I’m inclined to give up to football

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2439 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

I’m inclined to give up to football

Post by Tricky Trevor » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:55 pm

Not because of VAR, I’m an advocate, but because of those totally inept, if not corrupt, winkers who officiate. These prats are supposedly the best in the country, what they really are is a tidy little club of overpaid over-rated nobodies.
They have got worse season on season since this PGMOL was set up. They think they are gods and defend each other to the hilt. Today was the last straw.
They said it was handball if the arm was away from the body. Allis is above his head but Taylor decides he was touched by the Everton player. So effing what? His hand shouldn’t be in a totally unnatural position above his head.
Then Son gets a red card for the outcome and not for the challenge and they bring out another new rule, that the professionals have never heard of. Endangering an opponent. Every challenge is endangering an opponent. Under that nonsense Ben Mee should have gone for his challenge on Gomez, last year.
It’s like the bible you can find an answer to every situation on both sides of any argument and they choose the one they want with no appearance of consistency. Which is all the fans ask for.
VAR is supposed to give the correct decision. The man in the booth is meant to look at all available evidence and give a ruling not just cosy up to his buddies decision.
I’ve said before and I’ll repeat myself.
THEY DON’T WANT IT TO WORK.

I think I’ll spend my weekends watching Munster.
This user liked this post: Hibsclaret

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 490 times

Re: I’m inclined to give up to football

Post by Hibsclaret » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:00 am

They do want it to work for the bigger clubs. Let me know when we get a game changer in our favour please...not when we are 4 nil down.

If Wood fouls the Leicester defender how is Jay not fouled in the 2nd minute on Saturday.

As for the handball we should compare the one not given to the next one that will be undoubtedly given against us for something similar

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:07 am

You didn't just watch the rugby World Cup final then?

wickdkewlclaret
Been Liked: 141 times
Has Liked: 81 times

Post by wickdkewlclaret » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:40 am

I have got a new lease of life with football at the minute. I have got a season ticket at my local team Clitheroe this season. It’s brilliant, good old honest football, we’re doing great this season also.

We have started a chanting section there this year and it’s great fun, plenty of banter at games also. I still have a season ticket at Burnley but have found myself enjoying watching Clitheroe more, all subject to change though!

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:48 am

I'm hoping that the fact the continent can do VAR and has a lot more experience than us in VAR officiating means that whoever decided to ignore that experience changes their mind pretty bloody quickly.

Very hard to ignore the fact that in its current form it could destroy what makes English football so popular, and that is the atmosphere.

Rick_Muller
Been Liked: 2619 times
Has Liked: 6416 times

Post by Rick_Muller » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:19 am

When they realise that the Premier League is becoming the laughing stock of World football because of the crap implementation of VAR (that the rest of the top leagues can do successfully) the powers that be will soon want it sorting before its too late. Until then we'll have to live with it.

Bordeauxclaret
Been Liked: 3327 times
Has Liked: 1939 times

Post by Bordeauxclaret » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:33 am

Rather than helping officials correct their mistakes it’s just exposing them for how poor they are.

We’ve had people defending them for years, they only get one view, a player was in his line of sight etc.
Well now they don’t have that excuse and they are still making a dogs dinner of it.

CharlieinNewMexico
Been Liked: 815 times
Has Liked: 527 times

Post by CharlieinNewMexico » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:36 am

Bordeauxclaret wrote:Rather than helping officials correct their mistakes it’s just exposing them for how poor they are.

We’ve had people defending them for years, they only get one view, a player was in his line of sight etc.
Well now they don’t have that excuse and they are still making a dogs dinner of it.
Even 2 refs and still making a dog's dinner of it :)

MRG
Been Liked: 361 times
Has Liked: 154 times

Post by MRG » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:44 am

Genuinely started to feel like I’ve lost the love for football. It’s not just VAR it’s a mixture. There’s no doubt that it brings me far more frustration than enjoyment. When was the last time you came off the turf buzzing feeling like we have really gone at a team? We seem to always be trying to avoid defeat than trying to win. The variation in spending power is another big issue, I’m sick of hearing how we have to just accept our fate as we can’t compete.

It’s the first time in my lifetime that I will sometimes do other things when there’s a match being played that once of a day I’d have never missed

Lord Beamish
Been Liked: 3435 times
Has Liked: 2881 times

Post by Lord Beamish » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:54 am

I’m giving the West Ham game this weekend a swerve. The farago of VAR is just the icing on the cake of a cake that’s been baking for a while, now. I’ve steadily been being turned off Football in general. There’s so much of it on telly, that it’s not special anymore. The money and Billionaire ownership is skewing the competition so far out of whack that 18 teams in the Top Flight are simply passengers to an utterly dominant Top 2. Where’s the fun in that?
Also, the compromises we are having to make to our style of Football, just to tread water in this Division, are leading to some pretty dire fare at the Turf and when we play away. Without a Benefactor, we are struggling to grow anything other than our Bank Ballance; and we are, for many reasons I can fully understand, loathe to spend that Cash Buffer.
I can’t help but feel that the Chase of the Premier League Dream was far better than it’s Capture and Retention. All we are ever going to be is an Also Ran in the Premier League. There’s nowt to dream bout anymore.
These 4 users liked this post: houseboy Stayingup claretgimmer claretfern

Dark Cloud
Been Liked: 1981 times
Has Liked: 3299 times

Post by Dark Cloud » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:04 am

Hibsclaret wrote:They do want it to work for the bigger clubs. Let me know when we get a game changer in our favour please...not when we are 4 nil down.

If Wood fouls the Leicester defender how is Jay not fouled in the 2nd minute on Saturday.

As for the handball we should compare the one not given to the next one that will be undoubtedly given against us for something similar
You make an excellent point there re Wood fouling Evans. Never would I have expected there to be a penalty given for the incident with Jayrod as it really is something and nothing, BUT if that's nothing then Woods inadvertent clip on Evans who was never getting anywhere near the ball is absolutely nothing also.
These 3 users liked this post: Leisure Goobs houseboy

beddie
Been Liked: 1380 times
Has Liked: 511 times

Post by beddie » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:12 am

I understand where you're coming from Tricky. I think there is far too much football on tv. I don't enjoy the game as much as I did, the 70s were the best days imo, it was more of an even playing field in those days,admittedly things have progressed at a phenomenal rate since but apart from watching Burnley these days I'm not that bothered. Oh and from day one I didn't want VAR and I'm still adamant about that.
This user liked this post: claretfern

NottsClaret
Been Liked: 2588 times
Has Liked: 1 time

Post by NottsClaret » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:22 am

wickdkewlclaret wrote:I have got a new lease of life with football at the minute. I have got a season ticket at my local team Clitheroe this season. It’s brilliant, good old honest football, we’re doing great this season also... I still have a season ticket at Burnley but have found myself enjoying watching Clitheroe more, all subject to change though!
Same here. I started watching local non league side on International weeks and now I find I prefer it full stop. You'll never see Aguero or Kane down there, but it's great. No VAR is the best, but everything is good, it actually feels like football again.

Not ready to give up on Burnley yet - none of this is their fault - but a season ticket next season is probably unlikely, unless we go down and the Championship doesn't adopt VAR.
This user liked this post: wickdkewlclaret

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:43 am

Lord Beamish wrote:I’m giving the West Ham game this weekend a swerve. The farago of VAR is just the icing on the cake of a cake that’s been baking for a while, now. I’ve steadily been being turned off Football in general. There’s so much of it on telly, that it’s not special anymore. The money and Billionaire ownership is skewing the competition so far out of whack that 18 teams in the Top Flight are simply passengers to an utterly dominant Top 2. Where’s the fun in that?
Also, the compromises we are having to make to our style of Football, just to tread water in this Division, are leading to some pretty dire fare at the Turf and when we play away. Without a Benefactor, we are struggling to grow anything other than our Bank Ballance; and we are, for many reasons I can fully understand, loathe to spend that Cash Buffer.
I can’t help but feel that the Chase of the Premier League Dream was far better than it’s Capture and Retention. All we are ever going to be is an Also Ran in the Premier League. There’s nowt to dream bout anymore.
You are saying what I predicted a lot would be saying 18 months or more ago. I said at the time that there would come a time when many Clarets would start to tire of the PL, not because we don't want to be in it, of course we do, but because just surviving in it for nothing more than the money would become an increasingly uphill struggle. Dyche does a brilliant job given his resources but you cannot turn a pigs ear into a silk purse. We are watching pretty grim stuff OUT OF NECESSITY because we don't have the financial wherewithal to compete for anything other than survival and my prediction was back then that many would indeed get utterly fed up with it. In footballing terms it is the life equivalent of having nothing to live for. I know it sounds depressing but that is what we are coming to. Unless and until some semblance of common sense returns to a sport where money has gone mad clubs like Burnley are on an annual battle for nothing much other than survival in order to make money and maintain the uphill struggle so that we have enough money to try to maintain the uphill struggle ad infinitum. Unfortunately we don't even break the monotony with a cup run because the chase for PL money means that we field 'second' teams in cups in order to maintain the struggle. And so on it goes.

I'm not saying this because we have just lost again, I said it ages ago when we were doing okay. Incidentally we aren't doing too badly now despite the recent poor run and I fully expect that we will be in the PL next season, I don't believe relegation is on the cards, but what I am saying is that the current style that we are forced into is not going to change anytime soon because it can't, despite the brilliance of Dyche. Why do we never win away (or hardly ever)? Because we set up to not lose, and in many home games we do the same, it's safety first football and I don't see a way forward. We chased the PL dream and got it but I still think that more and more Clarets will tire of it and many will start doing other things on matchdays and it's not fair to criticise any who do because football is a sport and an entertainment and if the excitement and entertainment are not there for long periods people will leave.

aggi
Been Liked: 2109 times

Post by aggi » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:46 am

Lancasterclaret wrote:I'm hoping that the fact the continent can do VAR and has a lot more experience than us in VAR officiating means that whoever decided to ignore that experience changes their mind pretty bloody quickly.

Very hard to ignore the fact that in its current form it could destroy what makes English football so popular, and that is the atmosphere.
Can the continent do VAR? I seem to remember various controversies in Italy and Germany with it.

Interestingly, Italy are changing the way they're doing VAR next season from having VAR officials at the matches to a Premier League style set-up with a dedicated VAR centre.

The main improvement to VAR would be to show the replays on the big screen so the ref can judge and the fans can have an idea of what's going on (for the couple of grounds without big screens tell them tough, they need to install them).

Ultimately though it's trying to make subjective decisions objective, it's always going to be poor and that was clear before it was introduced (even where the rules seem pretty objective like handball in the area it clearly is still open to interpretation).

As for the feigning injury, I'd like to see in-game physios and no free-kick given when contact is exaggerated (a difficult one to ref though).

Lancasterclaret
Been Liked: 8058 times
Has Liked: 4714 times

Post by Lancasterclaret » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:51 am

aggi wrote:Can the continent do VAR? I seem to remember various controversies in Italy and Germany with it.

Interestingly, Italy are changing the way they're doing VAR next season from having VAR officials at the matches to a Premier League style set-up with a dedicated VAR centre.

The main improvement to VAR would be to show the replays on the big screen so the ref can judge and the fans can have an idea of what's going on (for the couple of grounds without big screens tell them tough, they need to install them).

Ultimately though it's trying to make subjective decisions objective, it's always going to be poor and that was clear before it was introduced (even where the rules seem pretty objective like handball in the area it clearly is still open to interpretation).

As for the feigning injury, I'd like to see in-game physios and no free-kick given when contact is exaggerated (a difficult one to ref though).
It could be that I just haven't noticed it being as bad when I've watched italian/german/french football to be fair.

But I'm still a fan of the off field ref telling the on field ref that its a pen/offside/whatever, its just got to be done a lot quicker, and if its not immediately "clear and obvious", then it shouldn't be changed.

ashtonlongsider
Been Liked: 493 times
Has Liked: 162 times

Post by ashtonlongsider » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:52 am

If that handball of Ali's yesterday had been one of our players, VAR wouldn't have taken 3 minutes to convolute a reason for not giving a penalty. The decision would have been made in 3 seconds against the defender. Must be honest I'm not happy with VAR, it's not helping and the sooner it's scraped the better for me. The amount of hype around the modern game is getting ridiculous.

Blackrod
Been Liked: 1348 times
Has Liked: 608 times

Post by Blackrod » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:53 am

I think VAR will put a lot of people off unless they sort it out. It is no good having another person making the decision in a room. Use it for goal line and possibly marginal offsides only.

Conning of referees like Jonny Evans at Leicester and that pathetic dive by Bamford make we want watch my local non league team.

boatshed bill
Been Liked: 3137 times
Has Liked: 6682 times

Post by boatshed bill » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:59 am

Blackrod wrote:I think VAR will put a lot of people off unless they sort it out. It is no good having another person making the decision in a room. Use it for goal line and possibly marginal offsides only.

Conning of referees like Jonny Evans at Leicester and that pathetic dive by Bamford make we want watch my local non league team.
They are all trying to con the ref. If they weren't we wouldn't need VAR.
Football is becoming absolutely crap, and I'm sick of this "there was contact" comment justifying diving.

Tricky Trevor

Post by Tricky Trevor » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:06 am

Time wasting is the next major problem they must get rid of. Saw a player standing on the ball, to stop a quick FK, FK taken hits him and not booked.
They kick the ball away, dribble around with it, restarting the game after (throw ins, GKs, FKs, corners),put it in the crowd, stand on the ball. All should be an automatic booking for delaying the play.
One of the biggest complaints about VAR has been stopping the game and yet this sh1t is going on all the time and nobody seems bothered.

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:07 am

Playing and watching football for more than 45 years now I can’t ever see me stopping loving the game - but I am glad I did not watch the Everton v Spurs game live as my patience is being sorely tested this season.
I was behind bringing in VAR - but I could not have been more wrong. I would suspend it immediately and go back and have a complete rethink - and then re-introduce it for an agreed period in one of the cups. Learn lessons from that period and then if there is support from fans, players, clubs etc introduce this again into the league. It should be reviewed regularly and changed / developed.
TMO does not ruin the game in rugby - it improves it. We should take a leaf out of how it is communicated to players and fans - mike up the referees and stop al the nonsense and indiscipline we get from players. But this won’t happen because football is too arrogant and there is far too much greed, self preservation and corruption.

I said the other week when we robbed at Leicester I’d rather play golf than watch football at the moment - I doubt whether I’ll follow through with that but this season looks like it can only get worse so who knows how bad it will be by next March when season ticket renewals are due.

As for Atkinson yesterday what he did in sending off Son was inexcusable. It’s no different to giving someone a red card for a 2 footed terrible challenge and then changing it to a yellow when you realise that the player has been luckily saved from any injury by his shin pads. How the hell have we ended up in a position where the likes of Atkinson and Mike Dean are being allowed to run and ruin the game ? These guys were idiots without VAR - they are now just very influential idiots with it.

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:11 am

The problem with micing refs is the bad language that mics will pick up. Not good for TV, and TV runs football.
This user liked this post: Marty Dobson

TVC15
Been Liked: 3321 times
Has Liked: 601 times

Post by TVC15 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:22 am

boatshed bill wrote:The problem with micing refs is the bad language that mics will pick up. Not good for TV, and TV runs football.
I think it would stop the bad language against the referee which at all other levels of football is a a yellow or red card offence. It would also stop the players crowding round a referee screaming at him if we adopted the rugby etiquette of the referee communicating through the captains.
Players and managers are currently in the refs ear asking them to go to VAR...football referees are just too weak not to be influenced. Always have been - just look at the power the likes of Ferguson had over them.
This user liked this post: boatshed bill

boatshed bill

Post by boatshed bill » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:35 am

TVC15 wrote:I think it would stop the bad language against the referee which at all other levels of football is a a yellow or red card offence. It would also stop the players crowding round a referee screaming at him if we adopted the rugby etiquette of the referee communicating through the captains.
Players and managers are currently in the refs ear asking them to go to VAR...football referees are just too weak not to be influenced. Always have been - just look at the power the likes of Ferguson had over them.
I'd love to think you are right. We've allowed the players to treat refs really badly.

Dyched
Been Liked: 1921 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:38 am

We play garbage football by pure choice. Nothing more. Of course you can try and play proper football in this league and survive. We don’t play Man City/Liverpool every week.

Teams **** themselves in this league playing the better teams. They’re so afraid of going down and losing the cash. Look at Barcalona/Bayern results this weekend. That wouldn’t happen here cos our teams will just wack it up to Van Dijks massive fuckoff head for 90 minutes.

Tricky Trevor

Post by Tricky Trevor » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:41 am

TVC15 wrote: Players and managers are currently in the refs ear asking them to go to VAR...football referees are just too weak not to be influenced. Always have been - just look at the power the likes of Ferguson had over them.
This is why JRod didn’t get his pen on Saturday. He sat on the ground with his arms spread looking at the lino. Most other players would have been haring after the ref and screaming in his ear. I’m not even sure it was reviewed, willing to stand correction, but one look would have shown he was kicked on his calf.
This is the situation where you don’t need to appeal. The TMO should be viewing everything and telling the ref “I think we’ve got a pen here, let me have one more look”

tiger76
Been Liked: 4644 times
Has Liked: 9849 times

Post by tiger76 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:56 am

beddie wrote:I understand where you're coming from Tricky. I think there is far too much football on tv. I don't enjoy the game as much as I did, the 70s were the best days imo, it was more of an even playing field in those days,admittedly things have progressed at a phenomenal rate since but apart from watching Burnley these days I'm not that bothered. Oh and from day one I didn't want VAR and I'm still adamant about that.
Totally agree there's far too much footy on tv,if the PL aren't careful they'll kill the goose that lays the golden eggs,i've got rid of my pay-tv package this season,i just watch the highlights shows now,and the odd game on freeview.

It's great Burnley being in the PL for the worldwide exposure we gain,and the cash obviously,but there is a danger we'll grow stale with constant survival battles,that''s why a cup run now and then would be exciting,alas Sean treats the domestic cups as glorified training sessions.

I did want VAR but i must admit it's been terrible,there's no consistency game to game.let alone week to week.Naively i thought it would level the playing field,and stop the big club bias,but if anything it''s increased it.

And it's not cutting down the playacting and blatant diving either,which annoys many fans.

Another thing which irks me is the over-hyping of the PL as the best league in the world,most competitive league in the world perhaps,but La Liga is technically miles ahead.
These 2 users liked this post: houseboy claretgimmer

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Post by IanMcL » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:06 am

The Prem employ all the officials.

The prem want the top 6 to be the top 6, perhaps with 1 odd novelty act, which could make a top 7, 8, 9 or one day 10, very marketable clubs.

The top 6 will be the top 6.

VAR will aid that surety. It has been decreed.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2098 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:22 am

Dyched wrote:We play garbage football by pure choice. Nothing more. Of course you can try and play proper football in this league and survive. We don’t play Man City/Liverpool every week.

Teams **** themselves in this league playing the better teams. They’re so afraid of going down and losing the cash. Look at Barcalona/Bayern results this weekend. That wouldn’t happen here cos our teams will just wack it up to Van Dijks massive fuckoff head for 90 minutes.
Brighton have made a decent start trying to play more football under Potter. Too many of our fans buy into the myth that this is the only way we can play.
This user liked this post: claretfern

gandhisflipflop
Been Liked: 2317 times
Has Liked: 1399 times

Post by gandhisflipflop » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:56 am

I'm losing the passion I once had for football. I used to dread the thought of ever missing a game whether on TV or at the turf. I got my Mrs a season ticket with me this season as she enjoys it, but I just don't enjoy it anymore. It's a combination of things for me that has slowly been coming since the social media age, then Ronaldo broke the transfer record at 80 million, I just think it went way too far (and it was too far then) for my liking. I just ask my Mrs now if she wants to go on. If she does then we go, if not I'm not that bothered and it saddens me that I feel that way. It's just not the same anymore and VAR is the final straw. I still find myself putting football on out of habit and hope that I can recindle the passion but I end up switching over (if it's not Burnley) or it becoming background noise. I'm thinking of not renewing next season. I can't believe I'm thinking this way too

claretdj
Been Liked: 283 times
Has Liked: 173 times

Post by claretdj » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:15 pm

gandhisflipflop wrote:I'm losing the passion I once had for football. I used to dread the thought of ever missing a game whether on TV or at the turf. I got my Mrs a season ticket with me this season as she enjoys it, but I just don't enjoy it anymore. It's a combination of things for me that has slowly been coming since the social media age, then Ronaldo broke the transfer record at 80 million, I just think it went way too far (and it was too far then) for my liking. I just ask my Mrs now if she wants to go on. If she does then we go, if not I'm not that bothered and it saddens me that I feel that way. It's just not the same anymore and VAR is the final straw. I still find myself putting football on out of habit and hope that I can recindle the passion but I end up switching over (if it's not Burnley) or it becoming background noise. I'm thinking of not renewing next season. I can't believe I'm thinking this way too
snap I'm thinking exactly the same! Its VAR for me that's killing the game, it's got to the point where when we score that I dont want to celebrate the goal anymore as I'm just waiting for the VAR to rule it out for some tiny big toe being offside or some other insane reason.. Football is all about emotion & this system is killing the game @ the mo! Can we please not just go back to leaving it to the matchday officials n @ least then when they do cock up now n again it gives you something to talk about on a monday morning @ work, rather than the farce we are having currently.. :cry:
This user liked this post: gandhisflipflop

Dy1geo
Been Liked: 211 times
Has Liked: 62 times

Post by Dy1geo » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:22 pm

It is the “not competing “ in the cups that gets me the most, it is not just us but the money in the PL has meant virtually all the bottom 12 of the prem and the top half of the championship virtually write them off each year. When we were in the lower leagues the FA Cup draws and matches had a buzz about it.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:05 pm

Tricky Trevor wrote:Time wasting is the next major problem they must get rid of. Saw a player standing on the ball, to stop a quick FK, FK taken hits him and not booked.
They kick the ball away, dribble around with it, restarting the game after (throw ins, GKs, FKs, corners),put it in the crowd, stand on the ball. All should be an automatic booking for delaying the play.
One of the biggest complaints about VAR has been stopping the game and yet this sh1t is going on all the time and nobody seems bothered.
Mmm - many opposing fans accuse us of being really bad for that so I think it is a bit of a hot potato on here.

jrgbfc

Post by jrgbfc » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:08 pm

Dy1geo wrote:It is the “not competing “ in the cups that gets me the most, it is not just us but the money in the PL has meant virtually all the bottom 12 of the prem and the top half of the championship virtually write them off each year. When we were in the lower leagues the FA Cup draws and matches had a buzz about it.
I agree with this really. Is the problem VAR or the fact that our sole ambition as a club now seems to be finish 17th every year and bank some more money?
This user liked this post: houseboy

jrgbfc

Post by jrgbfc » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:09 pm

Tricky Trevor wrote:Time wasting is the next major problem they must get rid of. Saw a player standing on the ball, to stop a quick FK, FK taken hits him and not booked.
We're probably the worst team in the league for time wasting when we get a lead.
This user liked this post: tim_noone

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:10 pm

tiger76 wrote:Totally agree there's far too much footy on tv,if the PL aren't careful they'll kill the goose that lays the golden eggs,i've got rid of my pay-tv package this season,i just watch the highlights shows now,and the odd game on freeview.

It's great Burnley being in the PL for the worldwide exposure we gain,and the cash obviously,but there is a danger we'll grow stale with constant survival battles,that''s why a cup run now and then would be exciting,alas Sean treats the domestic cups as glorified training sessions.

I did want VAR but i must admit it's been terrible,there's no consistency game to game.let alone week to week.Naively i thought it would level the playing field,and stop the big club bias,but if anything it''s increased it.

And it's not cutting down the playacting and blatant diving either,which annoys many fans.

Another thing which irks me is the over-hyping of the PL as the best league in the world,most competitive league in the world perhaps,but La Liga is technically miles ahead.
I agree with this so much I could have written it.

Tricky Trevor

Post by Tricky Trevor » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:03 pm

houseboy wrote:Mmm - many opposing fans accuse us of being really bad for that so I think it is a bit of a hot potato on here.
We can be bad but there are far worse out there. It’s that last 10mins when one side has a lead. You are lucky to get 3mins action.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:17 pm

Tricky Trevor wrote:We can be bad but there are far worse out there. It’s that last 10mins when one side has a lead. You are lucky to get 3mins action.
I'm inclined to believe that has always happened though mate - players since the days of Mathews have been taking it to the corner flag etc.

Tricky Trevor

Post by Tricky Trevor » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:39 pm

houseboy wrote:I'm inclined to believe that has always happened though mate - players since the days of Mathews have been taking it to the corner flag etc.
I can take that, it’s the list I posted earlier, when the ball is dead that the refs can stop by handing out cards. They tried taking FKs forward 10yds but that would never work in football, unless it took you to within shooting distance, so they canned it.
This user liked this post: houseboy

edlass
Been Liked: 59 times
Has Liked: 37 times

Post by edlass » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:41 pm

Its a tough one. Funnily enough the most disillusioned I have felt about football Is the season we finished 7th because as much as I battled the thought I still told myself that this was our limit. I've seen the best it will ever be if things stay the way there are in football. I hate it when City and Liverpool come and can sing about winning the league or Europe and it makes me jealous. Even though chanting that at a team like us is like cheering when Roger Federer beats an opponent with two arms tied behind his back and a racket in their mouth. I cant help it, I want to win the league, I don't know how to stop that feeling and that's what gets me down.

But then when match day comes that all seems to vanish. Some things just keep me coming back and most of them have nothing to do with actual kicking of a ball. Like seeing the ground from the hills on the journey in, when the music hits and the players come out, planning an away match, seeing a new ground for the first time, winning (obviously), watching the scores come in, bastards getting beat. Bla Bla etc

Stayingup
Been Liked: 914 times
Has Liked: 2726 times

Post by Stayingup » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:10 pm

A few been listening to Morrisey on here.
Depressing it is at times but we are fans and have to stick by the team and manager. Its great when, like last season, we beat a team like Spurs

But no question the team really needs freshening up.