Just how good have the last 7 or 8 years been

This Forum is the main messageboard to discuss all things Claret and Blue and beyond
claretnproud
Been Liked: 261 times
Has Liked: 21 times

Just how good have the last 7 or 8 years been

Post by claretnproud » Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:16 pm

The stuff that dreams are made of.
oops, sorry, wrong forum :(
These 2 users liked this post: dsr LeadBelly

FactualFrank
Been Liked: 6930 times
Has Liked: 11660 times

Re: Just how good have the last 7 or 8 years been

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:18 pm

The last 10 years have been a decent effort.
This user liked this post: Spike

Texanclaret16
Been Liked: 34 times
Has Liked: 31 times

Post by Texanclaret16 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:19 pm

Positivity awesome about time some fans have short memories. I would even say last 10 years it was all building and good forward progress by the club where most have gone backwards we bucked the Trend or what ever the saying is...

claretnproud

Post by claretnproud » Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:20 pm

hmmm, 10 or 11 years of punching above our weight. Fabulous effort.

ElectroClaret
Been Liked: 4044 times
Has Liked: 1846 times

Post by ElectroClaret » Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:26 pm

Dreadful, if you listen to the resident bellends on here.
These 7 users liked this post: FactualFrank Hibsclaret RalphCoatesComb longsidepies jedi_master AfloatinClaret Bosscat

Dyched
Been Liked: 1921 times
Has Liked: 446 times

Post by Dyched » Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:32 pm

Fabulous for my neck brace business on the market.

ClaretMov
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 822 times

Post by ClaretMov » Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:36 pm

We are always punching about out weight, a small town team of 90k residents should equal that our true level is league one, even championship is punching above so when you look at us in the top flight its what dreams are made of.

The year's under Dyche are the best we've had since the 60's we just need to freshen it up and continue ******* off the big boys.

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Post by IanMcL » Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:43 pm

A piddly little town has no right to prem football and little chance.

We are a football town miracle.
These 8 users liked this post: FactualFrank ClaretMov Colburn_Claret RalphCoatesComb Chip Harrison Spike k90bfc Cleveleys_claret

houseboy
Been Liked: 2238 times
Has Liked: 1617 times

Post by houseboy » Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:48 pm

Last 8-10 years (and certainly the 'Dyche years') have been good. Of course everything is relative and what is good for some may not be for others. I'm pretty content with the way we've moved forward. My only concern now (and I'm pretty certain I'm not alone in this) is that unless things change somehow in a massive way we have probably come as far as it is possible for us to come. Unless something happens to level the playing field things are probably never going to get any better than they are now, which brings us back to the thread talking about people getting fed up with football I suppose. It looks pretty much like we have hit an unbreakable ceiling in terms of forward movement (or upward movement as the case may be).

Not sure about Texan's statement about people having short memories though. My memories of Burnley take in far more than the few relatively short years we were in the 3rd and 4th division wilderness. My memory contains us winning titles and being in cup finals and being a far better established top flight club than we are now, the 'wilderness' years were only a very tiny part of an otherwise long and illustrious history. Unfortunately many (not saying Texan by any means) use those years as some kind of yardstick that somehow defines the club and it simply doesn't, we have been in the past a major name in English football, and in some ways still are in terms of history etc. So many Clarets (me to a degree) still want more because we have had more in the past but the fact that we haven't isn't the fault of anyone at the club, it's the fault of a system that has become so skewed in favour of so few that the existence of the game as we currently know it is in danger of collapsing in on itself.
These 6 users liked this post: ClaretMov Buxtonclaret ClaretAL Tricky Trevor Blackrod groove

ClaretMov
Been Liked: 843 times
Has Liked: 822 times

Post by ClaretMov » Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:51 pm

houseboy wrote:Last 8-10 years (and certainly the 'Dyche years') have been good. Of course everything is relative and what is good for some may not be for others. I'm pretty content with the way we've moved forward. My only concern now (and I'm pretty certain I'm not alone in this) is that unless things change somehow in a massive way we have probably come as far as it is possible for us to come. Unless something happens to level the playing field things are probably never going to get any better than they are now, which brings us back to the thread talking about people getting fed up with football I suppose. It looks pretty much like we have hit an unbreakable ceiling in terms of forward movement (or upward movement as the case may be).

Not sure about Texan's statement about people having short memories though. My memories of Burnley take in far more than the few relatively short years we were in the 3rd and 4th division wilderness. My memory contains us winning titles and being in cup finals and being a far better established top flight club than we are now, the 'wilderness' years were only a very tiny part of an otherwise long and illustrious history. Unfortunately many (not saying Texan by any means) use those years as some kind of yardstick that somehow defines the club and it simply doesn't, we have been in the past a major name in English football, and in some ways still are in terms of history etc. So many Clarets (me to a degree) still want more because we have had more in the past but the fact that we haven't isn't the fault of anyone at the club, it's the fault of a system that has become so skewed in favour of so few that the existence of the game as we currently know it is in danger of collapsing in on itself.

Best post in ages

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:56 pm

houseboy wrote:Last 8-10 years (and certainly the 'Dyche years') have been good. Of course everything is relative and what is good for some may not be for others. I'm pretty content with the way we've moved forward. My only concern now (and I'm pretty certain I'm not alone in this) is that unless things change somehow in a massive way we have probably come as far as it is possible for us to come. Unless something happens to level the playing field things are probably never going to get any better than they are now, which brings us back to the thread talking about people getting fed up with football I suppose. It looks pretty much like we have hit an unbreakable ceiling in terms of forward movement (or upward movement as the case may be).

Remaining a mid table Prem side wouldn't be too bad. It helps the town and we improve the infrastructure of the club.

However, If I was Sean Dyche I'd have the ultimate challenge of winning the Premier League with us. if you don't have ambitions like that, you're in the wrong job.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Mon Nov 04, 2019 2:57 pm

IanMcL wrote:A piddly little town has no right to prem football and little chance.

We are a football town miracle.
Years and years of being a top flight side in our history. 24 years unbroken in the old first division (not too many teams can boast that). I think when people keep going on about 'little old Burnley' they are being a bit small minded, you would think we had just come out of the marshes into the PL for the first time and it is some kind of miracle. The PL is just the top flight of English football, nothing more and nothing less, and as such we have spent huge amounts of our time in it. As for being a league one side at best (as someone said) because of our size that is nonsense because apart from a fairly brief period we haven't really spent much time there at all. Our total time in the bottom two divisions is peanuts compared to our time in the top flight alone, let alone the second tier.

Let's stop this being grateful for being 'where we shouldn't' and think that we have a right to be here, it's historically where we have been.
This user liked this post: Spike

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:02 pm

FactualFrank wrote:Remaining a mid table Prem side wouldn't be too bad. It helps the town and we improve the infrastructure of the club.

However, If I was Sean Dyche I'd have the ultimate challenge of winning the Premier League with us. if you don't have ambitions like that, you're in the wrong job.
Absolutely right about Dyche, he has to have ambitions to be champions, it's what people in sport (and business) do. Under the current financial situation though I ain't gonna hold my breath. :lol: :lol:

BOYSIE31
Been Liked: 264 times
Has Liked: 1111 times

Post by BOYSIE31 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:05 pm

Agree if you can put together a good team and mentality its suprising where it can take you - look at us in the past and also that Sheff utd team sat who 3 years ago were in league 1

ClaretAndJew
Been Liked: 2814 times
Has Liked: 503 times

Post by ClaretAndJew » Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:11 pm

It's been a good century. Winning the league twice. All good. Can't complain if we go under and die. We'll always have Orient.

Wile E Coyote
Been Liked: 2887 times
Has Liked: 1760 times

Post by Wile E Coyote » Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:29 pm

fans do have short, and sometimes selective memory.
If as many did on here, you endured the decades of ***** watching Burnley, then seeing us now in the top flight is miraculous indeed.
Fans often want much more too soon, they quickly get complacent about where we were no that long ago and expect us to be like Arsenal or Man city. I think the novelty of promotion has worn off, and supporters don't look at things objectively.
The Dyche years have been exceptional, and we should be happy with where we have managed to get to. I still get annoyed or frustrated with certain games , that's what football is about, but when you stop to think for a moment, its been a remarkable period for the club.
These 3 users liked this post: chekhov Chip Harrison k90bfc

IanMcL
Been Liked: 6340 times
Has Liked: 8651 times

Post by IanMcL » Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:36 pm

houseboy wrote:Years and years of being a top flight side in our history. 24 years unbroken in the old first division (not too many teams can boast that). I think when people keep going on about 'little old Burnley' they are being a bit small minded, you would think we had just come out of the marshes into the PL for the first time and it is some kind of miracle. The PL is just the top flight of English football, nothing more and nothing less, and as such we have spent huge amounts of our time in it. As for being a league one side at best (as someone said) because of our size that is nonsense because apart from a fairly brief period we haven't really spent much time there at all. Our total time in the bottom two divisions is peanuts compared to our time in the top flight alone, let alone the second tier.

Let's stop this being grateful for being 'where we shouldn't' and think that we have a right to be here, it's historically where we have been.
Founder member of the first football league and playing at the same ground.

Of course we have the history but so do other towns, none of which are now able to compete with the big cities and their mega rich owners, intent on developing their business model.

Capped wages were why we survived.
Youth policy and training ground were reasons for prosperity back then.

Now, we are a miracle.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10916 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:40 pm

absolutely amazing achievement tbh, one that we will look back on fondly and one that lots of us will ask "what could have been".

SalisburyClaret
Been Liked: 1104 times
Has Liked: 709 times

Post by SalisburyClaret » Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:49 pm

Amazing
We'll pinch ourselves in years to come

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6463 times
Has Liked: 2896 times

Post by Steve1956 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:57 pm

From Coyle to Dyche has been a golden period in the history of our club,I feel now Dyche has took us to heights i never thought I'd see,but we now seem to have hit the buffers and our games are terribly boring,where do we go from here,life in the Premier league for us is becoming rather tedious.

FactualFrank

Post by FactualFrank » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:01 pm

We wouldn't be where we are now had it not been for Owen Coyle.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:13 pm

Steve1956 wrote:From Coyle to Dyche has been a golden period in the history of our club,I feel now Dyche has took us to heights i never thought I'd see,but we now seem to have hit the buffers and our games are terribly boring,where do we go from here,life in the Premier league for us is becoming rather tedious.
Hi Steve mate. There are a growing number of people saying the same thing. I hate to say I told you so (actually I love it :lol: ) but all that time ago I predicted a boredom with the PL because of the tedium of constant survival battles and the lack of interest in cups (and I was laughed at by many) - sadly it seems to have come to pass. The delight of reaching the PL and the couple of survival seasons, combined with the excellent 'best of the rest' finish have now disappeared into the past and we are now dealing with the 'daily grind' of PL survival and the novelty has somewhat worn off for many because of that old demon stagnation (an excellent old track by Genesis incidentally). Life is all about at least trying to move forward, constant development etc. and that has come to a bit of a grinding halt. As I have said it's most definitely not the club's fault, it's just circumstances, but the effect is the same.

Maybe, just possibly, the board may release enough funding to bring a couple of players in to liven things up a little but any funding they give might not bring enough reward. And of course they have to consider the worst case scenario of relegation (which I don't think will happen) and all the resulting financial difficulties they will face if they bring in too high a priced players and accompanying wages.

The bugger of it all is no-one really has any answers.

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2307 times
Has Liked: 1033 times

Post by Clarets4me » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:21 pm

houseboy wrote:Years and years of being a top flight side in our history. 24 years unbroken in the old first division (not too many teams can boast that). I think when people keep going on about 'little old Burnley' they are being a bit small minded, you would think we had just come out of the marshes into the PL for the first time and it is some kind of miracle. The PL is just the top flight of English football, nothing more and nothing less, and as such we have spent huge amounts of our time in it. As for being a league one side at best (as someone said) because of our size that is nonsense because apart from a fairly brief period we haven't really spent much time there at all. Our total time in the bottom two divisions is peanuts compared to our time in the top flight alone, let alone the second tier.

Our average League position, since the League moved to 4 divisions in 1950, is 6th in the 2nd Division ...
This user liked this post: Chip Harrison

Steve1956
Been Liked: 6463 times
Has Liked: 2896 times

Post by Steve1956 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:26 pm

houseboy wrote:Hi Steve mate. There are a growing number of people saying the same thing. I hate to say I told you so (actually I love it :lol: ) but all that time ago I predicted a boredom with the PL because of the tedium of constant survival battles and the lack of interest in cups (and I was laughed at by many) - sadly it seems to have come to pass. The delight of reaching the PL and the couple of survival seasons, combined with the excellent 'best of the rest' finish have now disappeared into the past and we are now dealing with the 'daily grind' of PL survival and the novelty has somewhat worn off for many because of that old demon stagnation (an excellent old track by Genesis incidentally). Life is all about at least trying to move forward, constant development etc. and that has come to a bit of a grinding halt. As I have said it's most definitely not the club's fault, it's just circumstances, but the effect is the same.

Maybe, just possibly, the board may release enough funding to bring a couple of players in to liven things up a little but any funding they give might not bring enough reward. And of course they have to consider the worst case scenario of relegation (which I don't think will happen) and all the resulting financial difficulties they will face if they bring in too high a priced players and accompanying wages.

I know I'll get slated for this Ian,.....but I think a spell in the Championship is the answer.

cricketfieldclarets
Been Liked: 8585 times
Has Liked: 11285 times

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:27 pm

I would say since May 87 things have been bloody good. And especially since York 1992!
These 2 users liked this post: ClaretMov k90bfc

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2097 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:41 pm

houseboy wrote:Hi Steve mate. There are a growing number of people saying the same thing. I hate to say I told you so (actually I love it :lol: ) but all that time ago I predicted a boredom with the PL because of the tedium of constant survival battles and the lack of interest in cups (and I was laughed at by many) - sadly it seems to have come to pass. The delight of reaching the PL and the couple of survival seasons, combined with the excellent 'best of the rest' finish have now disappeared into the past and we are now dealing with the 'daily grind' of PL survival and the novelty has somewhat worn off for many because of that old demon stagnation (an excellent old track by Genesis incidentally). Life is all about at least trying to move forward, constant development etc. and that has come to a bit of a grinding halt. As I have said it's most definitely not the club's fault, it's just circumstances, but the effect is the same.

The odd cup run would provide a little bit of excitement, as would an improvement in our style of play.

Tricky Trevor
Been Liked: 2439 times
Has Liked: 1978 times

Post by Tricky Trevor » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:45 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:I would say since May 87 things have been bloody good. And especially since York 1992!
That was a great season but it will always be post-Stan and Barry Kilby for me.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:47 pm

Clarets4me wrote:Our average League position, since the League moved to 4 divisions in 1950, is 6th in the 2nd Division ...
Just out of interest what has it been in all our history? You can't just have a cut off date for our history regardless of how many divisions there were, even with the old 3rd North and South there were still 4 divisions and you could still be relegated from division two which we never were. As I have often said stats can prove anything you want them to if you present them in the right way.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:51 pm

Tricky Trevor wrote:That was a great season but it will always be post-Stan and Barry Kilby for me.
Was just good to be good finally for the first time in my life. And as a kid seeing us winning at whatever level was magic. Going home and away with mum, dad and sister. Special memories.
This user liked this post: Tricky Trevor

Hibsclaret
Been Liked: 1233 times
Has Liked: 490 times

Post by Hibsclaret » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:55 pm

It’s only when you look at the biggest club in the world, otherwise known as Leeds United, and their last 7 or 8 years to see how good we have been....

Enjoy these times while they last everyone....
This user liked this post: Vegas Claret

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:55 pm

jrgbfc wrote:The odd cup run would provide a little bit of excitement, as would an improvement in our style of play.
Agree about the cup run but that won't happen until we start taking them seriously and I'm a bit cynical in that direction. As for the style of play it's hard to say because being more entertaining (which we would all love) might bring about disaster in results. At least being boring is holding the ship together (but it may well drive people away). Some say the Championship would be best for us (and probably would in all ways but financial) but then pride wants us all to be in the top division.

But then you can't have your cake and eat it.

Vegas Claret
Been Liked: 10916 times
Has Liked: 5594 times

Post by Vegas Claret » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:57 pm

FactualFrank wrote:We wouldn't be where we are now had it not been for Owen Coyle.
or Jimmy Mullen

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:59 pm

houseboy wrote:Agree about the cup run but that won't happen until we start taking them seriously and I'm a bit cynical in that direction. As for the style of play it's hard to say because being more entertaining (which we would all love) might bring about disaster in results. At least being boring is holding the ship together (but it may well drive people away). Some say the Championship would be best for us (and probably would in all ways but financial) but then pride wants us all to be in the top division.

No. Championship would be a disaster. Look at the names in the bottom half and below. The bottom 12 - 10 of them have had good stints at this level.

jrgbfc
Been Liked: 2097 times
Has Liked: 336 times

Post by jrgbfc » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:03 pm

houseboy wrote:Agree about the cup run but that won't happen until we start taking them seriously and I'm a bit cynical in that direction. As for the style of play it's hard to say because being more entertaining (which we would all love) might bring about disaster in results. At least being boring is holding the ship together (but it may well drive people away). Some say the Championship would be best for us (and probably would in all ways but financial) but then pride wants us all to be in the top division.

Potter has gone in at Brighton and got them playing better football and getting results. Of course there was lots of "be careful what you wish for" when they sacked Chris Hughton but it shows its possible.

RalphCoatesComb
Been Liked: 2415 times
Has Liked: 2115 times

Post by RalphCoatesComb » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:15 pm

The last 10 years have been amazing. Who'd have thought that when SuBo "did one", we'd spend the majority of his "10 years ahead" in the Barclays Premier League, whereas his beloved Horwich would be struggling to pay the pie man!

Yes, we can dream of days gone by when we were Champions of England. Those days have gone and will probably never return.

For me, mid-table Premier League is as good as it gets and I am happy to be a small part of it. Obviously, we'd all like to watch the expansive play of Citeh and Liverpool but, given our resources, we need to continue punching above our weight and aiming to be "the best of the rest".

In Dyche we Trust

UTC

Ric_C
Been Liked: 742 times
Has Liked: 122 times

Post by Ric_C » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:16 pm

The style of football links with buying better players. The spell when we played 4-5-1 with Defour pulling the strings and Brady on top form, we were a pleasure to watch. We have also played effective football over the last two seasons at times. Especially with the emergence of McNeil who I love watching play.

However we have been crying out for a physical midfield destroyer since we lost Barton, and we still haven't addressed the lack of pace in the side. This makes us look very average when we are put under pressure.

It's always a tough one when we see the likes of Vydra, Brady and Gibson who hardly get a game (circa 40 million). But then we have spent wisely on other areas (Pope, Westwood, Wood, Tarky etc). Getting the balance right is hard for a club like us. Look at Brighton with Trossard. Once player can lift the entire side. I think Jarrod Bowen maybe the answer in that respect, but I feel the ship may have sailed on that one.

To answer the original question, I've preferred watching the last 7 years to slumming it in the championship with crowds of 10k.

Clarets4me
Been Liked: 2307 times
Has Liked: 1033 times

Post by Clarets4me » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:27 pm

houseboy wrote:Just out of interest what has it been in all our history? You can't just have a cut off date for our history regardless of how many divisions there were, even with the old 3rd North and South there were still 4 divisions and you could still be relegated from division two which we never were. As I have often said stats can prove anything you want them to if you present them in the right way.
I picked 1950 because it was the year both 3rd Divisions, North and South, expanded to 24 Clubs, to give us the 92 Club system that we had up to Bury's demise. The regional 3rd Divisions were phased out in 1958, when the national 3rd and 4th Divisions were established.

Steve-Harpers-perm
Been Liked: 1868 times
Has Liked: 835 times

Post by Steve-Harpers-perm » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:33 pm

As someone posted above we’ll look back on the last 7 years some day and realise how fantastic they have been. Us being in the top flight is also great for the town as a whole.
Don’t get the bored argument as it’s no different to finishing mid table in the championship which we did most seasons pre Coyle.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Nov 04, 2019 6:33 pm

The style generally is good. When we don't win it can be boring nd even frustrating. But its effective, we play to our strengths and we have moments of magic. I find that gets you off your seat / has an impact more tbh. As its often out of the blue.

Prime example is Barnes goal at WBA A season or two back.

There is also not much more satisfying than watching us battle to victory.

There is room for a little more flair. But I do love our grit.

AndrewJB
Been Liked: 1159 times
Has Liked: 754 times

Post by AndrewJB » Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:03 pm

It might seem like a stagnation, but I don’t think it is. Each year we seem to Bank more money each year, so perhaps we’ll be able to push the boat out when Dyche considers the omens right? Rather than stagnation, I think this is a plateau.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:03 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:No. Championship would be a disaster. Look at the names in the bottom half and below. The bottom 12 - 10 of them have had good stints at this level.
True but none of then went down in as good financial shape as we would. Besides I’m not advocating relegation here mate. I’m just saying from a playing point of view it may be far more enjoyable. We all seem to agree that our style is a tad dull and that is down to us being just a little out of depth. But must needs if we want to stay up.

cricketfieldclarets

Post by cricketfieldclarets » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:06 pm

houseboy wrote:True but none of then went down in as good financial shape as we would. Besides I’m not advocating relegation here mate. I’m just saying from a playing point of view it may be far more enjoyable. We all seem to agree that our style is a tad dull and that is down to us being just a little out of depth. But must needs if we want to stay up.
To me it isn't the style that annoys. Its our policies at times. BUT having said all that we always seem to come up trumps.

But I think we are often naïve in the transfer market, a little too cautious and too limited. We definitely need to look to gradually tweak it - especially from an age point of view.

If we go into next season with this squad starting the season I think we would be relegated. We definitely need to bring the age down and energy up!

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:10 pm

jrgbfc wrote:Potter has gone in at Brighton and got them playing better football and getting results. Of course there was lots of "be careful what you wish for" when they sacked Chris Hughton but it shows its possible.
But they do have more money than us and get bigger crowds (and they are a lovely club). :lol:

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:13 pm

Clarets4me wrote:I picked 1950 because it was the year both 3rd Divisions, North and South, expanded to 24 Clubs, to give us the 92 Club system that we had up to Bury's demise. The regional 3rd Divisions were phased out in 1958, when the national 3rd and 4th Divisions were established.
I understand that but but I was talking about our history. It doesn’t matter if there were 4 divisions or 24, we never played outside the top two.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:15 pm

AndrewJB wrote:It might seem like a stagnation, but I don’t think it is. Each year we seem to Bank more money each year, so perhaps we’ll be able to push the boat out when Dyche considers the omens right? Rather than stagnation, I think this is a plateau.
You could be right and I certainly hope you are.

houseboy

Post by houseboy » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:17 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:To me it isn't the style that annoys. Its our policies at times. BUT having said all that we always seem to come up trumps.

But I think we are often naïve in the transfer market, a little too cautious and too limited. We definitely need to look to gradually tweak it - especially from an age point of view.

If we go into next season with this squad starting the season I think we would be relegated. We definitely need to bring the age down and energy up!
I would agree with you on all this mate.

beeholeclaret
Been Liked: 287 times
Has Liked: 407 times

Post by beeholeclaret » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:19 pm

Some good points above and plenty of food for thought. Here are my thoughts and feelings having absorbed some of the excellent points above. It is very frustrating in the Premier League when we go on a run of 2 or 3 defeats a feeling of despair envelops most of us and we start looking at other players and managers and wishing they were at our club. I believe that we have a good model and that remaining in the Premier League and syphoning off money to improve the infrastructure (ie Gawthorpe training ground and of course Turf Moor) is the way to do things. Its a thin line between maintaining the ground and facilities and spending on new players. Which of these elements gives the greater value for money at the end of the day? Record signing Ben Gibson cost £15m plus no doubt a tidy sum in wages and similar stories with Vydra, Brady, Hart who have not impressed too much on the field of play despite arriving with impressive credentials. I was looking at some archive Claret material over the weekend from the good old days of the late 1960's when I first attended the Turf as a boy. I still cherish those early days of watching the Clarets when we were towards the end of the 24 successive seasons in the English top division. The golden days of league championship and FA Cup final were behind us and the lifting of the maximum wage meant that we could no longer compete with the big wages on offer at clubs like Man United, Spurs, Liverpool and Man City. This almost certainly meant that the cream of the young talent around the UK headed away from Burnley and our lifeline was substantially cut. Looking back though to the late 1960's we finished 14th in the first division for 5 seasons in a row before eventually being relegated in 1970-71. The crowds for games against the likes of WBA, Stoke and Nottingham Forest were generally in the region of 13,000 and we got thumped 8-2 at West Brom and suffered 7-0 defeats at Spurs and Man City. So in my opinion at the moment we are not a million miles away from that situation. A workmanlike team striving to keep pace with the money men. I seem to remember back then we were often knocked out the cup by teams from the lower leagues (Oxford United, Torquay, Aston Villa (Div3) , Port Vale plus Wimbledon who were non league) so nothing new there. We must support the manager and the players even if we are upset on a Saturday evening following a defeat. Lets hope Dyche can tweak a few things and that we get a few breaks. A win on Saturday will have us breathing down the necks of the top 6 believe it or not. We are a point behind Manchester United and clubs like Spurs and Everton are struggling despite massive spending. The 3 defeats we have suffered are against teams in the top 6 who are on top form and 2 of the games were away from home. Confidence is important so abuse of players and management from drunken fans (as at Bramall Lane) is the last thing that is needed at the current time. These guys may as well support the opposition as players without confidence will stop passing, stop looking for the ball and basically shy away from the action if they can get away with it. Lets hope Wood is back on Saturday and that Barnes can rediscover the early season form. Apologies for lengthy post - I dont post often so everything in one essay! :-( UTC
This user liked this post: Chip Harrison

claretnproud

Post by claretnproud » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:40 pm

beeholeclaret wrote:Some good points above and plenty of food for thought. Here are my thoughts and feelings having absorbed some of the excellent points above. It is very frustrating in the Premier League when we go on a run of 2 or 3 defeats a feeling of despair envelops most of us and we start looking at other players and managers and wishing they were at our club. I believe that we have a good model and that remaining in the Premier League and syphoning off money to improve the infrastructure (ie Gawthorpe training ground and of course Turf Moor) is the way to do things. Its a thin line between maintaining the ground and facilities and spending on new players. Which of these elements gives the greater value for money at the end of the day? Record signing Ben Gibson cost £15m plus no doubt a tidy sum in wages and similar stories with Vydra, Brady, Hart who have not impressed too much on the field of play despite arriving with impressive credentials. I was looking at some archive Claret material over the weekend from the good old days of the late 1960's when I first attended the Turf as a boy. I still cherish those early days of watching the Clarets when we were towards the end of the 24 successive seasons in the English top division. The golden days of league championship and FA Cup final were behind us and the lifting of the maximum wage meant that we could no longer compete with the big wages on offer at clubs like Man United, Spurs, Liverpool and Man City. This almost certainly meant that the cream of the young talent around the UK headed away from Burnley and our lifeline was substantially cut. Looking back though to the late 1960's we finished 14th in the first division for 5 seasons in a row before eventually being relegated in 1970-71. The crowds for games against the likes of WBA, Stoke and Nottingham Forest were generally in the region of 13,000 and we got thumped 8-2 at West Brom and suffered 7-0 defeats at Spurs and Man City. So in my opinion at the moment we are not a million miles away from that situation. A workmanlike team striving to keep pace with the money men. I seem to remember back then we were often knocked out the cup by teams from the lower leagues (Oxford United, Torquay, Aston Villa (Div3) , Port Vale plus Wimbledon who were non league) so nothing new there. We must support the manager and the players even if we are upset on a Saturday evening following a defeat. Lets hope Dyche can tweak a few things and that we get a few breaks. A win on Saturday will have us breathing down the necks of the top 6 believe it or not. We are a point behind Manchester United and clubs like Spurs and Everton are struggling despite massive spending. The 3 defeats we have suffered are against teams in the top 6 who are on top form and 2 of the games were away from home. Confidence is important so abuse of players and management from drunken fans (as at Bramall Lane) is the last thing that is needed at the current time. These guys may as well support the opposition as players without confidence will stop passing, stop looking for the ball and basically shy away from the action if they can get away with it. Lets hope Wood is back on Saturday and that Barnes can rediscover the early season form. Apologies for lengthy post - I dont post often so everything in one essay! :-( UTC
congratulations....the longest paragraph I almost read :)
This user liked this post: beeholeclaret

Darnhill Claret
Been Liked: 498 times
Has Liked: 992 times

Post by Darnhill Claret » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:42 pm

Let’s have some balance here. What we are witnessing right now is remarkable. A few might have been around for our most recent Cup Final, or top flight championship, but you do have to go back more than half a century. The maximum wage meant that we weren’t too far behind the big clubs financially as far as wages were concerned, unlike today. For us to achieve more than we currently are doing, would be fantastic and we are trying to improve further but it isn’t easy. It just seems that we should all be pulling in the same direction, rather than a percentage of supporters intimating that the club could be doing more, if they really wanted to. It’s a long haul is this success lark, just like those years of failure were. That’s when we had reason to complain.

Spijed
Been Liked: 2892 times
Has Liked: 1294 times

Post by Spijed » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:44 pm

cricketfieldclarets wrote:To me it isn't the style that annoys. Its our policies at times.
Has another club even come close to what we've achieved in recent times (getting in to Europe etc.) when you look at the size of BFC?

Our policies have been far more successful than the vast majority of clubs in football!