After hearing Sean's interview on Clarets Player after the match then I'd expect that to change next week; he was as open and clinical as ever about team selection and competition for starting places suggesting the Taylor change was just that. Buck up or be out.
Its tinkering around the edges though. Mee, Tarks, Cork, Westwood and Barnes are untouchable and they know it.

Steve-Harpers-perm

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:07 am

jrgbfc wrote:Its tinkering around the edges though. Mee, Tarks, Cork, Westwood and Barnes are untouchable and they know it.
Maybe we should change the entire starting 11 every we lose or have a bad game.

jrgbfc

Post by jrgbfc » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:13 am

Steve-Harpers-perm wrote:Maybe we should change the entire starting 11 every we lose or have a bad game.
Not saying that. Do you think its healthy that virtually half our team are guaranteed to play every week, irrespective of performance?

jojomk1
Been Liked: 836 times
Has Liked: 574 times

Post by jojomk1 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:48 am

jrgbfc wrote:Not saying that. Do you think its healthy that virtually half our team are guaranteed to play every week, irrespective of performance?
It's far from healthy

But recruitment failures over the last couple of years has meant the starting 11 virtually picks itself whether they are good enough or not

Steve-Harpers-perm

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:02 am

jrgbfc wrote:Not saying that. Do you think its healthy that virtually half our team are guaranteed to play every week, irrespective of performance?
But from the players you named such as Mee and Tarkowski their performances on the whole warrant them starting every week. I imagine it’s the same at most other clubs around us.

dsr
Been Liked: 4549 times
Has Liked: 2241 times

Post by dsr » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:55 pm

It's been Dyche's philosophy since he got here. All managers have squad loyalty to some extent - if Sterling misses a couple of sitters in midweek, it won't automatically mean he misses the Liverpool game next Sunday, for example. Ask the question the other way round - is it healthy if the players know that one bad performance and they'll be out in the cold? Dyche obviously prefers to keep faith with the first XI to a greater extent than most; but that's all it is - a matter of degree.

Or ask the other question - has Sean Dyche been getting it wrong for 7 years?